Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins (born December 31, 1937) is a Welsh-born American actor (he became a naturalized US citizen in 2000) who is best known for playing Hannibal Lecter, for which he won an Oscar, but has had a long and illustrious career most often playing refined characters with a touch of mischief. Generally considered one of the world's best actors. Has played Titus Andronicus, John Quincy Adams, Yitzhak Rabin, William Bligh, Richard Nixon, Pablo Picasso, Odin, Adolf Hitler, C. S. Lewis, Alfred Hitchcock and Burt Munro. Almost every film he's in is good, and in some cases, it's just because he's in it. He's also known for his deep, smooth voice.
Hopkins is sometimes considered a Classically Trained Extra, but he's really closer to an inversion. Once touted as the Next Big Shakespearean Actor, he deliberately chose to come to Hollywood to make loud, stupid movies because that's what he likes to do. In his own words, "I have no interest in Shakespeare and all that British nonsense... I just wanted to get famous and all the rest is hogwash." He has also admitted that what drives his choice in roles is nothing but cold, hard cash. Though one suspects that he also genuinely enjoys the roles he plays, no matter how ridiculous they are. Pay him his money, and he will show up and act. And your movie will be remembered forever for it.
Despite being known for playing one of Cinema's most famous monsters, Hopkins is known as a very sweet and friendly man who likes to be called Tony. After initially doodling on his scripts, the man has taken up painting and now has his own collection in galleries for sale, the proceeds of which go to charity. On top of this, he is also a talented composer who has written some cracking good music, which is guaranteed to get stuck in your head for the rest of the day.
He has also admitted to being a huge fan of Breaking Bad, even writing a fan letter to Bryan Cranston when he finished the series. This became Hilarious in Hindsight when he was nominated for the "Best Actor in a Drama Series" Emmy alongside Bob Odenkirk for the show's spinoff Better Call Saul.
He has appeared in:
- Bad Company
- Beowulf - King Hrothgar
- Blackway - Lester
- The Bounty - Lieutenant Bligh
- Bram Stoker's Dracula - Van Helsing
- The Bunker - Adolf Hitler
- The Edge
- The Elephant Man - Dr. Frederick Treves
- Fracture (2007)
- Freejack - Ian McCandless
- Hallmark Hall of Fame - 3 films, including The Tenth Man ('82) and Hunchback of Notre Dame ('82)
- Hearts in Atlantis
- Hitchcock - Alfred Hitchcock
- Howards End
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! - The Narrator
- The Human Stain
- Legends of the Fall
- The Lion in Winter - His first major film role.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe as Odin:
- Mission: Impossible II
- The Mask of Zorro - Don Diego de la Vega, aka the original Zorro
- Meet Joe Black
- Nixon - Richard Nixon
- Noah - Methuselah
- Red 2
- The Remains of the Day
- The Rite
- The Road to Wellville
- Shadowlands - C.S. Lewis
- The Silence of the Lambs & sequels - Hannibal Lecter
- Transformers: The Last Knight
- Victory At Entebbenote - Yitzhak Rabin
- The Wolfman
- The Worlds Fastest Indian
- Commercials for the Will Rogers Institute.Anthony Hopkins: Okey, dokey?