open/close all folders
- Watchmen:Nina smiled warmly but that smile felt like someone was stabbing your heart a hundred times. "So you have heard about us? I'm flattered," she continued. "I wanted to talk to you personally to congratulate you on a job well done.""Well, the portal's closed, and your plans have failed. Illunii won't be invaded anytime soon," Vitani grunted."The portal is only a minor loss in the big picture. What I got instead will be much more useful for my horde in the long run," Nina said in a mocking tone. "The poor Sinlarine girl aided my cause without knowing it by shattering her magical scepter with hopes of stopping my minions; instead she caused something beyond her imagination. Jezebeth's scheme involving her was only the icing on an already delicious cake which I had baked long in advance. The scepter she shattered had an exact copy in Thanatos's laboratory, but neither she nor the elven fool realized the true meaning behind the term Twins and what powers one scepter would possess if its twin was ever destroyed. They thought the term Twins either referred to two powerful shades or the two books of prophecy... exactly as I planned."Xolkai hurried to the bookshelves in the laboratory, searching for the scepter... but found nothing. "What have you done?" he hissed."Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?" The archdemon raised her arm, revealing the distinct form of a scepter, the exact twin copy of the one Deidra had once held. "I had another minion in the Barca manor, and she delivered this scepter to me four days ago." She had a warm, motherly smile on her human face, which was a creepy constrast to her burning demonic eyes.
- 300:"This is madness!" Ferron cried out. "Even if all of us somehow decided to help Maar Sul, it'd nevertheless take quite some time to organize..."The baron grinned. "Madness? You're wrong. This... is... REMON! This is what the Grand Alliance is all about! Are you with me?"
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:Fonzie looked at Ted nervously. In response to this the little monkey pulled out his own service dagger and raised it in solidarity."Right, it's decided then. Nice knowing you, Ted."And with that, they both screamed and shoved the blind lunatic at the cyclops.
- Conan the Barbarian (1982):Varalia's eyes grew wide. No matter how much she struggled, the Pirate King's grip on her arm was firm, and he was slowly bending her arm so she'd drop the dagger...and then he'd have his way with her. She knew that look in his eyes all too well as the pleasant facade was dropped. It was the same look she had seen in the eyes of Zarnagon and Hiroki Hyuga all those years ago, and even in the eyes of Gilgamesh: men who got what they wanted no matter what.Was this how it was going to end? With her being subdued yet again, to be left in the mercy of another man who would tarnish her? She couldn't bear it, not anymore, not when she'd been saved from certain death. It couldn't have all been in vain! And at this moment of desperation, words from the past came to her...words she had heard a long time ago from the mouth of the man who had branded her with the mark of the God of War and helped her seize her destiny. Words which had affected her that she remembered them even now, decades later..."Nergal...if you're listening to me, hear me," Varalia grunted as she struggled against the Pirate King. "I know I've prayed rarely because I have no tongue for it; I've been beaten too many times to open my mouth without a good reason. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good or bad when we were first made. Why we fought, or why we died, or when we first discovered the answer to the riddle of steel. All that matters is that your clergy rose to fight in your name to change this world, and that we stood against the might of the many no matter how many times we were struck down..."Kuro Tori laughed. "<<Don't bother with such foolishness, woman. No one can save you now from the wrath of Tiamat! Make it easy on yourself and give up before I break your arm!>>""The fight must continue; that's what's important! Valor and resilience pleases you, Nergal, my lord...and have I not shown both by surviving this long? If so, grant me but one request. Grant me revenge in your name! And if you do not listen, then to Hell with you!" Varalia screamed as her body tensed. She could feel pain in the mark of War, as if it was on fire. When she focused on Kuro Tori and looked into his eyes, she saw the same fire in her eyes in that reflection.
- The Dark Knight:"Come on, just a kiss, wench!" His captive simply spat at his face, making him blink in surprise but did nothing to loosen his steel grip. An amused chuckle escaped from the soldier, a dark grin making its way across his face. "So, looks like you have some fight left in you. I like that!""Then you're going to love me."The soldier had enough time to register that the sultry whisper had not come from his captive before Uminoko drove her blade through the back of his throat.
- Dr. Strangelove:"Gentlemen, please don't fight in here. We're not in the war room at the moment," a man twirling his red, long moustache interrupted them in a clearly condescending tone.
- Gilda:It was then Raul's recognizable voice suddenly spoke, interrupting the girl's thoughts. "Haruko, I've got a man here who would like to ask you some questions for him and his fellow's research into your family, we're trying to trace what happened to them," he said. "Are you decent?"Haruko glanced at her white kimono, noticing to her surprise that she hadn't quite tied it up properly when she had exited the hot spring in a hurry and that it was showing some cleavage.Adulterer!"Me? Sure. I'm... decent," the girl answered Raul's inquiry and quickly adjusted the kimono to cover herself up properly while trying to ignore the accusatory voice in her head, the voice which made her heart ache all of a sudden.
- Ghostbusters (1984):
"What do you have in mind, Master Balthazar?" Councillor Gertrude asked. "This magic spreading from the cleric will soon grow too strong for even us to handle even though Councillor Malek is doing his best to keep things under control.""I've experienced a similar phenomenon in the past when I worked in the Grey Cult. Although I've seen the light since those dark days, High Prophet Xerathas did teach the cult some useful tricks, one of which should help us today," Balthazar replied. "All high-level mages here must pool their magic together into a single beam of mana and shoot it at the cleric.""That's presposterous! Every mage worth his license knows that one should never cross the beams!" Councillor Malek gasped. "It would cause untold destruction if so many high-level mages tried to do that!"
- During the Beacon incident in Alent:
The crystal shook all of a sudden and shattered. The warm liquid touched Ronald and Mary, and the pair turned to see what was going on.A man emerged from the shattered crystal and walked towards them. He stopped in front of the naked pair, and his dark eyes focused on the girl."Are you a god?" the man asked."Uhh...no?" Mary muttered, confused by this sudden turn of events. She blinked and quickly added: "My Pa makes some godly fried chicken though—""Then...DIE!" the man growled in response and drew out his sword in the blink of an eye. Before the pair could react, he decapitated the girl with one clean swing.
