Gungeon is a Dungeon World campaign run by Bass, as well as the general title for tabletop games run with the same group. Through seemingly complete random chance, Caprion, Eugene, Lucille, Oleander, Vivien, and Ziekte form an unlikely group of heroes.
How all six of them are still alive is anyone's guess.
Gungeon provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Vivien Argent, Ziekte, Meringue, Bonglord, Amadeu Vel, Truffle Undertale, Caprion Uchiha Minecraft...
- Author Appeal: The fact that a good portion of the NPCs are designed to be attractive aside, common design choices are Rapunzel Hair and small round glasses.
- Bathos: A common trend is for a dramatic, detailed passage to be finished off with something drastically less formal.Bass: four divine wings unfold from four faces- one human, three animal. delicate hooves touch the ground. a tinkling laugh graces your ears.Bass: roll your initiative lads
- Bond Creatures: Valid forms a link with Ziekte, allowing them to telepathically communicate.
- Cast Full of Gay
- Clear My Name: The gang defends Caprion in court after he is accused of Meringue's murder.
- Curse Cut Short: At least, Seraph tries to avoid swearing. It doesn't always work.
- Cool Shades: To the point that the wearer in question is only known as "Shades".
- Deal with the Devil: Ziekte. See also Willing Channeler.
- The priest trio also qualify. See Devil's Job Offer.
- Draconic Humanoid: Ziekte and Zaveis are both examples of this.
- The Fighting Narcissist: Alexis. And Vivien, to a degree.
- Fun with Acronyms: An unfortunate example in Caprion's full name, Caprion Uchiha Minecraft.
- Garden of Evil: Iagiel's garden of lies, composed of ruins and eye-covered vines spread under a pitch-black sky.
- Gods Need Prayer Badly: All deities in lore must sustain off of prayer, or in more violent circumstances, entire souls (devout or not.)
- Growing the Beard: The campaign had a fairly awkward start, mainly due to a lack of prep and being unused to the system. Things get more coherent by the time the priests show up.
- Hollywood Law
- Homage: The conflict following Lililia's party is essentially a chapter ripped from Ace Attorney.
- Hot Wings: Zarcon.
- Human Disguise: Zarcon, who assumes a (kind of) human guise when discussing his terms and conditions with Ziekte.
- Inn Between the Worlds: Lucky Harold's inn comes and goes solely at the need of the player characters, with the exception of the village of Skypoint.
- Idiot Hero: Gino.
- Light Is Not Good: The trio of priests, and later, Iagiel.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Lovable Coward: Luka.
- Loving a Shadow: A divine example- Seraph and co. are led to believe that Lumioel's followers have been worshiping the idea of them, rather than the deity themself.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Liehn. Doubles as The Right Hand of Doom.
- Mysterious Note: Caprion finds a note with the words "IF LOST END."
- One Steve Limit: Enforced. Rose was originally going to be named Vivien, before party member Vivien joined the campaign.
- One-Winged Angel: The priest trio, when confronted in combat, assume forms that may be straight out of a nightmare.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Our Gods Are Different
- Rapunzel Hair: Vivien, Lumioel, Rembris... it seems to be popular in this world.
- Precision F-Strike: Of all the characters, Lucille (the least profane character by far) is the one to deliver this while challenging Iagiel in their own garden.Lucille: FUCK OFF! What kind of god are you if you're too much of a coward not to run away?! Stay here and finish what you started! Stay here and act like a true god, if you are one!
- Sinister Minister: Seraph, Throne, and Cherub.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The priest trio.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gino delivers a minor one to Vivien, calling him out on leaving to search for his mother without even saying goodbye.
Caprion Uchiha Minecraft
Eugene Parvaiz Silva
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Divine Parentage
- Fauns and Satyrs
- Hot for Preacher: Expressed wanting to bang Seraph several times.
His distaste and fear of religion conflicts with his thinking most of the priests at the Church of Lumioel are sexy.
- From his Toyhouse page:
- Little Bit Beastly
- Mark of the Supernatural
- Meaningful Name: Potentially doubles as Ironic Name, depending on how you look at it. Eugene meaning "well-born."
- Nature Hero
- Wonder Child
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy
- All-Loving Hero
- Chaste Hero
- Heroic Sacrifice: An intrinsic part of his character. He's on his third or fourth, now.
- Made of Iron: Has been beaten to the brink of death several times, set on fire, thrown into a brick wall by a god, taken a holy spear wound for Vivien, used Lay on Hands to bear the brunt of a nightmare's curse causing him to turn into a shambling, speechless figure, and came back kicking every time. Tank indeed.
- The Paladin
- White Mage: Possesses healing abilities.
- Bratty Half-Pint: To some degree.
- Emotionally Tongue-Tied
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- Meaningful Name: Argent, from French meaning silver.
- Orphan's Ordeal
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: His mother's class ring.
- Parental Abandonment
- Shouldn't We Be in School Right Now?
- Slipknot Ponytail: During the fight with Seraph and Throne.
- Weak, but Skilled
- A Boy and His X: With Valid. Seeing as Valid the lizard is actually a pseudodragon, Shoulder-Sized Dragon may be more appropriate. Valid could also qualify as a Morality Chain.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Came Back Wrong
- Combat Medic
- Cursed with Awesome
- Deal with the Devil: The Devil being his patron god, Zarcon.
