Emily Olivia Leah Blunt (born February 23, 1983 in London) is an English-American actress.
She began her film career with a bang in the lesbian love story My Summer of Love and was quickly rocketed to international attention when she appeared in The Devil Wears Prada. Both were enough to get her nominated for the BAFTA's Orange Rising Star Award (which was claimed by Eva Green in the end). Much was expected of her, though her filmography over the next few years was a rollercoaster of critical hits (Sunshine Cleaning, The Adjustment Bureau, The Young Victoria etc) and some major misfires (The Wolfman, Gulliver's Travels).
Things took a major upswing in 2014 first with the Sleeper Hit Edge of Tomorrow in which Emily received rave reviews for her Action Girl performance (in a surprisingly feminist action flick, too). By the end of the year, her Golden Globe nominated performance in Into the Woods catapulted her to the A-list.
She's been perpetually courted for the various franchises out there. She was going to be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Black Widow — but contractual obligations to Gulliver's Travels led to her dropping out and getting replaced with Scarlett Johansson, who was heavily campaigning for the role in the first place. Drew Goddard also reportedly wanted her for the Sinister Six movie that remains in Development Hell. She finally got to be part of a franchise as of 2018 with Mary Poppins Returns — playing none other than the iconic Magical Nanny. She's also got Brony cred due to her voicing Tempest Shadow in My Little Pony: The Movie (2017).
Films with pages on TV Tropes:
- My Summer of Love (2004) as Tamsin
- The Devil Wears Prada (2006) as Emily Charlton
- Charlie Wilson's War (2007) as Jane Liddle
- Dan in Real Life (2007) as Ruthie Draper
- The Jane Austen Book Club (2007) as Prudie
- Sunshine Cleaning (2008) as Norah Lorkowski
- The Young Victoria (2009) as Queen Victoria
- The Wolfman (2010) as Gwen Conliffe
- Gulliver's Travels (2010) as Princess Mary
- Wild Target (2010) as Rose
- The Adjustment Bureau (2011) as Elise Sellas
- Gnomeo and Juliet (2011) as Juliet (voice)
- Your Sister's Sister (2011) as Iris
- The Muppets (2011) as Miss Piggy's Receptionist
- Looper (2012) as Sara
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2012) as Harriet Chetwode-Talbot
- The Five-Year Engagement (2012) as Violet Barnes
- The Wind Rises (2013) as Naoko Satomi (voice, US dub)
- Edge of Tomorrow (2014) as Rita Vrataski
- Into the Woods (2014) as The Baker's Wife
- Sicario (2015) as Kate Macer
- The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016) as Freya
- The Girl on the Train (2016) as Rachel Watson
- My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) as Tempest Shadow
- Animal Crackers (2017) as Zoe Huntington
- A Quiet Place (2018) as Evelyn Abbott
- A Quiet Place Part II (2020)
- Sherlock Gnomes (2018) as Juliet (voice)
- Mary Poppins Returns (2018) as Mary Poppins
- Jungle Cruise (2020) as Lily Houghton
Tropes related to her work:
- Action Girl: After some moments of this in Looper and a few forays of Action Survivor in The Adjustment Bureau, she goes full-on this in Edge of Tomorrow, and in Sicario she plays an FBI agent chasing a mysterious drug lord. Her character in the My Little Pony movie is more of a Dark Action Girl. Her character in A Quiet Place doesn't fight as much, but she's no slouch in this department, either.
- Ms. Fanservice: Several examples, like Charlie Wilson's War, where she's in a scene in her panties, and Edge of Tomorrow. Especially when she does that yoga pose in her introductory scene in the latter, particularly since the pose gets repeated several times.
- What Could Have Been: She was originally cast to play Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe but was contractually obligated to do another movie (she signed a two-movie deal with Fox when she was cast in The Devil Wears Prada) that was filming at the same time as Iron Man 2 and had to drop out. She also turned down the role of Peggy Carter in the same franchise due to schedule issues.