Head high up in the clouds
I was born to run, I don't belong to anyone
Oh no, I don't need to be loved by you
Miley Ray Cyrus (born Destiny Hope Cyrus; November 23, 1992) is a former Teen Idol, best known as the star of the Disney Channel Kid Com Hannah Montana and successful singing career. (2001-present) She is also the daughter of country musician Billy Ray Cyrus.
As the star of Hannah Montana, Disney built an entire franchise around her with great results, propelling her to the top of the Teen Idol heap and making her loved by many, many thousands of girls across the globe. Along with the show, she also performed as Hannah Montana and soon after embarked on her own solo music and acting career without the Hannah persona. Took a Hotter and Sexier turn in 2013, and this has gotten loads of press coverage. Cyrus has sold an estimated twenty million albums worldwide to date.
She got engaged to Liam Hemsworth in May 2012, after three years of dating, but they broke it off in 2013. In late 2015, however, it was reported that Miley and Liam had rekindled their romance and Miley began wearing her engagement ring again. After a decade of an on-and-off relationship with Liam, they got married in December 2018, but divorced in January 2020.
In 2015 she came out as pansexual and genderfluid (although she did not initially explicitly say this, she said she has a lack of gender identity), following an interview with Out Magazine where she said "I didn't want to be a boy, I kind of wanted to be nothing. I don't relate to what people would say defines a girl or a boy, and I think that's what I had to understand: Being a girl isn't what I hate, it's the box that I get put into".
Following the publication of this interview, she posted a picture on her Instagram, saying "NOTHING can/will define me! Free to be EVERYTHING!!!" In June 2015 she officially came out, saying she'd known she was attracted to girls since the age of 14 and that she was "down with any adult — anyone over the age of 18 who is down to love me. I don't relate to being boy or girl, and I don't have to have my partner relate to boy or girl."
- Big Fish (2003) as Ruthie, age 8 note
- Hannah Montana (2006-11) as Miley Stewart / Hannah Montana
- The Emperor's New School (2007-08) as Mudka's Meat Hut Waitress (voice)
- The Replacements (2007) as Celebrity Starr (voice)
- High School Musical 2 (2007) as Girl at Pool note
- Bolt (2008) as Penny (voice)
- The Last Song (2010) as Ronnie Miller
- Sex and the City 2 (2010) as herself
- LOL (2012) as Lola "Lol" Williams
- Two and a Half Men (2012) as Missi
- So Undercover (2012) as Molly Morris / Brook Stonebridge
- Stone Quackers (2015) as Skateboarding Pigeon (voice)
- The Night Before (2015) as herself
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) as Mainframe (voice)
- Black Mirror (2019) as Ashley O note
As Hannah Montana
- Hannah Montana (2006)
- Hannah Montana 2 (2007)
- Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert [live album] (2008)
- Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009)
- Hannah Montana 3 (2009)
- Hannah Montana Forever (2010)
- Meet Miley Cyrus (2007)
- Breakout (2008)
- The Time of Our Lives [EP] (2009)
- Can't Be Tamed (2010)
- Bangerz (2013)
- Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz (2015)
- Younger Now (2017)
- She Is Coming [EP] (2019)
- Plastic Hearts (2020)
- Best Of Both Worlds Tour (2007-2008)
- Wonder World Tour (2009)
- Gypsy Heart Tour (2011)
- Bangerz tour (2014)
- Milky Milky Milk Tour (2015)
- The Voice (2016-17) — Part-time advisor of season 10, full-time coach of seasons 11 and 13
It's our party, we can trope what we want:
- Ambiguous Situation: In "Who Owns My Heart", Miley is having a strong emotional reaction, but she doesn't know if it's caused by The Power of Love or by Awesome Music.
- Anti-Christmas Song: "Another Sad Christmas Song".
- Anti-Love Song: "Can't Be Tamed" in the way "Oops!... I Did It Again" was.
