The Secret Organization from Academy of Merlin is a worldwide organization dedicated to monitoring and stopping magick crime. Founded by TB, there are branches all over the planet in most major countries and a type of work for everyone interested.
- Blue-Collar Warlock: All the members are magicks who fight for a living.
- The Men in Black: Especially when it comes to magicks messing with mundanes. They come in, they get the bad guy, they wipe memories as needed, and they go.
- Tier System: Numerical rankings based off of a point system decide how high up the food chain a person is, with Universals standing up at the top.
- Organization with Unlimited Funding: They don't usually pay their agents and have elaborate bases around the world, so where does the organization get all its funding? TB's stash of Steam gift cards?
- Over-the-Top Secret: Played with. The Secret Organization doesn't really try to stay secret, but a lot of the information on it is classified.
- Secret Police: They aren't exactly the police, but they do the world justice undercover.
The mastermind behind the secret organization. A particularly charismatic dwelf with a penchant for gaming.
- Acme Products: The gift shop in any headquarters is literally just filled with merchandise with their face on it. Most of the sales are from agents themselves.
- Beware the Honest Ones: Their idealism makes them unpredictable.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Musoke, the Right Hand, stabbed them with a Blade of flame in front of the entire Academy.
- The Charmer: Literally. There isn't a single person in the Secret Organization that dislikes them, or... anyone at all, really. Deeply respected by all who meet them.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: They may act a little odd, but in reality it's a very bad idea to underestimate them.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Will not wear shoes if they can help it.
- The Dulcinea Effect: They produce this sort of effect with the members of the Secret Organization. Within three minutes of meeting them, anyone is willing to protect them from harm.
- Hair Decorations: Has a little pin in their hair.
- Hidden Badass: Despite their small stature and harmless appearance, Teyo is extremely crafty and knows how to use their abilities to their fullest extent. The best example is when they went undercover as Nurse Oyet to take down Ubel's institution.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Just known as The Boss. After their death, their name, Teyo, was released.
- Mixed Ancestry: A dwelf.
- Star Power: They're a starwielder.
The Old Man/Rangi
He's retired. An ex-Universal.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Inverted. Instead of being Teyo's grandfather, Rangi is actually Teyo's father, and had given up the memory of this long ago.
The French Branch
The head branch of the SOEU, with the headquarters located in the Catacombs of Paris.
Orion's husband, working from the French branch.
The personification of garbage, aka Marianne's ex-boyfriend. An elf that managed to change his alignment, making him a windwielder.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Marianne's ex. When she said her taste in men was shit, she was not kidding.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He doesn't look like an asshole, and then he opens his mouth.
- Blow You Away: A windwielder; he had his affinity changed.
- The Charmer: Despite his rotten personality, Orion is very affable to just about everyone he meets. Much of his work during missions involves opening the mouths of pretty women.
- Jerkass: Orion's personality has been twisted into something ugly and dark.
The head of Psqwad in Paris. Frequently beats up magical creatures during missions. She's absolutely no slouch when it comes to fighting. Currently in Wales for some unknown reason.
- Almighty Janitor: Exceedingly powerful and could shoot up in rank if she chose, but prefers to stay in the 90s so she isn't transferred/gains too much attention.
- Badass Longcoat: Inherited hers from Kane; it's a special enchanted coat that covers up the emotions of those that wear it.
- Berserk Button: Do not even think of harming Merchant, or you'll come to regret it.
- Boobs of Steel: One of the strongest (and bustiest) characters in Merlin.
- Break the Badass: Completely threw herself into work after witnessing her boyfriend literally get abducted in front of her when she could do nothing to stop it.
- Broken Bird: Refuses to acknowledge how depressed she is by working her ass off and never going back to her apartment.
- Brought Down to Normal: She took a pill that repressed her magic in order to visit Merchant's town, since she was physically repulsed by it due to being a magick. This ended up biting her in the ass when she was in turn completely powerless to stop Merchant's abduction.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Mari is a freakin' lightweight. She gets sloshed after a jello shot.
- Combat Medic: An incredibly powerful fighter, making her very good at her job, and doubles as a healer.
- Combat Stilettos: Prefers to wear stilettos to make her taller, no matter where she is or who she's fighting.
