open/close all folders
- In the pilot episodes the ninja first use the Tornado of Creation and end up creating a Ferris wheel with the skeletons caged in the gondolas. Nuckal inexplicably has a cone of cotton candy, then Kruncha knocks it out of his hand prompting him to let out a depressed "Aww".
- Another Nuckal and Kruncha moment near the beginning: At the skeletons' strip mining site Nuckal finds a ring-shaped rock and thinks it looks like a donut, then tries to take a bite out of it to see if it tastes like one. It doesn't.
- After Sensei Wu tells the ninja about the golden weapons, Kai reminds him about his sister. The response from Jay is priceless.Jay: We're saving a girl? Is she hot?
Jay: I just want to know what we're getting ourselves into. (To Kai) Does she like blue?
Kai: (Death glare) Back off!
Season 1: Rise of the Snakes
- Sensei kicking a slice of pizza away from Cole.Sensei: No pizza for you!
- In "Home" the ninja flashback to times where Zane acted "weird". In Cole's example, he walked in on Cole on the toilet and mindlessly combed his hair, in Jay's: Jay, Nya, and Zane are watching a movie where a couple break up and Jay and Nya are weeping but Zane laughs like a maniac . In Kai's flashback, Kai is walking to the refrigerator for a late snack. The note Zane leaves is hilarious, "I'm sorry, I've consumed the last of the deli meat...cheese?"
- In some versions, Zane is actually STANDING IN the refrigerator eating a sandwich.
- In Snakebit Jay's parents were embarrassing Jay through their visit and reveal some of his secrets.Sensei: Now that they have left, perhaps Jay can teach us the art of kissing pillows.
- Zane freaking out over his Green Ninja dream and wondering if he's still dreaming until Cole smacks him in the face with a pillow.Cole: Did that feel like a dream?
Zane: *deadpan* No. Thank you for your help.
- During the part of "Can of Worms" where Kai gets inflicted with Venomari spit he sees the Venomari and Constrictai as elves and gingerbread men.
- Look! A magic flying rope! We can climb to safety!
- When they're saved by Samurai X, he mistakes her for Santa Claus.
- Look at Sensei's beard! It's moving like snakes! *sticks a dumpling to his cheek*
- In "Tick Tock", Zane discovers why his sense of humor is so dry: he's an android (Nindroid?), and his humor switch is turned off. Turning it on results in a singing, dancing Zane, complete with Michigan J. Frog impression.
- In "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", Zane accidentally freezes himself, Cole, and Kai in a giant block of ice. His response? "Oops."
- On another note, Jay's somewhat dumbfounded face after Nya kisses him can be this.
- Jay trying to the tell the guys the moral of the story in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and getting shot down by Cole:Jay: No matter if you're a snake or a samurai, it's important to be yourself—
Cole: Yeah, that's cute.
- "The Green Ninja" is chock full of funny:
- Garmadon moves in with the ninjas after a HeelFace Turn / Enemy Mine. He has an interesting lifestyle to say the least, like sunbathing in a thunder storm and filing his teeth with a black dagger. He even refers to Kai as "Mr. Snoopy Pants" at one point (made funnier by him wearing a purple four-armed robe when he says it).
- When Garmadon and Lloyd are reunited, we get this exchange.Lloyd: Dad, why do you have four arms?
- This gets brought back again in "Wrong Place, Wrong Time".Past!Lord Garmadon: Why do you- I have four arms?
- This gets brought back again in "Wrong Place, Wrong Time".
- This short exchange:"What's he eating?"
"Condensed evil, it's supposed to be low in fat."
- This part of a conversation in "All of Nothing":Snake: I'd start preparing for the worst, for when the Great Devourer is awakened there will be nothing it won't consume!
Zane: Won't that mean it'll consume you too?
Snake: (beat) Please, you have to stop him. That snake is crazy! I don't wanna unleash the Great Devourer, I'm a snake, not food!
