You Put the X in XY
At some point in one's life, they will come across many different people with views, thoughts, and beliefs than their own, especially if they live in a universe
where there are aliens, monsters,
, or what have you co-existing with humans; in fact, it doesn't even have to be beings from a different species in order for you come across someone different, considering that each and every human is unique.
As a result, that person will come across someone he/she loathes with absolute intensity (i.e. The Rival
, Alpha Bitch
, Big Bad
, etc.) or someone he/she loves/admires so much that they'd sacrifice anything just to please them (i.e. Big Brother Mentor
, Love Interest
, etc.). But how do they go about describing this person they hate/like? Not any old compliment/insult will do.
Therefore, the person must describe them as the epitome
of the trait that they loathe/admire. Thus, they say "Bob, you put the X in XY", Y being a word somewhat relevant to the context and X being a compliment or an insult phonetically contained within it, e.g. "Bob, you truly put the Ass in Ambassador
There's also the related "you can't have XY without X" phrase, for example, "You can't have consensual without sensual."
Anime and Manga
- A slogan for Planters Peanuts is "Nutrition starts with Nut!"
- A magazine ad for Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix has the tagline: "These two ladies put the 'ass' in 'assassin'."
- In the dub of Sgt. Frog, Natsumi complains, "Those frogs put the 'noise' in 'annoys.'"
- Ally McBeal episode "Just Friends"
John Cage: You put the "fish" in "superficial".
- Hannah Montana episode "Everybody Was Best Friend Fighting"
Guillermo Montoya: ...you put the tennis in Tennessee.
- Kitchen Confidential
Jack Bourdain: You put the "ho" in "hostess".
- QI episode "Bears"
- Best Week Ever
Doug Benson: She puts the "bra" in "abracadabra".
- The Larry Sanders Show episode "Roseanne's Return"
Arthur: She puts the 'supe' in supermodel.
- From Buffy:
Buffy: And what are we if not women up to a challenge?
Willow: Exactly! I mean, did we not put the "grrr" in "girl"?
- In Queer as Folk, Emmett dresses up as a geisha for Ben's surprise party and Ted tells him that he "puts the gay back in geisha."
- The My Name Is Earl episode, "Chaz Dalton's Space Academy".
Earl: You put the "ass" in astronaut! You put the "not" in astronaut!
- One game of "Hats" in Whose Line Is It Anyway? sees Wayne wearing a Pope hat.
"I put the PUH!
- Family Matters episode, "Life of the Party":
Steve: You two guys put the "ick" in "pathetic"!
- One of the last lines to the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego theme song:
She put the "miss" in "misdemeanor" when she stole the beans from Lima
- In "Chimera", an episode of The X-Files, Mulder and Scully learn a married small town sheriff has been sleeping with several women besides his wife.
: Gotta hand it to you, sheriff. You really put the "service" in "Protect and serve."
- In the Big Finish Doctor Who adventure "The Skull of Sobek", the Doctor's companion starts experiencing strange visions. When he finds out, he remarks "You put the Lucie in hallucination."
- Variation in Schlock Mercenary.
: ...puts the 'hot' back into 'shut up'. Kevyn
: 'Shut up' doesn't have
a 'hot'. Schlock
: But 'shot up' does. Elf
: I like the way you spell, Sergeant.
- This strip from The System.
- Scary Go Round: "You can't say 'nautical' without saying 'naughty.' I tried; it's not even a word."
- Hercules "put the glad in gladiator".
- In the Batman: The Animated Series episode "The Man Who Killed Batman", Harley Quinn says to the Joker, "You put The Fun in Funeral."
- In the episode of The Simpsons where Ned Flanders becomes principal of Springfield Elementary:
Flanders: Well, tippity-top of the A.M. to every-good-body here. As chairman of the PTA, I am de-diddley-lighted to take over here and I think I can put the "pal" back in "principal".
[The students laugh.]
Chalmers: Heh heh, yeah. And I'll put the "super" back in "superintendent".
[Silence. One person coughs.]
- And seconds later:
Jimbo: I was wondering, do you, er, what's your policy on, uh, lunch?
Ned: Well, let me just say I want to put the "stew" back in "students".
[The students laugh again.]
- The "spring" in "Springfield"
- "Maybe this key will be the key to putting the 'key' in 'anarchy'."
- In one episode of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Sheen tells Timmy "You know how to put the 'mental' in 'experimental'."
- From an episode of The Critic: "We put the 'harm' in 'pharmaceuticals'."
- Vicky from The Fairly OddParents is called "Icky with a V" by Timmy behind her back. It even led to a Chip Skylark song called "Icky Vicky."
- The Expository Theme Tune for Taz-Mania has this:
Have we left anyone out?
Oh yeah, don't forget Taz.
He puts the "Taz" in "Taz-Mania",
Down in Taz-Mania;
Come to Taz-Mania...
We mean you!