To return to the main character page index, click here.
The Great LakeGreat Lake is a large lake that lies in the northern part of the Great Forest of Tob and extends to the southern end of the Azerlisia Mountains.
The Lizard MenOne of the demi-human races in the New World. They are humanoid lizards that have shared human and reptilian characteristics. Lizardmen dwell in the southern part of the the Great Lake. They're divided among five tribes: Green Claw, Red Eye, Dragon Tusk, Small Fang, and Razor Tail.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: How their tribes choose their leaders, usually. This makes the transition to becoming Ainz's vassals much easier since his power is so great that they come to revere him as a God-Emperor.
- Happiness in Slavery: This appears to be their ultimate fate in Nazarick. They even wear collars with chains on them, but they don't seem to be in distress.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Their general motif.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Averted. Till now there, no evil lizardman has ever showed up. Aside from occasional fighting between tribes and against the toadmen, the Lizardmen seem quite peaceful and don't show interest in expanding their territory. Compared to them, the humans factions look far more evil.
A lizardman of the Green Claw Tribe and the younger brother of Shasryu Shasha. He is the wielder of Frost Pain, one of the four treasures within the lizardmen tribe.
- The Ace: He's highly intelligent, tactical, one of the finest lizardman warriors, a great diplomat and is very forward thinking. His abilities are so great that despite being a Traveler he holds the second greatest status in his tribe.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Zaryusu is branded with the Mark of a Traveller, a lizardman who left their home to explore the greater world and is outside of the jurisdiction of their tribe. Having a Traveler return is highly unusual and the majority of his tribe's elders want nothing to do with him.
- Back from the Dead: After Crusch agrees to act as The Mole, Ainz uses a Wand of Resurrection to revive him after he was slain by Cocytus.
- Babies Ever After: After his resurrection, Zaryusu marries Crusch and they now have an infant son.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Inverted. Zaryusu is a Chick Magnet but wasn't interested in any females until he met Crusch, who is the only one he shows a hidden, perverted side to.
- Cherry Tapping: Although Frost Pain is capable of large bursts of damage, one of it's lesser-known abilities is to inflict stacking ice damage with every successful contact against a target.
- Chick Magnet: Zaryusu had quite females prior to Crusch who were interested in him.
- Covert Pervert: Zaryusu is nothing but a respectable lizardman who politely rebuffs any females interested in him. However, the moment he met Crusch, he initiated a mating call.
- Defiant to the End: Even though he knew he didn't have a ghost of a chance to defeat Cocytus, he declares that if he's going down, he's going down swinging. He even manages to land a blow on Cocytus (though it was still rendered ineffective because of Cocytus' passive buffs). This impressed Cocytus enough that he petitions to Ainz that Zaryusu be resurrected.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Having taken upon the task of forming an alliance with the other lizard tribes against the undead army, his very first words when he sees the leader of Red Eye is... a mating call.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He has single-handedly brought the level of technology in his tribe out of the stone age to near Renaissance levels.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Zaryusu is regarded as the best the Lizardmen tribes have to offer, but he considers himself as not that great of a person. He uses his status of being a Traveler as an excuse to see himself as an expendable soldier during his fights, always stating that somebody like him would not be missed if he were to die in combat.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Zaryusu has a muscular, broad physique in contrast to Crusch's slim, smaller form.
- An Ice Person: Thanks to mastering Frost Pain, he can both create and resist ice based attacks. Ainz later creates a more powerful copy of it for his own use which is seen in volume 6.
- Love at First Sight: The moment he saw Crusch he first does a mating call before proposing to her.
- Man of Kryptonite: His weapon Frost Pain can generate and gives passive resistance to ice, which is his race's primary weakness.
- Masculine Lines, Feminine Curves: Zaryusu has a more angular, sharp designs while Crusch's body is sleeker and rounder.
- Official Couple: With Crusch Lulu.
- Pale Females, Dark Males: His scales are dark brown while Crusch is albino.
- Prongs of Poseidon: A mix of type 1, 3, and 4. Zaryusu is a fisherman, but is not associated with the ocean, and he does use Frost Pain, a trident, in battle to disarm opponents in addition to its ice powers.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Despite being a Traveler, there were quite a few female lizardmen interested in him in his native village, especially after his technological advancements bore fruit. He politely rebuffed all of them. Then, he met Crusch Lulu...
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Both an inversion and a subversion. By Lizardman standards, he's a bonafide stud while his lover and then mate Crusch is regarded as a freak among their people for her albinism. To the human audience however, Zaryusu is a monster when placed next to Crusch-who of course being a female lizardman doesn't make her the new Ms. Fanservice of the series-but with her smoother skin, smaller frame, sleeker build, and pure white color makes her look more aesthetically appealing by comparison.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: What does Zaryusu do when he first meets Crusch? Perform a mating call and then ask for her hand in marriage.
