open/close all folders
Voiced by: Wataru Hatano (JP), Spike Spencer (EN)
An inhabitant of Eden. An orphan, he lives with fellow orphan Viese in a workshop in Noir. While he has a lot of natural talent, he lacks the patience to become a proper alchemist and would rather swing a sword than read a book.
- Book Dumb: Felt learned Mana Synthesis pretty quickly, but was more interested in combat/sword-fighting to learn true synthesis and become a full-fledged alchemist such as Viese.
- Blue Is Heroic: Felt wears a blue coat and wields the Azure Azoth. By contrast, the villain Chaos wears a red coat and has the Crimsom Azoth.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Felt, at least when it comes to alchemy. One of the reasons he's Book Dumb. He also takes to blacksmithing really well, but only learns because Hagel wouldn't let him not learn it.
- The Chosen One: The master of the Azure Azoth and the only one that could resolve the crisis at hand.
- Cool Sword: The Azure Azoth. It's a Soul Jar that contains the essence of a former alchemist.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Felt is an orphan, and thus don't have to tell his parents that he is going to save the world by traveling to an unknown land by himself and taking a magical sword with him.
- Fingerless Gloves: Felt wears fingerless gloves, as seen in the character art.
- Fish out of Water: When he arrives in the lower world. As he points out he didn't know what was beyond it, so he couldn't really have grasped the situation and it nearly gets him killed from heat stroke when he lands in the desert.
- Hearing Voices: He was the only one that heard the voice of the Azure Azoth when the Mana Holy Grounds started vanishing.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: It made him the odd man out in Eden where there's nothing to fight, but that just made the people of Eden genuinely grateful when he stepped up to take the Azoth and go figure out what the hell just happened.
- I Owe You My Life: Because Noin saved him in the desert, he decides to join her for a good portion of the issues with Simsilt.
- Idiot Ball: After defeating the Empire, Felt decide to check the Gardo Continental Drive in Altena Church, before going back to Eden, without telling anyone. After a nun tells him that Chaos is in there, Felt decides to go by himself, despite knowing that the Crimson Azoth has dangerous petrifying powers. As expected, it don't ends well for him.
- Idiot Hair: Much like Klein, a single strand of his hair sticks up.
- Jumped at the Call: Felt had been trying to pull the Azoth from the stone it was trapped in nearly every day for several years already. He didn't just jump at the call, he'd been picking up the phone and yelling impatiently at the dialtone almost daily for years now.
- Kid with the Leash: Felt, keeping the Azoth in check (a fact for which the world should be infinitely grateful).
- Mystical White Hair: Has silver/light purple hair and is the chosen one to wield the Azure Azoth and save Eden. Also, from Belkhyde perspective, he is from another world.
- Spell Blade: His Mana Strike skill.
- Taken for Granite: Chaos petrifies him to get him out of the way, using the full power of the Azoth. Viese had to create a stronger item to free him.
Voiced by: Miwa Kouzuki (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)
An inhabitant of Eden. An orphan, she lives with fellow orphan Felt in a workshop in Noir. As of the storys beginning she has been recognized as an alchemist officially by the Eden Temple.
- The Ace: Viese ends up being the most skilled alchemist in Eden, as she successfully makes many pact with Manas and learns an forgotten ancient language and menages to synthesize very rare items to help Felt.
- Brainy Brunette: Brunette and brilliant to be exact, able to read the ancient writing lost to the modern age.
- Combat Medic: Viese becomes the party's main healer after joining, and she also can defeat enemies with her Mana Items.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Like Felt, she is an orphan and lives independently. Late, she also adopts Iris.
- I Will Wait for You: When Felt has to go the other world, she's left at home waiting for him. Mind you, when he doesn't come back she decides to go find him herself.
- Nice Girl: She's nice enough that she allowed Iris to move in with her upon learning she has no one else.
- Nice Hat: As per usual for the lead Alchemist in the Atelier series.