- You know what Sensei Wu thinks? SHOTGUN!!!
- After a failed escape attempt and being constricted even further:Cole: Great, we're in such a better place than we were before!
Zane: And now we can't even play checkers.
Jay: I was going to be kinged, Kai!
- Jay freaking out throughout the beginning of "Day of the Great Devourer":
- We are so hooped!
- Jay: Let me make a note of that. Giant snake has itty-bitty weak spot that will be TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AT BECAUSE THE THING IS TOO RIDICULOUSLY HUGE TO DO ANYTHING TO STOP IT!
- He also suggests they hide in the Serpentine tombs until the Devourer crisis blows over, stating they'll be without sunlight for months but at least they'll be safe.
- The newscaster during "Day of the Devourer," "People are advised to run away waving their arms in panic and screaming like little children!"
Season 2: Legacy of the Green Ninja
- In Darkness Shall Rise, the ninja are completely exhausted after their day jobs:Cole: My feet! I can't feel my feet!Kai: There were so many... and they wouldn't stop.Zane: *while oiling his arm* My gears locked up several times. I didnt even know my gears could lock up.Jay: I dont even have enough energy to play video games.
- In "Pirates vs. Ninja" when the ninja ask how they're going to get around Ninjago City without their vehicles Sensei Wu offers them something he claims will allow them to get around better. They assume it will do something like conjure a portal, but when Cole examines the device it turns out to just be a bus token.
- Dareth. That is all.
- All of the gags that had to do with No-Eyed Pete and his seeing eye parrot.Parrot: Left! No, your other left!
- Lets not forget that Garmadon doesnt understand how to use his new Mega Weapon. For example: him begging the Mega Weapon to work while chasing the Ultimate Dragon.Lord Garmadon: I told you fools, they're UNSPEAKABLE!
- In "Double Trouble", Lord Garmadon and the Serpentine are trying to devise a new plan to defeat the ninja. A Constrictai suggests they get more pirates and gets thrown off the Black Bounty. A Venomari suggests they recreate the Great Devourer and is also thrown overboard, leading Garmadon to point out that they shouldn't suggest ideas that have already failed. A Hypnobrai suggests making a giant sandwich. When Garmadon asks if it would be a poison sandwich, the snake hopes not because he is hungry. And when another snake brings it up later, Garmadon throws him overboard as well.
- Throughout the episode, Cole is obsessed with cake.
- Turns out that Zane isn't just a Ridiculously Human Robot, he's also a Do-Anything Robot. He's used as a battering ram and his head lights up. Who knew?
- When the teachers and ninja are locked in a room, they try to find a lever that'll let them out. The first lever they pull makes the room compact ala A New Hope trash compactor. The second lever not only doesn't stop the shrinking, it adds spikes to the ceiling.
- When Cole's dad is eliminated from the race in "Ninjaball Run".
- When Garmadon wants to lighten the Dark Bounty's load, he tells the Serpentine to throw off any excess weight. One unlucky snake asks what to throw off. Cue shot to that same snake flailing as he's tossed off the ship, tumbles through the air, and lands in the ocean.
- From "Child's Play", after the Ninja are turned into kids, they have a predictable reaction: they start screaming.Kid!Cole: Aw, but I can't be a kid again! I hated being a kid! You can't drive, nobody listens to you... *gasps* Oh no... BEDTIMES!
Kid!Zane: Ive extended my logic parameters, but nothing is coming up. This does not compute! *face begins to spark*
- Zane was also turned into a kid, despite being a Nindroid!
- Jay's over the top cry of "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!" upon seeing the Stone Samurai in episode 20.
- Three words: "Rock, paper, clamp."
- Skales' Big "NO!" after the Serpentine are sealed in the Stone Army's storage chamber is broken up by him coughing.
