The Council from Academy of Merlin is the worldwide organization that governs the magickal world, originally created to be manned by an equal number of humans, elves, and dwarves. In more recent years, the balance of Council officials has shifted drastically to the humans, an issue that has been the topic of controversial debate more than once. The Council works to maintain the secrecy of the magick world. Lately, many of their actions have been called into question.
Tropes that apply to the Council as a whole:
- 0% Approval Rating: You'd be hard-pressed to find someone that actually agrees with how the Council operates. Except, of course, those on the Council themselves.
- Fantastic Racism: The Council's affairs are primarily handled by humans, though there are elves and dwarves on the Council. The elves are more interested in protecting their shrinking territory than anything else, however, and the dwarves are uninterested in most human affairs and are rarely around for important decisions, so the racism in the Council is particularly rampant. They treat those of mixed ancestry in particular with disdain, something Ian found out the hard way.
- Let No Crisis Go to Waste: They sure didn't waste any time swooping in on Merlin once they had an excuse to. In reality, they just wanted the Oak under their control.
- The Magocracy: The government that runs the magick world.
Benjamin Lockwood, Chairman
The chairman of the committee. Rowan's father.
- Abusive Parents: Towards Rowan. Whether the physical abuse is regular is still up in the air, though.
- Hidden Depths: He's been known to crack a smile on occasion, and according to Slater was a bit more of a rebel in his youth.
- Manipulative Bastard: Using Rowan to get information on the troublemakers in the school.
- Noble Bigot: As racist as they come and high on the social food chain to boot.
- Non-Idle Rich: He works, and he gets paid, and he's still rich. Nice.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Enjoys getting in the way of people. Especially the Headmaster.
- Opportunistic Bastard: Perfectly content with using his own son to get inside information about what's going on at the school.
- Parental Neglect: Completely ignores his son in favor of his work, unless he can use his son to his advantage.
- Perpetual Frowner: It's very, very rare to see him crack a smile.
Noah Slater, Discipline Enforcer
In charge of punishments handed out. A hexmaster.
- Adorkable: Acts very seriously, but spends his time off the clock arguing on anime message boards.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Slater has some quirks and doesn't act threatening at all... and then he turns around and yanks the carpet out from under you so fast you don't even realize what happened.
- Butt-Monkey: Asphodel has a tendency to dump her work onto him, and very few people take him seriously.
- The Chessmaster: He may not look like it, but he certainly is clever. Managed to use Icarus of all people as an Unwitting Pawn in a scheme to get rid of Ian. Unfortunately for him, it didn't work.
- The Chew Toy: If someone is getting physically abused in the Council office, it's probably Slater.
- Desk Jockey: Does a lot of the paperwork. Almost all the paperwork.
- Last-Name Basis: Everyone calls him Slater, because it's too weird to call him Noah.
- Manipulative Bastard: Surprisingly, he's this. Slater is good at using others' lack of knowledge to his advantage, and often withholds certain information to give himself an edge.
- Opportunistic Bastard: He saw the chance to rid himself of Ian, and he took it.
Asphodel Bishop, Therapist
A cheerful lady who has a better reputation with the students than most. A mental healer.
- The Bully: Enjoys picking at the students and playing on their worst fears. She provoked Shanta into attacking her by using her own insecurities against her.
- The Collector of the Strange: She collects skulls.
- Noble Bigot: Racist as all heck and hailing from a very important household.
- Smug Snake: A very manipulative woman who knows exactly how to get away with it.
- Sugary Malice: The practical embodiment of this trope. Asphodel is sweet and kind to a fault, but her words and actions are as venomous as a snake.
Eleanor Belacqua, Student Relations
A refined and sophisticated lady in charge of student and media relations. As wicked and sinister as she is elegant.
- Noble Bigot: As racist as the next council member and the daughter of a aristocratic household.
- It Was a Gift: A lapis lazuli cameo.
- Manipulative Bitch: It's her job to twist the truth and make it seem like the council is always in the right, and she's damn good at it too.
Not actually Council, but the servant to Asphodel. Their relationship is... complicated.
- Breakout Character: He wasn't ever actually supposed to show, but events occurred that made it possible.
- Mixed Ancestry: A half-elf.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The worst offender with both white and blue hair.
A mysterious elf who specializes in sewing up dimensional rips.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Thor, considering that Rhea is over a century old.
- Improbable Weapon User: She uses a needle. However, she doesn't use it to fight (though she probably could). Instead, she uses it to sew up dimensional rips.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: She's End's mother, but neither of them know that. The only one that's figured it out is Shanta.
- Mysterious Past: Doesn't talk about herself very often, and isn't very forthcoming with information either.
- Odd Friendship: With Thor of all people. The two became friends because they didn't have much else to do.