open/close all folders
The protagonist of the story, a five-tailed fox from Tokyo who moves to Gensokyo and takes up residence with the Moriya. He specializes in illusions, intrigue, and diplomacy.
- Action Survivor
- Animal Eyes: He is a fox spirit, so fox pupils can show up when he's revealing his true nature.
- Ascended Meme: Doomfox, Ayumu's nickname, started as a joke between the writer and the readers. Eventually, Akyuu calls him this, as does Sanae.
- Badass Finger Snap: Makes use of this when calling up illusions or fire.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He's not as strong as the Moriya, but a five-tailed kitsune is no small power. He just has to get clever about it.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Ayumu's battle fox form, intentional as he does not want an extra vulnerability on him.
- Big Brother Instinct: Regularly looks out for sister figures.
- Born Unlucky: He is unnaturally unlucky. Quantifiably so even. After Hina removes his misfortune, in the form of a tiny black star, about a week later Ayumu and Sanae return to purge their misfortune. Sanae hasn't had her misfortune removed recently, and she only produces a faint miasma of misfortune when drained. Ayumu only produces a miasma too, but it's twice as much as Sanae's.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: With Sanae.
- Broken Bird: The destruction of his home, the slaughter of his family, and his little sister dying in his arm broke him. Then he spent the next centuries hiding who he was, and never speaking a word of what happened to anyone.
- Butt-Monkey: Ayumus nickname is Doomfox, because despite the best efforts of everyone he keeps almost dying.
- Catchphrase: Something ominous/worrying/interesting happens. "Neat."
- Characterization Marches On: Ayumu, as is his nature as a Quest driven OC.
- The Chew Toy: Ayumu's regular suffering is one of the qualities that endears him to the audience.
- Cosmic Plaything: Ayumu believes life is out to get him. Evidence indicates this may be true.
- Yukari implies this may have been true for his entire clan.
- Cunning Like a Fox: Ayumu is a Kitsune. It comes with the territory.
- Dark and Troubled Past: See Broken Bird entry.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ayumu likes his dark suits and is a pretty decent guy, provided you aren't try to kill him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Preferred form of humor. Occasionally branches into Servile Snarker and Snark-to-Snark Combat.
- Death by a Thousand Cuts: How Ayumu's Last Word works, defeating a foe by a barrage of reviving undead foxes. No longer true as of Thread Two: Chapter 5.9
- Despair Event Horizon: Nearly crosses it when he thinks the Moriya, and Sanae specifically, are rejecting him.
- Dream Walker: Starting during his first night in Gensokyo, Ayumu has the ability to wander into the dreams of others.
- He can do his under his own power, but he needs to be touching a person to do so.
- Dream Weaver: Ayumu uses this a few times, while wandering the dreams of others.
- The Eeyore: An exceptionally hard working example that doesn't try to bring everyone else down. Still, one of his main personality traits is his inability to feel happiness, or at least inability to recognize his own happiness. He does get periods of rest, and a few brighter moments. Mostly due to Sanae.
Sanae: I will be getting you a birthday present
once I figure out if you have anything you actually enjoy in life!
- The Face: His specialty is diplomacy and intrigue.
- Family Man: Over the course of the story, becomes completely loyal to the Moriya.
Suwako: Ah may talk like a hick but ahm no fool. Ah know you mean us no harm, ah know you would never harm us, ahve seen far too much proof otherwise.
- Fearless Fool: This combined with his politeness makes him rather charming to the various top tier powers of the realm.
- Female Gaze: Ayumu got some when he answered the door to his hotel room, shirtless and showing his burns and scars.
- Suwako says he's not much to look at...implying she has looked.
- Guile Hero: Ayumu's primary method for conflict resolution. He prefers to solve problems by not fighting at all, but if he must fight, he prefers use trickery or his allies to achieve victory.
- Invisibility: Something only the greatest of illusionists can achieve. Ayumu is one of them, although he needs to be very familiar with his environment to use it spontaneously.
- One of his spellcards, Forgotten Beast, allows him to use this anywhere. It's the best invisibility spellcard Suwako's ever seen, and muffles the sounds he makes. It also makes divine energy vanish, so despite Ayumu being their shinshi that they should be able to locate at all times, they can't detect him while he's right next to them.
- Ayumu can be detected by footsteps along the ground, or by rain giving away his outline.
