Just For Fun: Role Association
"Kim Possible: Okay, so Belle and Eric Matthews are a crime-fighting team aided by a naked mole rat with the voice of Bart Simpson and the kid from Smart Guy. Said team fights Bender, Joan of Arc, Professor Utonium, Guru Pathik, Khan, Remy the Rat, Sookie St. James, Reese, Deputy Trudy Wiegel, and the blond girl from High School Musical, all while receiving advice from Harvey Birdman and Monica and Ross's dad on Friends, and being tormented by twin brothers who grow up to be Freddie from Scooby-Doo. That sentence took a half-hour of Wikipedia research."
Imagine you are watching your favorite movie. Somehow, you recognize the character's face
from another TV show. If you can't shake the thought of the actor's other role, you can insert that role into the plot of the movie, making your viewing an interesting trip down memory lane. It's Actor Allusion
, I Am Not Spock
, Hey, It's That Guy!
and Hey, It's That Voice!
taken Up to Eleven
, all rolled up into the plot of a work.
Writing a role association is simple. Just for Fun
, insert any actor's random roles (well-known
or your favorites characters) into the plot of your favorite work. This way, readers can discover new roles.
open/close all folders
- Larxene is the spokesperson for Wendy's.
- Abby did the voiceover for a Volkswagen ad that featured Skills Taylor.
- Gabriel did a Pepsi Max commercial.
- The Engineer sells cars.
- Apollo Creed knows the sure sign of a good time with Bud Light.
- Sgt. Hartman demonstrates why drill sergeants make lousy therapists in a GEICO commercial.
- Dexter will drive the car he wants to drive.
- Janet Weiss wants you to be healthy by drinking milk.
- Wheatley wants to talk to you about mortgages and wonders if squirrels are relevant to the whole thing.
- J. Jonah Jameson is here to talk to you about home insurance.
- Jack McCoy would also like you to have insurance, as would President Palmer.
- Playhouse Disney (2001-2007): Jimmy Neutron hosts a preschool block, and his friend Harley Quinn gives out the word of the day. The announcer is Miss Grotke.
- Kevin Flynn knows what batteries America trusts.
- On the other hand, Chief Zed wants to put a pink, fuzzy, battery-operated bunny out of the picture.
- Jake Sully and Noah are The Vet and The N00b.
- Cellnote is a secret agent that promotes plastic bags. Oddly enough, so was Howard Cunningham.
- Ulli Künkel unpimps ze autos.
- Before becoming Maximal leader, Optimus Primal was an Airplane and a Formula 1 race car.
- Megatron, meanwhile, talks about male enhancement.
- Ciel Phantomhive wants to know if you got a car yet.
- Gob Bluth advertises trucks.
- As does Diego, who is much more snarky about it.
- Turns out that Lee Scoresby also advertises trucks.
- Goliath promotes The Navy in a thought-provoking manor.
- In Italy, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Princess Celestia, and Gaz want you to buy dolls, while Optimus Prime sells his own species.
- Meanwhile, Edward Newgate, Towelie, Patrick Star (Boing) and Captain Marvel remind you which programs are coming up next on various channels (Captain Marvel does it in two different ones).
- Patrick is also the Frosted Flakes tiger, while Towelie supports British Airways. Bummer serves the Honda Civic.
- On radio, Vegeta is always talking about cars and car insurance, Haruhi Suzumiya once mistook a gas station promotion for a talent show and King Dedede is the supermarket wizard.
- Spain: Mordecai did an ad for Coke Zero; Lindsay appears to have recorded a commercial for Spotify.
- France: Alex Louis Armstrong is selling Frosted Flakes! As for Trent, he did an English-language ad for Renault.
- Sephiroth promotes the Toyota Prius.
- Wheeljack is a cowboy who promotes 5-Hour Energy.
- Lil Deville's foot is smooshed in a cupcake.
- Fiona Gallagher (the US one), Jess Day, Lois Lane and Claire Bennet have all sung the praises of cotton.
- Miss Bennet, Madison Montgomery, Veronica Mars (or Kirby, Jill and Chloe, if you prefer), Gabriella Montez, Isis and Cece Jones owe their gorgeous skin to Neutrogena.
- In Germany, ALF used to sell building savings contracts. He looked like a fox for some strange reason.
- Also in Germany, Korben Dallas (or maybe Obélix?) ruined Praktiker by giving 20% discount on everything except pet food.
- In Japan Kamen Rider Ichigo wants you to play the Sega Saturn until your fingers fall off!
- Stimpy and Cave Johnson are living candies.
- Gabrielle Solis and Joan Harris give their cats Sheba.
Real Life Couples
- Perry White is married to Martha (Ma) Kent.
- Lara Croft and Tyler Durden have many children together.
- Emily Charlton is engaged to Jim.
- One of the Three Faces of Eve was married to Doc Hudson.
- Snake Plissken loves Private Benjamin.
- Nigel Tufnel loves Laurie Strode.
- Janet was partners with Andy Dufresne.
- The Closer is sweet on a high school terrorist.
- Carrie is married to Simba; they have three kids.
- Lindsey Funke is married to Dory.
- Foxxy Cleopatra is married to an American Gangster (okay, not really, but he did make an album dedicated to the film).