- Arrival of the Destroyer:
- The Grey:Jacob's eyes focused ahead while ignoring the Scun's comment. "That voice, faint as it is, sounds oddly...familiar," he muttered, gripping his sword. "Could it be a trap, though?""Only one way to find out," Jason smirked and motioned at Jacob and the mob. "A song echoes around us; it must be a sign! As the bards of old once sang, it's time to go once more into the fray, into the last good fight we'll ever know."
- Kingdom of Heaven:Khalid's eyes moved from the grisly scene to the massive army of undulating red that stood there in the horizon like a force of nature. Then he turned to Razoul, tears filling his proud eyes perhaps for the first time in a long while as he realized the futility of it all."You're a monster," the Sultan whispered to the black man, his voice cracking. He clenched his fists and had to lean on the wall for support.Razoul's fingers wandered absent-mindedly on the surface of his father's bloodstained Ebony Helmet. "I am what I am. Someone has to be," he muttered and turned to the guards.
- Memento:Gekrepten sat in her cell and stared at the wall. "How did it end up like this?" she asked herself out loud."Well," replied the guard outside. "I'd say the wall ended up like that mostly because of neglect. We don't really get janitors to clean the cells I suppose, seems like a waste of time really. And all that moss ended up there because of all the dampness. Dampness creates moss y'know. Yeah, moss'll do that to a wall. It's that hole in the roof y'see, y'know, where the water comes through. Yeah, whenever it rains the water seeps through and..."Gekrepten sighed, ignoring the guard. "How did it all end up like this?"Three years earlier...Gekrepten stood in front of the castle in Myridia. In all honesty she didn't think this would work, but she was desperate, so she set off in order to meet with the king.Two months earlier...Makoto was enjoying his banana crepes when something at the window caught his attention. Looking over, he saw there was a carpie just outside, and it had something in its beak. Makoto hurried over to the window and saw it was carrying an envelope so he took it out and opened it up. Inside he found a letter and a picture. The king! It worked! We are saved!Makoto did a double take and looked at the letter again. "...hot...body???"Three minutes earlier...Temporarily blinded, the eagle had no choice but to abort the attack, leaving the carpie to escape, only now the carpie was completely lost. The carpie bird decided it needed some R and R, so it headed down for the forest and settled down on a window sill. "Mmm...banana crepes..." it thought.Five minutes earlier...As the carpie flew into a clearing, an eagle quickly descended upon him, the eagle's talons narrowly missing the carpie's body. The carpie dodged and evaded the attacking eagle for a while but the carpie knew that it wouldn't be able to dodge forever. With this in mind, the carpie suddenly ascended and then positioned itself over the eagle, and then used its only form attack. It did a big sloshy poop on the eagles head.Ten minutes earlier..."Why the hell did you do that?" the officer demanded. "Don't you know that's one of the worst crimes you can commit in this country?""I...it was an accident," Thomas replied."Oh yeah, well that's for the courts to decide!"The officer was approached by a soldier. "We found something in the beak, sir.""What is it?" asked the officer."Well there's a picture of a naked lady and...a note.""I'll take the picture," the officer said. "Ill give it a thorough examination later. Now what does the note say? Read it out."The soldier looked around, embarrassed. "Ooh ooh ahh eee chikka chikka bikko bokkity boo, sir."Three minutes earlier...Thomas examined the bow that was sitting outside on the table. Picking it up, he realised it was elven. He always wanted to shoot an elven bow, so he did. He shot an arrow into the air. Unfortunately for Thomas, a carpie happened to be occupying that air. I guess unfortunately for the carpie too, seeing as how it plummeted to the ground and died. Though Thomas really was the unfortunate one here, seeing as he had just committed one of the worst crimes in Aison, right in the middle of the annual law enforcement Mardi Gras.Six minutes earlier, in Reno...Vauldorf checked the letter again, before he gave it to the carpie.It read:Well, how do like my new look? I did it just for you, you know. We'll have to meet up sometime, but don't come to me, I'll come to you.P.S. I bet you can't resist my hot body now!Vauldorf smirked to himself as he put the letter and a picture of himself into the carpies beak. "Hehehe, with this new haircut, Sarah will be putty in my hands!"Vauldorf watched as the carpie flew off and left Reno. Then Vauldorf realised he had written the whole letter in monkey language. "CRAP!"Eight minutes earlier...Vauldorf got a haircut.Twelve minutes earlier, at the Magestar...Gekrepten hurriedly put the message and the picture into the carpie and then sent it on its way. Now she just had to get out of the Magestar unseen, and everything would have worked out perfectly.Twenty minutes earlier...The woman looked in the mirror and studied her face. It had worked. She noticed something engraved into the glass of the mirror "Gekrepten Glassworks." The woman then grabbed a piece of paper and some ink, and quickly began to sketch.Seven minutes earlier..."I need to go to the toilet," Henry said to the other guard. "I'll be back in a sec.""I need to go too," said the other guard.Henry groaned and walked off to the toilet, with the other guard following behind.Mungo-Mungo took this opportunity to sneak into the room. Inside there were many scrolls and potions, and soon Mungo-Mungo found the one he was looking for.The label read: "Polymorphism. If accidentally swallowed consult a doctor/vet, depending on symptoms."Mungo-Mungo took a swig of the potion and suddenly felt a change begin inside his body.Six minutes earlier...Mungo-Mungo navigated the hallways of the Magestar, until he came across the room he was looking for. Unfortunately, two soldiers were standing guard outside it."You need to go to the toilet, Henry?" asked one of the soldiers."No," Henry replied."Neither do I," the other soldier replied."Are you sure?" Henry asked. "Because you always seem to need to go when I do.""...no I don't."Thirty minutes earlier...King Mungo-Mungo Coconuts Boonana XXXIII looked up at the Magestar in awe. He had finally made it. If everything went to plan, Monkey Land would be saved.Sixty-Nine years earlier..."Congratulations, you've got a beautiful baby boy." The midwife handed the baby to the mother. "What will you call him?""Vauldorf," the mother replied, smiling at her baby."Can I have a hold?" the father asked.The mother nodded and sat up to hand over the baby. She leaned forward but she lost her grip and dropped the baby on its head on the ground.Mrs Springer looked around the room nervously. "Surely one little drop on the head can't hurt him, can it?"
