Unmarked spoilers below. Tread carefully if you haven't finished the game yet!
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara (JP); Grant George (EN)
The Protagonist, he is a young alchemist traveling the world. He was raised by his grandmother, Daphne, who was a great alchemist, and who left him her alchemy notebook. He is now on a journey for alchemic items and more information on Alchemy along with his Wood Mana friend, Popo. Klein becomes involved in greater things when he runs into Lita in the forest and is eventually recruited by her to become a Galgazit, or monster hunter. He uses a cane as a weapon.
- Battle Couple: With Lita.
- Berserk Button: Hurting or mistreating Mana is the only time he is shown to be angry.
- Chick Magnet: He is willing to go to great lengths for someone he's only just met. Lita refuses to admit it, Veola is pretty forward about her interest, and even Blaire eventually declares that she's added Klein to her list of acceptable potential suitors (which for Blaire is roughly equivalent to yanking Klein over the counter and frenching him).
- Childhood Friend: Has known Popo since he was a baby.
- The Chosen One: Zeldalia chose him to oppose Mull since she couldn't anymore. He feels a little overwhelmed, but defeating Mull was something that they would have to do anyway.
- Glass Cannon: Has some of the strongest attacks of the game, but can die really quickly against stronger enemies.
- Healer Signs On Early: Klein is both the most effective healer and the main character, so he's there from the get-go. The only other character with any healing ability (aside from tossing healing items) is Marietta, who doesn't join until somewhat late in the game, and even then, Klein would most likely be your main healer.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Averted. Klein's Weapon of Choice are staffs. An even further aversion is that he's not just the protagonist and hero of the story, but he's also the main healer.
- Human Resources: Klein can break down a lot of things into raw elements for later alchemy - including enemies, when he strikes the killing blow with his basic attack. Yes, even human enemies.
- Idiot Hair/Hair Antennae: It's like a pair of swept-back antennae in official artwork while his sprite in towns, combat, and the overworld has a much less pronounced cowlick.
- Idiot Hero: Lita even calls him as such very early in the game! However Klein is a downplayed example. He is diligent and fairly competent as alchemist, but is all but completely clueless about love.
- Item Caddy: Klein's main source of damage (or anything else, really) is mana items, which only he can create and use. Everyone can use regular store-bought (or synthesized) items, but they're not often as powerful as what Klein can conjure - especially if he uses the Power Item skill.
- Item Crafting: Due to being an alchemist, he'll craft a bunch of alchemy items if you are able to find the recipe for it.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: The Mana Items allows Klein to be an effective party member being able to heal allies or hit really hard groups of enemies.
- Magic Staff: Uses a cane in battle.
- Nice Guy: Is a kind fellow who refuses to join someone who mistreats Mana, and is someone who's quite fine with helping people.
- The Medic: Will most likely provide as the main healer of the group due to him being able to craft the efficient alchemy items.
- Oblivious to Love: He's clueless to Lita's feelings for him. Likewise, he seems the same way towards Veola.
- However, it's debatable in the case of Hein in the English version since his tone of voice seems after she flirts with him seems to show a more flustered yet eager tone to it.
- The Smurfette Principle: Inverted. He's the first male Atelier protagonist.
- Squishy Wizard: Can do serious damage with his Mana items. It's a shame he has horrible Defence.
Voiced by: Chinami Nishimura (JP); Wendee Lee (EN)
A spunky girl who works as a Galgazit in the city of Kavoc. She meets Klein when she stumbles upon him being attacked by a monster in the woods. She helps chase it off, insults Klein's fighting ability, and leaves. She eventually meets Klein again and invites him to become a monster hunter with her. Although Lita appears cheerful, outgoing, and perfectly normal, her past is a mystery and the events within may soon come to involve more than just herself. Uses metal claws for weapons.
- A-Cup Angst: She gets quite upset if you hint or allude to her small breast size.
- Action Girl: She literally gets hands-on in battle.
- Artificial Human: Lita is an artificial life form created by Iris Blanchmont.
- Battle Couple: With Klein.
- Berserk Button: As you may expect from a Tsundere, don't criticize on Lita's bust size.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When it comes to Klein.
- Cuteness Proximity: Practically gushes when she runs into something cute.
- Despair Event Horizon: Lita attempted to kill herself after she woke up from her stasis and seeing she was all alone, but was unable to.