- In the beginning of "The Island of Darkness", Lloyd learns that he'll become the ultimate spinjitzu master. He responds by laughing and mocking the four ninja with "Jealous?" Afterwards, Lloyd is forced out of a mission to prevent from facing his father prematurely. Jay responds with "Jealous" the same way Lloyd did just a moment ago, laugh included.
- After the ninja regain their powers in "The Island of Darkness", they proceed to kick some Stone Army butt...except Cole, who decides to start dancing on their heads once he traps them in dirt.Cole: Hee, hee!
- Jay and his lack of vocab: "Bequeath, bequeath, bequeath!"
- When Garmadon is about to use the Garmatron to launch a dark matter bomb at Ninjago City, the ninja stuff General Kozu into the missile silo instead. He ends up getting launched through the window of Dareth's dojo, where his students promptly beat him up.
- When the ninja get to evil Ninjago and see it's been taken over, Cole gleefully talks about how he can't wait to see the look on the Overlord's face when he sees they're there. Cue the ninja getting shot at by a gun that shoots pure darkness.Zane: Is that the look you were hoping for?
Jay: Zane! *Beat* No...
- "That is not a coconut!"
- When Cole gets his elemental blade and suit, he does a moonwalk. He's Mi-Cole Jackson!
- Jay dressing up as a woman and lying down in front of a train to fool the Samurai into saving him in order to discover "his" identity in "The Snake King."
- From the same episode, Sensei getting excited over a Ferris wheel.
- When Garmadon is confronted with a warm-up period from the Ultimate Weapon,Garmadon: YOU COULD HAVE WARNED ME THERE WAS A WARM-UP!Overlord: *flatly* How could I? You were monologuing.
Season 3: Rebooted
- From a sneak preview of the next season, we see that the technology of New Ninjago City... doesn't really like the Ninjas.
- Kai getting his foot stuck in an automatic door.
- P.I.X.A.L. Asking what Zane's name stands for. He doesn't get it at first and says he stands for honor and other things till Cole points her real question out to him.
- From "The Art of the Silent Fist":(after unveiling Nya's Cool Car)Garmadon: Why must everything have so many weapons?Lloyd: Says the man who once had four arms to possess the Golden Weapons.Garmadon: (chuckles a little) I deserve that.
- And then Garmadon lets out something like a YEE-HAW when jumping across a chasm in said car.
- "Aw, great, now they come in fun size!"
- Jay and Cole arguing like little kids when they find out about the matchmaker machine.
- BAD NINDROID!! BAD NINDROID!!
- Echoed later in the same episode with "BAD SENSEI".
- And let's not forget "BAD GLOWY!"
- Echoed later in the same episode with "BAD SENSEI".
- Dareth saving the students is part this, part awesome.
- A guard in the Ninjago Aquarium goes for the alarm to alert of an intruder. Upon realizing it won't actually sound without any electricity, he resorts to just screaming "ALARM!"
- If you don't think about the scenario, Pythor's scratchy voice when he shows up in season 3 can become this.
- Nya's date with Cole and Jay in "Codename: Arcturus". After it, they say she promised to tell them who she would choose as her boyfriend and she chooses... a random robot working at the theatre, claims it has all the best parts of both of them, and names it Jole.
- Kai's attempts at flirting with a random girl in "Codename: Arcturus". It does not end well.
Season 4:Tournament of Elements
- This exchange:Garmadon: I swore I would never come back to this place.Jay: You shouldn't swear. It's a sign of poor verbal skills.
- In "Only One Can Remain", When Jay is relaxing in his room's hot tub, Bolobo appears when the tournament starts, and soon the two are fighting over a Jade Blade. During this time, when Bolobo gets a Jade Blade from Jay's bathroom ceiling, Jay takes off his towel to slap Bolobo in his rear and take the Jade Blade from him.
- In "Versus", Nya is explaining to Wu her dilemma of trying to choose between Cole and Jay. Wu has fallen asleep.