- The Princess Bride:The dark-haired man blinked. "I've never seen you before! Get out before you get hurt!""Was I so insignificant back then that you didn't even bother to memorize me even though I told you that this day would come? Very well, Wanderer. Let me introduce myself once more. Listen closely, because the following words will be the last ones you'll ever hear," the count said and pointed his staff at the man. "Hello!. My name is Belial de Ardyn. You killed my brother. Prepare to die!"Elsewhere, a six-fingered man suddenly snapped, "Will you stop saying that!?!?"His companion looked puzzled. "Saying what?""Never mind, it just seemed like the right thing to say at the time. Fancy some more magic mushrooms?"
- During the duel between Maple and Glaurung:Maple faltered briefly, but then resumed her magical attacks. "I know nothing about your brat, only that you've upset some very powerful people and they want you dead."Every attack was countered in turn by Glaurung. "You think I'll believe that? You don't know who you're fucking with. Take this back to your masters: You kill him, you kill yourself, you motherfuckers! GIVE ME BACK MY SON!"Mel Gibson popped out of a tent, accompanied by a pair of lawyers. "Um, excuse me," he began, "But you can't say that, it's a famous line from my—"Maple cut him off with a snarled "Incende!" and Mel and his lawyers burst into flames.
- Glaurung's message:The sky sparkled with magic above the western lands of Libaterra, in the area controlled by the Crimson Coalition. A shining, projected image of Commander Glaurung Losstarot appeared above the awed people all around the countryside. She was clad in full green armor and helmet and looked more menacing than ever before."Greetings, brave men and women of the Coalition! I have grave news that I wish to share with you: my son, Hannibal Losstarot, was kidnapped for ransom a few days ago, and our enemies in Alent and Maar Sul collaborated in this foul deed," she said, and a drawing of Hannibal appeared next to her. "This is a recent sketch of my son. Sweetie, if you're watching this, I love you."Then the magical image expanded, showing Glaurung standing in a room full of gold coins, jewels and other valuables. "And this... well, this is what waits for the bastards that took my son away from me. This is your ransom. Two million gold pieces, just like you wanted. But... this is as close as you'll ever get to it. You'll never see any of this money, because no ransom will ever be paid for my son. Do you hear me? Not even one coin!"Glaurung held a dramatic pause before she continued. "Instead, I'm offering this money as a reward on your heads, dear kidnappers. Dead or alive, it doesn't matter. Congratulations, you've just become a two million gold piece lottery ticket... except the odds are much, much better. Do you know anyone who wouldn't turn you in for two million gold pieces? I don't think you do. I doubt it. So, wherever you go and whatever you do, this money will be tracking you down for all time. And if I ever get my hands on you bastards, I'll make you wish you had never kidnapped my son!""But... and this is your last chance... if you return my son alive and uninjured, I'll withdraw the bounty. With any luck you can simply disappear. Understand this... you'll never see this money. Not one coin. So, you still have a chance to do the right thing. If you don't, may the gods be with you, because nobody else on this world will be!"The magical image of Glaurung disappeared, and the skies became still once more.
- During the duel between Maple and Glaurung:
- Snakes on a Plane:Meanwhile, Ax was locked in a duel to the death with her own worst nightmare, the Soap.She laughed harshly as her blade finally met Soapflesh, cleanly slicing it in half. "Take that, you bastard!"The two halves sank to the ground slowly... then, to Ax's horror, rose up again, swiftly growing to form two complete Soaps.Ax narrowed her eyes. "Oh, give me a break! I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS ''MOTHERFUCKING'' SOAP IN THESE ''MOTHERFUCKING'' RUINS!"
- Titanic (1997):The two lovers stood at the bow of the ship, one behind the other, pressed gently to the railing. Fingers intertwined, they raised their hands until they were standing with arms outstretched on each side... like wings, perhaps. When they tilted their heads a certain way, there was nothing in their field of vision but water. It was like there was no ship under them at all, just the two of them soari—"What the hell are you idiots doing?" an annoyed female voice demanded.Startled, the two men stumbled backwards sheepishly. Jose blushed. Rack managed to stammer, "My apologies, Captain. We were just... ah... testing something."Ax raised an eyebrow. "Testing something, you say?""Yes, Captain," Rack mumbled. "We just—""Oh, stop," Ax interrupted. "I don't even want to know. Just get out of here already."With a sigh of relief, Rack and Jose scrambled away. Ax shook her head in amusement.
- Tombstone:At last, the Sinlarine man's guests got up and left. Relaxing a bit, Ax sauntered to the table and plopped down, her half-finished mug of ale sloshing about wildly. "A Sinlarine, a Fraquid and a dwarf walk into a bar...sounds like the start of a lousy joke," Ax snickered, leaning back in her chair. "And oh, can't forget the loud asshole in shining armor. Who was the big ugly bastard, anyway? Swinging around a sword that big...gotta be compensating for something, don't ya think?"Corwin's gloomy expression made it clear that he was not in the mood for joking. "You shouldn't concern yourself with these matters, Ax. But that man is known as the Destroyer, or Gilgamesh. Supposedly a warrior without equal."Ax snorted, her drink still sloshing about, threatening to spill at any moment. "A warrior without equal, eh? Never heard of him. What do you think? Should I hate him?""You don't even know him," Corwin said flatly."Yeah, but there was just something about him. Something around the eyes...I don't know, reminds me of..." Ax trailed off, suddenly sitting up straight. "Me. No, I'm sure of it. I hate him!"
