The main cast, the allied Sinners, the antagonists, and the Abductors
The game's resident Player Character, a Sinner who has been sentenced to 1,000,000 of prison time for being born, and thus becoming a drain on what's left of the world's resources. During a Citizen Reclamation mission with Uwe, Nina, and Carlos, the player is struck by an Abductor, delivering a near-fatal injury that strips them of their memories. During the period between life and death, they are intercepted by a girl named Aries M. on the Immaterial Plane, who tasks them with bringing about an event known as the Great Restoration.
- Amnesiac Hero: The game's plot kicks off after your character got amnesia as a result from a near-death experience.
- Badass Longcoat: Many outfits for the Sinner are like this, especially with one variant of the default Sinner outfit. For guys, another variant of the default Sinner outfit is a shirtless variant of the longcoat Sinner outfit.
- BFG: The AAW-M2, Dragonfire, Nambu Mk. 25, and Blaster are the larger Portable Artillery weapons, along with the Auto-Cannons.
- BFS: The Sinner can wield the TB-32/H, Kannagi, Aftershadow, Tebutje, and the Caliburn as standard Heavy Melee weapons.
- Big Damn Heroes: Wakes up just in time to deliver a Curb-Stomp Battle to Sylvia, just as she's about to murder her own sister.
- Blade on a Stick: The Sinner can also wield the Polearms class, such as the crit-heavy L-6E1, the slow yet deadly and precise Gration, and Exodus, which is obtained at the end of the game's story mode.
- The Cameo: The Sinner's outfit is an unlockable raiment in Soul Sacrifice Delta, which is available after the player defeated 3 Dionaeas. Breaking all of Dionaea's parts also unlock the Sinner's Thorn for its exact purpose: dragging ArchFiends down to their knees.
- Carry a Big Stick: Another Heavy Melee weapon that the Sinner can wield is the Mimas, which has the highest base damage for a melee weapon in the game.
- CatBoy/Cat Girl: A late-game outfit consists of a striped cat-themed hoodie, complete with ears and a tail, and this includes guys too. Even the Sinner's Accessory joins the fun!
- Chick Magnet: They win over both Beatrice and Sylvia, have Natalia warm up to them, was hinted to have been close to Nina before memory loss as she seems the one most upset, and their interactions with Aries M
- Heroic Mime: Your character doesn't talk in cutscenes, but they do say short lines in-game. As for the heroic part, aside from working for a shady dystopian city, not only do you make good friends along the way, the encounter and talk with Simeon implies that you also have the potential to restore the planet to its former glory with the "Great Change".
- Kukris Are Kool: One of their starter weapons. Also the weapon he's likely to be seen using in a cinematic.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: They lost their memory by getting smacked by an Abductor. This has the effect of completely resetting their sentence back to 1,000,000 years.
- The Leader: They become this throughout the game, and even Natalia comes to acknowledge this fact.
- More Dakka: Among their two starter weapons is the EZ Katze.
- Nerves of Steel: They're the only one who isn't instantly wiped out by Abel's initial attack, and even puts up a fight against him.
- Virtual Paper Doll: The player can customize the Sinner in any way that they desire, and as the player progresses in the game, the player gets more costumes, colors, and stickers to add.
- Whip It Good: All Sinners are equipped with Ibara Hookshots to improve their performance on missions, whether for mobility and dragging Abductors down, or stunning enemies, healing allies, and building protective barriers. As mentioned above, the Ibara Hookshot (Sinner's Thorn in that game) can be obtained in Soul Sacrifice Delta, but sadly it cannot be used to latch onto walls for mobility. On the bright side, the Sinner's Thorn can One-Hit KO Foul Creatures, which the thorn cannot do in its home game since it doesn't deal any damage.
- Worthy Opponent: After surviving multiple encounters with him to the point where the player's character stood up against him with a BladeLock, Abel respects the Sinner as an equal.
An android-like robot that serves as a Sinner's Living Emotional Crutch, surveillance, and combat partner.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: They look very human for an android companion. It's because they are made of human resources.
- Robot Buddy: Not so much in the beginning, where they act more as a cold surveillance, but they start to become this as you advance through the story.
- Servile Snarker: If you die and get revived by them a lot, their lines start to sound quite snarky.Accessory: Revival successful. Please minimize wasteful expenditure of life.