- Give Her A Normal Life: Iris attempted to do this after entrusting her with the Ruby Prism to extend her life to a normal lifespan.
- Godiva Hair: While in the Mana Bath.
- Last of Her Kind: She is the only surviving Daughter of Iris - legendary beings created through alchemy. The main conflict of the story is to make a Ruby Prism to restore her lifespan.
- Living on Borrowed Time: After an encounter with Mull, her Ruby Prism, or power source, is stolen, and her mana maximum from that point on decreases naturally, only restorable by Mana Baths.
- Love at First Punch: She rescues Klein first and calls him a weakling after the battle for letting himself get ambushed.
- Nice Hat: Keeps a very nice hat on her head.
- Power Gives You Wings: A bit of an inversion. Lita sprouts her wings when her internal mana supply is drained, leaving her weak. She still has wings that betray her artificial nature, though.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches up to her butt.
- Super Mode: Lita learns to spring her wings and bring out her most potent attacks at will eventually.
- Sweet Tooth: It's pretty much guaranteed that the first time you make a new food or drink item at a shop, either she'll weigh in on its sweetness or Delsus will make a snarky remark about how much he expects her to like it.
- Tsundere: Complete with A-Cup Angst and her crush being the Nice Guy who's Oblivious to Love.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eventually with Veola. They start off hating each other and do come to terms, though both never quite drop their rivalry with Klein.
- Wolverine Claws: Uses Claws as weapons.
Voiced by: Kouichi Sakaguchi (JP); Crispin Freeman (EN)
An alcohol-loving, anti-sweets, woman-chasing, good-natured archer who resides in Kavoc. He first meets Klein in the local bar and eventually helps the alchemist and Lita escape from soldiers who want to force Klein to join their ranks. Although he can be a pervert, he is a good man at heart and soon becomes a repository of knowledge and loyal member of the team. He fights with a crossbow.
- The Alcoholic: Though not quite a heavy drinker, he's the only one who talks about getting some booze and dislikes sweet drinks.
- Automatic Crossbows: Uses one as his primary weapon.
- Awesome, but Impractical: His Spirit Blast skill. Though it does a phenomenal amount of either fire or ice damage, it costs 99 mana to cast (compared to his next most expensive skill, which is at 12 mana). That's likely most of his mana when you get it. It has its uses, especially as a high-damage panic button or against bosses, but even then watch out for elemental resistances.
- Battle Couple: With Marietta.
- Big Brother Worship: He's on the receiving end of this from his sister Faith.
- Butt-Monkey: If something bad happens to the group, he's usually the one it happens to.
- Deadpan Snarker: He can be pretty sarcastic at times. Especially in regards to Lita's Sweet Tooth.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: He does not like to be called Ashley.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: After having a taste of the Astral Sautee.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Delsus is the most balanced out of the party members and is also overall useful for most situations.
- Overly Long Name: His full name is revealed to be Sir Ghaleon Ashley Delsus Delvarood.
- Real Men Cook: It just takes practice according to him.
- Real Men Hate Sugar: Hates sweets and despises "chick" drinks due to their sweetness.
- The Runaway: He is the son of the chief of Duran, and ran away to avoid the Test of Parodius, the test to become the next village chief, which he passes with the help of Klein and friends.
- Trick Arrow: More or less justified as Delsus seems to change the "cartridges" of his crossbow before shooting.
Voiced by: Natsumi Yanase (JP); Melissa Fahn (EN)
A catgirl who is an apprentice magician to Zeldalia, an alchemist living in Poto's Forest. She was adopted by Zeldalia at a young age, and was taught many magical techniques. Zeldalia cast a spell on her so she can talk to the party while Norn travels with Klein. Norn joins the party after she steals Klein's grandmother's alchemy notebook and leads the party to her mentor. She frequently displays fatigue or hunger, which comes off as more catlike than human. She fights with a staff.
- Cat Girl: She even states that she does not like being referred to or called a cat but this trope instead. She's actually a mountain cat that Zeldalia gives human qualities to.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Actually gives one word in the English version when Klein and Lita disappear in the ruins near Poto's Forest, much to hers and Delsus' shock.Delsus: They just...disappeared...?!Norn: What?! Huh?! Nani?!
- Human Resources: Her Turn 2 Candy ability can turn enemies into snack foods with magic.
- Magic Staff: Uses floating staves in battle.
- Mind over Matter: Her Telekinesis ability.
