Rolf Peter Ingvar Storm (b. August 27, 1953 in Kumla, Sweden), better-known by his stage name Peter Stormare, is a Swedish character actor with supporting roles in film, live TV and (more-recently) videogames and animated shows. Dude showed up in Nickelodeon's Ninja Turtles of all places.
Allegedly, the reason for his name change is that he shared it with an older student. He wasn't even out of school and he made sure people wouldn't go around mistaking him for someone else.
He began his acting career with the Swedish Royal Dramatic Theatre, before his apparent discovery by Ingmar Bergman.
He made his name playing one of the Stupid Crooks in Fargo. Americans may also recognize him as one of the dino-hunters in Jurassic Park 2. Apart from that, this guy always gets typecast as Russian or Ukrainians.
Oddly, the smaller the role, the more memorable his characters tend to be. Peter Stormare (a devout Christian in real-life) is one of the best depictions of Satan in cinema....and it's in Constantine? (Implying that Keanu Reeves and Shia LaBeouf didn't turn in powerhouse performances.) He literally shows up in the last 10 minutes and steals the movie. Easily one of his best; maybe the best.
A recent automotive ad campaign featured him as a German pseudo-hip hop artist/"engineer" answering to V-Dub, whose shtick was violently un-pimping ze autos by smashing them to scrap and giving their owners Volkswagens.
Notable acting roles:
- 1982 FannyAndAlexander as an extra
- 1990 Awakenings as Neurochemist
- 1996 Fargo as Gaer Grimsrud
- 1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park as Dieter Stark
- 1998 Armageddon as Lev Andropov
- 1998 The Big Lebowski as Uli Kunkel / Karl Hungus
- 1999 Purgatory as Cavin Guthrie
- 1999 8mm as Dino Velvet
- 2000 Bruiser as Milo Styles
- 2000 Chocolat as Serge Muscat
- 2000 Dancer in the Dark as Jeff
- 2002 Minority Report as Dr. Solomon Eddie
- 2002 Windtalkers as Gunnery Sergeant Hjelmstad
- 2002 The Tuxedo as Dr. Simms
- 2002 Bad Company as Adrik Vas
- 2003 Bad Boys II as Alexei
- 2005 The Batman vs. Dracula as Dracula
- 2005 The Brothers Grimm as Cavaldi
- 2005 Constantine as Lucifer
- 2006 Nacho Libre as Emperor
- 2006 Unknown as Snakeskin Boots
- 2007 Premonition as Dr. Roth
- 2007 Switch as Tommen
- 2009 Horsemen as David Spitz
- 2009 The Killing Room as Dr. Phillips
- 2009 The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus as The President
- 2011 Marianne as Sven
- 2012 Lockout as Scott Langral
- 2012 Get the Gringo as Frank Fowler
- 2012 Tai Chi Hero as Duke Fleming
- 2013 Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters as Sheriff Berringer
- 2013 The Last Stand as Thomas Burrell
- 2013 The Zero Theorem as Doctor
- 2013 Pain and Gain as Dr. Bjornson
- 2014 22 Jump Street as Ghost
- 2014 Rage as O'Connell
- 2014 Penguins of Madagascar as Corporal
- 2014 Clown as Herbert Karlsson
- 2017 John Wick: Chapter 2 as Abram
- 1998 Seinfeld as Slippery Pete
- 2003 Hitler: The Rise of Evil as Ernst Roehm
- 2005 Prison Break as John Abruzzi
- 2008 Transformers Animated as Meltdown
- 2009 Entourage as Aaron Cohen
- 2010 Weeds as Chef
- 2010 Adventure Time as Sir Slicer
- 2014 The Blacklist as Milos Kirchoff A.K.A. Berlin
- 2014 Arrow as Werner Zytle / Count Vertigo
- 2014 Longmire as Chance Gilbert
- 2015 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) as Lord Dregg
- 2017 American Gods (2017) as Czernobog
- 2018 Castlevania (2017) as Godbrand
- 2002 Icewind Dale II as Isair
- 2005 Quake IV as Pvt. Johann Strauss
- 2005 Mercenaries as Mattias Nilsson
- 2008 Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 as Dr. Gregor Zelinsky
- 2012 The Secret World as Dr. Aldini, Huiginn, Muninn
- 2013 Call of Duty Black Ops II as The Replacer
- 2014 The Elder Scrolls Online as Jorunn the Skald King
- 2014 Destiny as Dead Orbit Faction Leader
- 2015 LEGO Jurassic World as Dieter Stark
- 2015 Until Dawn as Dr. A.J. Hill
Tropes associated with him:
- Awesome Mc Coolname: He was born with one of these, and his current one, although a slight variation, is no less awesome.
- Bilingual Bonus: Sometimes speaks and/or swears in Swedish in some of his non-Swedish movies, most prominent in Minority Report and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
- Chronically Killed Actor: Due to his tendency to play villains, his characters wind up dead.
- Fake Nationality: His nack for foreign accents has allowed him to be cast as a variety of nationalities, mostly East European. Even in Sweden he was not allowed to use his real accent for a role until Varg in 2008. Nowadays, he only accepts Swedish roles where he is allowed to use his real northern Swedish accent.
- He played an Italian Mafia boss in Prison Break. Not that his accent was much of a clue.
- He un-pimped many autos portraying a German engineer with a fake German accent butchering rapper lingo in a Volkswagen ad campaign for the Golf GTI.
- The German nihilist in The Big Lebowski.
- And of course the Russian astronaut in Armageddon.
- Husky Russkie: Seems to end up playing one of these fairly often. Still Fake Nationality.
- Large Ham: He acts in a very over the top fashion, and it usually makes the characters he plays much creepier for it, as they seem like they're genuinely insane. Inverted in Fargo (not detracting in the slightest from the creepy part, though).
- Manly Tears: Caused some headlines in Sweden when he was the only man to openly cry at Ingmar Bergman's funeral.
- Plays Great Ethnics: The Trope Codifier. He's frequently cast as vaguely European types due to his ambiguous accents.
- Stage Names: Arguably one of the few actors whose real name (Rolf Ingvar Storm) is cooler than his stage name.
- Star-Making Role: Gaear Grimsrud.
- The Stoic: Many of his roles, most notably his Star-Making Role as the terrifyingly emotionless Gaear Grimsrud.