Stana Katic (born 26 April 1978 in Hamilton, Ontario) is a Canadian-born actress of Serbian descent, who grew up on both sides of the U.S.-Canadian border and says on her official website that she is still trying to do so in L.A. Best known as Detective Kate Beckett in Castle
, before appearing in that show, she made a number of guest appearances in U.S. TV shows, a small role in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace
and a recurring role in Heroes
Tropes relating to Stana Katic's works:
- Fake American: She's Canadian who often portrays Americans, although she now holds dual citizenship.
- Fan Community Nickname: Her fans call themselves "Stanatics".
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Her name's pronounced "Stah-na", to rhyme with Madonna).
- Ms. Fanservice: Averted in her role as Beckett, where she is usually very conservatively dressed, and even her part as a Bond Girl. However, prior to Castle and Quantum of Solace, she starred in a Direct to Video movie called Stiletto that was completely made of this trope. The DVD cover was simply a picture of Stana in her Black Bra and Panties holding two guns and the tagline "Revenge never looked so good."
- Omniglot: She is fluent in English, Italian, Serbian and Croatian, as well as being able to "babble in" Greek. Oddly enough, unlike her character in Castle, she can't speak Russian.
- The Cast Showoff: She has an impressive singing voice, demonstrated in her appearance in the third The Librarian. She also does a fine rendition of Billy Joel's "Piano Man" at the close of a Castle episode.
- Scully Box: At 5'9", she's not exactly short, but since many of her Castle costars are still taller than her, Beckett frequently wears high-heeled boots that most actual cops would find cumbersome. In-universe, it's given a justification of giving her a stronger presence to intimidate suspects and get respect from co-workers.
- Star-Making Role: Castle made her a star of the small screen.