Initially meant to be a bridge between Ben 10 the Original Series and Ben 10: Alien Force, this fic took our two favorite cousins and gave them a fluffy story together. Ben and Gwen try to find their place back in normal life, all the while opening up to each other. And behind the scenes, Grandpa Max has to deal with an unusual alien menace: DN Aliens.
The story is currently being rebooted with expanded content. You can find the new version at Little Moments Rebooted
But you can still find the classic version here
The sequel, Breaking Point will also be rebooted, but until then you can find the classic version here.
Another writer, Erico, has written authorized prequels for the setting. The first two are based on what led Gwendolyn to go back in time in Ben 10,000 and the price she pays for it in Stone in the River and Kiss Me Goodbye
He has also exploring the Little Moments Universe in a series of side stories.
The Sorceress and the Knight A long time ago, when Magic was everywhere, there was a land called Atlantis that protected the Earth, ruled by a Mage King who had many sons, and only one daughter. Her name was Bezel. And she would change the world.
Warlord Ascending On the world of Chimeral, the Chimera Sui Generis cried out for help when the Incursean Empire conquered their world, and none came. But the Chimerans still fought for their freedom, and one was a boy who built things. The Incurseans, and then the galaxy would call him Vilgax.
Rumble in the Jungle Max Tennyson has one last mission to fly over the skies of Vietnam before he heads to Houston for his shot at the moon, and what happens will change his life forever.
They Mostly Come Out at Night The nice thing about working the graveyard shift in Bellwood, Deke Jameson thought, was that basically nobody bothered him. It was boring. He liked boring. Except tonight, it wasn't. Tonight, a huge red alien with four arms in a white striped T-Shirt walked up to buy a smoothie. Tonight, his life changed.
Needs more love.
Little Moments Rebooted contains examples of:
Little Moments Classic contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Gwen gets dubbed 'Crazy' by her best friend.
- In the same vein as the Original Series, Dweeb and Doofus.
- Alpha Bitch: Marci of the three girl Girl Posse, who enjoys tormenting Gwen.
- Angst Coma: After killing Vilgax and assuming Grandpa Max and Gwen are dead, he enters into a short one. Until Gwen actually touches him, he doesn't see or hear her, even when she is right in front of him.
- Argument of Contradictions: They're fond of this.
- Badass Minds Think Alike: Considering how well coordinated the cousins are in combat, Max ran some tests to see if they were telepaths. They weren't. Well, mostly they're not.
- Bad Dreams: Both kids suffer from this.
- Blanket Tug O' War: On New Years Eve. Done in order to maintain some semblance of normality after they kissed.
- Book Dumb: Ben at the start. But, under Gwen's tutelage, he's capable of scoring 90% or more.
- Brought Down to Normal: Ben has the Omnitrix removed, but this merely has him Brought Down to Badass.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Though Ben has the Omnitrix removed, he retains possession of it, and both he and Gwen know it is a matter of time before he puts it on again.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gwen has shades of this. Like that time at the karate tournament in L.A.
- Continuity Nod: Quite a number. It is a fanfic, after all.
- Remember when Aunt Vera's neighborhood was crawling with Body Snatcher like things? Well, Ben checks around on their third summer just to be sure they're all gone.
- Max giving up Apollo 11 is something of a sore spot, both for him and for his sons.
- The alien wedding from season 4. Vera didn't go, since she was a Plumber and the Plumbers had a bad history with the Sludge Puppies. In her case, it's implied to be very bad, but she at least regrets not going for Joel's sake.
- Gwen's recording of Ben telling her she did a good job. It serves to trigger a tearful breakdown, making her feel guilty about not being able to help Ben as he took on Vilgax alone.
- Conveniently Empty Building: Averted. After Vilgax's return, battle, and subsequent death, news reports show civilian casualties and government response.
- Cosmetic Catastrophe: The trio are going to a nice restaurant and Gwen wants to look nice for Ben by taking her friend's advice on makeup. Too bad she doesn't succeed.
- Dis Continuity Nod: If you consider the Original Series as the only canon.
- Max wants to know how alien tech is being smuggled to Earth. At the very least, the Plumbers know some teenager is acting as a middle man. Now who could that possibly be?
- Max, noting how a Plumber named Morningstar had volunteered his son to be a test subject for one of the Plumber's research experiments.
- Ben, joining the soccer team.
- Escalating War: Chapter 10. This Means War.
- Everybody Knew Already: As it turns out, Max and Vera know that the cousins have a thing for each other. It's hinted that their parents are starting to suspect a little as well.
- Friendly Tickle Torture: Apparently, Ben knows a few of Gwen's weak spots.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: Gwen gets suckered into watching Evil Dead 2 on New Year's Eve. Less cliché when one realizes why this movie in particularly terrifies Gwen: A girl chants a magic spell out of a magic book and accidentally summons demons. Unbeknownst to Ben, Gwen has had nightmares of this situation happening to her.