- Virtual Paper Doll: Just like the Sinner, the Accessories are equally customizable.
Beatrice "Lily" Anastasi
A young girl from On High who is found bound by Thorns in a Will'O-charged Cell Garden. She is the daughter of Cesare Anastasi, who mysteriously vanished some time ago. In order to hide her identity, Julien fabricates a sentence for her, allowing her to blend in with the other Sinners at the player's Panopticon.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Sylvia's Cain. Sylvia even nearly succeeds in killing her, before the player jumps in and intervenes.
- Combat Medic: She uses a Healing Thorn.
- Life Drain: Her dagger, Kris, has a chance to drain the health of the enemy she attacks.
- Nice Girl: Is one of the nicest characters in the game alongside Julien.
- Weapon of Choice: Wields a pistol called Polaris, which is exclusive to her.
A rare breed among Citizens, Julien is a kind, young Citizen who is rescued by the player during a Citizen Reclamation mission. He subsequently befriends the player and their team, and becomes a valuable asset in their operations. His nickname is "Little Big Friend".
- Affectionate Nickname: He earns the moniker of "Little Big Friend" for being thankful for your actions.
- Nice Guy: Unlike most Citizens who look down on Sinners, Julien is kind and friendly towards them.
- Non-Action Guy: He's a Citizen, so he's incapable of combat by default.
- Shout-Out: His nickname is one word off from another Sony franchise.
- The Smart Guy: Julien finds a way to nullify the psychic barrier that protects Abel and Red Rage through his research.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Thankfully Averted, as he helps you find a way to take down Abel and Red Rage as a way to pay you back for saving his life.
Mattias "Leo" Bruno
A feisty Sinner and the player's partner-in-crime. His nickname is "The Shazmeister".
- BFS: One of the two weapons he carries.
- Butt-Monkey: He's often the target of snark by the other characters (usually Elfriede), and he's one of the characters who receive the most sentence extensions.
- Combat Medic: He uses a Healing Thorn.
- The Lancer: More or less the player's sidekick throughout the game.
- More Dakka: He uses the Arisaka as an alternate weapon.
Uwe "Sakamoto" Cabrera
The player Sinner's senior, and a veteran Sinner. After the player loses their memories, Uwe is tasked with assisting them with their re-education.
- Action Dad: He's the father of Elfriede, and is a seasoned veteran.
- The Big Guy
- BFG: His other weapon is a rocket launcher.
- Power Fist: One of his two weapons is a pair of knuckles exclusive to him.
- Stone Wall: He uses a Shielding Thorn.
- Team Dad: He's this for the team, often keeping them in control.
Elfriede "Sakamoto" Cabrera
The daughter of Uwe, and a small but hot-headed young girl who has gained fame in the Panopticon for her victories in the Royal Round, an underground brawling ring.
- Badass Adorable: She's a cute looking girl who also happens to be a champion in an underground brawling ring.
- Cute Bruiser: She wields gauntlets similar to her dad's, with hearts on them.
- Power Fist: Wields gauntlets similar to her dad Uwe's.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: She's quite small, but she carries a massive gatling gun that's bigger than her.
Natalia "9" WooA high-ranking officer in the Office of Peace and Stability, or OPS. She keeps unruly Sinners in line by punishing them with extended sentences, and takes pride in every moment of it. Despite being an officer of OPS, she's not above getting her hands dirty in combat.
- Cold Sniper: She wields an SR-42 sniper rifle, befitting her attitude.
- Duel Boss: Sort of. You fight her in the CODE 7 exam, but she summons mooks alongside her.
- Flunky Boss: Summons a bunch of mooks to assault the player during the CODE 7 exam.
- Hidden Depths: During the CODE 7 exam, she reveals to the player that she acts like a hardass because she has to be, in order to maintain stability in the Panopticon, whether she likes it or not.
- Ice Queen: Starts off as this, being quite the hardass to everyone.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Once you defeat her in your CODE 7 exam, she starts showing you some respect, and completely defrosts by the time you finish your sentence.
- Katanas Are Just Better: She wields a Hawkshadow.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's definitely quite cold towards the group, but she genuinely cares for them deep down and will even risk her life in battle to revive them.