- Primal Fear: She fell from a high point in Weathervane Hill when she was a child, leaving her with a fear of heights.
- Sixth Ranger: Viese is the last addiction to the already established party, and joins very late in the game.
- Supporting Protagonist: Justified, as Viese is in Eden, and thus can only help Felt in his quest by making pact with Manas and creating items for him.
Voiced by: Megumi Teranishi (JP), Jessica Straus (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. She's a member of the Simsiltian Anti-Imperialist League and is the first person Felt meets upon arriving from Eden after she saves him from death by heat stroke.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: She fights with her fist during battle.
- Camp Cook: Also a Lethal Chef, though she does improve slightly over time...
- Fiery Redhead: Baring Gray, she is the most aggressive and upbeat party member.
- Guest-Star Party Member: Noin is the first playable character in the game (for only two battles). Afterwards, the scenario changes to Viese, in Eden. Subverted, as she joins Felt after he goes to Belkhyde.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Focus Blast and its variations.
- Ki Attack: Her skill attacks are primarily based around using her chi and it deals elemental damage.
- Healing Hands: Her Healing Breeze skill.
- Like Brother and Sister: She describes her relationship with Max in this way. To her, he's like an older brother.
- Ms. Fanservice: Noin goes around in what amounts to a sports bra and hot pants, plus boots and single heavy gauntlet.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Noin, already something of an Unkempt Beauty and Ms. Fanservice, gets a brief makeover. She lets her hair down, wears a shoulder-baring (among other things) Little Black Dress, and gets her makeup done. Everyone is gobsmacked. It doesn't do much to change her behavior after the initial embarrassment wears off, though.
- Stripperiffic: She plans to fight the Empire's army wearing nothing but a small bra and shorts that barely cover her legs.
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (JP), Bob Papenbrook (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. A powerful warrior known as the Dragonslayer. He's an old friend of the Simsilts and knows Max and Noin. He also trained with Galahad.
- Big Damn Heroes: He forced Chaos to retreat, after the Imperial Champion ambushed Felt and Fee in the forest.
- The Big Guy: Gray is a war veteran renowned for slaying dragons, and the physically strongest party member.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: His swords are retractable within his gauntlet shields.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Gray ends battles with a hearty laugh.
- Breath Weapon: His Fire Breath skill.
- Cursed with Awesome: Even though he wants to break the curse that made him half dragon, it has given him powers he would never have had as a human and since he is famous and his story is widely known, he is accepted everywhere so he doesn't even have the excuse of being an outcast after being turned into a monster. Near the end of the game after he kills the one who cursed him, he says its better he didn't change back as he would lose all the dragon powers he gained and they will need all the power they can get to fight Palaxius.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: His dragon breath skills.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Can use Holy Blade to damage dark enemies.
- Jumped at the Call: The moment Felt lays out the situation, he joins in.
- Mighty Glacier: Gray is the strongest-but-slowest party member.
- Playing with Fire: Many of his skills rely on fire.
- Secret Keeper: Only he and Hagel knew that Max was royalty when he first escaped from the empire at 14. Gray personally helped him get away.
- Walking the Earth: Before he met Felt's group.
- Was Once a Man: Grey was a human tuned into a dragon by the Dragon King Ardgevald.
Fee / Audrey Zeckzen Slaith
Voiced by: Natsumi Yanase (JP), ? (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. A member of the Altena Church sworn to destroy the Crimson Azoth.
- Doorstop Baby: She was abandoned on the steps of the Altena Church and then raised by Eizlen.
- Family of Choice: Fee choosing to consider the Church her true and family even after learning about her heritage. As she puts it:Fee: The Slaith blood inside of me defines what I am. And the crown on my head defines what I do. But only I can define who I am.
- Flash Step: Used during her strongest skills, such as Ein Zeckslaw.
- Fragile Speedster: Fee is the fastest party member, but cannot take many hits and has less HP than Viese (even at lower levels) and Poe.
