The film is about J. Robert Oppenheimer, the theoretical physicist credited with being the "father of the atomic bomb" for his role in the Manhattan Project, the American World War II undertaking that developed the first Nuclear Weapons.
Cillian Murphy portrays Oppenheimer, amidst a very large cast that also includes Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Florence Pugh, Rami Malek, Emma Dumont, Benny Safdie, Josh Hartnett, Dane DeHaan, Jack Quaid, Matthew Modine, Dylan Arnold, Olli Haaskivi, Alden Ehrenreich, David Krumholtz, Michael Angarano, Kenneth Branagh, David Dastmalchian, Jason Clarke, Louise Lombard, Scott Grimes, Christopher Denham, James D'Arcy, Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman, Devon Bostick, Matthias Schweighöfer, Gustaf Skarsgård, Josh Peck, Alex Wolff, Tony Goldwyn and Olivia Thirlby.
The film is due to release on July 21, 2023.
Oppenheimer provides examples of:
- Iconic Item: Oppenheimer's pipe (which he had on the most famous photo of him) can be seen on a table in the teaser.
- Mononymous Biopic Title: The title is just one word, that being the surname of the man it's a biopic of, "Oppenheimer".
- The Power of the Sun: Someone says "The force from which the Sun draws its power has been loosed" in the teaser.
- Signature Headgear: Oppenheimer's fedora, which he's seen putting on in the teaser.
- Tick Tock Terror: There's an ominous ticking sound that's pounded in the teaser to accompany the fiery imagery as it's said that "The force from which the Sun draws its power has been loosed".