- Dismotivation: Tries to keep reasonably low on the board so she doesn't get transferred/doesn't have to be away on missions all the time. She has a life.
- Hartman Hips: Marianne is one of the curviest characters in Merlin.
- In Love with the Mark: Was originally sent to Justus to arrest Simon by Halloween. Then by Christmas. Then around the time the Black Dragon showed up. Good going, Marianne.
- Living Emotional Crutch: One of the only unhealthy aspects of her relationship with Simon. Marianne and Simon's ability to function as a person in general is closely tied into the other's well-being and emotional state. Of course, they're adults and not teenagers, so they've gotten better at coping, but still.
- Mixed Ancestry: A half-elf. Doesn't like being discriminated against because of it.
- Not with Them for the Money: About Simon. Sure, the money is a nice bonus, but she's in it for the man himself. Which nobody else can figure out.
- One-Man Army: Much stronger than she's letting on to anyone, and could probably skyrocket to the top of the ranks if she wants to. Alas, she only uses her extra strength for things like punching mundane assholes that try to take her boyfriend in the face and slamming mundanes with guns that shoot said boyfriend into a wall. Or any other number of things involving hurting those she loves.
- Rank Up: Shot up to Rank 90 over timeskip, and she's still holding herself back.
- Rapunzel Hair: Had long black hair that trailed to the ground. Then she cut it to mid-length, and then she ended up shaving all of it off and it's now about chin length.
- Saying Too Much: Accidentally let Merchant's real name - Simon - slip around the elf trio.
- Something About a Rose: Wears a rose charm bracelet.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Marianne keeps a lot of stuff in her cleavage. Because she can.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Things Marianne has done to people that try to hurt or do hurt Simon: slammed them into a wall, broken ribs, constricted their breathing with magical vines.
- What Does She See in Him?: Literally nobody has any idea how Marianne saw a good guy underneath all the filth Simon had accumulated over the last several years.
Marianne's assistant. Helps keep her calm in times of crisis, and advises her about what to do in her personal life. Marianne would be incredibly lost without them.
- Adorkable: Very honest and open, and quite cute for it.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: Hired specifically for this purpose - Marianne hurts herself ridiculously easy off the job, so Loren is here to ensure that doesn't happen.
- Brought Down to Normal: Took a pill that repressed their magic in order to head into Merchant's town. This bit them in the ass when they were not only powerless to stop Merchant's abduction, but powerless to protect Marianne.
- Determinator: If they are given an order, they will follow the order to the end. They actually took out Tyme simply by wearing them down.
- Devoted to You: Completely and utterly loyal to Marianne, through thick and thin.
- The Lancer: Of Psqwad. Loren has a calm demeanor and falls into the more reliable category.
- Sassy Secretary: Roasts very subtly and with the utmost care.
A member of Psqwad who just happens to be a fashion model as well.
- Ditzy Genius: It's not that she's not smart, it's just that she's an idiot when it comes to certain things.
- Fashion Model: A Korean-French fashion model that's rather famous, apparently, if you talk to her.
- Hair Decorations: Wears both a hat and a bow.
- The Smart Guy: Of Psqwad. She's quick-witted and incredibly gifted with technology.
A member of Psqwad with a canine companion.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Black hair and black eyes.
The youngest member of Psqwad who doesn't say too much.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Associated with bunnies, mostly due to the eyepatch over one eye.
A member of Psqwad with a cheerful disposition
- Absent-Minded Professor: Very much so. Her ditziness often goes hand in hand with her forgetfulness.Sunhee: "Rosa, you idiot, you were just supposed to get the tea and get back to headquarters!"
Rosalena: "I FORGOT."
Simon: "Are you telling me that you created a magical food without making an antidote.
Rosalena: "I'm a reverse Boy Scout. I never come prepared!"
- The Chick: Of Psqwad. Rosa's openness and friendly personality make her a fun person to have around.
- Genius Ditz: Rosa is an amazing Chemist, but she's often got her head in the clouds.
- Large Ham: Yells a lot of things, especially with Sunhee.
The Hawaiian Branch
A small branch, about 150 strong, that lends out many of its agents to missions around the States.
The third-ranked of the Hawaiian branch. A hot-tempered Native American that's always mad about something. Specializes in lavawielding with Leianna.
