Tropers: Sanfranman 91
Hi there. I've been around in TV Tropes for quite a while now, but I did not have a chance to start a page about myself until February 1st, 2014. I currently live in London, UK. Not very usual for an American to move to the land of the redcoats, but still... I enjoy many things in life. In addition to being a graduate student, I enjoy cooking and writing. I also take time off by hiking, skiing, singing, playing soccer and watching the beautiful game (Come On You Spurs!) and IPL cricket (Royal Challengers Bangalore in particular). I also enjoy watching anime and science fiction movies. Also, I play a lot of games on Mac, PC, Xbox 360 and, as of September 2014, Xbox One. Song of the month: Piano Concerto No. 1 by Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Tropes associated with me:
- Berserk Button: Homophobia, Racism and Misogyny are the big three. Also, try not to interrupt me whenever I'm playing a UFO landing mission on Xcom Enemy Unknown.
- Big Eater: I'm shocked I'm not overweight considering how much I enjoy eating food...
- Caustic Critic: Read my Gundam AGE review if you have any doubts.
- Crowd Song: Here's a few regarding FIFA's corruption problem:
- "Get out of FIFA! Get out of FIFA! YOU CORRUPT BASTARD! GET OUT OF FIFA!!!"
- "And now you're gonna believe us, and now your gonna believe us. And now you're gonna believe uuuuuus! THAT FOOTBALL IS CORRUPT! That football is corrupt! (clap x2) That football is corrupt! (clap x2)"
- (In the tune of the Liverpool chant) "Blatter out! Blatter out!"
- (In the tune of Bradford City's Everywhere We Go, if you're boycotting FIFA) "Not a penny moooore! Not a penny moooore! FIFA is corrupt! FIFA is corrupt! Not a penny moooore!"
- (In the tune of Tom Hark) "We love football and we hate Blatter! We love football and we hate Blatter!"
- Growing the Beard: Spending 3.5 years as a member has certainly helped me learn the ropes of contributing to this wiki.
- Large Ham: I love getting ULTRA HAMMY in certain entries that I write with MY EPIC MACBOOK PRO RETINA.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: I normally play antagonists in dramas and musicals, but I really don't like to be associated with the traits the characters have.
- Never Bareheaded: Except for sleeping and showers, I wear my Bose headphones everywhere I go. I listen to a lot of music.
- Never Live It Down: Terrible (in my opinion) as Valvrave the Liberator is, I don't think tropers on its forum are going to let me live down my post based on an... overzealous reaction to Haruto's proposal.
- Old Shame: I'm not exactly proud of some of the stuff I wrote back in 2010 and 2011...
- One of Us: Yep. I'm a student/actor/singer who is also an otaku that loves to watch anime and play games such as Xcom Enemy Unknown, Left 4 Dead, and the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3.
- Rated M for Manly: Watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann might have something to do with it...
- Serious Business: My love for Tottenham Hotspur can be seen as this. You Have Been Warned Arsenal, Manchester United, and West Ham fans.
- Shipper on Deck: I sometimes ship XCOM soldiers with one another. I am also a proud member of fleets including (but not limited to) Tali x Shepard, Adam x Faridah, and most recently Aila x Reiji.
- So Bad, It's Horrible: This is my reaction to Cross Ange, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Oni Ai, Pupa, Valvrave the Liberator, My Immortal, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Kamen Rider Wizard, NBC's coverage of the Olympic Games, Work It, The Kooks, Soulja Boy, Mindjack, Ride to Hell: Retribution, Delgo, and Doogal.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Contrary to what my avatar shows, it's not meat buns (though those are tasty too). Rather, I am almost always found snacking on a chocolate chip cookie.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Guilty as charged. Normally once I've seen something worthy of going on a page I waste no time typing it down, only to find bugs such as typos that I have to edit out.
Stuff I like:
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- AKIRA: The movie is truly a bonafide classic.
- Deadman Wonderland: Amazing manga from beginning to the end.
- Eureka Seven: Don't watch the sequel though...
- From the New World: A fantastic series. You shouldn't miss it.
- Gantz: The last arc sucked, but everything else was just awesome (if over-the-top with wanton nudity and graphic violence).
- Gundam: I love Gundam... so I'll give you some recommendations:
- Gundam Build Fighters: A surprisingly hilarious take on a classic franchise. Watch it if you can.
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam: Pure, unadulterated Crazy Awesome. Can't miss.
