Miguel Ferrer (February 7, 1955 - January 19, 2017) was an American actor, the son of actor Jose Ferrer and singer Rosemary Clooney (yes, he was the cousin of George). He was known for mostly playing villains. Among his best known roles are Bob Morton in RoboCop (1987) , Shan Yu in Mulan, Dr. Garret Macy on Crossing Jordan, and Albert Rosenfield in Twin Peaks.
Ferrer died on January 19, 2017, from throat cancer at his Los Angeles home at the age of 61. After his death, his friend Peter David admitted that he named Miguel O'Hara, the Spider-Man of 2099, after him.
Role played by Miguel Ferrer
- Adventure Time: Death and Grod
- Blank Check: Carl Quigley
- Bionic Woman: Jonas Bledsoe
- Cigarettes & Coffee: Bill
- Crossing Jordan: Garret Macy
- DeepStar Six: Snyder
- Desperate Housewives: Andre Zeller
- El Tigre - El Tigre 1
- Flashpoint (1984) as Roget
- Iron Man 3: Vice President Rodriguez
- Jackie Chan Adventures: Tarakudo
- Justice League: The New Frontier: Martian Manhunter
- Mulan: Shan Yu
- Mr. Magoo: Ortega Peru
- NCIS: Los Angeles: Assistant Director Owen Granger
- The Night Flier: Richard Dees
- RoboCop (1987): Bob Morton
- The Spectacular Spider Man: Silvermane
- The Stand: Lloyd Henreid
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: Excelsior helmsman.
- Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters - Stretch Monsternote
- Superman: The Animated Series: Weather Wizard, De'Cine, Aquaman
- Teen Titans: The Judas Contract: Deathstrokenote
- ThunderCats (2011): The Duelist
- Traffic: Eduardo Ruiz
- Twin Peaks: Albert Rosenfield
- Young Justice: Vandal Savage. note
- Halo 2: Sesa 'Refumee, the Heretic Leader
Tropes associated with Miguel Ferrer:
- Badass Baritone: He had a pretty deep voice.
- The Character Died with Him: Owen Granger.
- Face of a Thug: There was a reason he mostly played villains.
- Hostility on the Set: Along with Paul Verhoeven and co-star Kurtwood Smith (Clarence Boddicker), Ferrer was annoyed Peter Weller's attempt at Method Acting during the first few weeks on RoboCop (1987) (insisting that he be called "Murphy" or "Robo", depending on the scene, while on set). Unlike Verhoeven (who told Weller he found it silly and simply refused to do it) and Smith (who just chose to ignore Weller during that time), Ferrer voiced his contempt for the idea by actively defying it and calling Weller by his real name, anyway.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He was pretty much a dead ringer for his father, Jose Ferrer.
- Playing Against Type: Despite mostly playing villains, he did also play good guys. An example of this are his guest roles in Superman: The Animated Series, where his first two roles, Weather Wizard and De'Cine, were the villains of their respective episodes, yet his last one, "A Fish Story", had him play Aquaman.
- Typecasting: A lot of his roles were villains and scumbags to varying degrees.
- Tuckerization: As noted, the lead character of Spider-Man 2099 was named after him.