- Draconic Humanoid
- Identity Amnesia
- Inhuman Human
- Monstrous Humanoid
- Red Right Hand
- Scaled Up: See also Came Back Wrong, Inhuman Human, and Was Once a Man.
- Slow Transformation
- Tomato in the Mirror
- White Mage: The party's primary healer.
AdelineA charismatic arcane duelist with a crooked smile and incredible alcohol tolerance.
- Drinking on Duty: One of the first impressions Adeline makes on the party is slamming back a full bottle of vodka.
- Duels Decide Everything: A staple of her class.
- Magnetic Hero: Pyre essentially gives up on being a prison guard after losing to her in an arm-wrestling contest.
"The Fucking Bonglord"A skeleton. Wields his signature sword, Analdestroyer6000.
- Dem Bones: Bonglord is a friendly(?) resurrected skeleton.
- Famous Last WordsBonglord: HELLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABEYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices himself to the fauns to let the rest of the party escapes.
Svetnyy VerrenThe party's introverted, nerdy young cleric. Wields his grandfather's staff, Cometfall, which can be less-than-cooperative.
- Cute Bookworm
- Raised by Grandparents: Raised solely by his grandfather before his death, who left him Cometfall.
- White Mage
ZaveisA strange kobold blacksmith, exiled from his home village and asked politely to live on the outskirts of Castene. Wields a pair of blackened gloves named the Wroughtscale Gauntlets.
- Adorable Evil Minions
- Eat the Bomb: Does this to an unstable fireball of his own creation, to avoid setting the surrounding forest on fire.
- Fiery Salamander: Being a Kobold.
- Mad Oracle: Shades of this.
- Lizard Folk
- Playing with Fire
- Pyromaniac: Has no qualms about starting fires in the Ancient Forest, and suggests multiple times to Adeline while imprisoned that he should light the whole place up.
Non Player Characters
- Important Haircut: Cuts off most of their hair to aid in the spell for escaping the garden.
- Team Mom
Lililia SadrelethAn extraordinarily talented college student from a family of successful magic users. While passionate and (mostly) friendly, she struggles to form meaningful relationships with her peers.
- Always Someone Better
- Genius Ditz: Downplayed. Though she's certainly a smart person who has a hard time socially, she isn't completely friendless.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- Intelligence = Isolation
- Twice Shy: She and Gregg are both essentially dating, but neither of them can say the word "girlfriend."
Truffle UndertaleA nervous faun artist just trying to make it through the day. Very passionate about the comic "Moonmages."
- Cute Bookworm
- Opaque Nerd Glasses
- Regretful Traitor
- The Short Guy with Glasses
- Shrinking Violet
- Stutter Stop: While normally stammering her way through, well, anything else, she manages to get a full sentence out when Eugene gets her to crack in court.
- Unfortunate Names
Melye George HighstoneCaprion's insufferable ex from prison, as well as a prosecutor. He's not too happy about being stabbed in the eye.
MeringueA tricky magician with a penchant for illusion. Seems to have faked their own death.
- Faking the Dead: Meringue fakes their own death in order to frame Caprion.
- Impossibly Awesome Magic Trick: Appeared out of nowhere in a prison cell, then left as quickly as they appeared.
- Stage Magician
Dr. Para Chess
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chess's office is littered with cans of soup, and xe has a "soup closet" which xe apparently eats lunch in.
- Axes at School: Justified in that the school specializes in swordfighting.
- Boarding School
- Duels Decide Everything
- Elaborate University High
- Metallic Motifs
- Power Trio
- The Ace
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Meaningful Name: Arany, from Hungarian meaning gold.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy
- Human Sacrifice
- Don't Go in the Woods: Trespassers have a tendency to wind up as food for Cxithdris.
- Lost Woods
PyreAn exhausted faun who has all but given up on her role in the forest.
- Love at First Punch: Upon losing to Adeline in an arm-wrestling match, she proceeds to spill about half of her life story and develop a crush on her.
In generalGod Is Flawed
Lumioel, God of Hope and Protector of MortalsA popular deity and Lucille's patron.
- Asskicking Equals Authority
- Blindfolded Vision
- God of Good: While "good" is subjective, "hope" and "protecting mortals" are hard to construe as evil.
- Names to Trust Immediately
Cxithdris, God of Rebirth and the Seasons, Lord of the ForestThe ruler of the Ancient Forest and creator of fauns and dryads.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Dresses very sharply in human form.
- Hot God: When in A Form You Are Comfortable With.
- Mother Nature
- Physical God: Normally hangs around in the Ancient Forest with his followers.
Rembris, God of the Void, Balance, and Death, Keeper of the GatesA concerningly carefree deity who handles souls post-mortem. Loves garlic, for some reason.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Garlic.
Zarcon, God of Bloody Conquest and Personal Victory, King of DragonsA smug serpent with questionable motives who took a heavy beating courtesy of Lumioel a while back, but continues to live as Ziekte's patron for now.
Iagiel, God of Deceit and DisguisePosed as Lumioel to usurp their following, and thus had their home garden in the Void burned down by the party.
- Abstract Eater: Feeds off of the memories of mortals, who forget their identities in the process.
- Light Is Not Good
- Master of Illusion
- Psychological Torment Zone: Their garden.
Etari, Patron of Thieves, Lovers, and PerseveranceA dead god only spoken of in a select few legends.
LucA strange young man who contacted Eugene in his sleep.
- Distressed Dude
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Talking in Your Dreams: Visits Eugene in his sleep, requesting his aid and advising him on the Meringue situation.