The Patrick Star Show
is the second spin-off of SpongeBob SquarePants
, succeeding Kamp Koral
, focusing on SpongeBob's best friend Patrick Star as he hosts a talk show. It first aired on July 9, 2021 on Nickelodeon
along with Middlemost Post
This series contains examples of:
- Alternate Continuity: The show can be viewed as this to its main counterpart (if not a loose prequel), as the showrunners have stated they don't treat the SpongeBob canon too seriously when devising the show, and the show itself is pretty loose in regards to keeping its characters consistent to how they're depicted in SpongeBob SquarePants.
- A Day in the Limelight: This entire spin-off is dedicated to Patrick and his family.
- Art Shift: This show is going to change art styles very often.
- Ascended Extra: The character of Squidina first made supporting roles in the main series' episodes "Goons on the Moon" and "The Goofy Newbie".
- Slappy, the Peter Lorre lookalike fish who only made one appearance on the original show (in Spongebobs Big Birthday Blowout), becomes a regular here.
- The Bus Came Back: Grandma Tentacles, who made her original appearance in the episode of the original show, "Chum Fricassee", returns after 9 years of absence.
- Denser and Wackier: To put things into perspective, on top of the wacky looking intro, the showrunners have stated that there are no set rules to the show.
- The Ditz: Yes, Patrick is still the idiot we all know and love, but it also seems to run in his family (apart from Squidina and GrandPat).
- Eldritch Location: Patrick's house is a family friendly version, with an absurd layout, and a door (the door from Patrick's room, specifically) that can lead to an aggressive, murderous knight, space, or the rest of the house.
- The Eponymous Show: The Patrick Star Show.
- Happily Adopted: Patrick's sister is a smart squid, as opposed to the rest (except maybe GrandPat, for the intelligence part) being dumb starfish. She fits in with the rest of the family regardless.
- Mr. Imagination: The titular show was once referred to as "Patrick's imaginary show," which, along with a segment of the first episode, suggests the titular show is just a hobby Patrick does within his imagination.
- Prequel: To the original show.
- Random Events Plot: So far, episodes of the show lean more heavily in this territory than to having a more consistent plot like in SpongeBob. The premiere episode for example is about Patrick ending up in different wacky escapades while simply trying to find something to eat.
- Really 700 Years Old: GrandPat's "back in my day" flashback suggests his day was the Stone Age.
- Patrick's parents look completely different than in the main series, and even their names are different.
- This show, as well as Kamp Koral, retcons the meetings of other characters, with SpongeBob being friends with Squidward as a teenager, despite meeting him as an adult. SpongeBob is also shown to know Patrick as a teenager, somewhat continuing the fact they've known since they were babies in "The Secret Box".
- Patrick's sister was a large starfish that was Dumb Muscle in the main series, instead of being a small squid that looks to be Wise Beyond Their Years here. He also said he didn't have a sister in the main series episode "Something Smells"; but then again said series did later introduce Patrick's other supposed sister, Sam Star in the episode "Big Sister Sam".
- Second Episode Introduction: SpongeBob first appears in the second segment in the first episode of the spin-off.
- Surrounded by Idiots: GrandPat is the only member of the family (aside from Squidina) who is very smart, or at least of average intellect.