Jackson Hyde is the second Aqualad, first appearing in Brightest Day #4 in August 2010. His current incarnation was reintroduced in DC Rebirth in 2016.
He's the comics counterpart of Young Justice's Kaldur'ahm. Because of the length of time it takes to produce a television series, Jackson hit the public eye before his inspiration did.
Notable AppearancesComic BooksTelevision
- Young Justice as Kaldur'ahm (2010-present)
Tropes associated with Jackson Hyde include:
- Affirmative Action Legacy: Jackson is a black, LGBT surfacer taking over as Aqualad for the heterosexual white Atlantean Garth.
- Atlantis: Where Jackson does a lot of his heroing, on account of being Aquaman's protege.
- Big Damn Kiss: His first one ever was with Ha'Wea, towards the end of Aquaman #63.
- Disappeared Dad: His father, Black Manta, is Aquaman's archnemesis.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Jackson, apparently, has this effect. Ha'Wea goes from accusing Jackson, an unbelievably suspicious outsider with a giant battle-damaged mech, of being an Atlantean spy to giving him a guided tour of the city as soon as Jackson says he's a surfacer. Inside of an hour Ha'Wea is already hitting on him.
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: In Aquaman #51 he uses his aquakinesis to make a rainbow... somehow.
- Insistent Terminology: A quick, mostly one-sided conversation has him hashing out what exactly his title should be. "Sidekick" is insulting, "ward" is creepy and we don't get to hear Jackson's opinion on "apprentice" before he introduces himself as Aquaman's assistant to a pair of Arthur's friends. When Aquaman objects, Jackson admits they're still working on it.
- Interspecies Romance: With Ha'Wea, who is Xebellian.
- Making a Splash: Jackson is aquakinetic, with fine control over water with or without his waterbearers.
- My Beloved Smother: Mom is a bit overbearing due to her son's condition, fearing that both that and him being gay will lead to him being ostracised.
- Ret-Canon: Initially looked a lot more like his Young Justice incarnation, with short blonde hair. He has sinced gained his own iconic haircut: side-parted locs dyed blond, either in part or in whole like in his Future State incarnation.
- Shock and Awe: Jackson can generate powerful electric blasts, like his Young Justice counterpart Kaldur.
- Sidekick: Specifically sought out Aquaman after his short tenure on the Teen Titans (Rebirth) and even shorter one on Young Justice (2019), first meeting Arthur in Aquaman #50.
- Straight Gay: While his 2010 incarnation had a girlfriend, Jackson is gay and has been ever since his reintroduction post-Rebirth in 2016.
- Taking Up the Mantle: In Future State he is the new Aquaman.