and...[7days Immortal] Unreal BLACK THINGS.
The deep darkness of the hollow night. New shells of incarnation alight.
One swing of a sword. Sinuous white snake. Savage fangs of the beast.
Tonight, the deepest night. Blessing for all who confronts...
Last night, at the dawn. A young man shows up.
Hell fire burns down the surroundings. The ice coffin quietly lies.
So the time comes. Here, ring the bell of the dawn.
The dark night will soon be over...
Under Night In-Birth is a HD 2D Fighting Game made by French Bread, the makers of Cult Classic, Melty Blood. It combines fast paced, flashy combat with a unique Tug of War mechanic which rewards good defence. As of now, the roster includes twenty-one characters, with a couple of guest characters thrown in for good measure.
In the quiet town of Kanzakai, a rumour stirs among the residents: "Those who get their souls devoured by the Dark Shadows, will end up wandering eternally in a mysterious world."
They say that every full moon, a strange, alternate world merges with ours and mysterious monsters roam throughout the streets, killing and devouring all that they see. No one knows for sure as to whether it is real or not, but for the most part, it all seems like hokey. Right?
Hyde Kido is an Ordinary High-School Student, he has an ordinary life, ordinary friends and goes to an ordinary school, and he likes it that way. One day, he has a rather eventful encounter with a strange girl named Linne and they separate on that night after he shows her around the city. The next day, as Hyde is walking home after school, Hyde is beset upon by the rumored man-eating shadows and chased into an alleyway. Unable to move and do anything against his formless attackers, Hyde is narrowly saved by Linne who leaps in to fight the shadows off. However, Hyde is bitten by the creatures and slays the last shadow on his own when he is able to manifest a strange power. Linne helps Hyde up and the true stage of the city he once thought knew is revealed to him.
Those who survive their encounter with Voids become known as In-births, and the city of Kanzakai has been recently recognized as the most concentrated location of in-birth activity. In-births are able to utilize a power known as EXS, the energy source present in all living things. The particular nights where in-births and voids roam the streets are known as Hollow Nights and entire organizations have risen and fallen in their attempts to rule with their powers or keep wanton uses of powers in check. The longest lasting organization that currently holds the most authority over the night is Licht Kreis, an international policing force under the day-time guise of a benevolent charity enterprise. Linne formerly was associated with the now disbanded Night Blade clan who previously fought against Licht Kreis but in-fighting has led to their disbandment. Kanzakai itself however houses another prolific organization of in-births that has recently gained the attention of Licht Kreis' eye, the group known as Amnesia, led by a woman who seeks to ascend to a higher state of being, surpassing that of an in-birth: a Re-Birth. Caught in the middle of conflicting organizations and other numerous outliers in the city streets, Hyde finds himself caught in the middle of the mess, allied only with Linne and her companion Waldstein and meeting familiar faces he thought he knew and new ones to fight.
Gameplay of Under Night In-Birth focuses on fast-paced ground game (though it has Assault command input that let every character do a quick leap/ airdash instantly for mobility or quick overhead attacks) The game features unique resource called GRD (Grind Grid) in addition to traditional 'super gauge' found in most 2D fighting game. The GRD aims to simulate how some anime characters gather aura from surroundings to power themselves up. Both players try to fill more GRD than their opponent by making proper attacks and defense in tug-of-war like fashion, in order to gain damage boost (called Vorpal) at the moment GRD timer runs out in each cycle throughout the match.
Originally released on September 20, 2012 in arcades. It later received two major updates titled Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late, released on September 9th 2013, and Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st], released on July 23, 2015. Both revisions served to rebalance the roster, updated graphics, and added several new characters, which can be read about on the game's character sheet. Late[st] also added Chronicle Mode, a collection of visual novel-esque stories that finally show the game's universe and backstory. A PlayStation 3 port of "Exe:Late" was released on July 24, 2014, and would eventually be localized in 2015 in North Amercia, with Europe getting the game a few days later. It was later released, in it's Exe:Late form, on Steam on June 12, 2016. "Exe:Late[st]" also received a console port on Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and Playstation Vita consoles, it was released in Japan on July 20, 2017. "Exe:Late[st]" was released on February 9th, 2018 in both NA and EU regions and localized by both Aksys/P-Qube respectively. "Exe:Late[st]" was released on PC on August 20th, 2018. Another update of the game titled Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late [cl-r] (Pronounced "Claire") will be released directly on consoles and will be released for PS4 and Nintendo Switch on Feburary 20th, 2020. Those with a PS4 copy of UNIST will be able to update the game to have the balance changes of UNICLR on the same day of its release, however, DLC specific to UNICLR for UNIST owners is sold seperately.
