Crispin McDougal Freeman (born February 9, 1972 in Chicago, Illinois) is one of the more popular voice actors in the business, and, well, what can we say, the guy's got talent for characters that are Hot-Blooded or smug or a complete jerk or heroic or snarky or badass or...just about anything.
Crispin seems to be fascinated by the use of myths in anime, and regularly hosts panels at cons on the subject. He's also a fan of Hayao Miyazaki, and finally got the chance to provide a voice for the dub of Howl's Moving Castle with the (albeit minor) role of Prince Justin. He's also quite fond of Opera and actually sang some at a convention.
He seems to be cast alongside Quinton Flynn frequently, in addition to either fighting side-by-side with or harboring a personal grudge against Johnny Yong Bosch. His sister is actress Cassidy Freeman. No relation to now-retired Funimation voice actor Scott Freeman.
He also has a podcast entitled Voice Acting Mastery, focusing on providing tips, tricks, and insider information on becoming a voice actor.
Due to union bylaws, Crispin stopped doing non-union voice work since 2005, but still continues to do union voice work in anime occasionally.
Notable roles by Crispin Freeman:
- Akio Ohtori (episode 13), Dios in Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Alan Gabriel in The Big O
- Alex Rowe in Last Exile
- Alucard in Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate
- Amon in Witch Hunter Robin
- Bjorn Johannsen in IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
- Brent Furlong in Sakura Wars: The Movie
- Campanella in Night on the Galactic Railroad
- Clerk Sugita in Lucky Star
- Dan Simmonds in Argento Soma
- Fuuma Monou in X/1999
- Gyomei Himejima in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
- Haji, Van Argeno, and Joel Goldschmidt VI in Blood+
- Hibiki Amawa in I My Me! Strawberry Eggs
- Hideki Motosuwa in Chobits
- Holland in Eureka Seven
- Itachi Uchiha and Ebisu in Naruto
- Jack Norman in Ingress
- Jeremiah "Orange" Gottwald in Code Geass
- Joker in the Read or Die OVA series, doing a surprisingly good British accent
- Prince Justin in Howl's Moving Castle
- Kagetsu in Shamanic Princess
- Karasu in Noein
- Kirei Kotomine in Fate/Zero(replacing Jamieson Price), Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] and Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel
- The Old Man of the Mountain in Fate/Grand Order - Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia
- Koichi Kimura in Digimon Frontier
- Kray Foresight in Promare
- Kyon in Haruhi Suzumiya and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
- Mario in Geneshaft
- Miyuki's father in Tokyo Godfathers
- Shannon in Scrapped Princess
- Shizuo Heiwajima in Durarara!!
- Soma Schicksal in God Eater
- Spark in Record of Lodoss War
- Straight Cougar in S Cryed
- Tabool in Now and Then, Here and There
- Tenmei Uragasumi in Vandread
- Thomas H. Norstein in Digimon Data Squad
- Togusa in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
- Touga in Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Tsume in Wolf's Rain
- Tylor in Irresponsible Captain Tylor
- Wonrei and Albert in Zatch Bell!
- Zelgadis Graywords in Slayers (after the first arc)
- Achilles in Rise of the Argonauts
- Albedo and Nigredo/Gaignun in Xenosaga
- Albel Nox in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
- Alex the Lion in some of the Madagascar video games
- Allen C. Hamilton in Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
- Balmung and Sakaki in .hack
- Bruce Irvin in Tekken (since Tekken 5)
- Delsus in Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
- Firefly in Batman: Arkham Origins and Batman: Arkham Knight
- Gannayev-of-Dreams in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
- Grimlock and Breakdown in Transformers: War for Cybertron
- Guan Yu in Dynasty Warriors 5
- Heat in Digital Devil Saga
- Hector in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
- Helios in God of War
- Helis in Horizon Zero Dawn
- Heughes in Baten Kaitos Origins
- Iron Man in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
- Lucas Montbarron in Dungeon Siege III
- The Male Wizard in Diablo III
- The Masked Lumen in Bayonetta 2
- Mathias Cronqvist in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
- Overlord Zetta in Makai Kingdom
- Raphael from Phantom Brave
- Regal Bryant in Tales of Symphonia
- Rick Henderson in Hitman: Blood Money
- Setzer and Will Turner in Kingdom Hearts II
- Siegfried Schtauffen in Soul Calibur III (replaced by Roger Craig Smith afterward)
- Spartan Jerome-092 in Halo Wars
- Sundowner in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- Superman in Justice League Heroes
- Vindicator Maraad in World of Warcraft
- Victor Oakville in Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
- Winston in Overwatch
- Yōko in the English localization of Onmyoji Arena
- Zeri in Valkyria Chronicles II
- Chairman Rockwell in The Outer Worlds
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man II in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!
- Electro in The Spectacular Spider-Man
- Fabian Menkle in Scooby-Doo! Haunted Holidays
- Doug Maheswaran in Steven Universe
- Ratar-O in ThunderCats Roar
- Maverick in Wolverine and the X-Men
- Roy Harper (Speedy/Red Arrow/Arsenal) and Guardian II in Young Justice
Tropes associated with Crispin Freeman:
- Ax-Crazy: Some of his most renowned roles. For example, Alucard
- Badass Baritone: His vocal range is naturally deep. note Even some of the teenage characters he voiced have a deeper register, such as Kyon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Some of his roles, particularly Kyon.
- Large Ham: When push comes to shove (i.e. the director tells him to), he can pull it off very well. Case in point: Orange.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Ax-Crazy psychopaths, brooding young men, badasses, Large Hams, Badass Normals... this man can do all of them and more. Just check out his demo reel.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: At the start of his career, he is often cast as young and handsome men in anime. After joining the union, he branched out into more variety of roles.
- Playing Against Type: Compared to his more well-known roles, Sundowner has a higher-pitched, raspier voice, and a deep southern accent. Same goes for Firefly, only without the accent. Also, his role in Justice League Heroes was freakin' Superman.
- Promoted Fanboy:
- Star-Making Role: As Zelgadis Graywords in Slayers and Alucard in Hellsing (the latter as a California-based voice actor).
- What Could Have Been: He was nearly Archernote , Kaminanote , Sephirothnote , and Vincent Volajunote .