- Hot-Blooded: He finds something to be angry about every day of the week. This demiman is never satisfied.
An incredibly disorganized half-dwarf with a brilliant mind but a lazy attitude. Naomi's partner.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: A very smart, bright guy that's a genius in his own right... and is also the laziest dude on the planet.
- Genius Ditz: Nakoa can climb to the eighth rank of a tiny branch, make a name for himself as a lendout agent, write a killer paper that catches the attention of scholars around the world... and still not put his socks away. Or do anything remotely close to personal hygiene. Or clean up his food.
- An Ice Person: An icewielder, which may be one reason he works so well with Naomi.
A Welsh girl with a mean streak that attended the Academy 2013-2015. A powerful mage that excels at wielding her element. She was expelled from the Academy after flooding the CEE Office for unknown reasons, though the official reason was lying on her registration for being fully human. Currently working at the Hawaiian branch as a lend-out along with her partner, Nakoa.
- Animal Motif: Associated very heavily with fish.
- Bi the Way: Naomi is bi and has been shown to have a relationship with another girl.
- Big Fancy House: The Pritchett estate is a large manor only a few hours away from the Academy. Naomi hasn't been back in years.
- Break the Haughty: After flooding the CEE Office and being expelled in disgrace, Naomi mellowed out considerably.
- Broken Bird: Naomi responds to tragedy by shutting her emotions deep inside and focusing on bettering the situation. For her, the more distractions, the better.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She dated her childhood friend, Ari, for a few years.
- Cursed with Awesome: Essentially what her abilities boil down to. Naomi is gifted with several incredible powers due to her siren blood, such as being able to breathe underwater and bend others to her will by using her voice. However, Naomi herself considers it a curse due to her never really coming to terms with it being a part of who she is.
- Dark Secret: A one-sixteenth siren, Naomi transforms when doused with enough salt/seawater. She considers the resulting form incredibly ugly and will go to great lengths to hide its existence. To add to the pile, her father is funding the Blood Pact's activities.
- Death Seeker: A very passive version, in that she refuses healing of serious wounds and won't acknowledge her deteriorating mental and physical health.
- Did Not Think This Through: Doesn't completely consider all of her actions - Naomi is the rare Ekat that only considers halfway to long term.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Naomi expects the respect of others yet does nothing to earn it.
- Elegant Classical Musician: Plays piano almost as well as she sings.
- The End Justifies The Means: Completely willing to turn to immoral tactics to get the result she wants.
- Enthralling Siren: Naomi is one sixteenth siren. As a result, when she is soaked with enough salt/seawater, she transforms. Her siren voice can control the wills of others, forcing them to do as she says unless their will matches or overtakes hers.
- Fallen Princess: From the daughter of a successful businessman, to a student expelled in disgrace, to a secret agent hiding from an assassin... Naomi's fallen pretty hard.
- Freakiness Shame: Absolutely abhors her siren form.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Naomi is difficult to befriend. She isn't immediately friendly, is quite arrogant, and will outright insult anyone that talks to her for about five minutes. To date, only three people have successfully befriended Naomi: Tamryn, Rosalena, and Nakoa.
- Good Is Not Nice: Naomi is undeniably on the side of justice, but she isn't afraid to take a downward dip or two if that's what gets the job done. Also, she's kind of an asshole.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a fish clip in her hair.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Managed to spout off some serious self-deprecation in front of Tamryn without her ever realizing.Tamryn: What was so bad about [sirens]?
Naomi: Aaaah... they were rude, stubborn, and had a very superior attitude. They tried to shoulder everything themselves and refused to ask for any help, because they were prideful before anything else. And they were the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I just want to find out what happened to them, but I can't imagine anyone liking them. Awful creature. The world's probably better without them in it.
- Humanoid Abomination: Considers herself this. Naomi hates her siren form with a burning passion and fears people finding out.
- I Am a Monster: Years of emotional abuse by Cati twisted her self esteem and snapped it in half. Naomi sees herself as nothing more than an ugly thing that shouldn't exist in the world.
- Iconic Item: The black pearl stolen from her home years ago. Naomi has had it set into a ring and, more recently, a pendant for easy channeling.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: If she gets hit with saltwater, Naomi is going to shift whether she wants to or not. The amount of water can affect how deep the change goes, as well.
