Tropers: Sanfranman 91
Hi there. I've been around in TV Tropes for quite a while now, but I did not have a chance to start a page about myself until February 1st, 2014. I currently live in London, UK. Not very usual for an American to move to the land of the redcoats, but still... I enjoy many things in life. In addition to being a undergraduate student, I enjoy cooking and writing. I also take time off by hiking, skiing, singing, playing soccer (football as I'm going to have to call it very soon), and watching the beautiful game (Come On You Spurs!) and IPL cricket (Royal Challengers Bangalore in particular). I also enjoy watching anime and science fiction movies. Also, I play a lot of games on Mac, PC, Xbox 360 and, as of September 2014, Xbox One. Song of the month: Nightcall by Kavinsky. Tropes associated with me:
- Berserk Button: Homophobia, Racism and Misogyny are the big three. Also, try not to interrupt me whenever I'm playing a UFO landing mission on Xcom Enemy Unknown.
- Big Eater: I'm shocked I'm not overweight considering how much I enjoy eating food...
- Caustic Critic: Read my Gundam AGE review if you have any doubts.
- Growing the Beard: Spending 3.5 years as a member has certainly helped me learn the ropes of contributing to this wiki.
- Large Ham: I love getting ULTRA HAMMY in certain entries that I write with MY EPIC MACBOOK PRO RETINA.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: I normally play antagonists in dramas and musicals, but I really don't like to be associated with the traits the characters have.
- Never Bareheaded: Except for sleeping and showers, I wear my Bose headphones everywhere I go. I listen to a lot of music.
- Never Live It Down: Terrible (in my opinion) as Valvrave the Liberator is, I don't think tropers on its forum are going to let me live down my post based on an... overzealous reaction to Haruto's proposal.
- Old Shame: I'm not exactly proud of some of the stuff I wrote back in 2010 and 2011...
- One of Us: Yep. I'm a student/actor/singer who is also an otaku that loves to watch anime and play games such as Xcom Enemy Unknown, Left 4 Dead, and the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3.
- Rated M for Manly: Watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann might have something to do with it...
- Serious Business: My love for Tottenham Hotspur can be seen as this. You Have Been Warned Arsenal, Manchester United, and West Ham fans.
- Shipper on Deck: I sometimes ship XCOM soldiers with one another. I am also a proud member of fleets including (but not limited to) Tali x Shepard, Adam x Faridah, and most recently Aila x Reiji.
- So Bad, It's Horrible: This is my reaction to Cross Ange, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Oni Ai, Pupa, Valvrave the Liberator, My Immortal, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Kamen Rider Wizard, NBC's coverage of the Olympic Games, Work It, The Kooks, Soulja Boy, Mindjack, Ride to Hell: Retribution, Delgo, and Doogal.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Contrary to what my avatar shows, it's not meat buns (though those are tasty too). Rather, I am almost always found snacking on a chocolate chip cookie.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Guilty as charged. Normally once I've seen something worthy of going on a page I waste no time typing it down, only to find bugs such as typos that I have to edit out.
Stuff I like:
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- AKIRA: The movie is truly a bonafide classic.
- Deadman Wonderland: Amazing manga from beginning to the end.
- Eureka Seven: Don't watch the sequel though...
- From the New World: A fantastic series. You shouldn't miss it.
- Gantz: The last arc sucked, but everything else was just awesome (if over-the-top with wanton nudity and graphic violence).
- Gundam: I love Gundam... so I'll give you some recommendations:
- Gundam Build Fighters: A surprisingly hilarious take on a classic franchise. Watch it if you can.
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam: Pure, unadulterated Crazy Awesome. Can't miss.
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The one and only original series. The animation hasn't held up well, but the story is well done (if rushed).
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00: The first season only. Don't waste your time with the second season or the movie.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: (sniff)
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team: One of my all-time favorites. It's a classic OVA that really should come back to American television sooner rather than later.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: While Destiny might have had its problems, the original SEED is pretty damn good. If you don't mind Fukuda's reliance on Stock Footage now and again, you'll like its story, soundtrack, and variety of characters.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: Truly spectacular. A must-watch OVA.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Like many Americans, this was my Gateway Series to all things Gundam. Now, though, it's just okay, but if you want an introductory series then you could do much worse.
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A Magnum Opus from "Kill 'em All" Tomino. Nevermind the dated animation and just watch it.
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: It takes a while to get going, but it's a nice addition to Zeta that has well-developed characters and interesting plot developments.
- Turn A Gundam: A decent series beefed up by a vivid art-style and one of the most beautiful soundtracks you will ever hear in your life. Want sensory bliss? Watch Turn A.
- Hataraku Maou-sama!: Another hilarious show that I can't get enough of.