Under Night also appears in the Massive Multiplayer Crossover BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, opposite BlazBlue, Persona 4: Arena, RWBY, Arcana Heart, Senran Kagura, and it's own guest series, Akatsuki Blitzkampf.
1st Clause. DIVIDE.
- Always Night: Caused by the Hollow Night phenomenon where all the fighting takes place in the dead of night.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Hilda provides an aversion where her dress and eye colors will show the correct one regardless of which way she is facing, as well as Seth only for his daggers depending on which alternate color he's using. This applies to every other character who switch their primary hand when facing the opposite direction.
- An Ice Person: Londrekia is able to use ice in battle.
- Author Appeal: Idiot Hair and Brainless Beauty. For the former, almost half of the original playable cast possess some form of Idiot Hair. For the latter, most of the playable girls are very pretty and with the exception of Linne, Orie, and Vatista (though all three of them definitely have their moments), the rest of them go on the scale from just being smart but very airheaded to completely Lethally Stupid with the least intelligent being Hilda, Mika, and Nanase. Hyde is also a male example.
- Ax-Crazy: Carmine and Byakuya are not exactly the most stable. Zohar counts too.
- Background Magic Field: The Hollow Night is permeated with EXS which allows the super-powered fighting to take place in the first place. It also passively acts as an advanced healing field that lets the characters to simply be knocked out when the fight is over, they'll be back on their feet in a short while.
- Badass Grandpa: Waldstein has been fighting for a good two hundred plus years. His rival, Enkidu looks pretty old as well.
- Badass Longcoat: Gordeau's purple duster, and Seth's black trenchcoat.
- Badass Normal: Enkidu's EXS abilities are far weaker than the other cast members, due to the small bite received by a Void.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He also fights exclusively through the martial arts he has learned in order to get ahead of everyone else.
- BFS: Yuzuriha and Hyde wield very long katanas. Likewise, Gordeau uses an even longer Sinister Scythe, and Nanase's Zephyr is as long as she is tall.
- Battle Intro: While unique battle lines were slim, more characters being added has led to more unique opening lines.
- Big Bad: Hilda at first glance, who is really just a pawn beneath Kuon.
- Bishounen: Hyde and Seth to name a few.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The localizations for both Exe: Late and Exe: Late[st] were rather rushed to put it nicely, but Exe Late[st] definitely stands out. Both are plastered with spelling and grammatical errors, while Exe: Late[st]'s localization flat out changes the names of terminology that has already been established, labels Wagner as male and even has the character themes renamed..
- Blood Knight: Carmine as a literal example. Waldstein and Enkidu also are known to enjoy having a good fight.
- Bloody Murder: Carmine utilizes his own blood to fight.
- Capcom Sequel Stagnation: As of [cl-r], it's reaching this territory, with 3 Updated Re-releases to its name with no sign of a true sequel since the game first came out in 2011.
- Calling Your Attacks: A fighting game staple. Linne even does it to get her in the fighting mood.
- Cast from Hit Points Carmine utilizes a special ability called Dissolve that forms a pool of blood that can be activated from across the screen with his specials. This prominent space control is balanced through Dissolve pools costing HP to utilize.
- Casting a Shadow: Both Hyde and Seth. Gordeau also has a few darkness-like attacks.
- Charged Attack: The Increase System has certain moves be held down for a few extra frames to gain more damage and have additional effects than their regular variants.
- Clothing Combat: Yuzuriha has her kimono involved in her at least three of her attacks.
- Coat Cape: Yuzuriha, with a kimono.
