A CIA Agent (Rock) is killed during a mission, which forces Officer Oakes (Hopkins) to recruit the Agent's twin brother (also Rock) to complete the mission.
It was released on June 7, 2002, after being delayed due to the September 11th attacks.
Tropes for the film:
- Coup de Grâce: Agent Oakes shoots an unconscious terrorist dead for no readily discernible reason (there were like 50 CIA agents in the building, so it's unclear why they couldn't have just taken the guy prisoner). He later complains that there's no one left to interrogate after the second terrorist jumps off the roof of the hotel.
- Decoy Antagonist: Vas is built up as the main antagonist, until he gets offed by Dragan Adanic.
- Emergency Impersonation: The premise of the movie, in which a dead CIA Agent posing as a nuclear arms dealer has to be impersonated by his Separated at Birth identical twin brother.
- Footsie Under the Table: As part of an assignment of playing his dead twin brother, Jake Hayes meets up with his brother's girlfriend (played by Garcelle Beauvais), who believes he's his brother, and they have dinner together at a hotel, where she attempts to seduce him this way.
- Kidnapped by an Ally: Jake is grabbed out of bed and kidnapped as part of a training exercise. Oakes begins to tell him how, in that situation, his mental faculties shut down in a panic when Jake interrupts, saying he knew what was going on because he identified the agents, one through his breath, one because he could feel her breasts when she grabbed him, and one because he stole his wallet while they were grabbing him.
- Separated at Birth: As explained, Jake Hayes and Kevin Pope were twins born to a single mother who died giving birth to them. Typically twins would be kept together, but Jake developed a serious lung infection while he was a newborn, so doctors edited the birth certificates to allow the other twin to be adopted separately as they assumed Jake wouldn't survive.
- Weaker Twin Saves the Day: A CIA Agent dies in the middle of an important undercover operation, and the CIA call on his separated-at-birth twin brother, an immature hustler, to keep the cover identity alive.