Joseph Jason Namakaeha Momoa (born August 1, 1979 in Honolulu, Hawaii) is an American actor, model, director, writer, and producer.
He's known for playing a lot of warrior types such as Khal Drogo of Game of Thrones, Ronon Dex of Stargate Atlantis and Conan the Barbarian. He struggled for a while until he was chosen by Zack Snyder to play Aquaman in the DC Extended Universe, and his 2018 solo movie (the highest grossing of that franchise) as the character made him a bankable star.
Momoa's also been getting more into the indie flick scene, directing, writing, and sometimes costarring beside his wife, actress Lisa Bonet (who's been his Celebrity Crush since he was a kid), who played Denise Huxtable Kendall in The Cosby Show. Bonet is also the mother of Zoë Kravitz, making Momoa her stepfather. Momoa and Bonet also have a son and daughter together.
- Baywatch: Hawaii (1999-2001) as Jason Ioane
- Stargate Atlantis (2005-2009) as Ronon Dex
- Game of Thrones (2011) as Khal Drogo
- Conan the Barbarian (2011) as Conan
- Bullet to the Head (2012) as Keegan
- Wolves as Connor Slaughter
- DC Extended Universe as Arthur Curry / Aquaman
- Frontier (2016 — onward) as Declan Harp
- The Bad Batch (2017) as Miami Man
- Braven (2018) as Joe Braven
- The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) as Arthur Curry / Aquaman (voice)
- See (2019) as Baba Voss
- Sweet Girl (2021) as Raymond "Ray" Cooper
- Dune (2021) as Duncan Idaho
- Little Nemo
His works provide examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: He's of Native Hawaiian, German, Irish, and Native American descent. He only ever played a Hawaiian in Baywatch: Hawaii and his most famous roles since have been as a Human Alien (Ronon), fictional-race human (Conan, Drogo) and half-human, half-fictional race (Aquaman, who is half-Atlantean, half-American, with his father being played by Māori actor Temuera Morrison so at least he got to be part-Polynesian).
- Badass Beard: Sports one for his best known roles such as Ronon Dex, Khal Drogo, Aquaman and Declan Harp, and they all kick plenty of ass.
- Barbarian Hero: He played some characters who have a lot of barbarian grit to them, like Khal Drogo and Conan.
- Barbarian Longhair: Probably the most famous example today now that Chris Hemsworth dons a shorter haircut. Not to mention a picture of his character from Conan the Barbarian braces the main page.
- Clark Kent Outfit: An advertisement for Rocket Mortgage shows that at home, he turns into the inversion of this by taking off all of his muscles to reveal he's really scrawny underneath all of his muscles and that his long hair is just a wig and he's balding. The commercial ends with him being so wimpy he can barely even lift an empty barbell without his personal trainer to spot him.
- The Big Guy: He's 64 and hugely muscular. Most roles he plays tend to draw attention to his size.
- The Danza: As Jason Ioane in Baywatch: Hawaii, his first major role.
- Death Glare: His stare can be pretty intense, which along with the Badass Beard helps a lot with some of the aforementioned Barbarian Hero roles.
- Face on the Cover: He's been essentially all of the advertising for the Discovery Canada/Netflix series Frontier and is given top billing even though the character Declan Harp is more a supporting leader and mentor to real main character Michael Smythe. Ditto for See on Apple+.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a scar on his eyebrow due to a Bar Brawl. It helps with the types of characters he usually plays.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: He's head and shoulders above his real wife Lisa Bonet, and thanks to his massive size, most of his acting partners end up looking small next to him.
- Mr. Fanservice: Several of his known roles showed his fabulous abs. His role as Aquaman seems to be extremely popular with the ladies.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Literally. He wore a pink Lounge Lizard style suit to the 2019 Oscars, and he made it work.
- Star-Making Role:
- Despite Conan the Barbarian underperforming, Game of Thrones did more than enough to blow his name up, though he struggled financially for a while afterwards. Eventually, playing Aquaman gave his career a decisive popularity boost.
- His time on Stargate Atlantis didn't hurt either, given his character Ronon Dex's popularity.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Definitely.
- Typecasting: And Tropes Are Not Bad! When he's in a supporting role, they all seem to become Ensemble Darkhorses. And his portrayal of Conan was appreciated by fans of the original books and comics for at least capturing the character better, though his film didn't displace Arnold Schwarzenegger's in pop culture.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He has bare-chested scenes in most of the above-listed roles.
- What Could Have Been:
- He was set to star in the remake of The Crow, then left the project in mid-2018 along with director Corin Hardy.
- He was offered the role of Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of the Galaxy before Dave Bautista was cast, but turned it down due to fears of being typecast in brutish action roles.
- As mentioned when he hosted the show in 2018, there was a time in Jason Momoa's life where he wanted to audition to be a cast member on Saturday Night Live.