- Combat Stilettos: A majority of the female cast fight with these on.
- Combo Breaker: Veil Off. Somewhat subverted in that it's not usable while getting hit, unlike other fighting games with combo breakers.
- Comeback Mechanic: Inverted. Grind Vorpal gives whoever's got the better offense and defense a 10% damage boost once every 17 seconds and can sacrifice this buff for a BlazBlue-like Lag Cancel, sometimes leading to an Unstable Equilibrium.
- Cool Sword: Hyde and Yuzuriha have incredibly long katanas. Orie also has one of the rapier variety.
- Criss-Cross Attack: Seth does multiple in his specials and Infinite Worths.
- Cryptic Background Reference: Up until [st]'s Chronicle Mode, the entire plot of the games in the original release and in EXE: Late was accessible through the Arcade Mode story-line and its supreme lack of context had many people to think that they must have missed something.
- Dash Attack: All characters have at least two special running attacks.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite his appearance, attitude, and job as an Assassin, Seth is the game's Anti-Hero. Gordeau's coloration and weapon choice might also suggest this but he's arguably one of the nicest guys in the cast. Hyde himself utilizes darkness in combat but is also an extremely generous person.
- Double Jump: A technique only shared by Linne and Akatsuki. Nanase, and by extension Orie, can also achieve this through their Force Function.
- Eldritch Abomination: Voids are akin to extra-dimensional creatures that are invisible to the naked eye and slip into the real world during nights where EXS is concentrated in. While not normally perceptible, the people who can see them and encounter them are driven to insanity and consumed. Only those who are lucky enough to survive their encounter have the chance to become an in-birth.
- Voids come in all shapes and sizes and they're manifested forms depending on the amount of EXS around them. At their lowest, they appear like dark blobs while in increasing order they appear more snake-like, feral quadrupedal beasts, and eventually humanoid in their absolute strongest.
- Everyone Went to School Together: Around half the cast is composed of students in both middle-school and high-school. Hyde shares the same high-school with Orie, Seth, and Carmine while Phonon and Nanase share middle-schools. Byakuya and Tsukuyomi attend a different school and Wagner attends an all-girls academy.
- EX Special Attack: Performed by using C to do a special move. They cost half of your EXS bar, but Veil Off reduces the cost to a third.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Seth and Hilda.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Linnes trio have this dynamic:
- Waldstein is the fighter who goes Mano a Mano with various Inbirths with his gigantic strength and grappling moves.
- Hyde is the mage who wields the legendary Insulator and has the most zoning options with his EXS ability.
- Linne is the thief who is agile and fights by blitzing the opponent with her speed but is unable to take much punishment.
- As of Late[st], the resident lolis now fit the mold, with Mika being the fighter, Vatista the mage, and Linne the thief.
- Fighting Your Friend: A small number of the cast are acquainted with each other but the unspoken rules of the Hollow Night will have them duke it out.
- Final Boss: Hilda is normally the final opponent in most of the Arcade stories.
- Hyde and Seth, aside from the obvious red and blue theme, the two of them have many other contrasting traits. Both boys have a promise they want to fulfill to end Linne's suffering, but how they got to that point is very different. Hyde was just a normal high school boy until he just happened to run into Linne by chance after helping her and acquired the very power needed to end her curse. Seth is a descendant of the clan that used to serve Linne and trained 10 years of life to succeed in the mission given to him to kill her and acquires weapons very similar to Hyde's sword to do so. Hyde is very kind and outgoing and tends to put himself in danger to help others while Seth doesn't seem to care much about anything that's not about fulfilling his mission. Hyde wields a large sword while Seth uses two small daggers. The list goes...
- Gordeau and Chaos, both are Amnesia employees under Hilda. Gordeau is a Boisterous Bruiser that loves a good fight while Chaos is a Badass Bookworm and prefers using his brains and tries to get out of fighting as much possible, which is ironic given his past a street brawler. Gordeau looks sinister, but is actually one of the more down to earth characters in the entire game and while Chaos isn't a bad person per se, he has far less patience for people he considers less intelligent than him.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: The current roster of 20 is evenly split between male and female fighters.
