This is a page for the characters of Shinji and Warhammer 40k
Shinji IkariThe wimp that was not.
- Adaptational Badass: Besides his prologue power-up, Shinji eventually travels to Javaal to better understand his abilities, returning with the power to reduce an Angelspawn to vapor with a glance.
- Ironically, this is the one trope Bpen was deliberately trying to avert at first; his author's notes claim that Shinji just needs a better childhood to become awesome, but Shinji's "better childhood" also came with his own gang, Chessmaster training at the feet of an Eldar Farseer, the universal respect and adoration of his entire hometown, and the ability to call in favors and financial support from wealthy friends.
- All-Loving Hero: He redeems bullies into Bully Hunters with forgiveness and inspiring words.
- Berserk Button: Kaworu Nagisa. He is so enigmatic and affable that Shinji is completely pissed off by the sight of him.
- The Chessmaster: A trait that he inherited from Gendo.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The only people that know (initially) that he is The Leader of Da Boyz are Da Boyz themselves. To everyone else he is a nice and quiet boy.
- Defeat Means Friendship: How Shinji formed Da Boyz. When he was eight years old, three older delinquents stole his Warboss figurine. Shinji confronted them and, despite being outnumbered and outmatched, managed to win. The delinquents themselves were so impressed by the boy's massive brass balls that they pledged their loyalty to him. Since then, Da Boyz refer to Shinji as "Da Boss" and any command he gives them as "Da Word".
- Destructive Savior: Whenever Shinji saves the day, stuff blows up. It happens so often that people instantly know he's back when there's massive destruction. Even when he's trying not to, Shinji ends up causing more destruction than actual Angels.
- Friend to All Children: By his own admission while he does believe that there are no innocents, Shinji sees no reason for childhood not to be safe and happy, and Da Boyz were styled by him primarily as a way to keep kids entertained and out of trouble.
- Funetik Aksent: Shinji's English is quite "authentic," as he learned it by reading Ork codices. His groups Da Boyz and Gretch picked up the same speech patterns, resulting in a generation of Japanese schoolchildren who speak like English football hooligans.
- Guile Hero
- Grew a Spine: And how! Shinji goes from wimp to God Emperor of Mankind.
- The Hero
- Heroes Want Redheads: He loves Asuka.
- Horrifying the Horror: Shinji is so awesome and brutally efficient that Angels see him as Nightmare Fuel incarnate. Holy Shit.
- In the Blood: Shinji has inherited a lot of traits from his father that he'd prefer not to admit, such as being manipulative and the Always Save the Girl behavior Gendo has with Yui. Fortunately, Shinji's way more kindhearted than Gendo and has different goals than he does. Ritsuko imagines Shinji as mini-Gendo and the mere thought of history repeating again through Shinji's friendship with Rei (whom Ritsuko also imagined as mini-Yui) makes her freak the hell out.
- The Leader: A type I and IV for Da Boyz. He's the mastermind behind their activities and the respect they have for him is regularly likened to religious devotion.
- Literal Split Personality: His four figurine advisers. Rei can speak with them, though at first this just looks like her own developing imagination. Later they start talking Asuka and Kaworu also speaks to them which pushes them more fully into this trope.
- Lonely at the Top: Becoming this in the end is one of Shinji's deepest fears. It's a feeling he shares with his father Gendo....for what he wanted most was a friend, not a slave.
- My Greatest Failure: He blames himself for Minase's rape by a high schooler, thinking he indirectly provoked it and could have stopped it. This is compounded by accepting the Chaos Marine's offer the night before and wanting to cause her pain. The guilt of both acts causes him greater torment than anything in his life.
- Spanner in the Works
- Young Conqueror: He's a young teenager and already he's on his way to being immortalized in the history books.
Asuka Langley SohryuThe Red-haired Tsundere Love Interest.
- Ace Pilot: One of the best pilots in the series.
- An Axe to Grind: Her favorite weapon.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Inverted. After killing Israfel, she simply says: "Hey Shinji?...I think I like you."
- Badass Bookworm: She is fourteen and she is a college graduate. She and Ritsuko bonded for a short while due to her scientifically-inclined mindset.
- Badass Normal: She uses this term to describe herself. Subverted when it was revealed that she was infused with Angel DNA.
- Battle Couple: With Shinji.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: with Shinji.