- Making a Splash: A waterwielder. She makes the most of it with her siren abilities.
- Ms. Exposition: Naomi fills this role frequently, mostly for Blood Pact information. Justified as she's flipped through the files at her old house several times, though at this point her information is outdated.
- Noble Fugitive: Technically still on the run from her house - if her old caretaker, Cati, finds her, she's dead.
- One-Winged Angel: Her fished-out form is Naomi's final defense and ultimate weapon. Naomi hates having to resort to it.
- Pride: Practically spews it out of ever orifice. Naomi holds her head high regardless of her circumstances. And, of course, she's never going to ask for help.
- Quest for the Rest: Naomi feels deeply connected to her siren heritage and has made it her goal for almost eight years to find out where the sirens had gone, and find them.
- The Runaway: Ran from her emotionally and mentally abusive household, and hasn't returned since.
- Scars Are Forever: Has two particularly nasty ones on the insides of her legs from an incident in her childhood.
- Spotting the Thread: Naomi's specialty. She takes seemingly huge leaps of logic because she follows the most likely possibilities in her head. Her greatest flaw is that she forgets most people don't do this and bases most of her decisions off of this as a result, making her actions seem very off-the-wall to others.
- The Strategist: Naomi has a tendency to come up with plans based on the information she sees and coupling it with information she already knows. The result: while her plans can prove to sound like they came directly from a Janus, Naomi is always confident that they'll work.
- Too Clever by Half: Naomi, this is why nobody likes you. You're an arrogant bitch that thinks you're smarter than everyone else.
- Undying Loyalty: They may have broken up, but that isn't going to stop Naomi from making sure Ari is doing well.
- Uneven Hybrid: Only 1/16 siren. This strange combination of human and siren might be why her transformations are so strange.
- Workaholic: Has a tendency to work herself to the bone if she's left alone for too long.
The Indian Branch
A graduate of the Academy, now a Secret Organization agent.
- Disappeared Dad: His dad moves around frequently, so Kesi never has the opportunity to send him letters.
- Green Thumb: Tends to plants. Also, he's a plantwielder.
- Happiness in Slavery: Doesn't mind working for his master; it's better than where he was before.
- Hopeless with Tech: Autocorrect is Kesi's worst enemy.
- Meaningful Name: "Kesi" means "born to a troubled father".
- Self-Made Orphan: Partly - he didn't kill his father. He killed his mother in self-defense.
- Trademark Clothing: His green apron.
The Chinese Branch
Used to be rank two in the Wales branch, a stonewielding mage whose incredible feats regularly go unnoticed.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The shiny rank two isn't just for show; Yin is exceptionally powerful.
- Casanova Wannabe: Most of his attempts to flirt with Deux end up backfiring.
- Dishing Out Dirt: A stonewielder, and a damn good one at that.
- Hidden Depths: Has a darker side to his personality that doesn't come out very often.
- My Greatest Failure: Unable to solve his brother's murder and consequently was drummed out of the Chinese branch.
- One-Man Army: Takes on S-class missions by himself regularly.
A magick who specializes in full-body channeling.
- Ambiguous Gender: Goes by they/them pronouns.
- Brutal Honesty: Do not expect Eun to mince words. They're sharp, quick, and to the point.
- The Fashionista: Has a very steampunk-y fashion sense, and they don't let what they do for a living get in the way of their work.
- Informed Loner: When not in play, they spend most of their time wandering around the Wales branch, looking a little lost and a little lonely.
Huang Mei Xing/Casimir Jaunius
A fairly powerful half-elf with a gemstone in the place of her left eye and a rising star of the China SO branch. Ex student and married to Ryuhei.
- Action Fashionista: Fashionable as hell and takes out criminals for a living.
- Drama Queen: They like to joke around and make scenes with their friends.
- Eye Beams: Having advanced their element enough to manipulate plasma, lasers from the eye are a common occurrence.
- The Fighting Narcissist: They are pretty and they will punch you if you say otherwise.
- Glass Eye: Has a gem for a left eye, which they use as their channeler.
- Mixed Ancestry: Chinese and Lithuanian.
