Web Animation: Death Battle
Boomstick: He's Wiz and I'm Boomstick.Death Battle is a special hosted by Screwattack.com and is presented by "Wizard" (Ben Singer) and "Boomstick" (Chad James). Episodes 20-29 were animated by Mr Lange, aka Short Factor (Jordan Lange), with Episodes 29 onwards animated by "Mali", Torrian Crawford & Eric Marte. The point of the show is to take two similar characters and pit them against each other, analyzing their respective strengths and weaknesses to see who would win.So far, there are 54 videos. The first 18 episodes were featured exclusively on ScrewAttack's YouTube account, and starting with episode 19 the series is now posted to the redesigned screwattack.com, with a delayed posting of past fights to their Youtube page.The Rules (unwritten and official) of a Death Battle are:
Wizard: And it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.
Wizard: And it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.
- The warriors can only know of each other if they do know each other in canon in both official universes (as seen with Leonardo strategizing in his match against his brothers). Otherwise, they cannot know each other's movesets. Even if they do know of each other in canon, no one is allowed to prepare for the fight (e.g. Batman and Spider-Man had to use their default weapons instead of using weapons designed to exploit each other's weaknesses, like Spider-Man's weakness to pesticides).
- Characters are allowed to know each other's names (Lex & Iron Man) and/or their internet rivalry (Sonic & Mario or Deadpool & Deathstroke), but can't know each other's physical traits.
- To prevent fighters from exploiting weaknesses of others for a cheap victory, a character's weaknesses normally only come into play if the enemy can find a way to detect a weakness (like how Superman and Terminator had x-ray vision) or if there is a specific reason why it cannot be exploited (such as Goku being too honorable to use Kryptonite on Superman). Other than that, if a combatant survives a match long enough, they may discover a way to counter the fighting style of their opponent (like how Black Orchid countering Ivy's whip, or Spider-Man knowing that Batman had explosive batarangs).
- A battle has to end with the loser dying (though not necessarily at the hands of the winner, as shown when Dan Hibiki accidentally ingested one of Hercule Satan's capsules), or at least "dead" as far as physical forms are concerned (for example, being reduced to little more than a ghost, or gods and similar characters left with no working mortal avatar to continue fighting with).
- Pacifist warriors will not have their peaceful nature interrupt the fight, and both combatants will have any personality restraints from killing removed (such as Spider-Man and Batman fighting each other to the death when they would not do so otherwise). However, if their traditional arsenal uses nonlethal weapons, they cannot change it (e.g. Batman). They can only use lethal weapons if they have them as part of their regular arsenal.
- All other traits will be represented with accuracy based on the warrior's canon universes (as stated with Goku. Expanded universes, like GT, are only allowed to be mentioned if they do not conflict with the original canon, like the Dragon Ball manga). All consistent and canon sources available during the time of the episode's release will be examined by the hosts (for example, the old Star Wars Expanded Universe was accounted for Luke Skywalker because the Luke vs. Harry Potter fight was produced about three years before Disney declared the original EU to be Alternate Continuity, and it was still accounted for the Samus vs. Boba Fett Remastered fight one year after said declaration because it was produced 10 months before the release of The Force Awakens, which completely overwrites the post-Return of the Jedi timeline in which Boba Fett got a greater number of appearancesnote ). Characters with multiple incarnations, such as Link, Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Godzilla, will be composites combining the best aspects of their various incarnations, unless said incarnation is drastically different from other incarnations. If a specific incarnation of a character is chosen, the canon used will most likely be the most popular depiction (e.g. G1 Starscream, G4 Rainbow Dash, and post-Crisis Superman and Batman). The research will avoid biases.
- B. If one warrior is allowed abilities from a non-canon source, the other warrior must be allowed to use their own non-canon sources as well.
- C. Also, if a certain depiction of the warrior has them ridiculously overpowered or inconsistent (like Shao Khan turning into a hydra in the live-action films), or powers that would be difficult to examine logically, (e.g. pre-1986 Superman could destroy entire solar systems WITH A SNEEZE and could both "super-weave" and "super-shapeshift") then it will not be used.
- D. Not every weapon owned by the warriors in every canon will be used. Instead, only the ones they are commonly using (as seen with Rogue or Batman) or their best or most iconic weapons (e.g. Link and Cloud were equipped with their best armor and magic, Raiden used the Murasama rather than the weaker HF Blade) will be used.
- E. If a warrior originated from foreign media, the American dub will not be used if it contradicts the original source in any way (i.e. Goku's abilities used the Japanese canon, not the English dubs and mistranslations — which, for sake of example, slowed down his Instant Transmission).
- F. A piece of media that claims to be canon but clearly isn't will be avoided. For instance, the 1998 Godzilla film is not used to measure Godzilla's abilities because, as was shown in Godzilla Final Wars, the monster Zilla is clearly not Godzilla. Also alternate forms of media might be avoided, like Shao Khan's film depiction (where he can transform into a hydra).
- G. Because the warriors are examined by their latest depiction, they cannot use abilities that they lost in their past (ie how Shukaku was removed from Gaara or how Kratos, Spawn and Raiden gave up their divine immortality.)