Sensei Wu: No way. I'm not sticking my fingers into that beehive.
- Later when she asks him for some advice on the matter:
- Chen is just walking humor when he wants to be. Most notable are how he delivers some of his lines.
- Jay's reaction to Garmadon becoming a half-Anacondrai from Chen's transformation spell:Jay: First it was four arms, then you were a dragon. Would you mind picking a body and sticking with it, please?
- Garmadon and Lloyd teasing Pythor mercilessly because of his shrunken size when they go to him seeking advice on how to defeat Chen and his followers in their transformed state. One joke in particular was a complete slip of the tongue on Pythor's part, causing Pythor to admit he stepped right into it.
Season 5: Possession
- Misako insists that Wu tells Nya about her parents, which the former argues against doing so because she is not ready. He finally concedes and tells her that since Kai inherited his father's traits to become the Master of Fire, Nya will become the Master of Water. Nya reacts accordingly by fainting.Misako: Huh. You're right. She wasn't ready.
- In "Stiix and Stones", Kai accidentally damages Zane's voice processor, causing him to talk backwards. In "The House on Haunted Hill" Jay has fixed him but his voice is now stuck at a high volume, and in "Peak-a-Boo" Jay has tweaked him to talk like a pirate.
- "Ghoul Tar never talk! Oop—Ghoul Tar talked. Er
Ghoul Tar not talk from now on!"
- Later, Sensei Wu and the others try to get Ghoul Tar to talk with food.
- Even later in the same episode, it turns out that Ghoul Tar's eating food was weighing down Morro's group
- Apparently one of the ghosts' weaknesses is... compulsively dancing whenever they hear the Ghostbusters theme.
- Ronin spoiling their moment of celebration at the end of "Kingdom Come" by asking if any of them actually know where the First Spinjitzu Master's tomb is.Ronin: Oh come on, you all seem so confident!Nya: Ugh! You ruin everything!
- When Lloyd is taken into the Cursed Realm, he runs past Chen and Clouse, who are trapped in cages. Clouse is trying to saw through the bars.
- During the last battle between Morro and Lloyd, they go tumbling through dimensions. They eventually emerge in Chima.Laval: Hey, where'd you guys come from?
Season 6: Skybound
- Zane, upon hearing they are wanted, calls the police on himself. He justifies it by saying he was programmed to obey the law.
- "What do you want? More power? More prestige?... Maybe a ray gun that works?"
- Jay preparing to enter the nest of the Tiger Widow Spider in 'A Wish and a Prayer'.Cole: What are you waiting for?Jay (sarcastically): Well, I'm sorry if I'm not jumping down there right this instant! Do you see what I see? Of course not! Because all I see is my life flashing before me!(beat)Nya: Now are you ready?Jay: Whatever happened to sticking together? What if Nakadahn persuades me to say my final wish? Any number of bad things could easily happen to me alone down there!
- Cole and Nya doing Jay impressions while trapped on the island with the Tiger Widow spider.
- When Nya, Cole, and Lloyd infiltrate Nadakahn's crew, Lloyd is cast as "Mutt the Mute" because he can't do a convincing pirate accent. He ends up speaking in front of Clancy and weakly declares it a miracle.
- Nya: They say you were born with no tongue. But look at that. There it is.
- Two pirates are watching Jay and his group make plans. One claims he can read lips and starts saying Non Sequitors. The other grows frustrated and claims they can read lips better... and also says non sequitors. Cut to Jay who is saying all of this nonsense in an attempt to throw off spies.
- As a bonus, one of the words is bequeath!
Day of the Departed
- When Chen is brought back from the dead in Day of the Departed, he wonders how he was revived... then almost immediately turns his attention to all the buttons on his throne. He eventually loses control of his chair and crashes offscreen.
- If one pays close attention to Chen's entire appearance, he never leaves his throne throughout the entire special—quite literally Orcus on His Throne!