- Worthy Opponent: His skill and courage earn him Cocytus' respect even though Cocytus is vastly more powerful.
The chieftain of the Green Claw. He is the older brother of Zaryusu Shasha.
- Alliterative Name: Shasryu Shasha.
- Back from the Dead: Volume 8 reveals that he was eventually resurrected by Ainz.
- BFS: When Ainz scrys the lizardmen army searching for their champions, his monologue describes Shasryu as the one wielding a Buster Sword.
- Combat Medic: Despite his large size and even larger choice of weaponry, Shasryu is one of the most capable druids in the Green Claw, nearly on par with Crusch.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Although Zaryusu is a "Traveler" and person-non-grata to the tribe, it's clear he's made very transparent efforts to support Zaryusu's technological efforts and get his new ideas disseminated amongst the tribe.
- Senseless Sacrifice: He's forced into one. Ainz demands that the lizardmen face his champion, Cocytus, before they are allowed to surrender. This is a fight they know they can't win, so he simply enters the fight with the other chieftains minus Crusch plus his brother. That way, less of them will die. He again sacrifices himself in the fight to give Zaryusu a chance to strike Cocytus with what they hope might be a lethal blow, but their opponent is outright immune to attacks of their level.
A white albino lizardmen and acting chieftain of the Red Eye Tribe.
- Adorkable: Becomes extremely flustered when at their first meeting, Zaryusu calls her beautiful and proposes to her.
- All the Other Reindeer: She's lucky to be alive, as albino lizardmen tend to be killed very young, if not by their tribes then by the swamp they live in and its dangers.
- Babies Ever After: After Zaryusu's resurrection, she marries him and they now have an infant son.
- Cannibal Tribe: How the Red Eye tribe avoided taking part in the previous lizardmen civil war for resources. This only lasted until Crusch led them into a revolt against the current chieftan.
- Combat Medic: Her druid spells allow her to play this role, she's no slouch in close combat either.
- Dishing Out Dirt: One of her best offensive spells is summoning "Wetland Fairies", giant constructs of mud capable of taking on lower-to-middle tier undead.
- Heroic Albino: She thinks she is ugly because of her albinism, but Zaryusu instantly falls in love with her when he sees her.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Crusch has a slim, small form in contrasts to Zaryusu's muscular, broad physique.
- Ill Girl: As an albino lizardwoman, she is frail and has high sun sensitivity, leading her to spend most of her time indoors. Compared to other lizardmen, her lack of scales, thinner frame and pale color make her look rather sickly.
- In-Series Nickname: Because of her albinism, she wears a heavy coat of plant reeds to block out the sun whenever she travels outdoors. This has caused certain lizardmen to affectionately refer to her as "Plant Monster" since she resembles a walking stalk of grass with a tail.
- Masculine Lines, Feminine Curves: Crusch has a sleek and round body while Zaryusu's body is more angular and sharp.
- The Mole: Ainz offers to resurrect Zaryusu under the condition that she report any signs of disloyalty among the lizardmen to him. He lies and says that the resurrection will fail and Zaryusu will die if she betrays him.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Lulu's smooth, salamander-esque design is notably different than the more craggy and crocodilian appearance of pretty much every single other lizardman on screen. This includes at least one other (albeit unnamed) female, so it isn't just a gender thing, either.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Ainz gives her a choice. She can just go back to her tribe and live under his rule as is, or she can go back to her tribe with her lover brought back to life in a one time offer, under the condition that she play The Mole regarding any lizardman resistance movements. She accepts.
- Official Couple: With Zaryusu.
- Pale Females, Dark Males: Crusch is an albino while Zaryusu has dark brown scales.
- Pre-Climax Climax: When it becomes clear she can't be part of the final offensive, she immediately hauls Zaryusu to the nearest hut and demands he get her pregnant.
- Squishy Wizard: To a T. She is, by New World standards, a very powerful shaman, but she is so physically frail that even the sun hurts her.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Both an inversion and a subversion. By Lizardman standards, Crusch is regarded as a freak among their people for her albinism while her lover and then mate, Zaryusu is a bonafide stud. To the human audience however, he's is a monster when placed next to her-who of course being a female lizardman doesn't make her the new Ms. Fanservice of the series-but with her smoother skin, smaller frame, sleeker build, and pure white color makes her look more aesthetically appealing by comparison.
The chieftain of the Dragon Tusk Tribe. Like Zaryusu he is a Traveler, but he still earned the respect of his tribe via Trial by Combat.
