An independent Canadian film starring Anthony Hopkins.
Lillian (Julia Stiles) has just moved back into her small town home from Seattle following the death of her mother. No less than a week after her return an ominous man named Blackway (Ray Liotta) begins watching her outside her house and murders her cat. The town Sheriff, too afraid of Blackway to deal with him, suggests Lillian recruit some local loggers to deal with Blackway. When she does this, the only people willing to help are an elderly logger named Lester (Anthony Hopkins) and his hanger-on Nate (Alexander Ludwig). Together the trio set off to find Blackway and bring him to justice.
Blackway contains examples of:
- Agony of the Feet: Nate shoots one of Blackway's drug associates in the foot while he and Lester are interrogating him on Blackway's whereabouts.
- Antagonist Title: Blackway is the villain of the film.
- Apathetic Citizens: The residents of the town are for the most part unwilling to help Lillian. Not because they don't care, but because they are all terrified of Blackway.
- Attempted Rape: Blackway attempted to rape Lillian before stalking her and killing her cat.
- Black Shirt: Many citizens, while not directly working for Blackway, are willing to protect him.
- Corrupt Cop: Blackway was one. Out of fear, the current Sheriff is protecting Blackway, making him one as well.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Scotty once tried to do something about Blackway. Blackway beat him within an inch of his life.
- Dead Animal Warning: After he starts stalking Laura, Blackway murders her cat.
- Driven to Suicide: Lester's daughter killed herself. It's implied Blackway had a hand in it.
- Entitled to Have You: The reason Blackway begins stalking Lillian is because she refused his advances after he tipped her at the bar she worked at.
- Evil Is Petty: Lester's reason for wanting Blackway dead is that Blackway harassed him about being a bad parent the night of his daughter's funeral for no reason except to be a jerk.
- Fingore: Lester snaps back a resident's fingers after he attacks Nate.
- Hookers and Blow: Blackway deals in prostitution and drugs alike.
- Just Desserts: The trio leave Blackway's body to get eaten by animals in the forest.
- Kick the Dog: Blackway murders Lillian's cat for no other reason except to upset her.
- Necessarily Evil: Lester's decides to kill Blackway because "someone has to do it".
- Only a Flesh Wound: Lester is shot in the shoulder but is only incapacitated for a few minutes and afterwards is well enough to both operate a shotgun and go home afterwards with no stop for medical attention.
- Police Are Useless: Even the cops are too afraid of Blackway to do anything about him, much to Lillian's chagrin. At one point, Blackway was a cop.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Nate is the hot-tempered red to Lester's cool and calculating blue.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Lester's choice of weapon is an antique shotgun. Nate muses whether it will actually fire due to its age. It does.
- Would Hurt a Child: Blackway stopped Fitzgerald from going to the police after Blackway scammed him out of money by breaking in and threatening to choke his daughter in front of him and his wife.