- Break-Up Song: "7 Things", "The Driveway", "Bottom Of the Ocean" (In interpretation), "These Four Walls", "Goodbye", "Talk is Cheap", "Two More Lonely People", "FU", "Someone Else", "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", "Take Me Along", "Wrecking Ball", "Slide Away".
- Child Popstar: Her earliest works were recorded when she was 12 years old.
- Christmas Songs: "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree".
- Concert Kiss: Kissed Katy Perry during the Bangerz tour... and liked it. It seems to be a running theme as two other kisses have occurred, including one with a random fan.
- Cover Version: "Cherry Bomb", "I Love Rock N Roll", "Kicking and Screaming", "These Four Walls", "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Landslide", "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Lilac Wine", "Look What They've Done to My Song Ma", "Bad Reputation", "Start All Over", "Jolene" and more.
- Averted with "I Miss You". There's no other way to say that.
- Her ex-Hannah Montana co-star Emily Osment tweeted a joke about the possibility of Miley fans accidentally downloading Bruce Springsteen's song "Wrecking Ball" on iTunes rather than Miley's 2013 #1 hit of the same name and boosting Bruce's sales in the process.
- Reports that Miley has recorded a cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" with Flaming Lips have surfaced in 2014.
- She has also covered The Smiths' "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" and "Bigmouth Strikes Again", and "Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Rey in the acoustic sections of her Bangerz tour, and Arctic Monkeys' "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" and a duet of Madonna's "Don't Tell Me" with Madonna herself on her MTV Unplugged special.
- In 2016 she and Billy Idol did a cover version of his song "Rebel Yell", and Idol himself would later appear on her Plastic Hearts album, featured on Night Crawling. The two also did a cover of "White Wedding" for the 2021 Super Bowl.
- In 2018, Miley took part in a Elton John tribute album, Revamp: The Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin, singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me''.
- She achieved great praise for covering the Blondie song "Heart of Glass, as well as The Cranberries song "Zombie".
- In 2020, she covered Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" on Saturday Night Live.
- Distinct Double Album: Hannah Montana 2/Meet Miley Cyrus.
- Drives Like Crazy: "4X4".
- Early-Bird Cameo: Before her fame as a teen idol, she got a few cameos on her father's TV series, Doc.
- Follow Your Heart: "The Climb"; "Someone Else".
- Friend to All Living Things: She grew up on a ranch with plenty of animals, from dogs to fish to horses to tropical birds as pets, and even living alone as a young adult, has several pets in her house—-including a full-grown pig, all of which she posts photos of on social media. Many of her songs are dedicated to or inspired by her animal companions, living and deceased ("Pablow the Blowfish", "Bottom of the Ocean", "The Floyd Song (Sunrise)", etc.)
- Gainaxing: Not Miley herself, but her backup dancers in her Bangerz tour commercial.
- Gay Aesop: "My Heart Beats for Love" is dedicated to her gay friend and has one of the most thorough messages that all love is love.
- Genki Girl: Watch one of her appearances on any talk show. Chances are the host, no matter how experienced, will run into a point where he can't get in a word edgewise. This especially happens with particularly deep, personal, or highly-controversial topics, such as LGBT rights, her dating life, or her musical transformation.
- Genre Roulette: Within the style of teen-pop, her music takes on elements of pop, rock, dance, techno, country-pop, New Wave, hip-hop, power ballads, punk-pop...
- Bangerz was the first significant shift from her previous albums, it was mostly a pop/R&B album with production from Pharrell Williams. Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz was an experimental, psychedelic rock album. Younger Now was a return to her country-pop roots, and Plastic Hearts is a rock/pop project.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears two bun knots for her MTV VMAs in 2013.
- Genre Mashup: "4X4" is a square dance pop-rap song.
- Dead Petz contains a psychedelic rock/alternative/hip-hop/pop sound.