- Back from the Dead: Volume 7 reveals that he was eventually revived just like Zaryusu.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He couldn't care less if you're an outcast or look like a mutated freak, so long as you are strong.
- Defeat Means Friendship: By Zaryusu.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: He is of the monk class and specialises in claw-to-claw combat, reinforced by generous applications of qi.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: He carries around a massive polearm, wields it like an amateur, and absolutely does not need it.
- Graceful Loser: Easily recognises how much Zaryusu outmaneuvered him during their Trial by Combat and spends the rest of his visit asking him to take over the chieftanship.
- Ki Manipulation: Of the Self-Enhancement and Super Toughness variety.
- The Nicknamer: Tags Crusch with the "Plant Monster" moniker, much to her dismay.
The chieftain of the Small Fang Tribe. He is regarded as having the best defense.
- Cursed with Awesome: Dons a magical armor that irreversibly converts his intelligence to strength.
- Genius Bruiser: Or he would be if not under the effect of the cursed armor. Even so, he's still the most intelligent of the known wearers of said armor. He regains his intellect after being resurrected.
- Informed Ability: His armor grants him the highest defense among lizardmen. A single strike from Cocytus' God-Slaying Emperor Blade cleaves him in half anyways. This is hardly the fault of Zuzu or his armor; the level difference between them was just that extreme. The fact that the God-Slaying Emperor Blade is described as an Absurdly Sharp Blade and an Armor-Piercing Attack cannot have helped either.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Is known for being especially short for lizardmen; still he's a chief, so his strength and combat prowess are well known.
- You No Take Candle: Talks like this due to the intelligence draining effect of his cursed armor. Still, this is far better than previous owners of the armor used to be. In fact, some of the previous bearers lost the ability to speak at all. He regains his ability to speak properly along with his intelligence after being resurrected.
The chieftain of the Razor Tail Tribe. He is regarded as having the best ranged attack.
- The Alcoholic: Loves alcoholic beverages. This is a trait he learned from visiting Dwarven lands.
- Named by the Adaptation: He was never formally named in the novels, but the anime names him Sukyu Juju.
- Never Gets Drunk: His alcohol tolerance is exceptionally high. It takes an entire barrel of ale to even get him "tipsy".
Dwarf KingdomOne of the races found in the New World. Dwarves are skilled in crafting and mining. The Dwarf Kingdom exists in the Azerlisia Mountains.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Beards? Check. Booze? Check. Excellent miners? Check. Argue a lot? Check.
- Not-So-Omniscient Council of Bickering: The council has difficulty agreeing on what to do to protect their people.
Commander-In-ChiefThe current leader of the Dwarven Army of the Dwarf Kingdom.
- The Brigadier: He is perfectly willing accept any aid he can.
- Pragmatic Hero: He is willing to make a deal with Ainz to secure the safety of the nation because he knows they have no other choice.
- Technology Marches On: In-Universe. Runecraft has become more or less obsolete thanks to Tier Magic making mass production possible at the cost of needing expensive materials.
- Determinator: He's willing to risk going to an abandoned city getting attacked by the Quagoa to reach his goals.
- Inadequate Inheritor: His father and grandfather were the left and right hands of the last king of the Dwarf Kingdom and master runesmiths. He on the other hand is even worse than an apprentice runesmith.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: He joins Ainz because the Regency Council willingly surrendered him, other runesmiths, and the art itself, to protect themselves.
- Not So Different: Gondo's desire to keep runecraft alive resonates with Ainz's goal of making the name Ainz Ooal Gown an eternal legend.
Abelion HillsAn area of wilderness between the Slane Theocracy and the Roble Holy Kingdom.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Basically why they follow Jaldabaoth.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: Zoastia and Orthrous are centaur-like, but with the body of carnivores rather than horses.
- Killer Gorilla: Stone-Eaters look like gorillas, that spit rocks.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Magelos are humanoids with four arms.
- Slavery Is a Special Kind of Evil: Many of them are enslaved by Jaldabaoth.
- Snake People: The Naga Raja are this, although they don't get along with regular nagas.
- Beast Man: They look like bipedal goats.
- The Berserker: Some bafolk can become berserkers to resist fear effects.
- Horned Humanoid: All bafolk have horns on their heads.
Elf CountryA country of elves that are currently at war with the Slane Theocracy.
- Hit-and-Run Tactics: The elves rely on this in alongside Home Field Advantage to fight against the much more numerous Slane Theocracy.
- Home Field Advantage: The forest they live in.
- It's All About Me: All he cares about is his own desires, regardless of the consequences of his actions.