- Shock and Awe: A sparkwielder.
Rank One in the Wales branch, an acidwielding elf with a love of tea and gardening.
Rank Three in the Wales branch. Also happens to be Xander's brother. Specializes in gathering information for others.
- Almighty Janitor: Rank three of the Wales branch and instead sits around and assists others with their missions instead of taking his own. Hence, his name.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Climbed to rank three by himself.
- Meaningful Name: People call him Assistant. He assists with others' missions for points, and rarely accepts any for himself.
- Mixed Ancestry: A half-elf.
- Mysterious Mist: A mistwielder.
- Mysterious Past: Nobody really knows much about Assistant, or his days before joining the Organization. Well, A, B, Magnolia, Teresa, 5, Xander, and Lucy sure do.
Missing in Action
An incredibly powerful ex-Merlin student recruited by Deux. Knows Gage from the past. Rank Four in the Wales branch.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Her brother may be dead, but she hasn't stopped smiling. There's a high chance this is just a facade.
- Cute Bruiser: Don't let her looks fool you, she's Deux's protege for a reason.
- Half-Identical Twins: With her brother Leonard, who was killed in an accident Gage was involved in.
- Hime Cut: She's French, not Japanese, but her hair is cut in this style and she is a Proper Lady.
- Nice Hat: A cute little hat set at a jaunty angle on her head.
The elite of the elite, Universal agents aren't found anywhere in the SO's system and largely work in the shadows. They are not assigned to any branch and do not complete ordinary missions. Their exact purpose is unclear, and their identities are almost completely obscured.
They are also all codenamed with body parts.
The Right Hand
Better known as the Right Hand, this Universal does not exactly work in the shadows. Musoke is TB's mysterious assistant that travels from branch to branch. They tend to disappear for long periods of time, but will almost always come when TB calls. They are wholly supportive of TB and take care of much work behind the scenes, as well as monitoring various branches and the complex teleport system that connects all the bases together, which they designed and implemented. On the whole, they are a diligent, loyal agent.
...is what everyone believes. They have a night job, one that they have had for a very, very long time.
For Musoke's tropes, you'll have to look to see where their allegiances truly lie.
The Left Foot
A cheerful elf with a penchant for money and jokes and generally being the asshole. One of the SO's earliest members, but they don't align themselves with the organization unless TB has a personal request for them. Takes a lot of personal requests from TB.
- Beauty Mark: Below their right eye.
- Healing Shiv: Their specialty is shooting healing bullets from a Flintlock.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: Their family essentially had one at the bottom of their hospital. Krishna wasn't a frequent visitor, but they did help move their money around.
- Took a Level in Kindness: The effect that spending enough time around TB had on them.
TB's adopted child that they didn't bother to civilize. A passionate lover of history.
- Badass Bookworm: Uses their knowledge of the way spells were formed to strengthen their combat magic.
- Brutal Honesty: Leshy has no filter between their mind and their mouth.
- Does Not Like Shoes: In more ways than one. Leshy will go without shoes if they can manage, and also enjoys destroying any Krishna happens to own.
- Happily Adopted: Had a much better life after TB took them under their wing.
- Insult of Endearment: Originally called 'mutt' by Krishna, Leshy embraced the title and over time Krishna used it as more of a fond nickname than anything else.
- Intelligence = Isolation: Universals are already hard to find. Other than the occasional willingness to spend time with TB, Leshy usually prefers to be alone with their work.
- Making a Splash: A waterwielder, reinforced by the fact that their great grandmother was a bog spirit.
- Not Good with People: It's hard to get to know them. They're called 'the Teeth' for a reason.
- Red Is Violent: Leshy is draped in red and is rather characterized by their violence.
- Vocal Dissonance: Possesses a very light and airy laugh, very different from their usual harsh tone of voice.
- Wild Child: Before TB took them in. They still retain a lot of their old characteristics, but they're better socialized and well cared for.
- Wild Hair: Has long, wild black hair, and their attitude certainly matches up.
The newest Universal. Has trust issues but is also kind of a nerd.
- Reflective Eyes: With mirrorstone shards in their eyes, it's a bit unavoidable.
- Stealth Expert: Uses their mirrorstone shards to do a good bit of espionage.