- Green Aesop: "Wake Up America" from Breakout, "1 Sun" from Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz,
- The first verse of "Inspired" from Younger Now might also count.
- Grief Song: "I Miss You"; "Pablow the Blowfish"; "Miss You So Much".
- Hidden Depths: Many are surprised are how surprisingly nice and intelligent she is. She even started a charity called the "Happy Hippie Foundation", which is dedicated to homeless and LGBTQ youth.
- "I Hate" Song: "7 Things", in which she sings about the seven things she hates about her ex. Although the final chorus subverts this by listing the seven things she likes about them.
- In Da Club: Bangerz has this theme, as do Midnight Sky and Night Crawling.
- Important Haircut: The punky, blonde-dyed pixie-cut she adopted in June 2012 seemed to signal her full transformation from Disney pop star to a more mature image.
- She would later grow out her hair and dye only the tips blonde, signaling her change to a Lighter and Softer country/folk sound and image (and newfound sobriety) for her "Malibu" single and seventh studio album, though she would cut her hair again, albeit it to a mullet than to a pixie cut in early 2020, following her separation from Liam Hemsworth.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: "Fuckin Fucked Up", "FU", "WTF Do I Know".
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Enforced when she made it her legal name.
- "Leaving the Nest" Song: "Ready, Set, Don't Go" is a duet with Miley's father, Billy Ray Cyrus, about how she is ready to leave and have a future, while her father is struggling to accept that she's no longer a child.
- Lonely Piano Piece: "The Twinkle Song".
- Music Is Politics: The look she adopted after Hannah Montana is clearly about selling records and shedding her old kiddy image.
- Medley: Did a cover medley at The Gypsy Heart tour. "I Love Rock N Roll/Cherry Bomb/Bad Reputation".
- Edge of Midnight is a medley/remix of Midnight Sky and the Stevie Nicks song Edge of Seventeen.
- Non-Appearing Title: "Take Me Along" doesn't feature the words Take Me Along.
- Obsession Song: "Obsessed".
- The One Thing I Don't Hate About You: "7 Things" ends with Miley listing seven things that she likes about her ex instead of hates.
- Pretty in Mink: She wore a fox coat in the "We Can't Stop" video, and the same coat for a few Christmas concerts that year.
- Rearrange the Song: Her live performances of "Do My Thang" on her ''Bangerz' tour have a square dance feel, at least in the beginning.
- She celebrated the tenth anniversary of "See You Again" in 2017 by performing the song for the first time in six years on BBC Live Lounge, in a slower, folksy/country style.
- Refuge in Audacity:
- Went up to accept an award for Video of the Year at the 2013 MTV European Music Awards in Amsterdam, clearly lighting a joint on stage.
- The 2013 MTV VMAs performance also ran on this to some extent.
- This trope and Rule of Fun seem to feel a great deal of Miley's 2014 Bangerz tour, particularly during opening songs "(SMS) Bangerz", "4x4", and "Love Money Party".Michael K.: This is what happens when a 90s baby really, really wishes they lived through the 80s.
- Retcon: On her website circa August 2012, she has Breakout, Time of Our Lives and Can't Be Tamed, but no longer acknowledges her album "collaboration" with Hannah Montana called Meet Miley Cyrus.
- As of late 2013, she doesn't even acknowledge that anything pre-Bangerz even existed.
- Interviews taken around the release of Can't Be Tamed have Miley saying "seven years old me would beat-up 18-year old me for being a sellout", so maybe this is a trend we're seeing here.
- Miley kept her teen-pop hits (and the occasional Hannah hit) in live setlists even up to the 2011 Gypsy Heart Tour, yet the only music of hers to predate 2012 in her regular Bangerz Tour setlists are "Can't Be Tamed" and "Party in the U.S.A.". May have something to do with her wanting to be seen as a new artist with her RCA Records deal. The tour's director, Dianne Martel, is responsible for barely any old hits being performed. She thought they "wouldn't fit" the theme of the tour. It's safe to say Miley may not have wanted to perform them either, though.