Live Action TV
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:
Skye's eyes grew wide as she looked into Refan's eyes. "I can't believe it! All this time, after everything we've been through...you lie to me, your wife? Why? How could you?"Refan saw the look in his warrior's eyes and realized his control had slipped. Why had he gotten so agitated about Gabriel? If he had pushed thoughts of his son away and focused on Skye alone, she would've already been his. He still felt angry that Gabriel had been lured to Threshold by Kaisa, no doubt, and he'd make the girl pay for endangering his son. But first, he'd have to win Skye over and make her his again. The burning need of desire was too strong to ignore anymore..."Look, let's make this clear. I didn't want to disturb you needlessly...so I may have said one thing but meant another. But the truth is that I was on a mission. It didn't start out as personal...but I made it so in order to be reunited with you, Skye," Refan explained, releasing his grip. "I was a thief who had been driven into a corner, surrounded by enemies who required my assistance, the only reason they kept me alive. I had a job.""Your eyes tell me everything. You've killed several people by now, haven't you? I know that you've attempted to kill or hurt even more such as Kaisa, while serving those 'enemies'! You even wore that...that Northern Horde's colors the last time we met!" Skye pointed out. "Perhaps you've pillaged and raped with them, too! What are you going to do? Rape me now...or kill me if I refuse? I still remember the look you gave me and Ax...the woman you wanted to hold in your arms so passionately! My mind was hazy for a moment, but that must've been one of the tricks your new comrades taught you, right? But I can see past the illusion now! This...this is just like that last time in the inn when you fled, isn't it? You...you're still the same like before!""Skye, don't say things like that. I'd never hurt you," the thief countered.The warrior narrowed her eyes. "And yet you allow your new...friends to rampage through the city, attacking people, including your former Alliance comrades, by the dozen? The man I once knew would never let that happen! He'd fight—""You think I had a part in that? That I'd let them do anything to you?" Refan gasped. "You know how I feel about you, Skye!"Skye waited for a moment before she spoke. "So, even though you've been lying to everyone about everything, wanted another woman for yourself when your current one didn't satisfy you enough, and killed and harmed those who stood in your way, you're saying that your feelings for me...""...are still real, Skye," Refan said soothingly, staring at the woman. His wife. "They always have been. Ax, you and I will live happily ever after...just like we were always meant to be."Skye's look turned to one of shock before she grimaced. "I...I'm going to throw up."Refan frowned. "You...you think this has been easy for me? Do you have any idea how hard it was?" he hissed. "The sacrifices, the decisions I had to make...but I made them! Because that's what I do. I'm a survivor!""No. You've become a monster...just like your brother. I tried to deny it and cling to hope...but I see now it's futile. We were too late. The darkness within has already consumed you," Skye sighed. "We've both changed, and I've realized something. Remember how when we talked about your heritage all those years ago, you said I wouldn't like the real you, the demon underneath? You know what? You were right.""Skye, please." The thief looked at his wife and suddenly felt heavy, like great weight had been put on his shoulders. "Someday...someday you'll understand.""No, I won't. That time's long gone. I...I was a fool to believe things could return to the way they were...after you sold your humanity, your friends, and most importantly your own family, for power," Skye said gravely. The look in her eyes had changed. It was no longer one of despair or shock...now her eyes were full of grim determination, the likes of which Refan hadn't seen in a long time. "I will never, ever give you what you want, Reffie. You're no longer the man I once fell in love with. That man is dead now, consumed by the monster."
- During Refan and Skye's reunion:
"You can't play mute forever, Gabriel," the dark-haired man said, scratching his stubble, as he finally made eye contact with the teen and broke the tense silence. "It's been, what? A week since we last talked? Whatever. This is not how to treat your father, not when things are like...this."Gabriel narrowed his eyes, crossing his arms. "You're nothing like a father anymore, Refan. You're a rogue. No, you're a monster, a murderer! You leave a trail of death wherever you go! Why Kaisa's dad, those Alentians or whoever the hell they were let you run away like that is beyond me, considering what you've done to this city, to all of us!"Refan d'Zarnagon sighed, his eyes staring into his son's eyes. "You know calling me by my given name alone hurts me? I'm the one who sired you, after all, so you should have the courtesy to address me as such; say or think whatever you want, but blood never lies. I will always be your father, whether you like it or not."He paused for a while before continuing, choosing each word carefully. "And the other things you said, they...well, they're all true, but you need to understand something. My little boy, you, was taken from me, and my world fell apart. I still vividly remember our final day together in that Remonian cottage, just the three of us, before the Cardian inquisitors showed up and burned it all down, separating us from each other while seemingly killing your mother, my wife, in the process. That was the worst day of my life. When Ferron, their wretched leader, told me later what he had done to your mind with his magic to ensure I'd dance to his tune, I felt anger unlike anything I'd felt before, even surpassing what I felt during the night I lost my friends in Ravensworth, or when I lost my...mother, your grandmother, to brigands who burned our home down, who made me an orphan."Gabriel remained silent, so Refan continued all the while observing his body language. "Ferron and his bloodhounds hurt you in ways I can't even imagine. You, my flesh and blood, my only son! And I hope you'll never remember whatever horrors those Cardians did to you as they proved to me without a doubt that monsters exist in Light just as they exist in Darkness. Clerics of Cardia and Mardük took what I cared for away from me, forced me into becoming who I am today!" His voice grew louder and louder as rage was close to overcoming him. "The gods...they have played our family for pawns for far too long! I only wish Cardia and Mardük would've died sooner and in even greater pain for what they did to us...what their lingering minions still do to us to this very day in their attempt to turn us against each other. They've all tried to take away the happiness we deserve as a family!"Refan stepped towards his son, only to see the boy back away with his fists clenched. The half-demon stopped in his tracks and sighed again. "I...I'm sorry for that outbrust, Gabriel. I wasn't always like...this, you know. When you were first born, your mother and I were so happy despite the harsh conditions we lived in away from everything and everyone else. Even before that, we had adventures together, facing many challenges as a couple. Skye made me remember what it felt like to feel joy again after so many years of facing darkness. Her kiss brought a heart I thought was long gone back to life with strength that surprised me. Back then, in the days of the war against Yamato, I had friends who supported me and who I supported in return.""So, what happened?" Gabriel countered coldly. "Where are those precious friends of yours now, huh? And where is mom, for that matter? Oh, that's right, I forgot; the last time I saw her, you were trying to hurt her just like you tried to hurt your friends who then turned their backs on you...just like she did when she saw what you had become. When I saw what you tried to do to mom, well, I wasn't going to let the same thing happen to her that happened to that...that inquisitor in the snow with bite marks all over him, when you showed me for the first time what kind of