- Genki Girl: Yuzuriha, if the music notes that come out of her sprite during battle are any indication. Mika also counts.
- Genre Motif: With the exception of Orie, all of the playable Licht Kreis/Ritter Schild members have classical music composer motifs to some degree, whether it's in their character themes or through other tidbits of trivia like similar birth dates.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Vatista has been shown fully nude on camera several times, with the only censorship being her Rapunzel Hair covering her back. And given that Hyde and Orie initially saw her as an ordinary girl, she's not missing any... "attributes."
- When Akatsuki encounters Hilda in his Arcade story, he confuses her for one of those "professionals who ply their trade by night."
- Zohar and Strix's costumes while working with Ogre. Rather clearly made of leather, with sizable holes in the chest area.
- Grapple Move: Throws are universal while characters like Waldstein, Carmine, Seth, Gordeau, and Mika have their unique command grabs.
- Gratuitous English: Just like its predecessor, if not worse.
- Gordeau is, aside from the name and menus, the most notable example.
- "FIRST CLAUSE! DIVIDE!"
- "DOWN! DEPLETION OF EXS!"
- "BREAKDOWN! VANISHMENT OF VOID!"
- Hyde goes for Punctuated! For! Emphasis! when doing his Vacant Shift special move: "FIRST! SECOND! THIRD!"
- Orie follows Hyde combined with Calling Your Attacks for her super named "REST! IN! PEACE!"
- Yuzuriha's jumping A has her "el-BOW!". One of her reaction line to being hit is also an inappropriately-funny "OHHH NOOO!"
- Going Commando: A common joke in the game regarding the female cast as a lot of the their animations and frames show no signs of underwear being worn. This is apparently completely intentional as the head of the development team decreed this as to not show visible panties in the game. Alternate Colors are however fair-game for certain characters.
- Guest Fighter:
- Melty Blood's Sion Eltnam Atlasia? Technically, Eltnum is (more or less) Sion Eltnam Atlasia in an Alternate Universe. She is subject to the same events as in Melty Blood, with most of Sion Eltnam Atlasia's back-story (and a massive design change). It should be noted that Eltnum is said to be intruding on the events of UNiB.
- Played far straighter with Akatsuki.
- Because of her existence, there are a few things from Eltnum that pay Homage to her ten years as a combatant in Melty Blood, with her theme being the biggest one, which is a remix of Blood Drain, Melty Blood Actress Again's title theme. There is also the small fact that Eltnum lives on the Forth Wall in story mode, having fought for ten years... she sees herself as viewing how the "next generation" stacks to herself. As such, she views her relationships with other characters as something of a Sempai/Kohai relationship, especially with Hyde. Just about everyone brushes her off as insane. And She is finally free of that Goddamn Shroom (read one: Kinoko Nasu) in her ending.
- Well, he is here... so you can't just summon the God of Thunder without some references to his struggle. The theme that accompanies Akatsuki isn't his own, similar to Eltnum. War Start -Again- is a remix of title theme to Akatsuki Blitzkampf.
- Humanoid Abomination: Merkava. Most of the other Void probably qualify as well.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Yuzuriha. With a nodachi no less.
- I Can Still Fight!: After a round is over, the loser will get up in order to prepare for the next round until the victor of the fight is decided.
- Idle Animation: Essentially the taunt move of the game. Since the Grind Grid System will react to movement in general, standing absolutely still not only yields a character saying some lines but can be interpreted as a taunt since they're not making use of the Tug of War at all.
- Immortal Breaker: The Insulator destroys EXS directly, meaning it can kill any being. This, naturally, has gained the interest of multiple characters - Linne wants Hyde to use it to stop her from ruining the lives of any more host girls, while Hilda wants to free herself from having to answer to Kuon the Eternal and become limitless in her own right.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Yuzuriha's got one nice katana. Hyde's sword can be thought as one, but it lacks a traditional hilt and scabbard.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot: Before Chronicle Mode, the story could only be pieced together through the separate Arcade Mode stories.
- Knife Nut: Seth's weapons, the Eliminators, are two large knives.