- Mistaken Identity: Mistakes Felt's Azoth for Chaos' and attacks him for it.
- Sinister Scythe: Carries a pair of sickles.
- Revealing Skill: The royals are apparently born knowing how to do Ein Zecksclaw on reflex when under stress, which is later used as proof that she's Max's little sister Audrey, who was lost when the Empire conquered Slaith back when she was in diapers.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Several of Fee's skills involve throwing her dual sickles.
- You Are in Command Now: After her brother ends up petrified, she becomes the commander of the Simsilt.
- Younger Than They Look: Would you believe that Fee is actually 14?
Voiced by: Rie Kanda (JP), Mona Marshall (EN)
An inhabitant of Eden. He's a Fairy, a race that resembles the Wood Mana.
- Accidental Proposal: Accidentally proposes to Mitsue while crafting a letter for Viese. He ends up married to her by the end of the game.
- Affectionate Nickname: Poeywoey. He receives it from Mitsue.
- Berserk Button: Being treated like a child or being called small. He drop-kicked Felt for it in the Dark Springs.
- Butt-Monkey: If something bad or comedic happens to someone in the party, it's him.
- Casanova Wannabe: He pretty much flirts when he meets a woman. Mitsue is pretty much the only one who falls for it.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: For all the goofball he is, he packs a mean punch.
- Hand Cannon: Poe's absurd doomcannon is as big as he is. And then of course he's always hitting on Viese whenever possible...
- Large Ham: Particularly when speaking to women in his usual flowery manner.
- Love at First Sight: Fell for Viese the moment he spotted her.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Pulls out a shield to defend himself in battle.
- Red Baron: Refers to himself as "Flashbang Poe, the Gun Mana".
- Token Non-Human: Downplayed. Poe is a fairy in a group of humans, but Grey was turned into a dragon by a curse.
The Azure Azoth / ElusmusFelt's talking sword, who entrusts him with the mission of salving Eden.
- A Pupil of Mine, Until He Turned to Evil: Inverted. Elusmus mentor, Palaxius, is the one who turned evil.
- Character Title: The titular Azoth of Destiny. Subverted in the Japanese version, titled Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2.
- Good Counterpart: To the Crimson Azoth.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Twice. Even after his core is repaired, Elusmus sacrifices himself again to destroy Palaxius.
Iris / Lilith
Voiced by: Miki Takahashi (JP), ? (EN)
A girl encountered in Eden by Viese.
- All Your Powers Combined: Lilith was said to have the power of all Mana.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: She enjoys Fairy Tea, a drink that isn't meant for humans and tastes horrible according to Viese. It's a hint to her true identity.
- Blowing a Raspberry: Done only to Poe, who antagonizes her.
- Character Title: She is the Iris from the tittle.
- Damsel in Distress:She is captured by Palaxius and have to be rescued.
- First Of Its Kind: As the reincarnation of Lilith, she is the first Mana in existence.
- Magical Guide: She pops up whenever Viese needs her help to find something.
- Mysterious Waif: She pops up out of nowhere and has a mysterious air about her.
- Physical God: She is the incarnation of Lilith, the Creation Mana.
Voiced by: Kunihiro Kawamoto (JP), ? (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. Leads the Simsilt Anti-Imperialist League.
- Accidental Misnaming: He rarely gets Felt's name right.
- Badass in Distress:
- He gets caught in a hostage exchange and sent to the Lighthouse early in the game, requiring you break him out.
- He later gets petrified by Chaos until Viese frees him.
- Curb-Stomp Cushion: Max managed to do enough damage to Chaos that he had to spend time laying low to recover from his injuries.
- Overly Long Name: His full name is Maximillian Zeckzen Slaith XVI.
- Rebel Leader: Of the Simsilt.
- Rightful King Returns: His goal is to take back his homeland.
- Royalty Super Power: Ein Zecksclaw.
- Taken for Granite: Chaos petrifies him.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Tsuchida (JP), ? (EN)An inhabitant of Eden. He is the head of the Eden Temple, which effectively makes him its leader.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He's basically the leader of Eden.