creature you really were inside. I'm never going to let you hurt mom, not as long as I live and breathe. Mom was the one who came after me, not you! She saved me from those clerics, she brought me with her here, facing all kinds of dangers, just to find you! And where were you? Killing people, having fun with your new demon friends, trying to shack up with that woman, Ax, like mom was air to you! You're despicable!"Refan bit his lip and moved his hand through his dark hair, averting his eyes at last from his son's intense stare which hurt him more than any stab in the leg or cutting of a hamstring ever would. He felt cold. So cold. "This...this is the thing I want to say, so just hear me out for a while longer, okay? I...I'm sorry that I couldn't be there for you when you needed me the most, that I couldn't protect you, that I didn't become someone who'd earn your respect despite my best efforts. I know I'm flawed and a terrible disappointment, just like my father, your grandfather, was to me when he didn't save my brother and mother when he could've done so, when he used me to further his dark agenda. But...I want you to know that I'm here now, and everything that's about to happen is supposed to happen. I'm going to take care of you from now on, I swear that on my mother's grave.""Then get me out of here!" Gabriel spat.This time it was the half-demon's turn to frown. "Maybe I haven't been clear, son, or maybe you're too angry to understand what is going on. You're exactly where you're supposed to be now. This is your destiny, Gabriel."Gabriel's nostrils flared, and he straightened up. His stare was even more intense now if that was possible. "You can't say you're sorry, or that losing me ruined your life, and then kidnap me and see that my destiny is to be locked up with you and...and Team Distreyd! It's crazy and it's creepy...and I'm out of here!" He stormed to the door and opened it, only to come face to face with two muscular and tall men standing guard who blocked the way. He glared at his father. "Tell these freakshows to get out of the way! Now!"Refan hurried to the door, smiling sheepishly at the two guards who stared coldly at the pair. "Don't mind this. Just a little misunderstanding, that's all. As you were," he said quickly to the guards and closed the door before they could respond. He saw Gabriel back down with fists raised that indicated that the boy was ready to fight. Refan raised his hands in the air to indicate he had no ill intentions as he, too, backed away from the door. "Trust me, Gabriel. They don't matter. After Alent has fallen, none of them will matter.""Of course they matter!" Gabriel shouted. "You work for Distreyd Thanadar, the damn high cleric of Chaos or whatever asshole god he serves! Not only that, you also have demon allies too, for crying out loud! They're the bad guys. That makes you a bad guy!""No, I don't work for Distreyd!" Refan growled, his eyes flashing red. "I needed him and the Northern Horde to help me find you, my son, to put our family back together!" He breathed in and out before he continued in a calmer tone, forcing a strained smile on his face. "It's not your fault, Gabriel. Don't worry. Daddy's gonna make it all right just like he did to you back home. I said it once, and I'll say it again: no matter what happens to us from now on, I'll never abandon you again. Never. You mean the world to me...and you're the only one I have left now, the only one that matters."
- During Refan and Gabriel's reunion:
- Babylon 5:"From the Time of Four it began, in the Time of One it will end. So it is with you: four you must conquer before you can reach the one. Four simple questions from the dawn of dawns you must answer to bare your soul at the hour of dusk, but sometimes the simplest ones are the hardest to answer for they reach into the very core of your being, transcending past, present and future. Answer, but choose your answers carefully. Lack the courage, strength, wisdom and humility, and your answers shall be your last."The voice grew stronger as it spoke and then, without warning, it asked four questions one after the other, leaving them echoing in the air around Oscar:"These the ancients answered at the dawn of dawns, to awaken at last, to become whole. So tell me: Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"
- Blackadder:"There is no time for tears," she said, "If Father is truly dead, then I shall be Queen. I have to show my people that I am ready for that, even if I am confident in his safety.""Why are you so sure he's OK?" inquired a Maar Sulais maid."He's terribly smart," Maple replied. Then, a moment later, amended. "For a Scun."Outside, a throng of agitated Scuns waited for a speech."You're on, Highness," said an aide."One moment. Maid, fetch me two pencils and my underpants."Puzzled, the aides looked on as the vertically-challenged Princess of Scundia stretched a pair of underpants over her head and inserted two pencils into her nose and marched out to meet the waiting crowd."Wibble," she announced.Then she vomited.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:It was then Varalia heard the woman in white aboard the Seastrider begin her song. It was a sad and beautiful tune like the songs she had heard that graceful bard sing before: when she had first entered the Cove aboard Makoto's ship, and later at the docks of the Cove when she'd been fighting Gilgamesh who had broken her and tossed her into the sea to drown. And just like those songs, this song, too, stirred something in her heart:"I touch the fire and it freezes meI look into it and it's blackWhy can't I feel,My skin should crack and peelI want the fire back"The past two weeks aboard the Moldy Crow had been rather interesting, to say the least. Even if Uminoko had more or less blackmailed her into serving her needs before allowing her to accompany the crew on the voyage, Varalia didn't deny that, despite their rather shady deal, what had followed hadn't been all that unpleasant."Now through the smoke he calls to meTo make my way across the flameTo save the dayOr maybe melt awayI guess it's all the same"Varalia couldn't help but wonder if the bard was singing and basing this on something that happened to her in the past, or if her act was simply so convincing that she made you believe the pain behind the lyrics. It was then the elf suddenly coughed. First once, then twice. She quickly took out a handkerchief, covered her mouth with it and coughed a few more times until she managed to steady her breath again. As she took out the handkerchief, she glanced at it, seeing blood. It was a grim reminder of what future had in store for her now that the symptoms had become visible."So I will walk through the fire'Cause where else can I turn?I will walk through the fireAnd let it—"Silk's voice wavered a bit, and she coughed, which briefly interrupted her song. She pulled her cloak tighter around her to keep herself warm, and continued her song from the next verse. However, Varalia's thoughts had only briefly been interrupted before she continued pondering where her Blood Fever infection would lead her.Belief had gotten her all this way, and it would lead her to the end...of everything. She found the rather somber lyrics of the bard's song oddly fitting, as if they were coinciding with or reinforcing what she was currently thinking of."So one by one they turn from me,I guess my friends can't face the coldBut why I froze,Not one among them knowsAnd never can be told"As she finished this quiet prayer to the God of War, she suddenly felt the ship she was on rock gently even though this spot had been dead calm earlier. She saw people hurrying to and fro and some people pointing in the water, the same actions being repeated aboard the Seastrider and the Morning Star, just as Silk's song was about to reach its heartwrenching climax:"These endless days are finally ending in a blazeAnd we are caught in the fireThe point of no returnSo we will walk through the fireAnd let it..."At that moment, the sea serpent rose from the water head-first in all its scaly glory with a mighty splash, its jaws reaching for the now glowing Dusk. During the chaos which had been unleashed, Silk concluded her song, finally finishing the last word of the previously interrupted chorus:"...burn!"