- H. Claims made by fans will only be considered canon if the official franchise or character from an official source recognizes it, as seen by Chuck Norris recognizing and acknowledging fan claims in his book "The Official Chuck Norris Fact Book: 101 of Chuck's Favorite Facts and Stories".note
- To get as many common abilities as possible, the warrior will be shown at their latest depictions or their oldest age as an active warrior (e.g. Harry Potter is depicted as he is at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when he learned all his skills, not while he was a young kid in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone where he only knew minor spells. Or Goku knowing Super Saiyan 4 and being 53 years old, which is his age in DBGT). However future canon will be avoided if it unbalances the fight as some characters will gain more power - like Superman in the future in DC One Million - while some characters will grow old and weak - like Batman in The Dark Knight Returns. In the case of 2D end battles, a character's depiction in the end fight is limited by what sprites are available for them, such as Harry Potter having their appearances as children despite using abilities and weapons obtained as adults, and Nightmare appearing in his SoulCalibur IV form.
- Summoning other combatants is not allowed unless the battle calls for it (like how Eggman and Wily fought with their armies). Unless the battle asks for multiple characters for each side, the combatants must fight alone, even if they are used to fighting with a partner (like how Pikachu wasn't allowed to have Ash command him).
- B. The only exception is if the fighter uses a creature for an attack that can reasonably be replaced by a non-combatant projectile (like how Peach can summon a sheep that doesn't do anything but fly at the opponent and put them to sleep with contact, or the Goomba firing Mini-Goombas) or when the act would fall under using the environment to their advantage (like how Batman can summon bats from the surrounding area with his gadgets), but the fighter cannot be dependent on these creatures and, in cases of summoning as an attack, the creatures cannot act on their own (like how Link and Cloud were not allowed to use summons or fairies because the summons attack on their own once summoned and the fairies are sentient beings making a decision to help Link once he runs out of hearts).
- C. Another exception is a Doombot or fake clones, as seen with Wily and Dr. Doom. However this clone cannot fight alongside the original simultaneously as it would mean the opponent would be outnumbered.
- The terrain chosen in the fight will either be a terrain from the fighters' franchises (like Superman's Metropolis or Goku's mountainous terrain) or would be a location that both warriors are experienced in (like Batman and Spider-Man fighting at night in a city). The area itself however doesn't matter nor play any role in determining the outcome of the battle, and even the entire battle itself is just a visual representation of the researchers' conclusions. The environment only becomes important if a character's skills use it, like with Leonardo hiding in the shadows or Chun-Li/Mai wall-jumping.
- The fight at the end of the episode is not what determines the victor in battle. It is nothing more than a fun little dramatization showcasing most if not all of the research displayed beforehand of the combatants in action. The winners are determined before the battle through quasi-scientific analysis of their abilities, and the character with the objectively better abilities will win.
open/close all folders
- "Boba Fett vs. Samus Aran." Result
- "Akuma vs. Shang Tsung." Result
- "Rogue vs. Wonder Woman." Result
- "Goomba vs. Koopa." Result
- "Mike Haggar vs. Zangief." Result
- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Battle Royale." (Blocked from YouTube due to copyright but can still be viewed on ScrewAttack's website.) Result
- "The Winner of the TMNT Battle Royale vs. Zitz." Result
- "Yoshi vs. Riptor." Result
- "Felicia vs. Taokaka." Result
- "Kratos vs. Spawn." Result
- "White Bomberman vs. Dig Dug." Result
- "Vegeta vs. Shadow." Result
- "Mario vs. Sonic." Result
- "Justin Bieber vs. Rebecca Black." Result note
- "Luke Skywalker vs. Harry Potter." Result
- "Chun-Li vs. Mai Shiranui." Result
- "Starscream vs. Rainbow Dash." Result
- "Master Chief vs. Doomguy." Result
- "Doctor Eggman note vs. Doctor Wily note ." Result
- "Princess Peach vs. Princess Zelda." Result
- "Thor vs. Raiden." Result
- "Cloud Strife vs. Link." Result
- "Batman vs. Spider-Man." Result
- "Pikachu vs. Blanka." Result
- "Son Goku vs. Superman." Result
- "He-Man vs. Lion-O." Result
- "Shao Kahn vs. M. Bison." Result
- "Ryu Hayabusa vs. Strider Hiryu." Result
- "Ivy Valentine vs. Black Orchid." Result
- "Fox McCloud vs. Bucky O'Hare." Result
- "The Terminator vs. RoboCop." Result
- "Luigi vs. Tails." Result
- "Venusaur vs. Charizard vs. Blastoise Pokémon Battle Royale." Result
- "Fulgore vs. Sektor." Result
- "Godzilla vs. Gamera." Result
- "Captain America vs Batman." Result
- "Tigerzord note vs. Gundam Epyon note ." Result
- "Ryu vs Scorpion." Result
- "Deadpool vs Deathstroke." Result
- "Kirby vs Majin Buu." Result
- "Ragna vs. Sol Badguy." Result
- "Gaara vs. Toph Beifong." Result
- "Boba Fett vs. Samus Aran REMASTERED." Result
- "Chuck Norris vs. Segata Sanshiro." Result
- "Guts vs. Nightmare" Result
- "Iron Man vs. Lex Luthor" Result
- "Beast vs. Goliath" Result
- "Solid Snake vs. Sam Fisher" Result
- "Darth Vader vs. Doctor Doom"Result
- "Goku vs. Superman 2" Result
- "Donkey Kong vs. Knuckles" Result
- "Wolverine vs. Raiden" Result
- "Hercule Satan vs. Dan Hibiki" Result
- "Yang Xiao Long vs. Tifa Lockhart" Result
- "Mega Man vs. Astro Boy" * Result
- "Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye"
The show has two spinoffs, One Minute Melee and The Desk of Death Battle, the latter of which not involving two characters engaged in battle, but involving bits of trivia about characters discovered by the Death Battle researchers that wasn't presented in their episode.Also with a character sheet for the combatants and hosts, as well as an episode list.The official Twitter can be found here and the official Facebook can be found here