- Nice Hat: Wears a witch's hat on her head.
- Precocious Crush: Appears to have one towards Klein since she likes clinging onto him and is quite affectionate towards him. Much to Lita's chagrin.
- Primal Fear: Afraid of heights.
- Squishy Wizard: Along with Klein, she has the worst Defense value out of the party.
- Third-Person Person: Occasionally in battle.
- Unusual Ears: Her ears are naturally like a cat's, but she doesn't like others to touch them unless she's close to them.
- Uplifted Animal: She was a mountain cat that Zeldalia personified.
- Verbal Tic: Meow in the English version, and Nya in the Japanese.
Voiced by: Soichiro Hoshi (JP); Steve Blum (EN)
A mysterious swordsman who is out for revenge against the game's villain, Mull. No one knows his reasons behind this, except he wishes to go to Avenberry for some reason. Arlin has been seen conversing with a strange Mana, although he confides nothing of his plans with the party for some time. He fights with a sword.
- Artificial Human: Arlin is actually an artificial lifeform like Lita, but he was created by Mull.
- The Berserker: His Berserker Skill raises his attack but lowers hid defense.
- Berserk Button: Seeing Mull will instantly get Arlin to go ballistic.
- Bishounen: He's quite pretty and slender looking.
- Cool Sword: Uses one in battle.
- Crutch Character: Downplayed. He's incredibly useful when he first joins and never really declines, but he bails on the party at about the halfway mark of the game and doesn't return until postgame, leaving the players who came to rely on him to survive boss fights in for a nasty surprise.
- Deadpan Snarker: He's one of the most mature members of the party and has a very dry sense of humor.
- Duel Boss: He can actually be fought twice as part of the story. The first one is a Hopeless Boss Fight while the second one is based on luck.
- Flawed Prototype: Mull view Arlin and his 'brothers' as this. Also, unlike Lita, trying to use the Ruby Prism would shatter him.
- Guest-Star Party Member: He leaves the party after Avenberry. Subverted after beating the game, as a new optional dungeon appears and he can be found and recruited.
- Ineffectual Loner: He tries to operate on his own, but he's incapable of taking down Mull on his own.
- Lightning Bruiser: Fast, strong with physical and magic attacks, and also having a good balance of Speed and Defense.
- Living on Borrowed Time: He is only alive because of a pact with the Time Mana.
- Revenge: What drives him. Mull created Arlin and his brother (who wasn't even named) and left both to die since he viewed both as failures, Arlin is dead set on making Mull pay.
- Taken for Granite: His ultimate fate unless you manage to save him later, doing a post-game sidequest.
- Teleportation: Teleports to save Norn from Beggur, though he mentions that it makes him dizzy and tires him out so he doesn't use it often.
Voiced by: Voiced by: Yuka Shioyama (JP); Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (EN)
A former Knight of the Alkavana who left the organization when it began to become corrupt and power-hungry. She joins with Klein's group halfway through the story when they help her fight off pursuing knights and ends up staying around to help them save the world. She fights with a sword.
- Battle Couple: With Delsus.
- Big Eater: As a career warrior, Marietta believes that one should never pass up the opportunity for a meal as who knows when a fight is going to break out. Though Klein is rather daunted by what she appears to consider a small meal or snack.
- Can't Catch Up: Marietta arrives with a serious dearth of skill points as she comes halfway through the game. She could be struggling to max out two skills while everyone else has only two skills not maxed. She more or less make up for this by being sturdy and hitting really hard with her normal attacks, though.
- Healing Hands: The only one capable of using healing magic besides Klein. She cannot heal the entire party all at once, however.
- Lady of War: Probably the best example in the game.
- Magic Knight: A sturdy swordswoman who can also throw around some healing and lightning magic.
- Mighty Glacier: Marietta has excellent physical attacks, but her Speed is depressing.
- Shock and Awe: Knows lightning magic.
- Stone Wall: Capable of filling this role due to her naturally high defenses and healing abilities. A defensive Marietta will be really difficult to kill aside from one-hit kills and the strongest bosses of the game, but won't do any remarkable damage.
- Whip Sword: Check her picutre: it's her weapon. Sometimes when camping or resting at Kavoc you can see her playing with the sword by stretching it too.
Voiced by: Rie Kanada (JP); Sandy Fox (EN)
The Mana Spirit of Wood. He is with Klein, who named him Popo, at the start of the game. He also provides the player with tutorials on certain aspects of the game; these tutorials often contain comic relief segments with Klein.
- Exposition Fairy: Hilariously doubles up as he actually is a fairy, as well as the Mana of Wood.
- Green Thumb: The Mana of Wood.
- He Knows About Timed Hits: "Popo's Fourth-Wall Lecture"
- The Medic: Provides healing for the party in the camp or base.
- Really 700 Years Old: Being a spirit and all.
- Shipper on Deck: For Klein x Lita at first, though it could just be teasing since this is the only time he ever does so.
Uru and Grupt
Voiced by (Uru): Yukari Kokubn (JP); Brian Silva (EN)
Voiced by (Grupt): Daiki Itou (JP); ??? (EN)
Uru is the Mana Spirit of Fire, and can transform into Grupt, the Mana Spirit of Power. His special ability, Destruction Blast, allows the player to destroy certain objects on the screen.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He joins Klein for saving him from the Alkavana Knights.
- Playing with Fire: The Mana of Fire.
- Power Makes Your Voice Deep: His voice deepens a notch and becomes more gruff upon transforming.
- Surfer Dude: His English voice sounds a lot like one.
Plua and Fantos
Voiced by (Plua): Kazuyo Ouchi (JP); ??? (EN)
Voiced by (Fantos): Machiko Kawana (JP); ??? (EN)
Plua is the Mana Spirit of Darkness, and can transform into Fantos, the Mana Spirit of Evil. Her special ability gathers nearby monsters for the player to battle, though it does not always work.
- Casting a Shadow: The Mana of Darkness.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite he element being Darkness, she is very polite and softspoken. The most malicious thing she's even done is play a prank on Popo during the lecture featuring her.
- Encounter Bait: Plua's special ability is to attract monsters towards you.
- The Stoic: Doesn't seem flappable in the slightest.
- When She Smiles: Though we don't dreally see it on her portrait, her sprite is utterly adorable when it's happy.
Voiced by: Takayuki Sasaki (JP); ??? (EN)
The Mana Spirit of Stone. His special ability allows him to act as a glorified stepladder so the player can reach places otherwise inaccessible...a fate he occasionally has been known to lament about.
- Boring, but Practical: His ability helps you explore more without anything fancy or extra.
- Heavy Sleeper: More than the other mana.
- Really 700 Years Old: It's implied he's old even by Mana standards.
- Rock Monster: Basically, he's living stone.
Silwest and Zeilia
Voiced by (Silwest): Yumi Morooka (JP); Allison Keith (EN)
Voiced by (Zeilia): Yukari Kokubun (JP); ??? (EN)
Silwest is the Mana Spirit of Air, and evolves into Zeilia, The Mana Spirit of Lightning. Her special ability, Barrier, creates a barrier that allows the player to travel over hazards that would otherwise prove a hindrance, such as lightning and lava.
- Blow You Away: Her specialty is wind magic.
- Deflector Shields: Generates a barrier that lets you cross over environmental hazards.
- Shock and Awe: The Mana Spirit of Lightning.
- Totally Radical: How she speaks can come across as this.
Nymph and Flay
Voiced by (Nymph): Emiri Katou (JP); ??? (EN)
Voiced by (Flay): Yuka Kuroda (JP); ??? (EN)
Nymph is the Mana Spirit of Water, and can transform into Flay, the Mana Spirit of Spirit. She also has the Barrier action.
- The Cutie: Of all the spirits, she's the most childish and sweet.
- Deflector Shields: Generates a barrier that lets you cross over environmental hazards.
- Jumped at the Call: The moment you find her, she pretty much jumped on board.
- Making a Splash: Nymph is the Mana of Water.
Voiced by: Noriko Ouhashi (JP); ??? (EN)
The Mana Spirit of Life. She is one of the oldest of the Mana Spirits, second only to the Mana Spirit of Creation, Lilith. She has the ability to heal the entire party at will, when the player calls on her.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Mentions that it actually pains her to not help those in need.
- Healing Hands: Her ability Life allows her to heal others.
- Cast from Hit Points: However, it takes from her own energy to do so.
Eital and Paltia
Voiced by (Eital): Shouko Ishii (JP); ??? (EN)
Voiced by 9Paltia): Taeko Sugimori (JP); ??? (EN)
Eital is the Mana Spirit of Light; she evolves into Paltia, the Mana Spirit of Holy. Her special ability drives away monsters for a limited time.
- Encounter Repellant: Eital's special ability is to drive monsters away from you.
- Light 'em Up: The Mana of Light.
- Little Bit Beastly: She has some traits of animals like a tail and horns, but otherwise looks pretty human.
Voiced by: Kazuhiko Hiroyama (JP); ??? (EN)
The Mana Spirit of Time. He is often seen with Arlin.
Voiced by: Yuko Kagata (JP); Brianne Brozey (EN)
A cute, giggly ghost who befriends some of Kavoc's children, and she becomes good friends with Klein's party. She has amnesia, so she cannot remember how she died, so she is looking for her original body to try to remember her past, but this does not affect her good humor. She enjoys being a ghost, and always says she's looking for a cute guy to be with.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Played for Laughs. She gets a big crush on Arlin when she first sees him. She then immediately asks him out, to which he rejects in his own way. She then has an over-the-top reaction until she's told that he's not a ghost.
- Beauty Mark: Has one under her left eye.
- Chekhov's Gunman: At first, she seems like a comic relief character, but eventually helps you translate some writing in a ruin that she remembers from when she was alive.
- Drama Queen: Has a really over-the-top reaction when she gets rejected by Arlin.
- Friendly Ghost: She's rather pleasant to be around and the children love her.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Her elegant dress and bonnet are a deep, dark purple shade.
- Legacy Character: Ghost girls named Pamela Iblis are present throughout the Atelier series, one first appearing in Atelier Judie.
- Love at First Sight: Gets a big crush on Arlin just from looking at him.
- Vague Age: Due to her being a ghost, it's not really certain just how old she really is.
Voiced by: Mariko Suzuki (JP); Barbara Goodson (EN)
An old witch and alchemist. She was best friends with Daphne, Klein's grandmother, and she becomes a valued ally of the party. She is also Norn's teacher and surrogate mother. When far away, she actually uses Norn as a "telephone", making her go to sleep and talking through her. Zeldalia is wise and serious, and she recognizes Klein's importance in taking down Mull. Although her alchemical skills have maintained her superficially young, the weight of time has actually taken its toll on her, and she constantly suffers from a bad hip.
- *Crack!* "Oh, My Back!": A Running Gag is that whenever the party comes to visit her, she's on the floor because her back is acting up rather than being in any sort of danger.
- Magic Staff: One can be seen in her official artwork as well as it following her around her sprite.
- Nice Hat: Like nearly every other Alchemist.
- Older Than They Look: She looks like a young girl, but she's actually the same age as Klein's grandmother. Justified in that she tried to use alchemy to become young again, but it only made her appearance young. Her back keeps acting up.
- People Puppets: Can take control of Norn when she's asleep to communicate.
- Really 700 Years Old: It's even more apparent in the English version. Despite appearing like a young girl, she has the voice and mannerisms of a stately old woman.
- True Blue Femininity: In contrast to Norn, her primary colour is blue, and she's a more mature lady.
- We Used to Be Friends: She and Mull used to study alchemy together.
Voiced by: Miki Takahashi (JP); ??? (EN)
The titular heroine of the game, human incarnation of Lilith and reputed last survivor of Eden. Iris lived during the age of Avenberry and developed the art of alchemy greatly. Her theories, called Iris' Theories, are still widely used by alchemists today, including Klein. Iris is a recurring character in the later Atelier Iris games.
- The Ace: As far as alchemists go, she's noted for being the best. She even created the Aroma Material that can bring out the full power of other Mana.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Lost her and five of her creations sealing away Amalgam.
- Posthumous Character Dead long before the beginning of the series.
- Virtual Ghost: A holographic record of her appears at several places.
Voiced by: ??? (JP); Steve Kramer (EN)
The owner of the bar at the city of Kavoc who is the first to greet Klein. He has a peaceful personality, but he works as an agent to provide backdoor jobs to mercenaries. He has been living at Kavoc for the longest time and he has many connections there.
- The Bartender: His day job.
- Knowledge Broker: Picks up a lot of information that he slides to Klein and the others.
- Like a Daughter to Me: Treats Veola this way, which is why he's happy that Klein's group are visiting the magic shop more. He believes it'll bring her out of her shell.
- Outliving One's Offspring: He had a daughter before he died when she was young. It's left him with regrets.
- Quest Giver: He's the one who requests work from the group the most.
Voiced by: Mariko Suzuki (drama CD)The owner of the magic shop in Kavoc. She is a very taciturn and reserved girl, bordering on anti-social, but as the game progresses she starts to open up more and becomes good friends with Klein and his crew, though she wishes she could be more than friends with Klein. Because of this, she also develops a not-so-friendly rivalry with Lita over winning Klein over, but they eventually become good friends.
- Broken Bird: Though it takes a while to find out just how broken. Specifically, "Emotionless Girl out to commit an elaborate, deniable, and roundabout form of suicide" broken.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A bit with Klein. She learns how to make bread just for him and then tells him that she made it with "lots of love".
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Coming to her shop more often and synthesising with her will gradually have her melt her icy walls.
- Doomed Hometown: Her hometown was destroyed in a single night when Growloons appeared.
- Everything Is Better With Explosions: She's the one who makes the bombs the party can use.
- Giver of Lame Names: Her items leave a lot to be desired name-wise, a fact Lita ribs her over.
- Good with Numbers: Good enough she could be an instructor.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Designs them. Lita constantly ribs her about her fashion sense.
- Nice Hat: Wears one that wouldn't be out of the way of an alchemist.
- The Shut-In: She only leaves the shop for items and books when necessary.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She initially seems like a borderline Emotionless Girl, but the more you get to know her, she shows a more caring and warmer side.
- Survivor's Guilt: When her hometown was destroyed, she only survived because her brother protected her through the night and died in the process.
- Sweet Tooth: Has one, just like Lita.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Lita. They hate each other at first but do come around eventually. Though neither is giving up on Klein.
BlaireAn apprentice baker in Arcose. She has a very explosive temper, but can also be very sweet. She is also an incredibly gifted baker, and she constantly tries to develop new, more amazing styles of bread. She also secretly makes candy, and wishes to add candy to the store's menu. She also develops a slight crush on Klein. Her full name is Blairetta Montague Trumpet.
- Accidental Public Confession: Klein originally walks in on her plotting revenge against someone.
- Fallen Princess: She was the daughter of a very rich family, but tragic circumstances led to her becoming a peasant, and she started over by becoming an apprentice to Arcose's head baker. She is very nostalgic about her past.
- Impoverished Patrician: She comes from a Blue Blood family and has her share of Rich Bitch pride. The reason she's working in a bakery is because her family went under.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: In the past. So much so she didn't know that a Potato grew from the roots.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Villa.
TotopopOne of many mythical beasts in the world. It lives quietly in a place called the "Hidden town of the Mythical beasts". These rare animals are capable of speaking the human language and possess advanced civilizations and cultures. Gives the medicine allowing you to transform.
- Talking Animal: Looks like a rabbit, but quite fluent.
- Flower in Her Hair: Has a blue flower in its hair.
- Genius Ditz: She helped make the Chronolex, which can tear open a dimensional rift to the underworld.
- Magic Music: Has access to a 6 String Accoustic that will put people to sleep.
- Really 700 Years Old: Mentions that its been hundreds of years since it has spoken to a human. And that she was around over a 1000 years ago, before Avonberry.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Adorable looking really.
MofumaAnother mythical beast who lives in the same place as Totopop. He creates delicacies from the beast world for the party to try.
- Beary Friendly: He's fairly friendly while appearing to be a teddy bear.
- Talking Animal: Looks like a bear, but speaks in slightly accented and broken English.
- Really 700 Years Old: It's been hundreds of years since he's seen humans before.
OscarAn infamous chef who once worked as the head chef for the royal palace. He left the royal palace because he became tired with his colleagues who lost their passion for culinary arts and spoiled themselves with fame.
As a groupThe Alkavana knights are a group of knights who reign the city of Kavoc. They were originally knights who upheld their duty and did things for justice, but now not only pull their weight around but bully other people. They are led by Beggur Lixiss, who is Marietta's older brother, and make up of five younger knights: Ein, Zwei, Drei, Vier, and Neun. Beggur originally wants Klein to join his knights but gets angered when rebuked. As a result, he won't stop until he can beat him, and is a recurring antagonistic force.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: In the end, they come across as this, especially when compared to the more sinister Mull.
- Knight in Shining Armor: All of them appear to be this, though it's an interesting version where they do believe they're doing what's for the common good, but are viewed as being bullies and disliked by the folks of Kavoc.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The group as a whole.
- Team Pet: Neun's pig, Tonta, can be considered this.
- Theme Naming: All of the knights are named after German numbers to denote their position. So, Ein is 1 and the right-hand man of Beggur, Zwei is number 2, Drei is 3, etc.
- Undying Loyalty: All of the knights have this towards Beggar.
Voiced by: Tessho Genda (JP); Jamieson Price (EN)
The leader of the Alkavana knights who are fanatically loyal to him. Although he supposedly starts off as the main villain of the game, Beggur quickly turns into a comic relief not-so-bad guy, as the more menacing Mull takes center stage as villain. He is also Marietta's older brother.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He seems to be nothing more than comical relief, but then the Succubus boss battle happens.
- Happily Married: This is why he was able to resist the Succubus' powers and advances - because he's so devoted to his wife.
- Heel Realization: Upon the final duel against him, he realizes what he's done and strives to atone for his actions with his knights still loyally following him.
- Hot-Blooded: There's really not much time this guy is calm or settled down.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Probably due to his Large Ham tendencies and how he does genuinely care for his subordinates.
- Large Ham: Doesn't seem to have an indoor voice and is usually heard yelling.
- The Leader: Is this to the Alkavana knights who all join him out of respect.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Believes power is needed to do his job and willing to force mana into compliance as well as Klein if he can.
Voiced by: ??? (JP); Derek Stephen Prince (EN)
The squad leader for the Knights of Alkavana, he admires his leader Beggur. Like Beggur, he is hot tempered, hates wrong doings, and stands firm to his own beliefs. To protect the peace of Kavoc and Avenberry he fights the evil of this world (or so he thinks). Unfortunately, he doesnt notice that hes the one who is causing the trouble in the city.
- Charged Attack: Has one in the form of his Sky Dragon's Evil Bane attack.
- Fiery Redhead: It's more of a ginger color, but it still counts.
- Hot-Blooded: Like his leader.
- Theme Naming: Ein is number one in German, which alludes to his position as Beggur's right-hand man and being number one of the Alkavana Knights.
- Undying Loyalty: To Beggur.
Voiced by: ??? (JP); Dean Wein (EN)
The number 2 of the Knights of Alkavana. His skill as a knight is the highest among the five, but he dislikes being in a leading position. Though appearing calm and cool, he is quite hardboiled. Whenever Ein gets out of hand, Zwei is usually the one stopping him. Back in his old days, Zwei was helped by Beggur. He joined the knights to show his appreciation towards Beggur, but he tends to act on his own.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He pledges his allegiance to Beggur because he helped him out before in the past.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Out of all the Alkavana Knights, he's the one who probably fits this the most by being a good-looking blonde knight who does his duty.
- Only Sane Man: Considering how wacky the other knights can be, he's the only one who looks the most normal and sane.
- Hell, when Beggur becomes dramatic while swearing vengeance on Klein after getting beaten by him, Zwei is the one to say (in a rather casual manner, too) that that's enough for today, and he and Ein drag away a still ranting Beggur.
- Theme Naming: Zwei is number two in German, alluding to his position as the second of the Alkavana Knights.
- Undying Loyalty: To Beggur.
Voiced by: ??? (JP); Bob Papenbrook (EN)
The number 3 of the Knights of Alkavana, he is really not that interested in being a knight. Instead, he loves to eat 24/7. He is mild tempered and slow paced, as long as he has food in his hands. If he ever loses his food, he becomes a one mean man.
- Big Eater: So much so he'll eat in battle... and it'll heal him.
- Theme Naming: Drei is three in German, and he's the third of the Alkavana Knights.
Voiced by: ??? (JP); Paula Tiso (EN)
The number 4 of the Knights of Alkavana, she used to work at a bar, but fell in love with Beggurs personality and joined the knights. Since Vier does not intend to become a knight, she is very reluctant with her work. Usually, Vier is lazy, but if Beggur is ever in trouble, she becomes extremely powerful. Neun is like a little sister to her.
- Shock and Awe: Knows lightning magic.
- The Tease: Certainly gives off this impression with her pose and her voice. Especially when she and Neun cornered Norn.