- It's Personal: Once Ayumu discovers the entire Continuation of Past Tragedies incident was masterminded by the same people who massacred his clan, it becomes this.
- It Was a Gift: Ayumu's ring is a gift from his father. It is also a Tragic Keepsake.
- Kill It with Fire: As a Kitsune, Ayumu can use foxfire in combat, though he tends to avoid doing so due to trauma.
- Knight in Sour Armor: More depressed and subdued that sour and snarky, but he fits. He fights for people, not causes.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Ayumu has a tendency to not notice or care about grievous injuries to himself.
- Manly Tears: Ayumu has cried exactly twice in the story.
- The first is over his sisters dead body.
- The second is when Yukari reveals that she avenged his clan long ago. She hugs him from behind so she can't see him, and even then he covers it up with an illusion.
- Master of Disguise: A combination of illusions, shapeshifting, and social wiles are very good for this.
- He can even use his illusions to disguise others.
- Master of Illusion: The Shinjo clan specialty.
- Mr. Exposition: Serves as this occasionally, usually when bring other characters up to date. Having a Photographic Memory and being a Master of Illusion also helps speed things along.
- My Greatest Failure: When his family was massacred, the best he could do was run away and bring his wounded sister to safety. Then she died in his arms.
- Not Afraid to Die: He's not actively suicidal, but the Moriya do describe him as having a deathwish.
- Partial Transformation: Can do partial transformations of his full fox form to access specific abilities.
- Photographic Memory: He has one, implied to be due to his heritage and/or training as an illusionist.
- Power Copying: When Ayumu enters someone else's dream, he can wake up with a copy of their spellcard, albeit at much reduced power.
- Power Makes A Tail Grow: When kitsune get old enough, or gather enough power, they grow a new tail until they reach nine tails. Once they reach nine tails, they lose a tail every hundred years or after sufficient power, until they are left with one tail and become a Tenko.
- Ayumu goes from a five-tail to a six-tail the night the Moriya defeat Danjuro and free the fox village.
- Power Tattoo: Gets one of a snake winding around his forearm with a frog popping out of the mouth when he becomes the Moriya's Shinshi.
- It glows when Ayumu is the recipient of faith.
- Really 700 Years Old: Or 487 as the case may be.
- Repressed Memories: Avoids remembering his past. Considering his Photographic Memory means it will never dull with the passing of time, he has good reason.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Ayumu and Sanae, although Kanako and Suwako can also fit the dynamic.
- Stepford Snarker: Usually polite and reserved, as well as a pleasant conversationalist, he does use snark to conceal how he really feels.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: He is this to Sanae, when he's in fox form.
- Staff of Authority: Ayumu gets one. Kanako teaches him to pummel people with it, by pummeling him. When not in use, he wears it as a bracelet.
- The Stoic: On the talkative side, but steady in demeanor.
- Summon Bigger Fish: One of his favorite strategies when the situation allows it.
- Survivor's Guilt: One of his defining traits. Primarily because his village was attacked and massacred, while he ran with his injured little sister Akiya while injured mother covered his escape. Later Akiya died in his arms.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: Subverted. Ayumu is tall, dark, and snarky, but he has no arrorgance or pride in himself, nor does he ever refer to those around him as idiots.
- Think Nothing of It: His response to the Moriya after they mention how far he's going for them.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Every once in a while, the universe cuts him a break.
- Took a Level in Badass: Ayumu also goes from being casually smacked around by Suwako in his first fight, to fighting Sanae on his own terms. And winning.
- Notably, he won by trickery and when Sanae was very inexperienced in fighting tricksters. He would not fair as well in a rematch.
- Training from Hell: His trainers are two proud war goddesses and their daughter. Hellish is the standard, not the exception.
- The Trickster: Ayumu. He tends to avoid combat when possible, but when forced...
Suwako: Yer really one for trickery and area of denial aint ya?
Kanako: Your spellcards are extensions of yourself, it wouldnt be wrong to say you choose to stay out of an upfront encounter almost completely
and you use others for direct combat.
- Trickster Mentor: To Sanae during their sparring match.
- Tranquil Fury: When Danjuro taunts him with the murder of Ayumu's clan.
- Unreliable Narrator: Ayumu can mostly be trusted to be accurate in what he perceives and recalls, but not on the subject of himself. What he recalls is also limited by how much he is repressing at a given time.
- Weaponized Landmark: Has acquired the ability to use Kanako's Onbashira, but she needs to make them specifically for him.