- Qui Gon-Jinn was married to a divorced mother of twins. Sadly...
- Anastasia reportedly left her husband Bill Clinton (in 2011) for Maximus.
- Mrs. Turnblad loves Jetstream.
- John MacClane used to be married to a fallen Angel; she then got married to Steve Jobs, and after they split he hooked up with a dumpy ballerina from the '70s.
- Borat is married to Gloria Cleary.
- Fred loves Daphne!
- Maureen (or is it Mimi?) loves Benny!
- Mindy McConnell is married to Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
- Mr. Conductor (the first one) is married to Anya Amasova.
- The Medium is exes with The Punisher.
- Mr. and Mrs. Ennis del Mar were divorced.
- Technically they were never married (in real life). They lived together and split up and then unfortunately he passed away. They do have a daughter though.
- Agent Jay (who was almost The One) and Niobe are married with children.
- Satine used to be married to Ethan Hunt; now she's married to an Aussie country singer and he was married Joey (until she quietly enacted her escape plan, on his birthday and during a less-than-steller box office weekend).
- San and Ashitaka dated; now she's married to Will Graham.
- The broken-up couple became a real broken-up couple.
- Alicia Nash married a figment of her husband's imagination.
- God (not that one, for once) was engaged to Deadpool; Deadpool is divorcing Black Widow, who's rumored to have had a fling with Harvey Milk, who is Verity the fencing instructor's and Jenny's ex.
- Velma Kelly married Gordon Gecko.
- Jareth is married to Martia.
- Daredevil and Elektra got a happy ending after all!
- Basically everyone in Cast Incest.
- Jack Ryan was married to Vicki Vale.
- Ginny Weasley is engaged to young Gellert Grindelwald.
- The star-crossed older couple in Letters To Juliet already hooked up, broke up, reunited and got married in real life.
- Parker is, at the very least, the mother of Earl Hickey's son.
- Morpheus is married to Zoe.
- Two crazy artists got hitched about twenty years after they first acted together (awww!). Or if you want to be a bit creepier a crazy chick who's being abused because who's gonna believe a crazy chick? married Anton Chigurh.
- Sibyl Trelawney's marriage to Guilderoy Lockhart was broken up by Bellatrix Lestrange, who later came between an Alien Witch Doll note and her director.
- Sookie married Bill.
- Sniper is married to GLaDOS.
- Wolverine is married to an owl (there's a "Late Late Night With Craig Ferguson" Twitter joke in there somewhere).
- Sabertooth married 2005 Ann Darrow.
- Dexter doesn't have to worry about Cast Incest with his foster sister now that they're getting divorced.
- Roy Mustang married Lust. Presumably she fell for him after he burned her to death?
- Gob Bluth and Leslie Knope were married at one time.
- Karen and Spongebob are married and have two kids.
- The Penguin was married to Carla Tortelli.
- TRON and Laura Ingalls, until recently.
- Evie Carnahan is married to James Bond.
- Zack and Aerith are now married!
- Heero Yuy and Lana Lang have been in a relationship since 2004.
- A supermom is married to The Shoveler.
- Karen is married to Ron Swanson.
- The Impossible Girl is married to Ned Stark's Bastard
- Sherlock: Mr. & Mrs. John Watson have two kids; Mr. & Mrs. Holmes are Sherlock's actual parents (but not Mycroft's).
- Mexico: Winnie Cooper and Kevin Arnold had two kids: Twilight Sparkle and Snails.
- In Italy, Dr. Pryor is Diana Lombard, Il Palazzo and Rat-Man's father. Il Palazzo was married to Vicky, giving birth to Jade. Diana is Trent and Ferb's mother. The Other Vicky married Irving.
- France: Homer and Marge got married. Sportacus divorced Ariel to be with Raven. Dexter married his mom, and MacGyver married Endive.
- Hannah Montana was engaged to Gale Hawthorne (who's Thor Odinson's real-life brother).
- Dr. Strangelove was married to Mary Goodnight for much of The Sixties; it ended acrimoniously.
- In Japan: Princess Bubblegum has married the Genie after he divorced Jigglypuff.
- Sasuke Uchiha is married to Sode no Shirayuki, while his fellow ninja Gaara is married to Shirley Fennette.
- Aizen Sosuke is married to Precia Testarossa, and they're still Happily Married.
- In Hungary, B-Mo is married to Rorschach. D.J. is married to Bellatrix Lestrange. Mandy is married to Wakko Warner.
- River Song was once married to Voldemort.
- Willy Wonka was married to Emily Litella.
- In Poland, Gwen is married to Tyler. In Brazil, however, Tyler married Dory.
- Jamie Macdonald is married to Dr Stapleton.
- Dr. Bashir was once married to Major Kira. They even had a child together, while still filming the show - and the pregnancy was written into the show, sort of.
- The Gipper was once married to Angela Channing.
- Zelda and Clifford's eldest son is Dipper.
- In Brazil, Felina's daughters are Helen Lewengrub and Evian Graham.
- Della Street and Ralph Hinkley are mother and son.
- Recently, Italian!Jasmine is the announced as Italian!Ursula's daughter.
- Serena van der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf's respective husbands are Hal Jordan and Seth Cohen.
- In France, Hercules and Anne-Marie are brother-and-sister.