"Well, lay it on the table so I can see it."
Carry On Behind is a 1975 British film from the Carry On film series. It stars series regulars Kenneth Williams, Bernard Bresslaw, Joan Sims, Kenneth Connor, Jack Douglas, Peter Butterworth, and was the series debut of Windsor Davies, the series return of Liz Fraser, and guest-starred German actress Elke Sommer.
This was the fourth Carry On movie based on holidays and was the last critically-acclaimed "good" Carry On film of the 1970s. This is possibly because screenwriter Talbot Rothwell (who wrote most of the films — many being box-office smashes) had taken ill and unfit for work and was replaced with different writers per movie for the rest of the series; this film was written instead by Dave Freeman, who was also a writer for Sidney James' sitcom Bless This House.
Like many of the holiday movies, Behind tells several subplots of ordinary folk that meet up at a holiday site. This time it's at a caravan park in the middle of grassland by some trees and a community center, where it rains heavily and there are sinkholes... lots of sinkholes. It's owned by Major Leafe (Connor), with the help of a downtrodden once-winner of bookie earnings named Arthur (Butterworth).
Some of the visitors include an archaeologist named Prof Roland Crump (Williams), who brings along foreign colleague Prof Anna Vrooshka (Sommer) to excavate nearby, which causes a lot of havoc with the other residents; a butcher named Fred (Davies) and his electrician friend Ernie (Douglas) who take along their wives Sylvia (Fraser) and Vera that share different ideas on how to spend their vacation; and Arthur (Bresslaw) reluctantly bringing his wife Vera's mother (Sims) and her caged pet.
- A Bloody Mess: When an explosion upsets Professor Crump and Professor Vrooshka's caravan, a bottle of tomato sauce falls out of a cupboard and splatters its contents over Professor Crump. He thinks he's been wounded and faints. Hilarity Ensues.
- The Butcher: Professor Crump wakes up after being knocked unconscious to find a strange man (Fred the butcher) leaning over him. When Fred introduces himself by profession, Crump screams in terror.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: The chairs in the community center make the bottom of the seated's clothes rip off completely, which is particularly unfortunate for one young lady who has spent the evening Going Commando.
- Dirty Old Man: Although married, Fred lusts after twenty-something women that he is staying nearby on the caravan trip.
- Embarrassing Slide: In the opening scene, Professor Crump delivers a narration to what he thinks is a film on archaeology being projected behind him. Unknown to him, the wrong film was shipped and the audience is actually watching footage of a stripper. When he discovers the mistake, the enthralled audience members tell him to leave the film running anyway.
- Frying Pan of Doom: The women sewing their dresses are ambushed by perverted men so one of them chooses to defend themselves with one.
- Funny Foreigner: Prof Anna is a mild version.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A lot.
Fred: Me ball's burning!!
- Vera's mother aggressively reminds her daughter that she should remember to shave so that she "doesn't go around looking like a tramp". Then there's a cutaway shot to Prof Anna cleaning out her hired-out caravan and finding a birds' nest in a high shelf.
- The trailer ending with: "The team's been up the front for years. Now they want you to come 'round the back and Carry On behind!"
Arthur: Well, don't stand so close to the fire!
- Mostly when Anna's accent is misheard by Roland.
- Greed: Arthur was once a millionaire that lost all his money and looks after hens. When he hears about archaeologists in the area, he creates his own artefacts by breaking up pieces of metal to convince the group that they are remains of ancient jewellery.
- Henpecked Husband: A couple of the married male characters.
- How Do You Say: "You see, I am keeping a how you say dirrrty caravan".
- Locked in a Freezer: When fixing the butcher's fridge, Ernie is accidentally locked inside when it finally works. Fred finds him covered in ice, shivering, and frozen in a door-knocking position.
- My Beloved Smother: Vera's mother coming along with her and her husband.
- Slippery Skid: The sinkholes from the excavating leads to Roland waking up, tripping on soap and flying onto Anna's bed on the other side of the caravan.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Prof Roland.
- Those Two Guys:
- Arthur and Major Leafe.
- Fred and Ernie, who hope to go fishing together.