- You Remind Me of X: Said to Sanae, who reminds Ayumu of Akiya, his little sister.
The great and beautiful wind maiden, Kanako and Suwako's daughter. She has a cheerful and upbeat attitude towards life, even when it's kicking her while she's down. She's very happy to be in Gensokyo where her mothers are healthy and active again.
Goddess of War and Heaven, the once Ruler of Yamato. She rules Moriya Shrine with Suwako and is mother to Sanae. Kanako's pride is at once a source of strength and her Fatal Flaw
. Her actions inSubterranean Animism
has led to the underground severing ties with the Moriya, putting the shrine in hard times. Despite setbacks, she still works towards Moriya Shrine's glory and success.
Goddess of Curses and Earth, born of Suwa's desire for a goddess, she commands the Mishaguji and is mother to Sanae. Moriya Shrine originally belonged to Suwako. Though Kanako now rules it, Suwako still considers it her shrine and is capable of many feats that Kanako is not while on home ground. She provides most of the divine services Moriya offers and prior to Ayumu's recruitment served as The Face
- Action Mom
- Armor-Piercing Question: Delivers one to Ayumu, calling him out on hiding his past from the Moriya despite having sworn his life to them, and asking him to tell them what happened.
- Arranged Marriage: Has been married a few times, never for love.
- Bash Sisters: With Kanako.
- "Be Quiet!" Nudge: Used to Ayumu to get him to stop talking to Meiling. Apparently Sanae gets it from her mom.
- Blood Knight: Not quite as much as Kanako, but still very combat happy. She has a more ruthless and vicious approach than Kanako.
- Curse: One of her main domains.
- Disproportionate Retribution: She is a Curse Goddess. She knows a lot of unpleasant ways to kill someone, or make them wish for death.
- At one point Suwako tells a story from her own history, based on Real Life mythology.
Ayumu: So let me get this straight
you were insulted by Ganigawara
did nothing, then let Kanako handle it? A direct insult?
Suwako: Ya. For the most part. I gave her a rather
interestin arrow to deal with him though.
Ayumu: I figured being a deity that youd take insults such as that rather personally. I mean, I knew you had just lost a good chunk of your powerbase in the war
but shooting up your house is a bit much.
Suwako: I was busy rebuilding I just let Kanako handle it by giving her one of my special arrows. I had a kingdom to rebuild, technically mine or not.
Ayumu: What kind of arrow was it?
Suwako: Oh,one of my favorites! Was made using good iron, along with some particularly delicious substances from a few plants and frogs. The idea was it made every pain receptor on your body light up like a damned new years celebration. Ah used a herb that prevented sleep, blackouts, and any form of painkiller from working either. Best part was as a god he was static, he couldnt get rid of the damn poison as it affected his very being! Didnt give em the antidote until he begged for forgiveness a couple weeks later, and sent some of his daughters for political marriage. Was a rather good turn around for a few arrows at my house.
- Distracted by My Own Sexy: Averted. When Ayumu disguises himself in Suwako's form and imitates her speech, Suwako finds it creepy. Notably, Suwako who has cloning powers and most likely finds copies that are not her unsettling.
- Even Curse Goddesses Have Standards: Even whe Moriya is hard up for faith and followers, Suwako still doesn't like showing herself in the Human Village. They tend to ask her for curses on people who have wronged them, and she just doesn't want to get involved.
- Forged by the Gods: Anything Suwako crafts is this by default.
- Genius Loci: Suwako is one. When she says Moriya Shrine is her shrine, she doesn't just that it's where she lives or is enshrined. She is the shrine.
- Sanae notes that she never had any secrets from her mothers because of this.
- This aspect of Suwako also leads to some jokes about her beeing The Peeping Tom.
- Glowing Eyes: Her eyes glow softly when she's in her adult form, signifying her increased power.
- God Couple: Averted. Kanako and Suwako are just best friends here.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kanako. They even adopted a child together.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her iron rings.
- Instant Sedation: Has a curse or spell that she can use to instantly sedate someone. So far it's only been used on Ayumu.
- Insult of Endearment: Suwako's nickname for Kanako is Beanpole.
- Lady of Black Magic: She generally doesn't go for elegance, but magic is her specialty. She taught it to Sanae.
- Physical Goddess
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Kanako's Red.
- Self-Duplication: One of Suwako's tricks. It lets her post sentries. As long as she keeps them on the main shrine, she reclaims their energy when they dispell, making them a source of Mundane Utility.