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The one and only original series. The animation hasn't held up well, but the story is well done (if rushed).
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00: The first season only. Don't waste your time with the second season or the movie.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: (sniff)
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team: One of my all-time favorites. It's a classic OVA that really should come back to American television sooner rather than later.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: While Destiny might have had its problems, the original SEED is pretty damn good. If you don't mind Fukuda's reliance on Stock Footage now and again, you'll like its story, soundtrack, and variety of characters.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: Truly spectacular. A must-watch OVA.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Like many Americans, this was my Gateway Series to all things Gundam. Now, though, it's just okay, but if you want an introductory series then you could do much worse.
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A Magnum Opus from "Kill 'em All" Tomino. Nevermind the dated animation and just watch it.
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: It takes a while to get going, but it's a nice addition to Zeta that has well-developed characters and interesting plot developments.
- Turn A Gundam: A decent series beefed up by a vivid art-style and one of the most beautiful soundtracks you will ever hear in your life. Want sensory bliss? Watch Turn A.
- Hataraku Maou-sama!: Another hilarious show that I can't get enough of.
- Anything from Hayao Miyazaki. Princess Mononoke in particular was what got me into anime in the first place. Thanks Hayao.
- Outlaw Star: This was the show that got me hooked on Toonami. Not only that, I just love its balance of comedy, sci-fi action, and mystery. Having stellar characters such as Gene Starwind and (my personal favorite) Aisha Clan Clan doesn't hurt either.
- Psycho-Pass: Words can't describe the awesome settings and character development of this show.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Frightening deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre, but excellent stuff nonetheless.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: One of the greatest shows you'll ever see. Don't you dare miss it.
- Wolf's Rain: If there's one series [adult swim] absolutely has to re-air, it's this one.
Live Action TV
- 30 Rock
- Arrested Development
- The Bridge US
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Burn Notice
- Doctor Who
- Downton Abbey
- The Following
- Game of Thrones
- Hannibal: Great show, but it can get really disturbing at times. Then again, it's Hannibal Lecter we're talking about here...
- Heroes: Season 1 only.
- Homeland: Seasons 1-2. It goes downhill afterward.
- House of Cards (US)
- How I Met Your Mother: Don't watch the last four minutes of the series finale though. It is an epic, no, a Legendary Fail.
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Kamen Rider: The original, V3, Amazon, Black, Kuuga thru Blade, Dragon Knight, W thru Fourze, Gaim
- Life on Mars (2006)
- Life on Mars (2008)
- The Office
- White Collar
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Most of the Assassin's Creed games. There's a reason why my former tagline was also "Nothing is true, everything is permitted".
- Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock 2 never existed.
- Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
- Child of Light
- Dark Souls
- Dead Space 1 and 2. Dead Space 3 not so much...
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Grand Theft Auto V
- All of the Halo games. I especially love Halo: Reach and Halo 4.
- The Hitman series, especially Contracts and Blood Money.
- Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2
- Mark Of The Ninja, which so happens to be the first game I ever got all of the achievements for (on Steam).
- The Mass Effect trilogy.
- The Metal Gear franchise is really good. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker in particular are the best of the bunch.
- Rayman Origins. Haven't gotten around to playing Legends yet though.
- Sleeping Dogs
- All of the Splinter Cell games. Absolutely play Chaos Theory and Blacklist if you haven't already.
- The original Thief trilogy.