- The Berserker: Asuka's battle antics are those of a berserker and she uses the traditional gear of a Khornate Berserker (in the form of an Eva-scaled chainaxe). She is reportedly enough of a berserker that her battle rage overrides even that of her Eva's default mental state. However she's a cold berserker. A berserker Unit 02 uses weapons and fights with the same techniques, only with more eating of enemy body parts.
- Big Damn Heroes: She performed one in Germany.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Rei and Asuka. They make a surprisingly good comedy duo. Typically, Asuka is the straight man, while Rei is the boke. Asuka, perhaps understandably, thinks "tsukkomi" is some sort of bizarre Japanese perversion and refuses to listen whenever someone attempts to explain it.
- Broken Ace: She is an excellent pilot and she has been heavily traumatized.
- Broken Bird: Her mother died, her father ignored her and she had to turn herself into a badass to cope with it.
- Buffy Speak: She falls into it occasionally:Asuka: "Again, with the not giving of the good feelings."
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-Japanese, half-German.
- Calling Your Attacks: "SCHLAGANN IMPACT!", "GIGA DRILL BREAKER!"
- Chainsaw Good: She uses a prog-chainaxe.
- Child Soldier: Trained since she was four.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She is extremely possessive and jealousy of Shinji. During their Relationship Upgrade in chapter 36, she claims him like hers, and declares that she will have everything from him.
- Companion Cube: After Shinji goads Unit 02 into a berserker rage, Asuka screams "DON'T TOUCH MY EVA!"
- Destructive Saviour: She does not reach Shinji's levels, but she is still pretty destructive on her own.
- Determinator: She is very, very, very stubborn.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Seriously, Asuka, Shinji just woke up from one. That's what she wants us to think, at any rate.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Asuka had to deal with Rei's advances since chapter 12.
- Fiery Redhead
- Gratuitous German: Used widely.
- Hot-Blooded: Very much so. She is full of anger, passion, bravery and bloodlust. Ironically her hot-bloodness is overshadowed by Shinji in this setting.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: All of her hubris and her bluster was in reality a mask to hide that she is a very traumatized, very lonely child with zero self-esteem. Shinji saw through her façade immediately.
- It Meant Something to Me: In chapter 36 Asuka feels betrayed and wonders if Kaworu -and even Shinji- were playing with her feelings. Shinji insisted that, although he hates Nagisa, he knows that Kaworu loves her. And Nagisa knows the same thing about Shinji.
- It's Personal: When Kaworu uses the Earth Cradle to take over Germany by force, Asuka is just ticked off.
- Lonely at the Top: During their conversation in chapter 36, Asuka admits that it was warm be held and protected by someone, and it was cold to stand alone and so high.
- Love Triangle: With Shinji and Kaworu. She liked both and they cared for her. Eventually she chose Shinji.
- Lovely Angels: With Rei.
- Official Couple: With Shinji since chapter 36.
- Only Sane Woman: Often she feels like it when Shinji starts to break physics laws and everyone else simply choose shrugging it off.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Played straight with Shinji; subverted with Kaworu.
- Tsundere: Asuka's irritation/anger at Shinji increases early on the more she comes to adore him. Outright rage tends to be reserved for her rivals for his attention.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Shinji. Resolved in chapter 36.
- Worthy Opponent: She realizes that Kaworu's reason to seize Germany is dare her to take it back because he knows that she loves a challenge, and he hopes that if he gives him a good one, maybe she will return to him.
The blue-haired Yandere who likes blowing things up.
- BrotherSister Incest: She loves very much Shinji. She is also genetically his sister due to being cloned from Yui's DNA, but she does not care about it.
- Double Entendre: Rei embraces this as a unique "brand of psychological torture as a device for humor." She seems to particularly enjoy reminding Asuka of how well she and Shinji "connect," while implying that she and Asuka could "connect" in a similar fashion."... and she began to scream. I still fail to understand this concept of humor."
- Heroes Want Redheads: She is also drawn to Asuka.
- Lovely Angels: With Asuka.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: As of chapter 6, she is utterly devoted to Shinji whether he likes it or not, and is willing to do absolutely anything for him. One word from Shinji and she'll do it gladly.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: May God, Adam, Lilith, the God Emperor of Humankind, the Ruinous Powers, the Eldar and Orkish gods and other assorted deities protect you if you hurt Shinji. She does not particularly cares about the city blocks she has to level to catch you.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Shinji and Rei agree early on in the story that her being being a Half-Human Hybrid doesn't warrant exclusion from the human race, and when her secret gets out, her classmates readily accept her for who she is.