- Lady of War: Orie is pretty much checking every list of requirements of this trope. Yuzuriha's fighting style is also pretty graceful, but she's more energetic than most examples. Erika Wagner also contends.
- Lag Cancel: Particularly from the Reverse-Beat mechanic allowing the characters to utilize normals they haven't used in the combo strings. Starting off with a heavy attack can be made relatively safe by canceling back into a light attack.
- Laughing Mad: From Carmine.
- Light 'em Up: Orie and to a certain extent, Chaos.
- The Man Behind the Man: Kuon is manipulating Hilda for his own unknown reasons.
- Mighty Glacier: Waldstein is an absolute mountain of a man.
- Mirror Self: A rather foreboding predicament to all who become in-births. See this for more.
- Multi Coloured Hair: Both Hyde and Seth. Hyde's is black and blond, while Seth's is black and white.
- Named Weapons: Par for the course. Examples include Hyde's Insulator, Seth's Eliminators, Gordeau's Devour, and Orie's Ruler among many others.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Almost every character has some nickname out in the Hollow Night and is mostly identified with that nickname. Funny to consider that Hyde got his nickname just from a month of being active while Nanase earned hers in two weeks.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Hilda, of course.
- Noodle Incident: Hyde and Yuzuriha apparently had one and Hyde has been trying to get over it. Yuzuriha on the other hand doesn't seem to mind all that much but [st]'s Chronicle Mode shows that she's trying her best to forget it.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: How Gordeau wields his Devourer.
- Parrying Bullets: Waldstein's Destroyers and Wagner's Ancile can nullify projectiles if they make contact with them. Other haracters like Enkidu and Akatsuki have their parries.
- Phlebotinum Overload: What presumably turned Merkava into what he is. Gordeau and Chaos' friend Roger shared this fate, as did Waldstein.
- Playing with Fire: Wagner's EXS ability, Flame Tyrant, allows her to manipulate flames.
- Punched Across the Room: Wallbounces are plentiful.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Carmine's hair starts out white, but can use his Blood Spike ability to dye his hair in order to intimidate his opponents.
- Power Glows: A character who is under the effects of Vorpal glows blue. Red if they're in Veil Off.
- Power Stable: The In-Birth Front, organizations and groups who operate within the Hollow Night for different goals. Most characters on the roster and NPCs from the Arcade and Chronicle modes are aligned with the major ones, although a few (Carmine, Yuzuriha, Byakuya, etc.) remain unaffiliated:
- The Night Blade: A faction initially formed by the villagers who took in the Hollow God, dedicated to protecting innocents from the dangers of the Hollow Night and passing this knowledge onward. They opposed the Licht Kreis' advance into Japan who wished to conquer them, sparking a battle that would be met with a decisive end where the young Kuon won the respect of Licht Kreis' commanding officer Waldstein and had the latter's forces withdraw. A divide in their ranks as half of the Night Blade left to pursue their own interpretation of their duties while the other half remained behind to continue working in secrecy. With this schism, the ceremonial "leaders" of the organization embodied by the siblings of Kuon and Linne, the latter accompanied by Waldstein, left as well leaving the organization to fade into the obscurity of history. This divide in their group reduced the amount of currently active members to less than a hundred in the modern day, operating in secrecy and individually. Seth is among these clanspeople that stayed while Yuzuriha's ancestors where the one who left. Hyde is its newest "member" as of Chronicle Mode by association with Linne.
- Licht Kreis: A Void-hunting faction based in Germany, operating under the guise of an international philanthropy enterprise, whose operations are supported by large business conglomerates in secret. Waldstein's defection to the Night Blade caused its leader Adelheid - one of the six Re-Births in existence - to outlaw all men from ever joining, turning it into an all-female organization. Orie, Mika and Wagner all serve the group as field operatives referred to as Executors, assisted by their teammates in undercover assignments. Many of the former male members have formed a sibling group called the Ritter Schild, with whom they have an uneasy alliance with. Licht Kreis currently has 300 active members in its inner workings while thousands of employees work unbeknownst to their employer's true dealings.