- Anything from Hayao Miyazaki. Princess Mononoke in particular was what got me into anime in the first place. Thanks Hayao.
- Outlaw Star: This was the show that got me hooked on Toonami. Not only that, I just love its balance of comedy, sci-fi action, and mystery. Having stellar characters such as Gene Starwind and (my personal favorite) Aisha Clan Clan doesn't hurt either.
- Psycho-Pass: Words can't describe the awesome settings and character development of this show.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Frightening deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre, but excellent stuff nonetheless.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: One of the greatest shows you'll ever see. Don't you dare miss it.
- Wolf's Rain: If there's one series [adult swim] absolutely has to re-air, it's this one.
Live Action TV
- 30 Rock
- Arrested Development
- The Bridge US
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Burn Notice
- Doctor Who
- Downton Abbey
- The Following
- Game of Thrones
- Hannibal: Great show, but it can get really disturbing at times. Then again, it's Hannibal Lecter we're talking about here...
- Heroes: Season 1 only.
- Homeland: Seasons 1-2. It goes downhill afterward.
- House of Cards (US)
- How I Met Your Mother: Don't watch the last four minutes of the series finale though. It is an epic, no, a Legendary Fail.
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Kamen Rider: The original, V3, Amazon, Black, Kuuga thru Blade, Dragon Knight, W thru Fourze, Gaim
- Life on Mars (2006)
- Life on Mars (2008)
- The Office
- White Collar
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Most of the Assassin's Creed games. There's a reason why my former tagline was also "Nothing is true, everything is permitted".
- Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock 2 never existed.
- Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
- Child of Light
- Dark Souls
- Dead Space 1 and 2. Dead Space 3 not so much...
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Grand Theft Auto V
- All of the Halo games. I especially love Halo: Reach and Halo 4.
- The Hitman series, especially Contracts and Blood Money.
- Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2
- Mark Of The Ninja, which so happens to be the first game I ever got all of the achievements for (on Steam).
- The Mass Effect trilogy.
- The Metal Gear franchise is really good. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker in particular are the best of the bunch.
- Rayman Origins. Haven't gotten around to playing Legends yet though.
- Sleeping Dogs
- All of the Splinter Cell games. Absolutely play Chaos Theory and Blacklist if you haven't already.
- The original Thief trilogy.
- The Walking Dead
- Xcom Enemy Unknown
CM Watch List (updated as of 7/27/14)
Currently on Watch
Judgement on 2014/ 2015 Championship's Premier League Hopefuls
With only 2 points separating 1st from 4th, the race for Premier League promotion is the closest that I’ve ever seen in following soccer. The race for the final two playoff spots is pretty tight as well, with Brentford and Wolves needing only 2 points to nab 5th and 6th. Here are my verdicts on who are automatically going up, who will be going to the playoffs, and who will miss out and why.
- Bournemouth (Current Position: 1st)
- Eddie Howe has done a phenomenal job in providing champagne soccer despite having a low budget and playing in a stadium that can only fit 12,000 fans. When I heard about Bournemouth’s terrific run of form, I thought that they were going to poop out by April and end up in 9th or 10th place. When I saw the Cherries massacre Fulham at Craven Cottage after getting my master’s essay done, however, it became crystal clear that the Cherries were serious in their push for promotion thanks to their gung-ho, no-holds-barred attacking play-style. My only reservation to them hanging on to 1st, however, is that the players lack experience in clutch situations such as the final three games. On paper, their final three games should be comfortable as they face mid-table teams with nothing to play for. However, my Spider Sense is telling me that some of their players are going to buckle under pressure and there are a lot of similarities to Bournemouth and last year’s Liverpool which ended up losing their title at Selhurst Park. With regret, I believe that they are not going to get the final nine points needed to reach the top flight for the first time in their club’s history.
- Verdict: Playoffs, but only just missing out on automatic promotion.
- Norwich City (Current Position: 2nd)
- The Canaries shocked lots of Premier League followers when they were relegated at the Emirates last year. While their campaign got off to an inconsistent start, the appointment of Alexander Neil has done the trick in giving Norwich a second wind. Partially due to Neil’s attacking tactics, players such as Nathan Redmond and Bradley Johnson have enjoyed a spike in form at a critical time and they have been utterly unstoppable in the last two months. Moreover, unlike Fulham and Cardiff City, Norwich only lost 6 senior players and have a very similar starting 11 to that of their Premier League days. With a great new head coach, a boost in form, and consistency amongst the squad, I don’t believe that the Canaries are not going to make their first season back in the Championship their last in a very long time.