- Shipper on Deck: For Felt and Viese.
Voiced by: ? (JP), Kirk Thornton (EN)An inhabitant of Belkhyde. A blacksmith obsessed with the Azoth.
- The Blacksmith: The most frequent one.
- Number Two: He becomes the second-in-command of the Simsilt after being recruited.
- Recurring Character: Hagel appears in other games from the series.
- Secret Keeper: Only he and Gray knew that Max was royalty when he first escaped from the empire at 14.
Voiced by: Shiho Kujima (JP), Sandy Fox (EN)An inhabitant of Belkhyde. A traveling merchant of the Zwital Merchant's Association.
- Cat Girl: One of the few seen in the game. Mitsue is from Zwital, a catgirl/boy village.
- Happily Married: Downplayed. She marries Poe, and is more happy about it than him.
- I Will Wait for You: Says this to Poe, after their weeding, both times he leaves to "help" Felt and save the world.
Voiced by: Haruhi Terada (JP), ? (EN)An inhabitant of Belkhyde. One of the three Imperial Championst, and also somehow close friends with Noin.
- Cloudcuckoolander: As Noin puts it, she's different, to say the least.
- Friendly Enemy: To Noin. It gets exploited by the group a few times.
- The Pardon: Provides one for Noin after learning she has an arrest out for her. That's because they're childhood friends.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: She is identical to Pamela, a recurring character in the series.
- Token Good Teammate: The nicest of the three Imperial Champions. Downplayed, as Galahad is just following his late wife will, and Chaos just wants to revive his sister.
- The Unfought: Despite being one of the Imperial Champions, she never opposes the party and even gives them a tour in Riese Palace. One may wonder if Tolena can even fight, or just got her tittle because of her family lineage.
Voiced by: Shiho Kujima (JP), ? (EN)
Caretaker of the Gardo Continental Drive.
- Artificial Human: She's an artificial creation made to watch over the device separating Eden from the lower world.
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: Before shutting down, Yuveria opens the Belkhyde Gate and sends a message to Viese.
- Projected Man: How she frequently appears to Felt.
- We Can Rebuild Him: After her "death", Yuveria's body is repaired using blueprints founds in Sessier Forest's workshop.
YachAn inhabitant of Eden. Runs the general store in Noir. He comes from a long line of merchants.
- Green Thumb: He has a bit of one and will request Wonder Grow in order to grow them in the abandoned parts of Eden.
- Improbable Age: He runs the local shop despite not even hitting puberty yet. Though, as he puts it, he has to in order to make a living since his parents have died.
- No Hero Discount: Even after Felt removes the curse, he still charges him for the items. Viese even lampshades this.
- Precocious Crush: On Iris. Considering she's the oldest Mana alive, she fits here.
- Recurring Character: Implied. There are other characters named Yach in the series, but their appearance changes from one installment to another, unlike Hagel and Pamela.
MeilaA resident of Eden. Loves flowers.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Tsuchida (JP), Liam O'Brien (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. One of the three Imperial Champions, known as the Lightning Blade.
- Demonic Possession: Ends up possessed and having his body stolen by Palaxius.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The first battle against him in unwinnable.
- Human Shield: Uses Yuveria as one to stop Felt from defeating him in the Gardo.
- Master Swordsman: Noin states that he's this and that no one who faced him has ever survived.
- Red Baron: He is known as "Chaos the Lightning Blade".
- The Social Darwinist: A bit of one. When he encounters Felt lying unconscious from dehydration in the desert, he's Left for Dead because he was weak and shared the belief that those who were weak would share the same fate.
- Tragic Villain: At least near the end, when you find out about his dead little sister.
- Unwitting Pawn: To the Crimson Azoth, that promised to resurrect his dead sister.
The Crimson Azoth / Palaxius
Voiced by: ? (JP), Richard Epcar (EN)Chaos Azoth, who serves as a Evil Counterpart to Felt's.