- The Moriya also made use of them to fake having more shrine maidens than they did at their other shrines. Suwako would keep 'office hours' at the shrines and gather faith to fuel the Moriya's aggressive expansion. When the underground reversed the Moriya's fortune, they had to stop this practice.
- Shared Family Quirks: With Sanae. Both elbow people in the sides.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Suwako, by default. She maintains her child form when low on power, because her larger form means more than just size.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Notable because she came into existence as a goddess of the earth and curses. She is personable, yet alien at times.
- Talk to the Fist: Suwako interrupting Kanako's introduction with an iron ring to the back of the head, and a Dig Attack from below.
- Weaponized Landmark: Moriya Shrine itself.
Akiya (Unmarked Spoilers Ahead!)
Ayumu's little sister who died. Her death was a major component in shaping who he is in the present.
- Arranged Marriage: She was set up for a relatively young arranged marriage with another clan to strengthen ties.
- Blood-Splattered Wedding Dress: Takes a mortal injury while wearing her wedding dress.
- Death by Origin Story
- Disposable Woman: She isn't forgotten, but she does exist as a very personal symbol of Ayumu's loss.
- The Glomp: Greets Ayumu with this.
- Lonely Funeral: Her funeral consists of a quick cremation by Ayumu, done as much to honor her as to keep her body from being discovered.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Because of her injury, Ayumu's mother had Ayumu carry Akiya out of the village and to safety. Because Ayumu wasn't in the village, he was not caught or killed. Because Ayumu was nowhere near the village when Yukari discovered the Shinjo clan had been massacred, Yukari did not find evidence of Ayumu or any other Shinjo's survival when Yukari went on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Posthumous Character: She died long before the story started. The only information left is Ayumu's flashbacks and his recollections, and Ayumu is an Unreliable Narrator on this subject.
- Runaway Fiancée: Does this to see Ayumu before her wedding. This is how Ayumu learns she's getting married.
- Wedding Smashers: What interrupts her wedding, with the intent to kill or kidnap or enthrall everyone there.
- Widowed at the Wedding
Danjuro (Unmarked Spoilers Ahead!)
Danjuro of the Fusakazu clan, the villain of Continuation of Past Tragedies (CoTP). The Fusakazu specializes in Charm
, to the point where they can turn a person into a thrall. Danjuro's clan was responsible for the death of Shinjo clan, as well as the death and enslavement of many others.
- Brainwashing for the Greater Good: Danjuro and the Fusakazu clan's method and justification for enslaving the foxes.
- Charm Person: Managed to hit Ayumu with such a strong one that Ayumu was help immobile and helpless to defend himself.
- Cunning Like a Fox
- Dirty Coward
- Evil Gloating: He just can't help himself.
- False Flag Operation: This was his plan in CoPT. Give an obvious lead in foxes attacking people, and expecting reprisals in the form of Touhou protagonists shooting up the fox village, not finding his hidden section of the village, and then consolidating his power in the aftermath.
- I Shall Taunt You
Ayumu: Ayumu Shinjo, does that mean anything to you?
Yes, I remember that clan! We never managed to get any Shinjo alive to add to our ranks, we did, fortunately, manage to get some Isawa though
yes, I remember. A wedding correct?
Sorry about that, but it was a good haul; like an unlocked henhouse
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Danjuro thought Ayumu was all he needed to worry about. He didn't realize Remilia was looking for stragglers, and that Ayumu had herded him into an ambush.
- Kick the Dog: He **really* can't help himself.
- Killed Mid-Sentence
Ayumu: There are still plenty of foxes around, we certainly dont need you around terrorizing the people and destroying our shrines.
Danjuro: ...Oh, you think we did th-
- Lackof Empathy: He lost his clan, the same as Ayumu's. He doesn't care.
- Meaningful Name: It's more than just an alias to him, he has theater themed spellcards.
- Mind Rape
- Power Parasite: Danjuro and the Fusakazu clan slaughtered fox clans to harvest their power (tails).
- Relative Button: Danjuro presses Ayumu's.
- Reminiscing About Your Victims: Danjuro does this once Ayumu reveals his Shinjo name.
- Silver Fox: A mix of black and silver in his hair. Danjuro is about as old as Ayumu though, which means he either chose to have gray hair or he's Prematurely Grey-Haired.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Smug Snake