- Meganekko: Wears a pair of glasses, adding to her cool and professional attitude.
- Not So Above It All: Would you believe she's Percy Propa?
- She also gets pretty excited when you bring up the League of Panopticons before quickly reverting.
- Not So Stoic: She's very noticeably quite horrified when she notices Abel's arrival on the battlefield.
- Tsundere: Played for Laughs after the CODE 7 exam, where she speaks to you with a more respectful tone, then promptly reverts to her hardass self upon addressing Mattias.
Carlos "Theodosius" JinnahA sly fox among Sinners, Carlos is something of a smug bastard. However, his knowledge about Panopticons is curiously unparalleled. He is secretly a spy sent from On High.
- Action Dad: La Vie en Rose reveals that he has two sons named Manuel and Cyrus.
- Becoming the Mask: While his true colors are much more cruel, it's implied that he grew in too much to his facade, and genuinely regretted betraying the party.
- Blade on a Stick: One of his weapons.
- Hero Killer: Comes very close to this by stabbing the player in the back after defeating the Peltatum.
- The Mole: Revealed to be one near the end of the story. However, he is not the spy that the OPS is looking for.
- Troll: His Establishing Character Moment has him blame the player for losing his glasses, then promptly laughing at their reaction.
Hallard "Hal" "Babe" VittozA youthful Sinner who shares a very tight bond with his sister, Ann.
- Back from the Dead: If you saved Ann, you can revive him in the post-game after completing a mission for Simeon.
- Heroic BSoD: Goes into a major one after Ann dies.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: He's very protective of Ann.
- Too Kinky to Torture: He loves getting belittled and insulted by Natalia, to the point of programming his Accessory to insult him.
Ann "Charm" VittozHal's younger sister.
- Back from the Dead: If you saved Hal, you can revive her in the post-game after completing a mission for Simeon.
- Blade on a Stick: She wields one as her first weapon.
- Break the Cutie: She does not take Hal's death well.
- Combat Medic: She uses a Healing Thorn.
- Good Is Not Soft: She may be a very sweet and kind girl, but she also shows incredible disdain against lazy Sinners.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Like Elfriede, Ann wields a huge gatling gun bigger than her.
Kai "Wolf" SilvaAn old companion of the player Sinner prior to losing their memories.
- Chainsaw Good: He wields an EZ Falke II, which is a chainsaw sword.
- Irony: He uses a Healing Thorn, but he's less likely to revive fallen allies, in contrast to Nina.
Sergio "Hellgate" Cocteau
An elder Sinner who meets the player in Zakka.
- BFG: He wields a Nashorn.
- Cool Old Guy: Sergio looks like he is in his 50's or 60's, but he's a pretty laid-back guy who's willing to help you out on your missions.
- Stone Wall: He uses a Shielding Thorn.
Marie "Arma" MilanA shy Sinner that the player meets in Zakka.
- Ambiguously Gay: Some of her lines indicate she may have a crush on Beatrice.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: She wields Barbara's Easy Blaster.
- Shrinking Violet: She's very shy and struggles to form conversations with others.
- Stone Wall: She uses a Shielding Thorn.
Nina "Elizabeth/Regina" DiazAnother old companion of the player Sinner prior to losing their memories.
- Katanas Are Just Better: She wields a Hawkshadow.
- Nice Girl: She's quite friendly and willing to make relationships with others, unlike Kai.
Shizuka "Faker" RolandAnother Sinner that the player meets in Zakka.
- Carry a Big Stick: She wields a Mimas.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She mentions being hooked on SoChlo and the "white stuff" (sugar).
Billy "Leopard" Koller
- BFG: Billy wields the TB-32/H.
- Delinquent Hair: Billy has a tan pomp.
- Expy: Possibly unintentional, but Billy being a cool-headed delinquent with pomp hair, the occasion to yell "dora", and the ability to create protective barriers reminds the player of Josuke Higashikata.
- Stone Wall: He uses a Shielding Thorn.
Aries M.A girl who resides on the Immaterial Plane, a limbo between life and death. She tasks the player with bringing about "The Great Transformation".
Cesare AnastasiThe father of Beatrice and Sylvia who was thought to have disappeared some time ago.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Entering the Casket basically made him this.
