Gary Owens (born Gary Bernard Altman; May 10, 1934 – February 12, 2015) was a disk jockey and voice actor known for his deadpan, baritone voice, his The Comically Serious roles, his habit of cupping his hand to his ear while announcingnote , and his Catch Phrases "Beautiful downtown Burbank", "This is Gary Owens, friend of those who want no friends, going places and losing things.", and "Hello, and also hi; but not necessarily in that order." To an extent, another catchphrase was "Bring me chopper backup!"
He was a gifted punster with a fondness for Word-Salad Humor, which his earnest deadpan delivery made even more hilarious. He often threw a Perfectly Cromulent Word into his radio announcing, dropping such phrases as "We'll be back in just a krenellemuffin" and "I'd like to thank my engineer, Wayne Doo, for creebling at the turntables." Despite his ability to navigate any amount of silliness with a straight face, he was caught at least once in a famous example of Corpsing, breaking up into hysterics upon realizing that the sponsor of the ad he was reading was a hemorrhoid cream.
His sons Christopher Dane Owens and Scott Owens are a movie producer and production manager respectively.
He passed away at age 80 from complications involving Type 1 Diabetes, which he had first been diagnosed with at age 8.
- Batman: Radio announcer, T.V. announcer
- Batman: The Animated Series: 1950's Batman
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Space Ghost
- Dexter's Laboratory: Blue Falcon
- Dynomutt Dog Wonder: Blue Falcon
- The Green Hornet: Newscaster
- Johnny Bravo: Blue Falcon
- Laff-A-Lympics: Blue Falcon
- The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: The Narrator
- Raw Toonage: Badly Animated Man
- The Ren & Stimpy Show: Powdered Toast Man
- Roger Ramjet: Roger Ramjet
- Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In: The Announcer
- Space Ghost: Space Ghost
- Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers: Narrator
- Space Quest VI: Roger Wilco in The Spinal Frontier: Narrator
- Space Stars: Space Ghost
- Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends: Namor
- SWAT Kats: Commander Ulysses Feral
- That '70s Show: Announcer
- Yogi's Space Race: The Announcer