That's because David Kaye (born as David V. Hope on October 14, 1964 in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada) is the most well-known voice of Megatron, second in favoritism only to Frank Welker, a role he has held for a long time. He is also very well-regarded for his roles as either strong Bishōnen characters, big badasses, or confident Big Bads. He seems to be voicing a lot of robots. Despite such recognition and how long he has performed his Megatron voice, he has an exceptional range that makes it difficult to point single out any particular role as being him. Is one of the most versatile voice actors out there, not only in terms of vocal range, but just in terms of the stuff he had done, especially while he was still living in Vancouver - he started out in radio, and then did a fair amount of voicing in Western Animation, Anime, Video Games, commercials, doing theater and on-camera guest appearances etc. for a good number of years, while also occasionally travelling to Los Angeles to do some animation and video game work, before finally moving to L.A. in 2007. Now he does work for a lot of TV promos and movie trailers (one of his mentors in that field was Don LaFontaine himself!), narrates segments for HBO's Last Week Tonight, and has several regular roles on American cartoons and some video game franchises.
A running joke among the fandom is that he was also the announcer for the "Male Enhancement" commercials... we're sure the Missus is very happy with him, yeeesss!
Not to be confused with the character Tom Rooney played on This Is Wonderland, noooooo; also not to be confused with the child actor who did voices in Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, he is David A. Kaye, never to be confused with the pedophile rabbi featured on To Catch a Predator. EVER
Notable Vancouver roles by David Kaye (most from The Ocean Group):
- General Hawk in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (DiC animated series, 2nd season) (first role in animation).
- General Draconis in Exo Squad.
- Megatron in several iterations of the Transformers franchise, starting with the Beast Era, yeeesss...
- Soun Tendo in Ranma ½.
- Sesshomaru in InuYasha (not in The Final Act, where the role was voiced by Michael Daingerfield).
- Treize Khushrenada in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.
- Ancient One and Narrator in Ronin Warriors.
- Recoome in Dragon Ball Z (Ocean dub).
- Professor X/Charles Xavier and Apocalypse in X-Men: Evolution.
- Iron Man/Tony Stark in Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes.
- Iron Man in Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects.
- Jeff Bogard and Kim Kaphwan in the Fatal Fury anime specials and the movie.
- Pyron in Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge.
- Akuma in the American Street Fighter.
- ProtoMan in Mega Man NT Warrior.
- The Announcer for Kessen.
- Upton Julius and the Henchmen in Impossible Creatures.
- Hugo the Dragon in Barbie as Rapunzel.
- Cronus in Class of the Titans.
- Lear Dunham in Broken Saints.
- Iwao Takatsuki in Project ARMS.
- Batou in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OVAs.
Notable Los Angeles roles by David Kaye:
- Optimus Prime in Transformers Animated.
- And Grimlock. And Lugnut. And Cliffjumper. And Warpath.
- Hardshell in Transformers Prime.
- Hammerstrike and Slashmark in Transformers: Robots in Disguise.
- Clank in Ratchet & Clank.
- The Newsreel Narrator in Up.
- Patrick O'Hara and Narrator in G.I. Joe: Renegades.
- Ford Cruller and Linda the Hulking Lungfish in Psychonauts.
- Captain America and Nick Fury in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.
- Mysterio in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.
- Nathan Hale in the Resistance series.
- Logan Carter in Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide.
- Clay Bailey, Chase Young and F-Bot in Xiaolin Chronicles.
- Superman in DC Super Friends.
- Commissioner James Gordon in Batman: Arkham City.
- Ben 10:
- General Tandin in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Marvel Universe:
- Jedah Dohma in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
- Reginald and various others in Regular Show.
- The Narrator of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
- Duckworth in DuckTales (2017).