- Disappeared Dad: His disappearance is what drives Beatrice into action.
- Walking Spoiler
SimeonA man who is rumored to be able to grant wishes, although no one can confirm his existence.
- Benevolent Genie: Simeon seems to have no ulterior motives, and he offers wishes without any catches, although you must complete some challenge missions in order to achieve said wishes.
- Big Good: Simeon's goal is to bring On High to its downfall, so that he can bring The Great Transformation.
- Creepy Good: He has a strange appearance, but he is very kind and courteous to the player.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Simeon wears dark clothes and gives off a mysterious vibe, but he's pretty laid-back. His room might come off as Light Is Good in a way.
- Expy: Of Igor from the Persona series, being a mysterious man with a strange appearance, but is very kind and courteous to the protagonist and is willing to help them.
- Retcon: He has the power to do this, as shown when he easily undoes Hal/Ann's death.
- Walking Spoiler
- White Void Room Simeon's lair is this.
Sylvia AnastasiThe younger sister of Beatrice who comes from On High.
- Blade on a Stick: Her main weapon is a Holy Lance.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Implied to be the case, when it's stated that On High can manipulate the emotions of their warriors. She snaps out of it when the player uses Exodus' power against her.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Beatrice's Abel. She even nearly succeeds in killing Beatrice before the player intervenes and defeats her.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivers one to a group of Fraternity thugs in her introduction, and delivers yet another one to Beatrice and the rest of the group near the end. She's quickly on the receiving end of this, courtesy of the player.
- Fantastic Racism: A common trait among all On High residents, she shows an immense disdain towards Sinners, and even shows it against her own sister for "betraying" On High by refusing to return.
- HeelFace Turn: Once she's defeated.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ice cream. It's even the reason why Sylvia isn't as hostile to the player, and her HeelFace Turn in the end is driven by wanting to pay the player back for the ice cream.
Abel "Strafe" BaltA Sinner from the Hourai Panopticon who has gained international infamy for his lethality and thirst for combat. He has "earned" enough sentence extensions that he has worked up a sentence of 9,999,999 years. Despite working for Hourai, he appears to have ulterior motives.
- Big Bad
- Blood Knight: He LOVES to fight and kill.
- Cain and Abel: Metaphorically and by name at least, see Meaningful Name below.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: His Establishing Character Moment has him wipe the floor with everyone, including Natalia of all people. The player, however, manages to stand up to him.
- The Dreaded: Everyone except the player fears him, and with good reason.
- Meaningful Name: Abel's name comes from a Biblical farmer of the same name, and like his namesake, Abel is the first human to be killed on-screen by The Sinner.
- Noble Demon: He may be a Blood Knight extraordinaire, but he only kills those who attacked him first, releases Beatrice instead of killing her after her purpose is done, and even spares the player for having the guts to fight him one-on-one.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He wants mankind to unite and stand together. Except he's doing that by opening the Casket and unleashing horrors upon the world.
- Worthy Opponent: After a short battle that ended in a BladeLock, Abel comes to respect the Sinner for their strength.
Red RageOne of the three Super Prototype Abductor from which all subsequent Abductors attempted to recreate. Red Rage is a Bipedal-type Abductor wielding rocket launchers and lasers, but has the unique ability to regrow its head and arms if they are severed. While normally completely impervious to damage, the player's team develops Augmentations to counteract its power.
- Damage-Sponge Boss: As the prototype to the common Abductors, it takes more hits to take it down.
- Healing Factor: It can regenerate any severed limbs.
- No-Sell: It initially is completely immune to damage, until the group develops Augmentations to neutralize it.
- Non-Elemental: Its parts are used to enhance weapons that have impact damage.
T-Type: RamosaTiger-like Abductors from On High.
- Glass Cannon: They can kill you very quickly and move really fast, but they're easier to drag down compared to other Abductors. However, their @ variants are much more durable, making them literal Lightning Bruisers.
- Heavenly Blue: Ramosa weapons are clad in a heavenly White and Blue color scheme, which fits On High.
- Panthera Awesome: Ramosas are winged robot tigers.
- Shock and Awe: Their parts are used to enhance electricity element weapons.
S-Type: ParadoxaSpider-like Abductors from On High.
- An Ice Person: Their parts are used to enhance ice element weapons.
