Describe Kurtwood Smith, before I put my foot in your ass.
Kurtwood Larson Smith (born July 3, 1943) is an American actor best known for his roles in RoboCop (1987) as Clarence Boddicker and on That '70s Show as Red Forman. To animation fans, he's also known as the voice of General Galapagos on The Terrible Thunderlizards and Agent Bennett on The Zeta Project. As most of the aforementioned roles suggest, he frequently plays Jerkasses and villains.
He's frequently described by his co-workers on RoboCop and That 70s Show as one of the nicest people around.
Notable Roles from Kurtwood Smith:
- That '70s Show: Red Forman
- RoboCop (1987): Clarence Boddicker
- Dead Poets Society: Mr. Perry
- 12:01 PM: Myron
- The Zeta Project: Agent Bennett (replacing Joe Spano, who voiced the character in his debut on Batman Beyond)
- Star Trek:
- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory: General Stanley Cooper
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: Grim's Dad
- Childrens Hospital: Ben Hayflick
- Green Lantern: First Flight: Kanjar Ro
- 24: Senator Mayer
- Oscar: Lt. Toomey, Chicago PD
- To Die For: Earl Stone
- The Terrible Thunderlizards: General Galapagos
- Beware the Batman: Jim Gordon
- A Time to Kill: Stump Sisson, Grand Wizard of the KKK
- Resurrection: Henry Langston
- Squirrel Boy: Mr. Johnson
- Quick Change: Lombino
- Agent Carter: (Season 2) Vernon Masters
- The New Adventures of Beans Baxter: Mr. Sue
Tropes associated with Kurtwood Smith:
- Aerith and Bob: He was originally to have been christened "Kurt", but his mother thought it to be too common, so "wood" was added to the end. He believes he is the only "Kurtwood" to exist.
- Bald of Awesome: Well, balding, but also keep in mind of some the characters listed, including Red Forman.
- Romance on the Set: Dick Jones's secretary with whom Clarence Boddicker flirts in RoboCop? Joan Pirkle, Smith's wife.
- Typecasting: In several of his roles, he frequently plays arrogant characters or bad guys. He's admitted to enjoying playing villains.
- Playing Against Type: The Federation President, Henry Langston, Jim Gordon, and Shyir Rev in Green Lantern: The Animated Series were generally much nicer people than most of the other characters he's played. The latter three are also much better fathers that Red Forman and especially Mr. Perry. Hell, Jim Gordon and Shyir Rev are the polar opposite of both of Smith's most well-known characters, as in addition to being better fathers than Red, Shyir Rev and James Gordon are cops (Rev being a member of the Green Lantern Corps. and Gordon, of course, being one of the most famous cops in fiction and had a trope named after him), whereas Clarence Boddicker is a Cop Killer.
- Throw It In!: Smith was pretty fond on improvising in RoboCop (1987), including the scene Boddicker trying to outtough Sal. The part of Boddicker spitting blood onto Sgt. Reed's paperwork after Robo him brings in was also his idea.