Go the Fuck to Sleep is a 2011 children's book parody by Adam Mansbach.It is the lament of a man whose child will not go the fuck to sleep. It went viral in galleys, and was then helped by an audiobook read by Samuel L. Jackson (and later on, by Werner Herzog).Was later turned into a Bowdlerised version aimed at children called Seriously, Just Go to Sleep. In September 2014, a proper sequel was released, You Have to Fucking Eat.
- Affectionate Parody: Of the rhyming, saccharine books normally read to small children at bedtime. This one assuredly cannot be read to a child at bedtime or any other time, unless you buy the aforementioned Bowdlerised version.
- Bleep Dammit: The moon on the front cover covers all of two letters of the word "Fuck"; it isn't really fooling most readers.
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Gag Censor: On the book's cover, the central word in the title is obscured by the Moon.
- Getting the Baby to Sleep: The book is entirely this trope, being about the desperation to send a child to sleep.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Seldom-Seen Species: One page mentions and has illustrations of pangolins.
- Shaggy Dog Story: The parents succeed in putting their child in bed after much effort, but the beep of their microwave instantly undoes it.
- Subverted Kids Show: What with the swearing and all.
I'll read you one very last TV Tropes page if you swear you'll go the fuck to sleep.