- Verdict: Automatic Promotion
- Watford (Current Position: 3rd)
- Watford has been a promotion contender for a while now and their head coach has done well to bring back excitement to Elton John’s club. With an international mix of players experience in playing in the top flight such as ex-Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes and home-grown players eager to support their club, they have excited fans with an prowess for scoring goals and maintaining possession to starve their opponents. Unfortunately for Elton John, Watford is the last team I think of when it comes to consistency during times of high pressure. While they face two mid-table clubs and one relegation-threatened club, I could easily see the Hornets’s opponents maintaining solid defenses to prevent their forwards from creating opportunities. Watford buckled under pressure before and I got a bad feeling that they will buckle under pressure again.
- Verdict: Playoffs
- Middlesbrough (Current Position: 4th)
- Say what you will about his tactical similarities to Jose Mourinho, but Aitor Karanka has transformed Boro into a force to be reckoned with not just in the Championship, but in England in general. I, for one, am particularly impressed with the form of players such as Patrick Bamford and I think that lots of players in their squad are good enough to solidify Boro in the Premier League. That said, they still have to play against Norwich and Fulham, the former also fighting for automatic promotion and the latter threatening to crank a Wolves (back to back relegations from top flight to L1). I have no doubt that Boro will be in the top flight one way or another, but their next two games will make or break their season. For me, I think they have just about enough in them to break through.
- Verdict: Automatic Promotion
- Derby County (Current Position: 5th)
- Life has been tough for Steve McClaren without their talisman Chris Martin and my runaway favorite to be automatically promoted from the Championship is now saddled with likelihood of facing another arduous postseason. Their only tough fixture left is their road match at Millwall, a club notorious for their ability to get out of relegation trouble at the last minute and its fans’ hooliganism and racism. While I am not sure how they’ll win at the Den, their other two matches should be comfortable enough for them to get the results they want. A disappointing end of the season for the Rams, but they should be grateful that their squad (even without Chris Martin) is good enough to not be in same situation as Blackpool, Wigan, Rotherham, Fulham, or Brighton.
- Verdict: Playoffs
- Ipswich Town (Current Position: 6th)
- Mick McCarthey’s side is back to winning ways after an indifferent run of form in February and March. With players like Tyrone Mings providing pace on the wings and Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick providing Ipswich goals, the Tractor Boys have been making a last minute push for a playoff spot. However, Ipswich has been very inconsistent in their matches against mid-table opposition. They have the tools and the fixtures needed for them to advance to the playoffs, but I’m not sure how they will seriously threaten other teams in the playoff mix this year if they do advance. Regardless, they will have to win or draw against Wolves to solidify themselves in the spots which I think they’ll do… barely.
- Verdict: Playoffs
- Brentford (Current Position: 7th)
- In their first season in the Championship, the Bees have shown themselves to be a superb side. I can’t understand why the owners want to let their manager Mark Warburton go after this season, because the club has been very exciting to watch with their versatility and their excellent offense. The final three fixtures should bring them 9 points but I think the damage has been done to their playoff hopes with their last two draws against Nottingham Forest and Derby. They are 3 points behind Ipswich at the moment and if Ipswich gets points from their game against Wolverhampton, then it could be too late for the Bees to make it to the playoffs. A Bittersweet Ending to their season perhaps, but Brentford fans should keep their heads up as their club has done far better than what most people expected them to do in the Championship.
- Verdict: Misses out, but only just.
- Wolverhampton Wanderers (Current Position: 8th)
- Wolves have enjoyed solid performances in the last few months, but they couldn’t have chosen a worse time to enter in a rut. With back-to-back losses to Birmingham City and Boro, Kenny Jackett’s side are now 3 points behind Ipswich in the playoff spots. Speaking of which, all three of Wolves’ remaining matches will be against either promotion hopefuls or teams in the relegation zone. Lose any of the three and it’ll be over for Wolverhampton’s chances to go to the playoffs. Given that they have to face Ipswich this Saturday and Millwall on the final day, I can’t see Wolves successfully playing catch-up now.
- Verdict: Misses out.
