Edison Trent ("Freelancer Alpha 1-1")
The main character of Freelancer. After years of apprenticeship on Planet Leeds, Trent sets out to make his fortune. This eventually lands him on Freeport 7 for a major transaction. Then the station is destroyed, costing him everything but his life and 500 credits, forcing him to start again in Liberty.
- Big Damn Heroes: Along with Juni, King and Walker, he arrives just in time to stop President Jacobi from being possessed by aliens.
- Butt-Monkey: Has shades of this in the single-player story-line, over the course of which he's been shot at, knocked out by a stun baton, held at gunpoint, falsely accused of numerous crimes, almost skewered by alien parasites — hell, he's taken more abuse than any other character in the game! All he wants is the million credits his "friend" owes him and a good drink, both of which he never gets. He lampshades this right before the final mission.
- The Call Knows Where You Work: Trent gets dragged into the single-player campaign plot kicking and screaming by this. There's the obvious attack on Freeport 7 that starts the whole shebang, sure, but there's also the fact that he is effectively shanghaied into the LSF in order to escape being stranded on Manhattan, which in turn results in he and Juni being identified as troublesome and targeted for elimination by the Pro-Rheinland/Nomad-infected conspiracy via being framed. And it just keeps going from there...
- Drink Order: Trent's preference is for something called a Sidewinder Fang. Disappointingly, he has to make do with Liberty Ale upon his arrival on Manhattan, before the bartender realizes that Trent is a Freeport 7 survivor, takes pity on him, and gives him a bit of "the good stuff" from behind the bar.
- Embarrassing First Name: Edison Trent. He usually just introduces himself by his surname for this reason. In fact, until Tobias mentions it, it goes almost entirely unheard of outside of his neural logs.
- Guns Akimbo: While shooting the Chancellor Trent does this because the Nomad controlling the former was centimetres away from taking control of Liberty President Jacobi. That, combined with Rule of Cool and the mission being a life-or-death one.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: One of his first acts upon arriving on planet Manhattan on the medical transport from the Sigma systems is to seek out the local bar for a drink. There, he meets Juni.
- Last of His Kind/The Remnant: By the mid-point of the game, he is the only remaining survivor of the destruction of Freeport 7; Lonnigan, the Artifact thief, and Brandon Rowlett are all knocked off one-by-one in front of him, and others are noted on the news to have died in LSF custody.
- Noodle Incident: Part of the reason why Trent left Bretonia in the first place was apparently because he somehow managed to annoy the entire Bretonian government. It's never made clear exactly what this was about, as it is never alluded to beyond it's one mention.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Trent is Bretonian (aka, British), and his father-figure Tobias has a rather prominent British accent, but Trent himself sounds very much American.
- Outrun the Fireball: In the single player campaign, any station Trent sets foot on has roughly a two-thirds chance of being blown up within two minutes, so he becomes a professional at this.
- Here a list of the places that blew up after Trent set foot on it: Freeport 7, Benford Research Station, the Planet Sprague dig site and Docking Ring, Baxter Research Station, Tekagi's Arch and Planet Toledo's base and Docking Ring.. Crikey.
- Universal Pilot's License: Flying a freighter is undoubtedly very different from flying a Heavy Fighter, and the different houses probably have different control schemes for their ships, but Trent has no problem flying anything he buys.
Liberty Security Force (LSF)
Commander Jun'ko Zane
A senior LSF agent who serves as Trent's handler within Liberty. She later goes on the run with him when they are both the subjects of a Frame-Up.
- Ace Custom: Flies her own modified Liberty Defender heavy fighter.
- Action Girl: Both in her fighter and on the ground.
- Friend on the Force: Trent is just a freelancer; she's his contact within the LSF.
- The Lancer: To Trent.
- The Not-Love Interest: Despite potential instances of Ship Tease with Trent.
Juni's friend within the LSF, who also helps keep tabs on Trent.
- Friend on the Force: Trent's other contact within the LSF, aside from Juni.
Captain Marcus Walker
A Liberty Navy officer who helps Trent and Juni investigate the threat of the Nomads:
- Big Damn Heroes: Gives Trent and Juni their crucial opening when they are blockaded in Planet Manhattan orbit after a Frame-Up.
- The Captain: Of a Liberty Navy cruiser sporting a definite BFG.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Ends up pulling one of these against tall odds to allow Trent, Juni and the Order to prevail.
The current president of Liberty.
- Our Presidents Are Different: Her position is clearly modeled after the President of the United States of America back on Earth.
- Puppet King: Is targeted for assimilation by the Nomads; first Rheinland's Admiral Schultzky tries to come to Manhattan to have her taken over by a Nomad, before Chancellor Niemann later abducts her in an attempt to impose the same fate in the Alaska system.
Another Freeport 7 survivor, who came to Planet Manhattan alongside Trent.
- Action Survivor: Barely escapes Freeport 7 with his life; the first we see of him, he is being carted away by medics as soon as he arrives at Planet Manhattan.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Appears to be overly paranoid and jumpy.
- The Cloud Cuckoolander Was Right: In that the destruction of Freeport 7 was no accident. Ultimately, it was caused by the Nomads, who were seeking to destroy the MacGuffin of the story.
- Properly Paranoid: Firmly believes that the destruction of Freeport 7 was no accident — which is indeed the case.
- You Owe Me: Initially, Trent is only interested in Lonnigan because Lonnigan owes Trent a million credits for a load of boron that Trent was shipping. Trent never gets his money, as the plot takes off shortly thereafter.
Professor Hermann Van Pelt
An Artifact trafficker with the Liberty Rogues.
- Starter Villain: The first significant enemy that Trent faces as he embarks on his career as a freelancer. Juni and the LSF send Trent to the Colorado system to intercept him as he tries to smuggle Artifacts into the New York system.
- Un-person: He soon vanishes as the Nomads' plot thickens in Liberty space, cluing Juni in to the fact that something is very wrong.
Another survivor of the Freeport 7 disaster, who comes to Liberty space thereafter.
- Action Survivor: Of Freeport 7, just like Trent.
- Vagueness Is Coming: He tries to warn Trent of unspecified machinations within Liberty's government, but won't detail his information in public.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Less than a minute after meeting Trent, he and his ship get blown away in a Curb-Stomp Battle by a trio of Nomad-controlled Liberty Navy fighters.