Voiced by: ??? (JP); Michelle Ruff (EN)
The number 5 of the Knights of Alkavana. She used to be an orphan, but Beggur adopted her and she became a knight. She has very little combat experiences, but her knowledge and skills as a mechanic enables her to work as an engineer for the team. It may be because Neun was an orphan, but she is an extremely shy girl, although she is not shy with Beggur and Vier. Her best friend is her pet pig, Tonta.
- Apologetic Attacker: She apologizes for having to fight you.
- Heartwarming Orphan: Was an orphan who Beggur adopted.
- The Medic: Uses healing magic which can make her quite a nuisane in battle.
- Meganekko: Wears a pair of glasses.
- Shrinking Violet: Is very shy to everyone except Beggur and Vier.
- Status Buff: Can power up her allies.
Voiced by: Tohru Inada (JP); Lex Lang (EN)
The game's antagonist. A former friend of Zeldalia and Daphne, as well as a gifted alchemist, Mull differed from the philosophies he was taught (Iris's theories on alchemy), and decided to follow his own path to alchemical mastery. Unfortunately, this path consists of abusing Mana to his own twisted ends.
Mull romanticizes former times of strife, in which humans abused and manipulated Mana to their own ends, and seeks to revive Amalgam, an abomination created from forcibly fusing many Mana together into one powerful, mad being, which occurred years ago and caused the ruin of Avenberry. Mull and Arlin know and hate each other deeply, and he still sometimes visits Zeldalia, mostly to gloat over his successes and make fun of Zeldalia's "weakness" of using alchemy to help others instead of for personal gain.
- Evil Albino: He is the main villain and has pale skin, white hair, and red eyes.
- Evil Counterpart:
- To Arlin. The two can even be mistaken for twins in appearance alone.
- Also to Klein. He's exactly what Klein would be if Klein didn't have any morals or care towards Mana.
- For Science!: He believes fusing mana will generate more power and advance humanity through Alchemy.
- Towards Iris. While Iris and Mull were both extremely talented alchemists Mull let his ambition overcome his morals and started to use mana as he pleased becoming the monster he is now. Like Iris he also created artificial life, Arlin and an unamed brother, but treated them like nothing more than disposable trash in contrast to Iris who even named her creation "Daughter of Iris".
- Also acts like one towards Klein. Klein is still a mana-loving alchemist learning things and is always open to people teaching him new alchemic skills and always rushes to help people whenever he can. Mull on the other hand is close-minded, arrogant and thinks he has all knowledge he needs and has nothing but contempt for anyone in his way and uses mana carelessly as he pleases.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Mull is ultimately killed by the Amalagam.
- Lack of Empathy: What makes Mull truly irredeemable. He cares about no one and nothing, human or mana.
- Really 700 Years Old: Since he actually studied alchemy alongside Zeldalia and Daphne, who is Klein's grandmother, he fits into this trope. Especially with how he looks a lot like Arlin, and Arlin's bio states that he is 18.
- Smug Snake: Is in the end this, since you don't even face him, nor is he the final person, or thing for that matter, that you face.
- The Unfought: Much to the frustration of the players.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Zeldalia and Daphne.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He has silver hair and is the main antagonist.
The AmalgamThe Final Boss who is made from many kinds of Mana that Mull tried to create. Mull considers it the "Perfect Mana".
- The Assimilator: Consumes other mana, taking them into itself and destroying them in the process.
- Continuity Cameo: The Amalgam returns as a Bonus Boss in Atelier Iris 2.
- Eldritch Abomination: It looks like some kind of cross between a frilly fantasy airship and an undead insect made of dragon bones, with huge angel wings. An orb like a Growloon floats in its "mouth" and occasionally turns into some mis-proportioned predatory pixie creature (among other things) when using some of its skills.
- Guttural Growler: In the English dub it growls with a deep, feral, roar whenever it uses its most potent attacks. Weirdly enough the Japanese dub the boss makes a much more "delicate" sound when attacking.
- HP to 1: Not quite there but Reason's Requiem will make the HP of the entire party plummet to single digits.
- Lack of Empathy: Being an Eldritch Abomination it
- Light Is Not Good: Can take form of an angelical being while fighting your team.
- Light 'em Up: Ether Light
- One-Hit Kill: ELE EXTRACT may down one character instantly.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Was sealed away by Iris hundreds of years before the story's start.
- Standard Status Effects: The reason this boss is so dangerous: It's very proficient in spreading several status ailments to the entire party in a single turn. If the player doesn't heal them quickly the boss can quickly put even more on them making an already bad situation even worse.