- Girls Have Cooties: Apparently, the roots of their enmity towards one another was due to Ben thinking he got cooties from Gwen when it was actually chicken pox. Doesn't stop them from joking about cooties when they're older.
- Heroic BSoD: Ben and Gwen after Vilgax's attack. After an attack by one of Vilgax's drones during which she is knocked out, Gwen blames herself for letting go of Ben's hand and later for not being there with him when he fought Vilgax. Ben gets it even worse. Ben assumes that the exploding drone was the Rust Bucket, with Gwen and Grandpa Max still inside it. Vilgax taunts him, telling him that they (as well as him and his world) were as good as dead the moment he put on the Omnitrix (because it makes him and his loved ones targets). This causes Ben to snap out of guilt and tear Vilgax apart, which traumatizes him even more, as it is the first time he took a life. He enters a catatonic state until Gwen manages to snap him out of it, and then he freaks out to see Gwen injured, causing him to lash out and strike Grandpa Max when Max "refuses" to treat her. After repeating "help her" again and again, he attempts to pry the Omnitrix off his wrist, only to be interrupted by Gwen. Ultimately, he has Azmuth remove the Omnitrix, but Ben continues to suffer PTSD well into the sequel.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Apparently, the media doesn't trust Ben's alien forms, sometimes citing them as the reason for accidents and disasters in the city.
- Infant Immortality: Averted. They lose Ken.
- Insistent Terminology: They're not pajamas! They're called gi!
- It's All My Fault: Gwen blames herself for Ken's death. Ben tries to coax her out of it.
- Gwen and Ben blame themselves on not being able to help one another when Vilgax attacks them, leading to long periods of awkward silence and guilt. They get better, though.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Why Ben takes off the Omnitrix after his last battle with Vilgax.
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Gwen gets sick of having to lie about her heroing and especially Ben's final conflict with Vilgax.
- Kissing Cousins: You should know this by now.
- Kissing Under the Influence: And that's why they don't talk about New Year's very often.
- Luminescent Blush: Both cousins have a tendency to do this when embarrassed. Gwen quickly realizes that Ben is very susceptible to experiencing this when she is physically affectionate with him (i.e., hugs, a thank-you kiss on the cheek), and it quickly becomes her favorite way of teasing or getting back at Ben for things he'd done to her. Goes from Running Gag to an important plot catalyst when, in an attempt to revenge herself on Ben for flicking her nose, she tries to induce this by "threatening" to kiss him on New Year's Eve, only to be taken by surprise when Ben goes through with it. This is the critical point in the story, as it changes Ben and Gwen's relationship by forcing them to recognize that they were crushing on each other, which they were previously in denial about.
- Made of Indestructium: Apparently, Grandpa Max's Hawaiian T-shirts can survive just about anything. Like fires.
- Mandatory Unretirement: Wes Green tells Max that their old boss wants them back in action due to the arrival of the DNAliens.Wes Green: "...we're only as retired as he wanted us to be."
- Muggle Best Friend: Michelle, the OC of the fic, shares a French class with Gwen.
- My Secret Pregnancy: As a surprise, Gwen was going to find out she would be a big sister when she returned from her summer vacation. Unfortunately, it wasn't the surprise everyone was hoping for...
- Not What It Looks Like: Max walks in on the cousins engaging in a moment of intimacy. Ben says that they were just playing around.
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: Well...
- The New Year's kiss certainly made things a tad bit awkward.
- Ben and Gwen discuss how, by carving their initials into a tree, their relationship won't be like the summers before.
- Playing with Syringes: Project Chimera. Making things that weren't remotely human. And those were the ones that were the least screwed up. Also implied to be the reason behind certain super-powered individuals. They were test subjects let loose. While the project was meant to combat alien threats with supersoldiers derived from alien genes, it got shelved after Vilgax was first defeated. The project is restarted at the behest of Max's boss.
- Puppy Love: They're kids. What did you expect?
- Sacred First Kiss: And that's why Gwen liked New Years.
- Relative Error: Played with. When Michelle meets Ben the first time, Gwen's show of affection towards him makes her think think, he's her boyfriend, which they both vehemently deny. This of course makes her even surer in her observation, until Gwen tells her that he's the cousin, she's been always complaining about. Despite this, Michelle feels that they're too close even for cousins, and she turns out to be correct.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: How their relationship starts, but slowly phases out as the story goes on.
- Sweetie Graffiti: Max and Verdona, when they were younger, carved their initials into a tree after too much bee-lemon! Lemonade!
- Max brings the cousins to the same tree, hands them a knife, and leaves them to work it out.
- Take That!: The Plumbers were formed to keep Earth safe, not to protect the universe.
- The Dreaded: Vilgax, as you know, to pretty much everyone. But after he's defeated, Vera notes the terror in the eyes of the Plumbers as they looked at Ben and Gwen.
- The Glomp: Gwen gives one to Ben in chapter 16.
- She hands another one to him in the epilogue. Knowing that Ben doesn't blame her for the last battle and that he still wanted to see her after soccer/karate made her real happy.