Season 7: The Hands of Time
- Acronix's obsession with his all the new tech he missed out on in his 40-year-absence. He even posts on social media about his evil victories.
- In "The Attack", When Cole, Jay, and Zane are playing around with one of the Time Blade they acquired, Cole accidentally tears apart Jay's stuffed animal, "Mr. Cuddlywump", causing Jay to shriek in terror, then cover up his sadness by saying this:Jay: (Sadly) Mr. Cuddlywump...! (Normal) ...Is a teddy bear that I used to love when I was 5, but now he's totally lame and-Cole: We know you still sleep with him.Jay: I don't care who knows it! (Sadly) Mr. Cuddlywump...! (Hugs the stuffed animal)
Season 8: Sons of Garmadon
- In the first episode of the season, Jay and Cole enter a monastery looking for Master Wu. the monks of said monastery all have taken a vow of silence, and thus don't talk to the two. Jay initially thinks they're being ignored because Cole introduced himself as the Master of Earth, until Cole corrects him.Jay: (loudly) CAN YOU POINT US TO HIM?Meditating monk: (points)Jay: THANK YOU! I LIKE YOUR PLACE!Cole: (facepalm)
- After learning that their lead was another dead end, Jay and Cole get into an argument, which eventually leads to one of the monks yelling at them to stop fighting. This causes other monks to break their vow as well, something they're not happy about. Jay and Cole promptly leave.
- Episode 77, The Oni and the Dragon, has a few of moments.
- During the beginning, when Harumi and the Ninja are discussing who might be in charge of the Sons of Garmadon, Harumi gets a bit off track when she finds something... personal.Harumi: Forgive me, but is that... (carefully picks up a pair of blue underwear on the console) underwear?
Jay: (laughes nervously as he takes the underwear from Harumi) We're usually more organized. But our leader got lost in a time stream... They're Cole's.
Cole: They're blue!
Kai: You're lucky they're not yellow.
- Zane and Cole need to interrogate a SoG member who got caught during the first episode, they plan to use the Tea of Truth (a G-Rated magical version of Truth Serums) to get him to talk. Unfortunately, before they could get to the SoG (identified as Luke Cunningham), another convict tries to escape and causes Cole to switch the cups by accident. Since they both look alike, Cole has no idea which is which. When they reach the suspect, Cole tries to get him to drink the Tea of Truth and drinks what he thought was the regular tea. When Luke refuses, Cole blurts a few things out.Cole: Oh, don't you get it? If you don't drink the Tea of Truth we won't get answers- (realizes what he said and covers his mouth)
Luke: (looks to his tea then to Cole) You trying to trick me?
Zane: Cole, I think you drank the wrong cup!
Cole: I see that now. (gives the Tea of Truth to Zane) But in full disclosure I'm trying my best to look like I didn't. ( a few seconds pass, with Cole failing miserably to hide the fact he can't lie now) Oh, it's not working, is it?
Luke: Ha! So you can't lie? Oh, do you pee in the swimming pool?
Cole: Oh course! Who doesn't? (covers mouth)
Luke: Where are you hiding the Princess?
Cole: Oh, the Destiny's Bounty in a cove off Hollow's Bluff (covers mouth) But tomorrow we'll be at the village of Stiix.
Zane: You're giving away all our secrets!
Cole: I can't lie!!
Luke: What sort of power does the Green Ninja have?
Cole: Some kind of energy or green light. I don't know, like all of our Elemental Powers rolled into one. Who can say- Oh! Zane, knock me out! Do something!
Luke: (laughs) Wait until the gang at Laughies hears about this.
Zane: "Laughies"? You mean that karaoke club on the south side?
Luke: (stops laughing) Oh...
Cole: Haha! Who's the super now. Good thing I didn't tell him about my fear of singing. Oh, ZANE! Can we please get out of here?