- Amnesia: The newest faction of In-Births based in Kanzakai, whose goal is to break the control of the Licht Kreis over the Hollow Night. Hilda and Gordeau are among its founders; the latter abandoned his post after the death of their comrade Roger, but still works alongside them as a freelance bodyguard. Chaos and Enkidu make up part of their top brass while around 200 members work beneath them.
- Rated M for Manly: Gordeau certainly looks the part, Enkidu more so.
- Razor Wings: Vatista uses her wings to attack.
- Real Men Cook: Character Q&As confirms that a majority of the male cast can cook. Hyde provides for not only himself but Linne, Waldstein, and Vatista while Gordeau is said to make a mean beef stroganoff.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Hyde and Seth respectively. There's also the blue-haired Orie and the redhead Yuzuriha. Carmine and Gordeau also exhibit this trope in the former's Arcade Story.
- The Rival: Seth to Hyde, not unlike Arc System Works other Red Oni, Blue Oni rivalries note . Gordeau and Chaos are a friendly variant on this. Both sets of rivals have themes that play when they fight. As of Uni[clr], Wagner and Londrekia can be added to this last as they have a special battle theme as well.
- Royal Rapier: Orie's Ruler. It also stores her Guardian Entity.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains: Barring a few exceptions from both sides, the majority of the game's Fanservice comes from the more antagonistic characters and their associates.
- Sensible: Hyde, Linne, Orie, Vatista, Nanase, Seth.
- Skimpy: Hilda, Gordeau, Enkidu, Strix, Zohar.
- Shock and Awe: Akatsuki's Blitz Motor gives him this special property. It does make him very hungry very quickly though.
- Sinister Scythe: Gordeau has this... notice that he's pulling it out of thin air
- Soul Eating: What Gordeau's scythe can apparently do. Couple that with Gordeau's claws that rips out souls as he stabs them into you.
- Super Mode: Veil Off. Gives a 10% damage boost and doubles as a pseudo-Combo Breaker.
- Symbolic Wings: Vatista's wings are arranged in such a way.
- The Gimmick: The character specific Force Function.
- Token Mini-Moe: Vatista, who is also an Elegant Gothic Lolita and a Little Miss Badass on top of that. Linne and Mika could also apply.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Gordeau, who has a long jacket instead. Enkidu also wears half of his outfit and leaves his upper body completely bare.
- Word Salad Title: The Japanese trend of naming things weirdly because it sounds cool strikes with a VENGEANCE in this series.
- The Worf Effect: In Orie's Arcade mode, Merkava comes in out of nowhere after Hilda is defeated, and devours/kills her before fighting Orie himself.
- Unblockable Attack: Slightly averted. Seth is the only character that can make use of unblockable set-ups.
- Violence Is the Only Option: One of the primary rules of the Hollow Night.
- Vocal Evolution: A lot of it when Late[st] came to home systems, which makes given its the first time new extensive vocal content had been added since the game's initial arcade release in 2012, a five year difference.
- Wham Episode: Chronicle Mode has a few.
- Amnesia vs. Bankikai: Roger and Ogre die, Zohar is driven insane and destroys Strix's vessel, and Gordeau is so guilt-ridden by the turn of events that he leaves Amnesia.
- Nighttime Void 3: Waldstein is revealed to be a former member of Licht Kreis, who defected after being saved from almost being turned into a Void by Kuon. It also reveals that Hyde's Insulator is actually the missing seventh wing of Vatista's Aegis Attributor.
- I Love My Sister: Byakuya's sister, Tsukuyomi, is revealed to be dead months before the actual story, having been killed when hit by a car.
- A Relucant Hero: Kuon finally makes his appearance...
- Road to Under Night: EXS is another something that replaces the original soul as it grows to fill the being's original existence. Re-Births are what happens when that other self completely erases and replaces the original. This means the person becomes a human shell with a Void on the inside.
- Whip It Good: Phonon's pet snake, Meunielnote , can transform into an incredibly long whip.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Waldstein, and to some degree Merkava. Mika busts in with some moves as well.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: Hilda and her outfit of choice.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Linne, Orie, Hilda, and Wagner.
Vanishment of Void