- Doctor Who:"So how will we know that we've reached this... time machine?" Refan huffed. "I'd hate to be buried alive so I sincerely hope you're not pulling our leg, professor.""Don't worry. The TARDIS is quite easy to spot. It looks like a phone booth," the Lindworm replied.The thief blinked. "A what?""A phone booth. It's short for a phonetics booth which is used in grammar schools. People enunciate in the booth; it was originally built for Scuns who had trouble pronouncing words properly."Refan rolled his eyes. "I know what that means; my brother used to joke that if I didn't learn to pronounce 's' and 'r' properly before I went to school, I'd end up in a phone booth with Scuns. But what does TARDIS stand for? It sounds like 'retard.'""You're half correct. The name itself has nothing to do with retards but its designers, the Scuns, could be classified as such as they gave it quite a... unique name. TARDIS is short for Traumatic Ass-Raping Discontinuity Isolator-Stripper. I'm sure you understand why we prefer to abbreviate the full Scunnish name and just call it TARDIS in academic circles.""That name makes no sense! What the hell does a stripper have to do with discontinuity?" Refan gasped. "Wait! You're just joking, right? There's no logical way that idiots like Scuns could've created something so advanced... unless the future has gone straight to hell."
- Lost:Besides, there was one more, far more weighty reason for the greater demon to stay put. He knew from experience that if he left to do some chores while his orbs' channels were showing interesting stuff, he'd end up missing the good parts. After not being able to watch the final vision of "Lost (and Regained) Memories" which had provided some crazy plot twists late in the summer season (black smoke be damned!), he had made sure not to repeat that mistake again. More than almost anything, he wanted to see events unfold in the prime time slot and be the first one to tell the juicy news to others immediately afterwards.
- Trailer Park Boys:Sergeant Lahey met Corporal Randy at the docks of Scundor. "Did you find anything in Carriage Park?"Carriage Park was the neighbourhood in Scundor which consisted of carriages parked next to one another. It was basically a slum where the less fortunate Scuns, or bums as Lahey liked to call them, lived in. Lahey and Randy had been instructed to keep things in order in that neighbourhood, and they had recently traced the origin of certain drugs to that area."Nope. The place was clean like a newborn baby's ass, and Julian and his pals were nowhere in sight. I suppose they got wind of the raid and took all the evidence with them before I arrived," Randy sighed, scratching his big, hairy belly. He never wore a shirt for some reason. "Are you drunk, boss? We're on duty, y'know.""Damn those Carriage Park Boys! Sexian is hot, but even so it's illegal to smuggle drugs into this city. I'm gonna catch him in the act someday, just wait and see!" Lahey hissed, his face turning bright red. "And I'm not drunk! I've only had two drinks, that's all!"Randy knew better, though. Lahey always said he had "only had two drinks", but the actual number of drinks was often much greater than that. Lahey was an alcoholic, and it should have been Randy's duty to take him to the authorities, but Randy loved him passionately, and he could never betray his lover. However, Randy did not like how Lahey was so obsessive about catching Julian (or Sexian as Lahey usually called that handsome drug dealer). So far Julian and his friends, who ran a drug business somewhere in Carriage Park, had eluded them, but sooner or later that so-called Carriage Park Boys gang would run out of luck.Randy frowned all of a sudden as he smelled the air. "Oh, sweet mother of mercy! What's that foul stench coming from the sea?"Lahey gazed on the horizon, and he had a weary, knowing look in his eyes. "It's the wind of shit, Randy. The wind of shit."
- Blue Öyster Cult:An elderly Sinlarine man was kneeling in front of an altar. That part was fairly normal. A white-haired girl was lying on the altar. That part was...less normal, but Ax supposed she might be ill, and the elderly man was praying for her recovery. Hovering above the altar was a hooded, skeletal figure carrying a scythe."—that's definitely not normal!"Both the Sinlarine man and the skeletal figure turned to look at her, their expressions inscrutable.Ax took a step back. "Uhh...sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt your routine virgin sacrifice to the Reaper or whatever's going on here. None of my business, obviously! And like that old song says: Seasons don't fear the Reaper, nor do the wind, the sun or the goats? Or whatever. So...yeah. I'll just be...going..."
- Lady Gaga:Jono let out a loud shush, and shook his finger vigorously in a random direction. He could imagine his companion off to the side, shaking like a girl, weeping silently and biting his nails. The sad bastard. He guessed it was up to him to save the day once again. It was then that he reached out with his senses, tapping into the strangest facet of his Innate Ability, a more powerful connection to the supernatural plane than your average joe. Searching through the voices of the dead, he tried to pinpoint one to come to his aid in this nefarious contest. Suddenly he was touched by the voice and shade of noble lady, her aura enveloping Jono in warm sensations. She whispered in his ear, and he repeated aloud:"Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah!Roma-Roma-ma-ah!Ga-ga-ooh-la-la!Want your bad romance."After several minutes more of this poetry, Jono slowly felt the lady leave him. He was alone in silence until he heard the Lindworm sniff, and begin weeping."It's so beautiful! My apologies, friends. No one with such genius could be a thief."
Table Top Games
- Dungeons & Dragons:"Besides, 'evil' is never very clearly defined enough to detect it. Whoever thought of that was a moron."A group of wizards that lived in a city on the coast of some nation or other started shouting about the nature of evil at random paladins they came across for the next five minutes.
- Hamlet:"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Leraje: a fellow of infinite bravery, a most excellent opponent," Ronove heard himself saying as he gazed into the eyes of a severed warrior's head which he held in his hand.The tattooed man, Leraje, rolled his eyes. "Why do you always have be so fucking melodramatic every time you kill someone you deem 'worthy'? You're embarrassing me!"
- The Phantom of the Opera:
Refan closed in on Ax with inhuman speed, and before the warrior could step back, he grabbed and squeezed her arm until she released her grip from the sword. When Ax tried to move her knee to kick the half-demon in the groin, she suddenly felt some strange power preventing her legs from moving."I've learned my lesson from last time. That trick won't work on me again," Refan whispered. He pressed his lips against Ax's, and slowly but surely he felt her fierce resistance dropping as his demonic power oozed into her. It was as if time stopped, but he eventually he let her go reluctantly. "Too long you've wandered in darkness, far from my far-reaching gaze. You resist, but we both know your heart obeys. Don't betray your feelings for me!"
