Administrivia / What to Do If You Are Suspended
If you're seeing this article, you're either browsing the Administrivia
index or you got suspended from one or more site activities, and clicked on the link on the suspension message. Thanks for that, by the way! You're on the way to getting this resolved.
Why was I suspended?
The first question you're probably asking is why you got a suspension. The answer depends on what part of the site you were trying to use, but in general, it means you broke one of our rules or caused a problem that we need to deal with. You may have gotten a private message about whatever the issue is, but you may not. In our experience, tropers don't always respond to PMs, and we need the thing you're doing to stop so other people don't have to spend as much time fixing it.
A suspension doesn't mean, "We don't like you;" it means, "Come talk to us."
Common suspension reasons on the wiki:
- Persistent problems with Conversation in the Main Page, Word Cruft, grammar and spelling, Zero Context Examples, Example Indentation in Trope Lists, writing in first person, failing to index articles that you create, and other style rules.
- Edit Wars.
- Disregarding moderator instructions and/or article comments.
- Rudeness in edit reasons, discussion threads, or even in the articles themselves.
- Spamming, blanking, vandalizing, or bowdlerizing articles.
- Running any text-substitution plugins in your browser. These modify the text of articles that you edit and are considered vandalism.
- Bringing an outside agenda to the wiki or being a pain in the neck over a particular topic.
- Plagiarism, copyright violations, posting of illegal content.
Common suspension reasons on YKTTW:
- Egregiously bad grammar or writing style or persistent misuse of formatting.
- Improperly launching or discarding tropes.
- Taking over someone else's YKTTW when it is not Up for Grabs.
- Rudeness or arguing.
- Persistent failure to understand what is and is not a trope.
Common suspension reasons on the forums:
- Extreme or persistent rudeness.
- Accumulating a large number of thumps, to the point where we believe that you aren't getting the message.
- Spamming, trolling, or otherwise deliberately disrupting the forums.
- Individual subforums may have their own rules; please see the respective pinned rules threads and/or the Forum Herald message that you receive when making your first post.
Common suspension reasons in other areas of the site, or in general:
- Copy-pasting reviews from other sites, even if you wrote them.
- Writing reviews that constitute personal attacks on a creator or any real person.
- Personal attacks in comment threads.
- Any form of hate speech.
How long does it last?
The second thing you're asking is, "Am I permanently banned? How long will this last?" We don't have a fixed length of time on suspensions. They last until we're satisfied that the problem won't happen again. You need to come and ask us; don't just assume that it'll be removed at some point.
Sometimes we do issue a "cooldown" suspension of a few days or weeks, but you still have to talk to us first.
How do I appeal?
The third thing you're asking is how to appeal the suspension. That's easy. Go to this forum thread
. Go the last page, click "Add a post" note
, and type in your request. We ask that you remain polite. We'll be more inclined to treat you favorably if you show that you're willing to work with us.
Please do not send private messages to the moderators, as we'll just tell you to go to the thread.
While you wait for a response, you may wish to review Welcome to TV Tropes
, TV Tropes Customs
, YKTTW Guidelines
, and the forum rules
Don't be surprised if a moderator doesn't answer right away. We are busy people and we want to make sure we handle each case with the diligence that it deserves. That said, if your inquiry hasn't been answered within a couple of days, it's fine to ask again.
In the circumstance that you find all of your privileges removed, to the point where you can't access the forums, edit the wiki, or do anything else, we have decided that your behavior has caused sufficient problems that we don't want you back. These bans are forever.
Possible reasons for permanent bans:
- Ban evasion (see below).
- Significant and/or obviously intentional vandalism.
- Hate speech or blatantly illegal content.
- Repeated suspensions for the same or similar behavior.
You have a last resort. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and make a polite case for your appeal. Bear in mind that the resulting decision will be final.
It's very simple. If you make a new account to get around a suspension, you may be permanently banned, both on the new account and any other accounts you may have. This is not negotiable.
Asking another troper that you know to edit the wiki or post on your behalf may get that person banned as well. There are two exceptions:
- Delivering an appeal, but bear in mind that you should be doing it yourself via the Edit Banned thread or email (the address is email@example.com.)
- If you have been told to use the Get Help with English Here or Is this an example? topics as a condition of getting your suspension released, other tropers may post examples on your behalf once they've been vetted in those topics.
Thanks for your understanding.
PS: If your appeal is your first post in the Frequently Asked Questions forum, you'll receive a welcome message from its forum herald Septimus Heap
. While he'll gladly answer questions, please post any appeals or "Why was I suspended" questions in the thread.