- Giant Spider/Spider Tank: Paradoxas are basically giant armored robot spiders with missile launchers on their legs.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Paradoxas LOVE to fire missiles willy-nilly, especially while spinning.
- Mighty Glacier: At first, they move slowly, but they hit really hard with their homing missiles and spin attacks, and can also shoot lots of sticky webs to trap you.
- Purple Is Powerful: Paradoxa weapons are clad in a deadly purple, and Ice is considered to be a very powerful element, due to its defence-debuff against Abductor parts.
C-Type: PeltatumA Gazer-like Abductor that appears from the Casket.
- Beam Spam: Its main form of attack is to fire blasts from its chains. It becomes straight up Bullet Hell when it releases the chains.
- Dark Is Evil: The Peltatum that you and your friends encounter is clad in black and red, and it is anything but benevolent.
- Light Is Not Good: Their advanced @-Type varients, Blinding Light, don the white and gold colour scheme as the other @ Abductors. They're still equally dangerous as their original dark counterpart, mind you.
- Eldritch Abomination/Mechanical Abomination: Even moreso than the other Abductors, especially since the "Abductor" has no pod in the first place, something that all Abductors have in common.
- Elemental Powers: Itself and its chains can use several elements.
- Final Boss: Of the main scenario.
- Flunky Boss: Can release the chains from its body, turning them into individual targets.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Its appearance comes out of nowhere, but it is implied to be another creation of On High, albeit much more dangerous than the others.
- Non-Elemental: Its parts are used to enhance Will'O element weapons.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: The Peltatum itself of course (see Dark Is Evil above). In fact, their weapons are clad in the same sinister red and black color scheme, fitting Peltatum's eldritch nature.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: According to the official Japanese guidebook, the Peltatum class Abductor is so powerful and destructive that it can wipe out a Panopticon in a matter of seconds, so On High sealed the Mechanical Abomination into the Casket, fearing that they will be wiped out by their own weapon.
D-Type: DionaeaDragon-like Abductors from On High.
- Bullfight Boss: Dionaea's most common attack consists of charging at you and your friends like a dragon-shaped monster truck while offering very little room to dodge. It doesn't help that this Abductor likes to use this move TWICE in a row!
- The Cameo: Dionaea is a Guest Fighter boss monster in Soul Sacrifice Delta. Breaking its parts drops an offering that mimics Dionaea's rain of fire attack, and while it looks spectacular to use, it is utterly unreliable since it has short range and weak damage. However, breaking all of its parts drops the more useful Sinner's Thorn, which works as a Utility Weapon.
- Cybernetic Mythical Beast: Dionaeas are robot dragons in a post-apocalyptic science-fiction game.
- Hitbox Dissonance: Dionaea's hitboxes are so wonky and huge that they make a Tigrex envious.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Dionaeas pretty much exist for the sake of Rule of Cool.
- Lightning Bruiser: Dionaea-class Abductors are surprisingly agile for their size while taking and inflicting a ton of punishment. Then again, they're built for flight and skirmishing anyways.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Dionaea-class Abductors are cybernetic wyverns with a forked tail whose ends have a snake's head for abducting civilians and Accessories. They even fire a Wave Motion Gun out of their horns for Propa's sakes!
- Playing with Fire: Their parts are used to enhance fire element weapons.
- Wave Motion Gun: Their ultimate attack is a massive laser beam that has infinite range. Touching it is a One-Hit Kill.
Percy PropaThe Panopticon's local mascot who motivates the Sinners to contribute for the greater good with an optimistic smile.
- Beary Friendly: Invoked, as Percy's purpose is to motivate the Sinners to contribute in a friendly and welcoming tone, rather than the hostile scathing tone that most Sinners deal with.
- Beary Funny: Percy makes some pretty entertaining facial expressions whenever he gets angry.
- Funny Animal
- Mascot: Percy is the mascot for both the Panopticon and the game as a whole.
- Meaningful Name: If you can't tell, Propa is short for propaganda, and since his role is to improve the Sinners' morale with a smile, you can do the math.
- Nice Hat: Percy has a neat tall blue hat that appropriately reads "Join, Obey, Work".
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Percy is designed to look adorable, because after all, who motivates you to contribute to your Panopticon other than an orange teddy bear?