- Yandere: Shinji's schoolmates see Rei as the yandere to Asuka's blatant tsundere, as past chapter 6, Rei will do anything Shinji wants (and by that we mean absolutely anything) without a moment's hesitation.She felt indeed, happy. Whatever you say, pilot Ikari. It is as I will be. For you have said to believe, and I do. Together shall we stand; until time itself ends. My name is Ayanami Rei. I shall love that which you love, and shun that which you shun. Until time ends.
- Yuri Fangirl: She is this.
The Eldar FarseerOne of the four figurine advisors of Shinji. She is old and wise, and when she is not trying to convince Shinji to get his own harem or talking Asuka into getting into Shinji's pants, she is actually helpful.
- Dirty Old Woman: She's constantly trying to persuade Shinji into forming his own harem and getting into Asuka's (and/or Rei's) pants. Shinji is not amused. She also tries to do the same with Asuka, persuading her to getting into Shinji's pants.
- Fiery Redhead: In spite of her age she can get pretty temperamental.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears them. It is ironical because she is very, very, very old.
- Shipper on Deck: Although she fully supports the notion of Shinji getting himself a harem, she has often encouraged Asuka to get in Shinji's pants and claiming him like hers.
The Ork WarbossOne of the four figurines advisors of Shinji. He isn't too bright and is often the one who encourages that Murder Is the Best Solution.
The Space Marine
The Chaos Marine
MisatoNERV Director of Operations. She took Shinji and later Asuka in.
- The Captain: Of the pilots. At the beginning, she holds this rank. Later she got promoted to Colonel.
- Colonel Badass: After being promoted to Colonel, she basically became this.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Her plans rival Shinji's in craziness.
- Parental Substitute: She is the only real parental figure Shinji and Asuka have got since they were three.
Shinji's father. He abandoned his son after his wife's death because was afraid of him. He will do anything to bring Yui back.
- Abusive Parents: Like canon, he abandoned Shinji after Yui's death.
- Always Save the Girl: He will do anything to get his wife Yui back just like his canon self, even if he will destroy humanity in an Assimilation Plot to do it.
- Bad Boss
- Big Bad
- Creepy Old Man: Like canon, he made Rei as a disturbing substitute for Yui.
- Jerkass: He is such a douchebag that even Canon!Gendo would call him out on his actions.
- Kick the Dog: His main shtick, especially when Shinji is concerned.
- Like Father, Like Son: It seems that Shinji inherited a lot of things from Gendo than he'd care to admit, such as being The Chessmaster.
- Lonely at the Top: A feeling that he shares with his son Shinji.
MinaseOne of Shinji's classmates in elementary school and his first crush.
- The Beautiful Elite: Her delicate beauty and grace and general 'princess' atmosphere are what attract Shinji.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Acts sweet when she's truly snotty.
- Elegant Classical Musician
- Defiled Forever: Has this opinion of herself after the high schooler rapes her. She's ashamed to see Shinji because she thinks, despite his crush, he wouldn't want anything to do with her now.
- Hero's Muse: She's the reason Shinji took up the cello; he wanted to be near her in the band and impress her.
- HeelFace Turn: After the debacle with her high school boyfriend she becomes one of Shinji's converts.
- Ojou A high class girl adored by many in the school, including Shinji (at first).
- Rape Portrayed as Redemption (Rape as Drama?) - Happens the end of the prologue. The person who did it is then killed (accidentally) after being attacked by her and Kobayakawa.
- Rich Bitch: She acts like a snotty princess because her family's well off.
- Ship Sinking: If Minase rejecting him did not kill the couple, Shinji leaving for Tokyo-3 definitely deep-sixed it. Now Shinji is being chased by Asuka, Rei, Maya, Mana... and there is no place left for Minase, especially now that Shinji has chosen Asuka.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: She knew Shinji since they were little kids, but she turned down Shinji's crush because she thinks she's too good for him. This bites her in the ass later, now that Shinji has grown up and attracted the attentions of every female in Tokyo-3, including Rei and Asuka, Shinji's girlfriend. Poor Minase was left in the dust.