Administrivia: What to Do If You Are Suspended
If you're seeing this article, you're either browsing the Administrivia index or you got suspended from one or more site activities, and clicked on the link on the suspension message. Thanks for that, by the way! You're on the way to getting this resolved.
Why was I suspended?The first question you're probably asking is why you got a suspension. The answer depends on what part of the site you were trying to use, but in general, it means you broke one of our rules or caused a problem that we need to deal with. You may have gotten a private message about whatever the issue is, but you may not. In our experience, tropers don't always respond to PMs, and we need the thing you're doing to stop so other people don't have to spend as much time fixing it. A suspension doesn't mean, "We don't like you;" it means, "Come talk to us."
Common suspension reasons on the wiki:
- Persistent problems with Conversation in the Main Page, Word Cruft, grammar and spelling, Zero Context Examples, Example Indentation in Trope Lists, writing in first person, failing to index articles that you create, and other style rules.
- Edit Wars.
- Disregarding moderator instructions and/or article comments.
- Rudeness in edit reasons, discussion threads, or even in the articles themselves.
- Spamming, blanking, vandalizing, or bowdlerizing articles.
- Bringing an outside agenda to the wiki or being a pain in the neck over a particular topic.
Common suspension reasons on YKTTW:
- Egregiously bad grammar or writing style or persistent misuse of formatting.
- Improperly launching or discarding tropes.
- Taking over someone else's YKTTW when it is not Up for Grabs.
- Rudeness or arguing.
- Persistent failure to understand what is and is not a trope.
Common suspension reasons on the forums:
- Extreme or persistent rudeness.
- Accumulating a large number of thumps, to the point where we believe that you aren't getting the message.
- Spamming, trolling, or otherwise deliberately disrupting the forums.
- Individual subforums may have their own rules; please see the respective pinned rules threads and/or the Forum Herald message that you receive when making your first post.
How long does it last?The second thing you're asking is, "Am I permanently banned? How long will this last?" We don't have a fixed length of time on suspensions. They last until we're satisfied that the problem won't happen again. You need to come and ask us; don't just assume that it'll be removed at some point. Sometimes we do issue a "cooldown" suspension of a few days or weeks, but you still have to talk to us first.
How do I appeal?The third thing you're asking is how to appeal the suspension. That's easy. Go to this forum thread. Go the last page, click "Add a post" note , and type in your request. We ask that you remain polite. We'll be more inclined to treat you favorably if you show that you're willing to work with us. Please do not send private messages to the moderators, as we'll just tell you to go to the thread. While you wait for a response, you may wish to review Welcome to TV Tropes, TV Tropes Customs, YKTTW Guidelines, and the forum rules.
Permanent bansIn the circumstance that you find all of your privileges removed, to the point where you can't access the forums, edit the wiki, or do anything else, we have decided that your behavior has caused sufficient problems that we don't want you back. These bans are forever.
Possible reasons for permanent bans:
- Ban evasion (see below).
- Significant and/or obviously intentional vandalism.
- Repeated suspensions for the same or similar behavior.