- Rock Star Song: "Fly on the Wall" and "Robot".
- Self-Deprecation: Her Saturday Night Live appearance in 2011 has a sketch called "Disney Channel Acting School", a spoof ad where Miley, dressed in an over-exaggerated Miley Ray Stewart outfit, and former Nickelodeon star Kenan Thompson dressed as Raven-Symoné, parody the conventions and devices she and her fellow Disney stars used in the channel's hit Kid Coms.
- Shaking the Rump: Her stage routine now utilizes a surprising amount of this, ever since taking a Hotter and Sexier turn. She described her love of "twerking" in-depth in a 2013 interview with Ryan Seacrest, but it really came to dominate her public image after her performance at the 2013 VMAs. She's arguably the reason that "twerk" is now a household word.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Best expressed by the video for "Wrecking Ball".
- Shot for Shot Remake: LOL was one of these.
- Shout-Out: The closeup of her face at the start of the "Wrecking Ball" video is one to Sinéad O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to U". Notably, O'Connor was not impressed.
- Miley dresses up as one of her musical heroes, Elvis Presley, multiple times in the "Younger Now" video, and the cover of the album of the same name.
- Shrinking Violet: The protagonist in "See You Again" is one. May also cross with Obsession Song.
- Silly Love Songs: "Stay", "Adore You", "Full Circle" and "Obsessed" especially. Actually, most of her discography pre-Bangerz was composed of these.
- Singer Namedrop: "My best friend Lesley said, 'Oh, she's just bein' Miley.'"
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: From 2012 onward especially, at least compared with a few years ago.
- The Something Song: "Simple Song", "The Twinkie Song".
- The Stoner: During the Bangerz and Dead Petz eras, as confirmed in an interview with Jimmy Kimmel.
- Studio Chatter: Miley shouts "Rrrrock'N'Rolllll!!!" at the end of "East Northumberland High".
- Surreal Music Video: "Start All Over" breaks the bounds of logic.
- Take That!:
- "Robot" is basically one enormous Take That! aimed at the Disney machine and the Contractual Purity it entails, as well as a swipe at the Moral Guardians who overreact to Cyrus' every misstep. It could also be towards a certain episode of Family Guy that depicts her as an actual robot.
- Her Saturday Night Live monologue got even straighter to the point, in which she compared her relatively mild scandals to the likes of Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan and satirically apologized, saying "I'm sorry that I'm not perfect." In the song, of course.
- "Fly on the Wall" is about the paparazzi and how they like seeing things that aren't there with guys who are just her friends and how she's 100% committed to whoever she happens to be dating at any moment.
- The line "It's my mouth, I can say what I want to" in "We Can't Stop" can be interpreted in this way.
- This response to a meme snarkily and negatively comparing "old Miley" with "new Miley" note and attributing it to her stoner habits was met with this caption on her Instagram account.
- Teen Idol: Was only about thirteen when she hit it big.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: Beginning with Party in the USA, hip gyrations have become an increasingly prominent part of Miley's dance repertoire, culminating in her twerking at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. It's since become a major part of her repertoire.
- Title Track: "Breakout", "The Time of Our Lives" and "Can't Be Tamed" all have one.
- "SMS (Bangerz)" is a partial example.
- The Tyson Zone: Starting with Bangerz, her behavior became so out of control that nothing she does comes across as surprising anymore.
- Vocal Evolution: Her cover of "Lilac Wine" erases all of her country and raspy vibes for a way fresher voice choice.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: Bangerz is full of instances like these.
- Miley does her own rapping in "Liberty Walk" from her Can't Be Tamed album.
- Winged Humanoid: She plays one (and also a Peacock Girl) in the music video for "Can't Be Tamed".
- Word Salad Lyrics: Scattered throughout her Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz album.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Well, according to the Maxim Hot 100 in 2013.
- It's the climb