Ushinwareta Mirai o Motomete (English Title: In search of the Lost Future) is a Visual Novel that was released in Japan in 2010. A anime series was released in Fall 2014 Anime season, with ran for 1 cour. It's available for streaming on Funimation's site.
The game is set in Uchihama Academy and with the number of new students at the school increasing every year, a new school building is constructed. Before they move to the new building, the school will hold one last General Club Festival at the old building before it is closed down. Each of the clubs decide to give it their all to make it a success. Sō Akiyama is a member of the astronomy club, and just before the festival is to begin, the student executive committee asks the club's members to calm the uneasiness among the students in regard to mysterious incidents at the old building. When Yui Furukawa, a quiet girl, transfers late into the school year and appears before Sō, the gears of fate slowly begin to move.
Ushinwareta Mirai o Motomete shows examples of:
- The Anime of the Game: Was released as part of Fall 2014 Anime season.
- Alternate Timeline: We see several in episode ten showing all of the vairous times that Yui has tried (and failed) to prevent Kaori's accident
- Arc Words: "I'll see you again tomorrow, right?"
- Arranged Marriage: Nagisa's engagement.
- Artificial Human: Yui.
- Beach Episode : It starts with the girls removing their clothes in the Hanamiya vacation house's changing room, as Yui mentally says that it's currently summer. After the opening, a scene similar to the end of episode 2 is shown. Only this time, she's wearing a different uniform, which is the school's summer uniform. After some contemplating whether she should interfere with this timeline this early; The other girls convince her to relax and have fun, which she complies. It plays just as what you'd expect in a beach episode, until it started raining and they were forced to seek shelter on a nearby abandoned research facility owned by Nagisa's great-grandmother. It started to go wrong after Sou encountered the ghost and fell asleep, while Yui seemed to have realized something. In the end, it's revealed that the 'ghost' was Nagisa's great-grandmother, back in WWII, who looks like Nagisa herself. And that in her perspective, it was Yui that was the ghost. They have a nice casual talk after Yui touches the AI Unit present(which is the one from Nagisa's great-grandmother's time). In the end, it was revealed that Uchihama academy was built by Nagisa's great-grandmother and it was because of her meeting with a young girl(Yui) that made her decide on such.
- Or it could be case a case of All Just a Dream. Or both. Probably.....
- Brain Uploading: Sou tries to do this in the future to save Kaori. It doesn't work.
- Chekhov's Gun: The science teacher's lectures serve to inspire many ideas that adult members of Astronomy club have in the future to save Kaori.
- Genius Bonus: Alot of the game's concepts especially in regards to how time travel and changing history work, are rooted in the Many Worlds Model of Quantum Mechanics.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: Astronomy Club Finds Yui. Yui tries to prevent Kaori's accident. Accident happens anyway. Kaori enters into an irreversible coma. Yui shuts down. Astronomy club enter careers in science and medicine to try and save Kaori. An artifical body is created for Kaori in order to upload her mind into a healthy brain. The attempt fails. Sou figures out that Yui was sent from the future to save Kaori. Sou remakes body made for Kaori into a second Yui. Sou finds way to send Yui back in time. Sou sends Yui back in time to save Kaori. Rinse and repeat.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite Yui's best efforts Kaori is still hit by a truck and put in a coma Episode eight of the anime.
- Love Confession: Kaori confesses her love to Sou in every timeline before the accident.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: It turns out that the "ghosts" that are being sighted all over school Are the quantum shadows left by Yuis from various other timelines that have gone back in time to prevent Kaori's accident. The more often the "Groundhog Day" Loop repeats itself, the more shadows appear and the more students are put into comas by them as a result.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Why Sou created Yui and sent her back in time.
- Ret Gone: Yui's ultimate fate when she finally succeeds.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: Everyone who knew Yui is able to remember her to some degree or another after she is Ret Gone. This is due to the influence of their memories of her in alternate timelines. This means that Sou will eventually create Yui in some point in the future in the timeline where she has succeeded in her goal, just to see her again. This is also what causes Kaori to awaken in the timeline where the accident does happen.
- Taking the OVA into account, Yui had a hand in the creation of Uchihama Academy by inspiring Nagisa's great-grandmother to become a teacher, explaining why she hasn't completely disappeared in their memories.
- Rubber-Band History: Many references are made to the "chains of fate" the tendency of timelines to want to reconcile with one another so that not matter what changes anyone makes to the details. The Broad Strokes of how history turns out is more or less the same. This makes making meaningful changes to history extremely difficult.