John M. Slattery, Jr. (born August 13, 1962) is an American actor and director.
Outside of television, Slattery is recognizable for playing Howard Stark (father to Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man) in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, first appearing in 2010's Iron Man 2 and following that appearance up with cameos in 2015's Ant-Man and 2016's Captain America: Civil War. Each of his appearances to date have been posthumous in the franchise's timeline; Dominic Cooper plays a younger iteration of his character in 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger and ABC's Agent Carter.
- Ed (2001 — 2002) as Dennis Martino
- Jack & Bobby (2004 — 2006) as Peter Benedict
- Desperate Housewives (2007) as Victor Lang
- Charlie Wilson's War (2007) as Cravely
- Underdog (2007) as the Mayor of Capital City
- Mad Men (2007 — 2015) as Roger Sterling note
- Marvel Cinematic Universe as Howard Stark:
- The Adjustment Bureau (2011) as Richardson
- Dishonored (2012) as Admiral Havelock (voice)
- Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (2015) as Claude Dumet
- Ted 2 (2015) as Shep Wild
- Spotlight (2015) as Ben Bradlee Jr.
- Veep (2016) as Charlie Baird
- Churchill (2017) as Dwight D. Eisenhower
John Slattery provides examples of the following tropes:
- Silver Fox: Perhaps one of the trope's more notable codifiers; he's one of the men featured on that page's image!
- Time-Shifted Actor: Dominic Cooper plays a younger iteration of his character, Howard Stark, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.