Corey Gregg Weinberg (born August 3, 1955), better known as Corey Burton, is an American voice actor. He began his voice career at age 17, in an imitation performance of voice actor Hans Conreid for Disney. He studied radio acting with the legendary Daws Butler for four years, and went on to work with nearly all of the original Hollywood radio actors in classic-style radio dramas. He has also done numerous cartoon series for other networks, such as Cartoon Network.
Burton is an incredibly talented mimic and has voiced sound-alikes and original characters for over 50 Disney Storyteller records or games. Burton has done extensive voice work for Disney including feature animations, theme parks, interactive sections of the company, and attractions at the Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, and Tokyo Disney Resort. In fact, regarding the Floridian resort, he was also one of two narrators in a 1990s PC application called The Walt Disney World Explorer, which was a Point-and-Click "edutainment" title that had slideshows, videos, audio descriptions and even a trivia side game that was all about Disney World. Over at the Californian resort, he provides the announcements for the Mickey and Friends Tram. He also provides the "Feature Presentation" voice on numerous Disney videos. He also overdubbed the voice of Fantasia MC Deems Taylor for the 2000 60th Anniversary Edition DVD release onwards, as Taylor's original soundtrack had deteriorated. Burton's vast Disney portfolio ensured he has become a staple voice actor for the Kingdom Hearts series; he notably became the first regular actor to play Yen Sid, the sorcerer from Fantasia, and along with other legacy characters such as Dale and Captain Hook, he took over the role of DiZ full-time starting with Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep after having subbed for Christopher Lee a few times (more on that below).
Burton is also known to audiences for his role as Brainiac in the DC Animated Universe. He appeared as Brainiac in six episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, two episodes of Static Shock, two episodes of Justice League, five episodes of Justice League Unlimited. While not part of the DCAU, he reprised this role in three episodes of Legion of Super-Heroes, as well as in the MMO DC Universe Online.
Burton is also known to Star Wars fans as the audio double for Christopher Lee as Count Dooku in Star Wars: Clone Wars and several Star Wars video games (likewise for the Kingdom Hearts series). He appeared as Ziro the Hutt and General Lothsome in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars pilot film and also appeared as Captain Mar Tuuk and Cad Bane and reprised his roles as Count Dooku, Ziro The Hutt, and General Lothsome in the series, reprising his role as Cad Bane in the character's first live-action appearance in The Book of Boba Fett. When Sir Christopher Lee was brought in to record for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars pilot film, he was so impressed with Corey's impersonation of him that he wondered why he even needed to record for the pilot film. Burton returned to the role of Dooku in a starring role years later in Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi. He even used his Lee impression for a few other roles, including Hugo Strange and another Lee character in the Marvel Universe shows, Dracula.
Also well-known to the Transformers universe as the voice of Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Brawn and Spike Witwicky in The Transformers . Almost a quarter of a century later, he reprised the role of Shockwave and Spike, as well as assuming the roles of Megatron, Ratchet, and Ironhide in Transformers: Animated. He was considered by Michael Bay to reprise his role as Shockwave for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, but Burton ultimately declined, citing a busy schedule and a general disinterest in blockbusters. note
He's also played dozens of characters on Adventures in Odyssey, his most frequent as Edwin's assistant Walter Shakespeare, and is currently one of the main voices for Robert Rodriguez's new El Rey Network.
Burton is a sound engineering enthusiast, and is an expert with microphones and recording equipment. He has Asperger Syndrome, and tends to avoid public appearances unless in a controlled environment.
His roles include:
- Ludwig Von Drake (replacing Paul Frees)
- Dale and Zipper in Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
- Gruffi Gummi and Toadwart in Adventures of the Gummi Bears (following the death of Bill Scott).
- Sigmund Brock in American Dragon: Jake Long.
- Ranger Woodlore, Captain Hook, Grumpy, Chernabog, the Horned King, Zeus, and several other characters from House of Mouse.
- Gaetan "Mole" Molière in Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Atlantis: Milo's Return.
- Onus in Treasure Planet
- Captain Hook in Return To Never Land and Jake And The Neverland Pirates (replacing Hans Conried)
- Dale, Yen Sid, Captain Hook, Sark, MCP, note Shan Yunote , Frollonote , Flotsam and Jetsamnote , and the White Rabbitnote in the Kingdom Hearts series
- DiZ in Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
- Reprises Yen Sid in the Epic Mickey franchise and for Disney Theme Parks attractions and shows.
- The Narrator in Goofy appearances (1992-present) (replacing John McLeish)
- Mr. Werks in How Things Werk (one of the mini-segments from One Saturday Morning)
- V.V. Argost and Leonidas Van Rook in The Secret Saturdays
- Zeus in Hercules: The Animated Seriesnote , God of War, and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale
- Old Queeks in Mike, Lu & Og
- Hugo Strange in Batman: Arkham City and LEGO DC Super-Villains.
- Jaga in Thundercats 2011.
- Ranger Stu in Squirrel Boy.
- The wizard Specules and the narrator in Korgoth of Barbaria.
- A few voices in Sym-Bionic Titan, such as the army commander Lance shares a swordfight with.
- King Mumbo Jumbo in ChalkZone.
- Quarrie and Eesh Fahm in Star Wars Rebels.
- Malware in Ben 10: Omniverse. He also voiced several other characters in this series, including V.V. Argost in a Role Reprise, during a crossover episode.
- General Knowledge in Cranium Command
- A judge, a cop, and a farmer in Disneyland's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
- Captain Hook and Mr. Smee in Disneyland's version of Peter Pan's Flight
- The Fish in Islands of Adventure's The Cat in the Hat
- Wilbur The Wombeast on Sofia the First
- Various characters in Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon, including: Optoc, Cragorian and Macriki crew members.
- Starlab Controller Jerry Lyden and additional roles in the sci-fi radio show Alien Worlds.
- The title character of Captain Sturdy.
- The Narrator of Machete and Machete Kills
- James Bond Jr. in James Bond Jr.
- Rotten Ralph's cousin Percy and Mr. Fred in the animated special based on the Rotten Ralph book Not-So-Rotten Ralph
- Dracula in Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H..
- Bricabrac, Footman, Goggles, and WACME Quiz Master in Toonstruck
- Volteer in The Legend of Spyro