- Refan's reunion with Ax:
"What I want is to be with you, Khalid," Ax whispered, gently moving her hands from his shoulders up to his face. "I couldn't say it last night, I was so afraid of it, so afraid of what it meant...but I'm not afraid anymore. Khalid al-Saif, I...love you.""Only in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever hear you say that. But I can't—I won't—I am not worthy of your love, Axikasha," Khalid said miserably. He saw disappointment and hurt in her eyes, mirroring the emotions he had felt just the night before, and found himself unable to look away. "I've already released you, and I will not go back on my word. You deserve someone who will cherish you and treat you like the queen that you are, someone who can truly make you happy. I deserve nothing. I...am a monster.""You're not a monster, Khalid. You can make me happy...and I could do the same for you, should you let me," Ax said with tear-filled eyes.Khalid drew in a shaky breath, relishing the scent of her. She was so close now, so warm and inviting, so beautiful. "I don't deserve...I...this makes no sense. I must be dreaming.""If this is a dream, my love, then let us abandon thought...and let the dream descend," Ax said breathily. She felt Khalid's resolve falter, and drew him towards her in a passionate embrace. She moaned softly as their lips met in a fervent kiss, and for a mere instant, her eyes flickered red in elation.
- Khalid's reunion with "Ax":
- Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation:As Skye's song resonated and Faeli's dance gave it rhythm, Skye could've sworn she had heard a warm voice echo in the wind, a voice she didn't know the source of but whose comforting words nearly made her cry for reasons she didn't understand. It was as if the very world was singing with her and the dragons even though she knew it to be impossible, and she wondered if the Matriarch mentioning an 'Archmuse' was actually based on something real rather than just being a poetic phrase about dreams that had been woven eons ago...The dawn, a brand new day. The sun beating back the endless night. So let time march onward. You're safe and all is right because this new world will soon be here...
- BioShock:Adram cleared his throat. "I'm Adram Alek, and I'm here to ask you a question: is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow? No, says the man in Maar Sul. It belongs to the poor! No, says the man in the church. It belongs to the memory of Cardia! No, says the man in Remonton. It belongs to everyone! I rejected those answers. Instead I chose something different. I chose the impossible, I chose... Ravensworth!"
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:"But enough talk! Bottoms up!" Qarinah declared.Elsewhere, a man in blue with a whip at his side raised an eyebrow before saying, "That's not how that goes.""Come on, Richter!" a blond girl quite a bit younger than him persisted, insistent on leading him somewhere.The moment was forgotten, and they continued.
- Metal Gear Solid:Zib was walking through the large mansion of Dreadlord Ronove, doing his duty. That is, he was collecting garbage. It wasn't a proud job, or so the high class demons seemed to remind him every day, but it was a necessary one. Do any of them even know how much garbage they create? Zib was tired of it all, yet he would do his duty, one gnawed bone and cake boxes at the time.There did seem to be an awful lot of cake boxes left around lately. He idly wondered from bin to bin as he suddenly heard a sound."Sneak.. Sneak.. Sneak.."When the demon looked around the corner he saw a wooden box. Now this wasn't out of the ordinary, but there was something different. the box was moving in the direction of the dreadlord's room, and the sound seemed to be coming from the box."Sneak.. Sneak.. Sneak..", the girlish voice came from the box."You know..." said Zib slowly, "I don't think you're supposed to say sneak."The box squealed in surprise and the movements seemed to quicken."Sneak sneak sneak sneak sneak sneak."Well, at least it was less loud. He should probably raise the alarm, and then they would question and mock him for doing nothing himself. Was he even getting paid enough for this?...Wait, was he even getting paid?"Screw this," Zib said and went off to do his daily round to collect the trash that seemed to accumulate near that one exited little demon's catapult.
- Trials of Mana:Qadohi raised her hands in the air as she addressed her kin. "Behold! The tailless ones have chosen to walk down the Path of Blood! Now they shall face the ultimate challenge, the one who is known as Deathfang, Terror Incarnate, Eater of Souls, Doomgaze, Sharpclaw, and Beast of the Bottomless Abyss!"The ground shook, and the heroes drew their weapons as they saw the glowing, blue eyes glowing brighter and brighter in the shadows. They could see something dark emerging from the gate, and they prepared themselves for battle.Qadohi's voice grew louder. "Step forth, you who are the deadliest creation of Lord Shakkan, you who are his pride and joy, you whose true name is..."Khasra blinked in disbelief once the black creature had fully emerged from the shadows of the gate. "What the hell? That's a facking—""...PLUSHIEBUNNY!" Qadohi concluded her speech triumphantly.Greg rubbed his wrists and walked towards the cute, ordinary-looking black bunny which had appeared. "I was afraid of THIS? What a joke! This cutie couldn't even hurt a fly!""Keep your distance!" Ariadne ordered and closed her eyes when she saw Greg take the bunny in his arms. She waited for an agonizing scream of death, but she heard nothing so she opened her eyes and gasped. Greg was unharmed."Come on, Ariadne! You're overreacting! Shakkan's just making us look like fools, that's all!" Greg smiled and turned his eyes to Plushiebunny. "Look at him! The little fella's all scared! Don't worry, Uncle Greg won't harm you—"Plushiebunny's jaws suddenly opened wide and swallowed Greg whole. The creature rapidly grew into its true, gigantic form and turned its blue, sinister eyes to the heroes. It burped and grinned evilly, and then it attacked.Titaniel crapped his pants.
- Shadow Hearts:Suddenly Jacob smiled. "I know you are in there somewhere, Axikasha! Since you have been so kind as to help Me reach My goals today, I shall let you in on one more secret. Remember that girl, Shyla? What if I told you that she is still alive and waiting for you? I figured out that it was she who was originally meant to have Dawn. Yes, you are not the Chosen One, after all! Your only purpose is to deliver Dawn to Shyla, and I assure you that I will make it happen. You shall be forced to confront the shadows of your past, so remember these words!""Before you continue your boring speech, can I ask a favour?" Ax muttered.Jacob sighed. "What do you wish, fool?""I wish you'd shove it. You know where!" the female warrior chuckled.
- Suikoden IIThe air became heavier as dark magic concentrated around Leraje's body. It was then that the fiend transformed, his armor adapting to his true, malevolent form. He grew twice as tall, and his big, now-demonic body looked intimidating with its tattoos and muscles. The Dreadlord's horns were long and gruesome, and his wings looked huge and spiky. His tail was pointy and looked powerful enough to pierce any armor. His sharp claws and teeth looked ominous under the sun, but the most dreadful things were the red eyes which burned with pure malice."Don't let him intimidate you!" Khasra barked to his companions. "We'll—" His sentence was cut short when the Dreadlord punched him in the face with blinding speed, sending him tumbling down.The fiend cut down six Black Guards effortlessly and grinned. "What? Is this the best you can do? Where's that confidence of yours now?" he laughed with his deep, demonic voice and gleefully tore apart any nearby Sarquil and Blades that got in his way. "You can round up a million maggots to try to defeat me... but you'll still all just be maggots!"