From "A Beautiful Thread for the Beautiful Game"
- Crystal Palace 2 - Spurs 1, January 10, 2015
(Palace 1 - Spurs 1) "Fuck me... a penalty for Palace after Joe Ledley is tripped. Gayle makes short work of Lloris on the spot and it's now 1-1."(Palace 2 - Spurs 1) Oh HELL no...(Full Time; standby for Rage Mode) SON OF A BITCH. Ledley's penalty will be one of the more debated points of the game but the bottom-line is after our awesome victory against Chelsea, we gave away 3 points against my ex's team. And why?! Because of Walker, Stambouli and Fazio. I'll give the former the benefit of the doubt, but he still looked like he was out of his depth against Zaha all night long. As for the other two... oh boy, angry doesn't even begin to describe my reactions to their effort and competence (or lack there of). It's one thing to get bargains from the continent but it's another if our owner wants a player (like Scheniderlin) and ends up settling with a piss-poor copycat (Stambouli). I hope we can pick ourselves to beat Burnley in the replay, but given the way our players seemed to have rested on their laurels after a Kane goal, I highly doubt it. At least Palace has actual fans... so many stadiums in the Premier League are almost like libraries these days (Arsenal and Tottenham are guilty of this).And I swear to FUCKING God... if I never see Fazio wearing a Spurs shirt ever again, it will be way too soon.(takes a deep breath)
- Spurs 1 - Leicester 2, January 24, 2015
"I wouldn't say today's game was disappointing at all. I, for one, am frankly embarrassed to be a Spurs fan today for losing so pathetically to the Foxes. I actually thought that we would have gotten our act together after the last few matches, and we were in the lead with Townsend's first-half goal. But our defense and forwards became so damn lazy that I just want to come to each of their houses and slap them in their faces.In order to see who was remotely tolerable, let's start by highlighting the ones who weren't. Fazio (yes, Poch had the balls to start that clown again) was awful, Adebayor was awful, Soldado was awful, Lamela was lame, Paulinho was awful, Dembele was awful, Chiriches was awful, Vorm was awful, Townsend was... not awful but rested on his laurels after scoring that goal. The only one who was anywhere close to decent was Christian Eriksen and I feel really sorry for him for having to work with a pair of pathetically lazy and overpaid strikers.And I thought our loss to Crystal Palace was humiliating. Foxes are surely going straight back down to the Championship and to crash out of the FA Cup to that team is an absolute disgrace. Each and every player and coach in our team should be ashamed of themselves for such an awful game. Sometimes, I wonder why I haven't donated my Spurs shirt... (deep breath, chugs a bottle of lager)"
- Sheffield United 2 - Spurs 2, January 28, 2015
(Sheffield 2 - Spurs 1) NO!!! NOOOOO!!! NOT THIS WAY! NOT THIS WAY! You're seriously telling me that after leading from a beautiful Eriksen freekick and 2-0 aggregate advantage, we're now trailing 2-1 in the match and 2-2 on aggregate?! Even if we progress via away goals after Extra Time, we just gave away a comfortable advantage YET AGAIN. Wake up, Spurs... or I'm out.(Sheffield 2 - Spurs 2) And apparently we did, thanks to Eriksen. But seriously, I'm through with Spurs' lack of effort in matches, league or cup. I can tolerate losses and upsets. I can tolerate not qualifying for the Champions League. Hell, I can tolerate relegation to the Championship. But you know what I can't stand? Players and coaches who don't care about the team. Don't blame this shit on Levy, oh no, he's been doing the best he could with an aging White Hart Lane and the cut-throat deals he can place. Rather, it's time for his players to step up so they won't let us down, again and again. Say what you will about Arsene Wenger and the Gunners winning only 2 trophies in the last 10 years, but at least all of them seem to give a fuck about their futility.And thus we progress... I don't think an upset against Chelsea's in the cards for us though. We'd be lucky to lose 2-1 in the dying minutes after leading 1-0 in Wembley honestly if we're going to blow leads to the likes of Sheffield and Leicester.BBC Five Live said where would we be without Eriksen. I don't know, but frankly he and Kane should just leave Spurs if that's the best everyone else in our team can do. Seriously Christian and Harry, you two are way too damn good for us...
Beef with Aniplex USA
- Response to Aniplex screwing over release of official subs for Kill la Kill
From overblown prices to triggering significant delays for subtitles on LEGAL sites like Crunchyroll, Aniplex USA is bar none the worst anime licensing company out there. I hope everyone on this forum now knows what I mean when I say they are the EA of anime, because what they are doing to the release of the English subs of this series and the prices of their physical releases of other shows is borderline criminal.And it's not like this is anything new, with the fiascoes that were their handling of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero and the initial batch of Sword Art Online. When you can purchase 13 episodes of Attack on Titan for $100 or the entire first season of Psycho-Pass with an almost identical amount of extras found in Aniplex series for only $140, I can't say I'm surprised to hear many turning to fansubs and piracy when it comes to this and other Aniplex shows (plus the likes of Chunnibyou S2). It's as if they want fans to turn to piracy, especially if the disastrous handling of the release schedule of Kill la Kill as a result of goofing up 1 episode (which is 100% Aniplex's fault by the way) is anything to go by. This, by the way, is coming from someone who seeks legal subs whenever possible (preferably via Hulu, Daisuki, or Funimation).
- "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door." - Harvey Milk