- The Lost Lenore: Verdona to Max. Fitting, given the implications in the original series.
- There Is Only One Bed: New Year's Eve, Ben sleeps in a sleeping bag on the floor while Gwen takes his bed. But then he decides to crawl in with her because "it stinks down there".
- Took a Level in Badass: Ben, although arguably already the biggest badass in the story, becomes even more so when Gwen convinces him to learn karate. While his karate skills are not quite as good as Gwen's (Gwen having much more experience), after a year-and-three-months instruction he is Gwen's "league".
- Tragic Keepsake: Gwen keeps a blue stuffed bear. Ben has a stuffed lion. Both were going to be Ken's toys if he had lived.
- Translator Microbes: Granted to Ben by the Omnitrix. And injected into Gwen by Grandpa Max the night Ben got the watch. What? You thought Tetrax and all the other aliens were speaking English?
- Tsundere: Both cousins could be seen as this. The tsun element softens as time goes on.
- Tyke Bomb: This is what Grandpa Max fears he's turned Gwen and Ben into.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They mellow out into this kind of relationship.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 11.
- Chapter 21.
- Wham Line: End of Chapter 10. "Your mother's lost the baby."
- Chapter 21: "He was right. Old me. It wasn't pleasant."
- You Can't Fight Fate: One of the first things Ben says after killing Vilgax is that his older self was right about it not being pleasant for anyone. While Gwen pushes it out of her mind in favor of more immediate concerns, she is troubled by the fact that Ben's future as the cold and aloof Ben 10,000 may not have changed after all.
Breaking Point Classic contains examples of:
- Badass Normal: Ben, after taking off the Omnitrix. Despite having no powers or weapons, his karate skills (and previous combat experience) allow him to hold his own against the DNAliens. Then he reattaches the Omnitrix to his wrist.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Gwen and Ben when fighting the DNAliens.
- Broken Masquerade: Michelle is freaked out at meeting a human/alien hybrid, even more so that Gwen and Ben don't seem as surprised as her. Then Gwen starts pulling magic spells out and...
- Charm Point: Gwen assures Ben that she didn't fall in love with him because he had the Omnitrix. And vice versa, Ben assures Gwen that he didn't love her just because she could cast a couple of spells.
- Clothing Damage: This nearly happens to Gwen during the fight with the DN Aliens. She's just relieved it didn't happen in front of Ben.
- Continuity Nod: Ok, here it is...
- Furry Freddy gets brought up as an embarrassing point for Gwen.
- Ben's mother decides to draw a picture of Ben and Gwen, only older. Ben apparently has a beard for some reason...
- Gwen notes how experienced Ben should be at fixing the Omnitrix, given how he's caused it to malfunction and break in the past.
- Covert Pervert: Apparently, Gwen kind of likes the fact that Ben got *ahem* excited *ahem* by touching her knee.
- Discontinuity Nod: Continuing on from above...
- The karate teacher's daughter goes to watch Ben play soccer. Sounds kind of like Julie...
- Sandra remembers the one year she tried being 'equals' with Ben by having him say her name instead of 'Mom'. Sounds suspiciously like...
- Meeting the Heatblast/Human hybrid named Alan.
- Everybody Knew Already: Apparently, Ben's parents have wised up to the him and his cousin's relationship.
- Flashback Nightmare: Nightmares where Ben thinks he lost his cousin that time he finally killed Vilgax.
- Flat "What": When Ben says he should be taking care of Gwen during her period instead of his mother, his dad replies with this.
- Friendly Tickle Torture: Ben decides to sneak up on Gwen in the park and deliver one of these.
- Hologram: Max leaves a message for the kids in his new RV.
- Kissing Cousins: Seems pretty self evident by now.
- Mandatory Unretirement: Ben reattaches the Omnitrix to his wrist in order to deal with the threat of the DNAliens.
- No Periods, Period: Averted. Gwen gets to know what puberty feels like.
- Power-Up: After a run in with DN Aliens, Ben decides it's time to put the Omnitrix back on. You knew this was coming.
- Playing with Syringes: The results of Project Chimera: as of now, one Alan Albright.
- Secret Keeper: Michelle won't tell anyone else that the cousins have a thing for one another. Or, apparently, that both cousins have dealt with aliens before.
- Sleep Cute: Even though she was uncertain of whether the kids should continue their relationship or not, Sandra still thought they looked cute together.
- Something Else Also Rises: At the mall, Ben apparently got aroused by feeling his cousin's leg. Gwen notices his discomfort moving from a bench and the fact that he has his hands over his lap. She puts two and two together and...
- The Glomp: Ben decides to give Gwen a flying hug after she kisses the spot on his arm where the Omnitrix attaches.
- The Talk: Gwen even refers to it as the Talk, and it's also the reason why she deduces Ben has an erection.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Ben worries that, having killed Vilgax exactly the way his future self said, he may end up becoming Ben 10,000 anyways.