- A God Am I: His end goal. Palaxius wants Lilith's power over creation and destruction.
- Big Bad: He's the final villain of the game.
- Evil Counterpart: To the Azure Azoth.
- Evil Sorcerer: Palaxius was a famed Alchemist of the past said to have wrought atrocities in the name of Alchemy. He also wanted Lilith's power for himself to archive godhood.
- Evil Weapon: As the Crimson Azoth.
- Fog of Doom: Creates a fog that will petrify anything caught in it.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Palaxius sealed his soul inside of the Crimson Azoth; and the Azoth itself was sealed inside Alha Village.
- Taken for Granite: Can fossilize people with his special ability, Exanosis.
- Villain Override: Just as Felt and co. are about to fight Chaos for the last time, Palaxius takes over his body. He also merges with his Azoth for the final battle.
- Walking Spoiler: The tropes reveal much about his identity and goals.
- Weapon of Mass Destruction: The Crimson Azoth's destructive power created Lake Midgard.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: According to Elusmus, Palaxius was once a good man who adopted him and taught him alchemy. However, power corrupted him and he decided to take Lilith's power for himself.
Voiced by: Hidenari Ugaki (JP), Jamieson Price (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. One of the three Imperial Champions.
- Archnemesis Dad: To Noin.
- The Atoner: Goes off to fight the Dragon King Ardgevald to atone for the suffering he caused the people. While it nearly gets him killed, it ultimately allows the group to finish the dragon off once and for all.
- The Dog Bites Back: When the Simsilt army storm Riese Palace, Galahad refuses to protect Theodore because he was fired.
- Last Request: He only remained a soldier for the last 12 years to honor his wife's last wish.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Noin's father, though she already knew and just acts annoyed when it comes up.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Downplayed. He is similar to Beggur from Eternal Mana, as both are tough looking guys working for the villains (despite not actually being evil themselves) and are widowers related to one of the female party members. However, Beggur was a Boisterous Bruiser, while Galahad is much more calm and serious man.
- Worthy Opponent: Comes to consider Felt one.
- You Will Not Evade Me: He prevents the Dragon King Ardgevald from running away a second time.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Richard Epcar (EN)
An inhabitant of Belkhyde. The Imperial Consul, he rules in the name of the Emperor. His tyrannical rule has caused a lot of problems.
- Ambiguous Situation: Theodore claims to acting on the Emperor's will, but the Emperor himself never appears in the game. Is Theodore telling the whole truth or is he just using the Emepror's name to run things his way?
- Big Bad Wannabe: Despite his status, he is a dirty coward who hides behind his army and is defeated by Noin in one kick.
- Dirty Coward: Right up to the very end.
- Disc-One Final Boss: A unfought example. Theodore is the primary antagonist during a good portion of the game, but his army is defeated and he is imprisoned in the Lighthouse.
- Evil Chancellor: Of the mustache-twirling variety.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: He smokes a cigar and is the most evil member from the Empire.
- Hate Sink: There nothing positive about Theodore, and even Palaxius the real Big Bad was once good person, unlike him.
- Human Shield: He takes a child hostage when cornered in the bar.
- Narcissist: His greatest flaw, according to Chaos. Theodore even had many statues of him built around the city.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Theodore is a dirty coward and cannot fight by himself, so he just give orders to his subordinates.
- Smug Snake: He's let his position get to his head.
- Take Over the World: Theodore's dream, according to his character profile.
ArdgevaldThe Dragon King who placed a curse on Gray.
- Arch-Nemesis: Gray's, for placing a curse on him.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: He is just a mindless creature who threatens human villages. Justified, as he is a force of nature.
- Lone Wolf Boss: He is unrelated to the other antagonists.
- Monster Lord: He is known as the king of dragons.
- Playing with Fire: Attacks with a powerful fire breath.
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left: Ardgevald always try to runs away after being bested in combat. Later subverted, as Galahad prevents him from escaping.