- The Walking Dead
- Xcom Enemy Unknown
CM Watch List (updated as of 7/27/14)
Currently on Watch
From "A Beautiful Thread for the Beautiful Game"
- Crystal Palace 2 - Spurs 1, January 10, 2015
(Palace 1 - Spurs 1) "Fuck me... a penalty for Palace after Joe Ledley is tripped. Gayle makes short work of Lloris on the spot and it's now 1-1."(Palace 2 - Spurs 1) Oh HELL no...(Full Time; standby for Rage Mode) SON OF A BITCH. Ledley's penalty will be one of the more debated points of the game but the bottom-line is after our awesome victory against Chelsea, we gave away 3 points against my ex's team. And why?! Because of Walker, Stambouli and Fazio. I'll give the former the benefit of the doubt, but he still looked like he was out of his depth against Zaha all night long. As for the other two... oh boy, angry doesn't even begin to describe my reactions to their effort and competence (or lack there of). It's one thing to get bargains from the continent but it's another if our owner wants a player (like Scheniderlin) and ends up settling with a piss-poor copycat (Stambouli). I hope we can pick ourselves to beat Burnley in the replay, but given the way our players seemed to have rested on their laurels after a Kane goal, I highly doubt it. At least Palace has actual fans... so many stadiums in the Premier League are almost like libraries these days (Arsenal and Tottenham are guilty of this).And I swear to FUCKING God... if I never see Fazio wearing a Spurs shirt ever again, it will be way too soon.(takes a deep breath)
- Spurs 1 - Leicester 2, January 24, 2015
"I wouldn't say today's game was disappointing at all. I, for one, am frankly embarrassed to be a Spurs fan today for losing so pathetically to the Foxes. I actually thought that we would have gotten our act together after the last few matches, and we were in the lead with Townsend's first-half goal. But our defense and forwards became so damn lazy that I just want to come to each of their houses and slap them in their faces.In order to see who was remotely tolerable, let's start by highlighting the ones who weren't. Fazio (yes, Poch had the balls to start that clown again) was awful, Adebayor was awful, Soldado was awful, Lamela was lame, Paulinho was awful, Dembele was awful, Chiriches was awful, Vorm was awful, Townsend was... not awful but rested on his laurels after scoring that goal. The only one who was anywhere close to decent was Christian Eriksen and I feel really sorry for him for having to work with a pair of pathetically lazy and overpaid strikers.And I thought our loss to Crystal Palace was humiliating. Foxes are surely going straight back down to the Championship and to crash out of the FA Cup to that team is an absolute disgrace. Each and every player and coach in our team should be ashamed of themselves for such an awful game. Sometimes, I wonder why I haven't donated my Spurs shirt... (deep breath, chugs a bottle of lager)"
- Sheffield United 2 - Spurs 2, January 28, 2015
(Sheffield 2 - Spurs 1) NO!!! NOOOOO!!! NOT THIS WAY! NOT THIS WAY! You're seriously telling me that after leading from a beautiful Eriksen freekick and 2-0 aggregate advantage, we're now trailing 2-1 in the match and 2-2 on aggregate?! Even if we progress via away goals after Extra Time, we just gave away a comfortable advantage YET AGAIN. Wake up, Spurs... or I'm out.(Sheffield 2 - Spurs 2) And apparently we did, thanks to Eriksen. But seriously, I'm through with Spurs' lack of effort in matches, league or cup. I can tolerate losses and upsets. I can tolerate not qualifying for the Champions League. Hell, I can tolerate relegation to the Championship. But you know what I can't stand? Players and coaches who don't care about the team. Don't blame this shit on Levy, oh no, he's been doing the best he could with an aging White Hart Lane and the cut-throat deals he can place. Rather, it's time for his players to step up so they won't let us down, again and again. Say what you will about Arsene Wenger and the Gunners winning only 2 trophies in the last 10 years, but at least all of them seem to give a fuck about their futility.And thus we progress... I don't think an upset against Chelsea's in the cards for us though. We'd be lucky to lose 2-1 in the dying minutes after leading 1-0 in Wembley honestly if we're going to blow leads to the likes of Sheffield and Leicester.BBC Five Live said where would we be without Eriksen. I don't know, but frankly he and Kane should just leave Spurs if that's the best everyone else in our team can do. Seriously Christian and Harry, you two are way too damn good for us...
Beef with Aniplex USA
- Response to Aniplex screwing over release of official subs for Kill la Kill
From overblown prices to triggering significant delays for subtitles on LEGAL sites like Crunchyroll, Aniplex USA is bar none the worst anime licensing company out there. I hope everyone on this forum now knows what I mean when I say they are the EA of anime, because what they are doing to the release of the English subs of this series and the prices of their physical releases of other shows is borderline criminal.And it's not like this is anything new, with the fiascoes that were their handling of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero and the initial batch of Sword Art Online. When you can purchase 13 episodes of Attack on Titan for $100 or the entire first season of Psycho-Pass with an almost identical amount of extras found in Aniplex series for only $140, I can't say I'm surprised to hear many turning to fansubs and piracy when it comes to this and other Aniplex shows (plus the likes of Chunnibyou S2). It's as if they want fans to turn to piracy, especially if the disastrous handling of the release schedule of Kill la Kill as a result of goofing up 1 episode (which is 100% Aniplex's fault by the way) is anything to go by. This, by the way, is coming from someone who seeks legal subs whenever possible (preferably via Hulu, Daisuki, or Funimation).
- "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door." - Harvey Milk