A 1991 comedy written and directed by Blake Edwards.
Steve Brooks (Perry King), a promiscuous and sexist man, is murdered by his ex-lovers. He is offered acceptance into Heaven only if he finds a woman who truly likes him and is sent back among the living in order to accomplish this. However, the Devil (Bruce Payne) suggests a complication to teach Steve a lesson and prevent him from easily seducing a woman, and turns him into a beautiful blonde woman (Ellen Barkin).
The film's trailer is infamous for the bit where the film's title is said, followed by a different voice quickly adding "Jimmy Smits" without even a "starring" or "featuring" beforehand.
Not to be confused with The Switch.
This film provides examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: Pretty much any man Amanda meets lusts after her.
- Babies Ever After: Amanda dies leaving a baby behind.
- Back from the Dead: Steve Brooks is resurrected with a time limit to find one woman who genuinely likes him. To complicate matters a bit and teach him a lesson, he's turned into a woman.
- Bar Brawl: A brawl erupts at the bar Amanda and Sheila go to.
- Bittersweet Ending: Steve/Amanda dies giving birth to her daughter, but her soul earns her access to Heaven. She has now all eternity to decide whether she will be a man or a woman in Heaven.
- Blessed with Suck: Being a gorgeous blonde woman has its advantages, but when All Men Are Perverts...
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Steve's three exes, Liz, Felicia and Margo, fit that hair color pattern.
- The Casanova: Steve Brooks, during his life. He took full advantage of the skill and treated most women he knew like crap.
- Deal with the Devil: The Devil is the most involved in Steve's post-mortem deal.
- Death by Childbirth: Amanda gives birth, and dies without rational explanation. It was time for her/Steve to go, since someone (the baby) eventually and genuinely liked him/her.
- Devil in Disguise: The Devil (Bruce Payne) comes on Earth in human form.
- Died Happily Ever After: In Heaven, Amanda is very much happy to have given birth to a baby and watch her grow.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Just about every man that looks at Amanda.
- Dude Magnet: Amanda.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Amanda.
- Fetus Terrible: What the Devil suggests to a horrified Amanda at one point.
- Gender Bender: On the Devil's advice, God makes Steve return to the world as a woman so that he can't use his Casanova wiles to cheat his way into heaven.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: What Amanda initially thinks when she and Sheila are doing it, before coming back to Steve's somewhat homophobic point of view.
- Grave-Marking Scene: Walter visits Amanda's grave with their daughter at the end]].
- Honey Trap: Poor Steve who imagined a foursome with his exes, only to get killed by them.
- Jerkass Has a Point: The Devil, asserting his equal claim to Steve's soul, getting God to turn Steve into a woman for the duration of his test. Sure he's only looking out for his own interests, but he is right that Steve probably would have done what he's always done to women or even just written the whole thing off as a bad dream.
- Karma Houdini: Steve's three ex-lovers get away scott-free.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Sheila Faxton is certainly not the "butch" type.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Amanda and Walter. Even though Walter is not really a feminine guy, Amanda outmatches him in "manly" behaviour, being Steve in the body of a woman.
- Mood Whiplash: While the movie is mostly comedic in tone, the Devil's visit to Amanda and her death are really not played for laughs.
- One-Word Title: As a reference to the Gender Bender that underlies the plot.
- Orgy of Evidence: Margo Brofman (JoBeth Williams), one of Steve's exes and murderer, leaves the gun with which she killed him in his apartment to frame Amanda for the murder.
- Screaming Birth: Amanda gives birth screaming.
- Tomboy: Amanda, of course. Just put the mind of a manly womanizer into a woman's body, and see what happens. Although she doesn't dress or fashion her hair like a man, she's still very much Steve inside.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Amanda takes advantage of this during the bar brawl.