- Super Mario Bros.:As the rowboat's occupants cowered, something circled in the water near the downed ship... something big. With a huge splash and one mighty gulp, the giant red fish swallowed a nearby survivor and disappeared beneath the waves.Zenobia gasped. "You mean he let the Omari fish loose?"
- World of Warcraft:As Signan droned on, Vaetris surveyed their surroundings. She could've sworn she'd heard a rustle of sand, but perhaps it was just the wind.She held up a hand to silence Signan. There it was again... definitely not the wind."Ax!" she whispered harshly. "Something... something's up ahead!""AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIII!" came an unholy screech. A lump popped up in the sand, then burst through, a deadly-tipped spear swinging around wildly. Then came another, and another. Soon, nearly twenty of the creatures had broken through the surface, each with a spear and shield pointed at the group.As the dust cleared, the creatures became visible. Squat, sturdy, pallid-skinned... things covered in strange tattoos. They wore strange masks and loincloths that reminded Vaetris of the jungle folk she'd seen so long ago... though the jungle folk hadn't been nearly so... so...Short.The heroes paused, some drawing their weapons. Rhylian tentatively crept forward, bow at the ready. "Sirithai...?"
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged:Vani's eyes narrowed. "Sister Vahista!" she hissed. "Why are you here? I thought Mother gave you to those humans as punishment for what you did?"Vahista smirked. "The lesser beings and I disagreed with the terms of the arrangement. They wanted themselves to live and, well, I didn't."
- Aladdin:Haruko rested her head against the Oracle's shoulder as they gazed at the night sky in the observatory in the king's garden. "I never thought it'd end this way," she muttered dreamily as she felt his fingers move gently through her dark hair. She touched the necklace he had given her as a gift; a beautiful golden one with a shining emerald in its centre.The Oracle kissed the girl on the forehead, and she pressed herself closer to his warm body under the blanket they were sharing. "You've changed everything since you showed up here, Enchantress," he whispered to her. "You showed me the world in a new light and made me realize what matters the most, and for that I'm eternally grateful to you."Haruko smiled. "A whole new world, a new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us no or where to go...or say we're only dreaming," she recited the lyrics of a famous Barjassilian song absent-mindedly. She could stay like this forever.
- Brave:And just then, Kendra Finian began singing again, continuing where the song from earlier had left off in a soft, calm voice: "Fas as faic do thir, dileas fhein. A ghrian a's a ghealaich, stuir sinn gu uair ar cliu 's ar gloire."Warmth flowing through his body. A smiling face. Familiar, kind yet somewhat sad eyes looming over him, her dark hair within his small hand's reach.He was crying. He had hurt his finger when trying to pluck a rose for her...his mother. He knew this day had been special, that something irreversible would happen. Cloaked men had come by and talked to the family, telling them the 'time had come' to meet the father who lived far away."Shh...little Kernaghan. It's alright. I'm here, the clan's here. We'll always be here with you, my son, no matter how far away we are," she whispered. "A Sinlarine is never alone for fire will always walk with him...the fiery determination of our ancestors. We're all part of a bigger tapestry woven over time. You'll understand one day. Stay strong until then."His mother took his hand in hers, caressing it gently, and began singing softly a song he would hear a lifetime later. The same lyrics repeated themselves, and he now knew their meaning as his quiet voice joined with hers, their voices becoming one, the voice of their family, their clan, as they sang in the ancient tongue of the Sinlarine:"Grow and see your land, your own faithful land. Sun and moon, guide us to the hour of our glory and honour."Xerathas realized his mouth was moving, repeating the words from that dream—no, memory—in a whisper. He touched his cheek, realizing it was wet. Was he...crying? But he couldn't feel anything...not after the ritual in the Dark Tower so long ago which had made him who he was as his father had turned him into his successor all those years ago. And yet these memories that had surfaced a moment ago had predated the memories from the tower which had been his earliest memories until now."Mo...ther..." Xerathas d'Zarnagon—Kernaghan Finian—muttered, his voice wavering for the first time in what felt like a lifetime ago.
- The Emperor's New Groove:Back at the ball, Qarinah had just drank the entire contents of the mug. She slammed it down on the table, smacked her lips, and said, "Tasty." Half a second later, she slumped face first on the table with a 'thump.' Stylianos rolled his eyes and stood up, hoisting her over his shoulder. She seemed still conscious, although barely.The dwalf looked at Rain. "You did warn her. Best she goes to sleep now, I think. Would you happen to know where she takes her rest?"Elsewhere, a freakishly old woman woke up rather violently, immediately sitting up. "That wasn't poison!"
- Frosty the Snowman:"Hi, everybody," it said in a cheerful voice, "I'm Fro—""HOLY SHIT, IT CAME TO LIFE! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!" shouted Leon in panic."Wait," it said, "I'm a friendl— AARGH! MY EYE! MY FUCKING EYE! Augh! No! Stop shoot—urk!"As soon as Frosty hit the ground, Leon started kicking snow all over the place, and lit the top hat on fire.It had been a close call.
- The Last Unicorn:"What do you want?" Izael hissed, careful not to raise his voice.Thrax smiled. "Oh, it's the other way around, Izael. The real question is: what do you want? Follow the Master's orders to the bitter end, or live happily ever after with your true love?"Izael bit his lip but remained silent. Thrax always turned questions upside down, and the most unnerving thing was that he always hit the mark, finding your weak spot."Good. That's all the information I need," the Totenkopf said. "You may keep your lips sealed, but the rest of your body has betrayed you. A pace, a glance, a turn of the head, the flash of your throat as you breathe... even your way of standing perfectly still—they were all my spies."
- The Secret of NIMH:"Take one more step and you'll regret it!" Jason shouted, doing his best to protect his wounded brother."Regret is such a funny word. Only weaklings have regrets!" the man growled. "In my life I've learned this much: take what you can when you can! And if you all stand between me and my wench, I'll just take your lives as compensation!"