- During the beginning, when Harumi and the Ninja are discussing who might be in charge of the Sons of Garmadon, Harumi gets a bit off track when she finds something... personal.
- In Game of Masks, Kai attempts to threaten The Quiet One/Princess Harumi into giving the Ninja the masks. Emphasis on "attempts to".Kai: This can end one of two ways, either you hand the masks over peacefully...Jay: I don't know the rest of the choices, I like that one.The Quiet One: Or what?Kai: Or we'll have to get all ninja on you.The Quiet One: What does that even mean?Kai: I don't know. I was improvising, usually Lloyd does the talking... where's Lloyd?!
Season 9: Hunted
- During the week the ninja were stranded in the First Realm, Jay has... lost a few marbles. He's so out of it that he's uncharacteristically calm, where normally he's one of the first to panic in situations like this. At one point in the first episode he's pretending that a piece of wood is a new video game console. He doesn't even bat an eye when the Dragon Hunters take them to the Pit to fight Slab, and during said fight he even said that they're not getting out of the Pit alive and tells Kai to accept it because it's more fun that way. This lasts until the beginning of episode three where we have this gem:Kai: (while surrounded by Dragon Hunters) You with us Jay?Jay: We're totally outnumbered. They have weapons, and we don't. I haven't eaten all day, not to mention haven't showered in a week. Do you see there are kids in this audience? This level of violence is far to much for them to handle, let alone me!Zane: He's back to normal.
- In Green Destiny we get this gem when the ninja alongside the dragons try to defeat the Colossi through the vengestone chains they obtained from the Dragon Hunters.Kai: Even if we had more [chains], it's not thick enough to stop it.Zane: Then perhaps next time we should use thicker chains!Cole: There ain't gonna be a next time!!Kai: No, he's on to something! Look at all that chain if we could use it we could lock it [the Colossi] down.Cole: And who of us is stupid enough to jump on that thing?.Cue Kai jumping on top of the Colossi without the slightest shade of hesitation
Season 10: March of the Oni
- The fact that the best thing they could think of to monitor Lloyd while he's in the mist is a Go-Pro strapped to his head.
- The debate over whether or not to give Garmadon a sword.
- When he finally gets one, he semi-attacks the team to charge up his Oni powers before unceremoniously throwing himself off the Bounty. This earns a moment of silence and WTF expressions from the others.
- The entire "Why are you smiling?" exchange between Lloyd and Garmadon.
- Jay proposing to Nya in the middle of a possibly-apocalyptic battle. (Though could also cross into Heartwarming and Tearjerker)
Season 11: Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu
- Wu chewing out the team for slacking on their ninja duties, culminating in the fact that they'd been using a freaking divine basin as a hot tub!
- And they still use it again later in the episode even after knowing better.
- And then you remember that Cole admitted to peeing in the pool during the truth tea incident in Son's of Garmadon.
- And they still use it again later in the episode even after knowing better.
- Two Words: Electro-Chicken!
- The montage of P.I.X.A.L. re-building the Samurai X cave into the Monastery, while Jay is obviously playing videogames in the center of the construction zone.
- This apparently happened on and off over the course of six months!
- Clutch Powers only agreeing to explore the pyramid because the Explorer's Club was going to cancel his membership.
- The fact that the skeleton they find impaled on a booby trap is named after the show's original writers.
- In the tail end of "Ninjas vs Lava", there's a super-cut of every time Kai's unconscious body got smacked into something during the escape sequence.
- How nonchalantly Nelson describes Clutch as "the man riding a fire ball into the city".
- The entirety of episode 7 aka "Snaketastrophe". Meta humor at it's finest!
- Lloyd and his dad play baseball using Spinjitzu in the ninth graphic novel. After 27 innings and the score still at 0-0, they give up.
- And then they play catch. The ball goes right through tree trunks when Lloyd throws it.
- The non-canon shorts "The Exclusive Blooper Reel" and "Wu's Teas" are all this.