Western Animation: Taz-Mania
"He puts the Taz in Taz-Mania
Down in Taz-Mania
Come to Taz-Mania
We mean you!
Wa waee weda whe spzzz!"
This 65-Episode Cartoon
series focuses on the vicious, carnivorous Looney Tunes Anti-Villain
, the Tasmanian Devil
. Only now he's not any of the three (unless he's trying to eat the Keewee, but we'll get back to that); instead it just shows Taz in his native Tasmania, a land way under, down under, where the sky is always yellow in the rain or shine. Taz spends time with his family, hangs with his pals, collects bottle caps, works at his job as a bellhop and tries to eat the kiwi. Sure, it may sound boring, but no matter what Taz does
, Hilarity Ensues
. Also featured:
Have we left anyone out? Oh yeah. Don't forget Taz.
- Jean - Taz's socially active homemaker mother, who is very friendly and kind.
- Hugh - Taz's laid-back Bing Crosby-ish dad whose advice always seems to end in "Blah Blah Blah Yakety Schmackity". This possibly symbolises how nobody listens to him, or to Taz's wild manner of speaking.
- Molly - Taz's sister who is embarrassed by Taz's behavior and constantly threatens him with baths ("Taz hate water").
- Jake - Taz's neurotic little brother.
- Dog - Taz's pet turtle who acts like a dog.
- Drew - Taz's equally laid-back uncle, who appears only in the "Road to ... Tazmania" episodes (playing the role of Bob Hope).
- Digeri Dingo - An egotistical bottlecap collector who sometimes cons Taz out of his. His ego often leads to his downfall. A notorious Fourth Wall Observer with a ton of deadpan snark in his system.
- Wendell T. Wolf - A neurotic Tasmanian wolf who believes himself to be last of his kind, and who pathetically tries to force Taz to befriend/protect him.
- Francis X. Bushlad - The son of the chief of the mudpeople, who hunts Taz to complete his passage into manhood but acts like an Ivy League rich kid.
- Bushwacker Bob - The irritable owner of the hotel Taz works at, thinks Taz is a slacker and a screw up.
- And his mother called Mum - Bob's mother, treats Bob's workers (including Taz) with kindness while criticizing and insulting her son.
- Constance - A heavy-set koala maid for Bob's hotel who has a crush on Taz.
- Mr. Thickley - A wallaby tour guide for Bob's hotel who doesn't really know anything.
- Bull Gator & Axl - Two hunters who want to capture Taz and send him to a zoo, for all the zoo-going children of the world. They usually fail because Axl "does something stupid", that tends to result in a knock upside the head for Axl, and/or the both of them getting mauled by Taz.
- Buddy Boar - Taz's best friend who acts like a Hollywood agent. By season 2, he's Put on a Bus, making minor cameo appearances afterward.
- The Platypus Brothers - Timothy and Daniel, two genius inventors who use Taz as their guinea pig.
- The Kiwi - A tiny yellow bird that Taz can't seem to eat, because it easily outwits him. It makes the Road Runner look like a snail.
- The Bushrats - Rats that attack people and speak in subtitles.
- Willie Wombat - A character added to the show later, who is good-natured, says hello to everything and everyone and complains about his role on the show which is a Bugs Bunny Expy.
So as not to create an entire family of Tazes, despite being the eldest child of three, Taz himself is portrayed as being somewhat backwards, with his family being (relatively) civilised and fully capable of speaking English. However, they too are also fully capable of causing carnage, though they have more self-control. His parents are especially patient and understanding with him... like they would be if he was... you know... special.
This show contains examples of: