If you follow your heart
Your dreams will fly on magical wings
When you follow your heart"
A song or musical theme, often overlapping with an "I Want" Song and becoming either a Bootstrapped Theme or Music of Note, about the power of following your dreams/your heart/a star and/or making wishes. When done right, will cause even the most jaded badass to cry Manly Tears at the Awesome Music, when done wrong you will say "Tastes Like Diabetes". The Diabetes flavor will become either quickly forgotten or a pandemic level Ear Worm ("Small World" class), the Awesome Music will become as notable if not more than the work it premiered in.
See also Somewhere Song.
- "When You Wish Upon a Star" from Pinocchio. Went to being a Bootstrapped Theme for the entire Disney empire, as well as (through osmosis via Disney World commercials) Super Bowl victory. Also was sampled by John Williams in the score of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from Cinderella.
- Cinderella II: Dreams Come True has a song that bears this trope's name in its title.
- "The Second Star To The Right" from Peter Pan.
- "Sweet Dreams" and "The Land of Dreams" from the Strawberry Shortcake Sweet Dreams Movie.
- "Follow Your Heart" from Thumbelina.
- "True to Your Heart" from Mulan.
- "Follow Your Dreams" from Project A-ko
- "Wishing (Will Make It So)" from Love Affair.
- "The Rainbow Connection" from The Muppet Movie, especially the reprise at the end ("Life's like a movie/Write your own ending...").
- "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory ("Anything you want to, do it/Want to change the world?/There's nothing to it"). It became the Bootstrapped Theme for the much-adapted Charlie and the Chocolate Factory story as a whole when it was used as Climactic Music in an otherwise all-new stage musical in 2013.
- "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" is an Expository Theme Song in the verses and this in the chorus because "When you get caught between the moon and New York City/The best that you can do/The best that you can do/Is fall in love", befitting a movie in which the protagonist has to choose between an Arranged Marriage (and the inheritance that comes with it) and true love.
- "Look To The Rainbow" from Finian's Rainbow.
- "Follow Your Heart" from Plain and Fancy.
- "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha.
- "Follow Your Heart" from Urinetown is a parody/Lampshade Hanging.
- "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" from The Sound of Music.
- "Follow Your Star" from A Class Act.
- "Use Your Imagination" from Out of This World.
- "Find Your Grail" from Spamalot.
- In The Musical of Musicals: The Musical!!, the Rodgers and Hammerstein parody act has Mother Abby singing "Follow Your Dream," which disconcertingly repeats the line "until you die".
- "Follow Your Heart (And You Won't Get Lost)" by Brett Dennen.
- Pretty much every single American Idol winner song ever recorded.
- "Listen To Your Heart" by Roxette.
- "If You Loved Her" by Everything Else.
- "Heartlines" by Florence + the Machine.
- "Follow Your Heart" by Power Quest.
- "Against The Grain" by City And Colour.
- "Follow Your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves.
- "Spread Your Wings" by Robbie Williams.