Can you dig it?
"Prepare for justice, shovel justice!"Shovel Knight
— Shovel Knight
is a 2D Platform Game
by Yacht Club Games, an Indie developer consisting of former employees of Way Forward
Technologies, set for the Wii U
, Nintendo 3DS
, and Steam
(including Mac and Linux). Featuring a Retraux
8-bit graphical style and inspirations from the likes of Mega Man
, and Dark Souls
, Shovel Knight
is a game that seeks to pay homage to the 8-bit era
, albeit after sending it through a decidedly rose tinted filter, while also digging out its own place in the Video Game
The story goes that our eponymous hero has come to the valley to rescue his lost beloved from the wicked Enchantress. However, the Enchantress has dispatched eight villainous knights known as The Order of No Quarter to stand between him and his goal. Wielding his trusty ShovelBlade
, Shovel Knight must fight his way through The Order of No Quarter and their minions to reach the lair of the Enchantress and dispense shovel justice once and for all!
Shovel Knight contains examples of:
- Annoying Laugh: Apparently Polar Knight has one. (It's like water torture.)
- Another Side, Another Story: Specter Knight, Plague Knight, and King Knight were selected by fan vote and will be made playable outside of the games multiplayer, complete with their own altered versions of the normal story.
- Big Bad: The Enchantress
- Bottomless Pits: A platforming staple. Watch your step!
- Chandelier Swing: In King Knight's level, although they will fall.
- Cool Airship: Propeller Knight's level.
- Cool Mask: Sported by Plague Knight.
- Evil Counterpart: Polar Knight.
- The Black Knight is a more traditional example.
- Evil Genius: Tinker Knight, Plague Knight, and The Enchantress.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The main character is a knight. Instead of a sword, his weapon of choice is a shovel.
- The Faceless: Most of the Order of No Quarter wear helmets, so their faces aren't visible. Shovel Knight himself also counts.
- Falling Chandelier of Doom: In King Knight's level.
- Fireballs: Currently the domain of the wizard enemies and the fire wand sub-weapon.
- Flip Screen Scrolling: Though usually done out of necessity, it is included for the retro aesthetic.
- Gender Flip: A planned mode for the game will switch the genders of every major character. The Enchantress becomes the Enchanter, the Order of No Quarter becomes all female, and so on. The game's dialogue will even be changed slightly to reflect it.
- Goomba Springboard: Shovel Bouncing off of enemies results in this.
- Grim Reaper: Specter Knight is a version of it.
- Glass Cannon: Mentioned by name, this is what Propeller Knight might be if he's playable.
- Humongous Mecha: Used by Tinker Knight.
- Mad Scientist: Plague Knight.
- New Game+: Planned to be implemented, allowing upgrades to be carried over, but also increasing the difficulty of the game.
- Official Fan-Submitted Content: Those who paid for it through the game's crowd-funding campaign will be put into the game in sprite form. A small few people also paid for the opportunity to become director of the studio for one day. Winners of the fan art contest that created original material will have it featured in the game in some fashion.
- Platform Game
- Quirky Boss Squad: The Order of No Quarter
- Recurring Boss: The Black Knight will be an (admittedly more humorous) example, from the sounds of it.
- Retraux: An 8-bit style done out of love, not convenience. The tribute to 8-bit games is deliberately idealized though, so the occasional cheat is done to improve the presentation.
- RPG Elements: The gems found throughout the levels are planned to be used as currency for upgrades.
- Schizo Tech: Propeller Knight and Treasure Knight both own an airship and an underwater vessel, respectively, despite the game supposedly being set in medieval times. Tinker Knight is particularly notable, as his specialty is building complex machinery. Possibly Plague Knight as well, since his stage is in an "alchemical lab."
- Silence, You Fool!: King Knight responds to Shovel Knight's promise to dispense shovel justice with an angry cry of "SILENCE!"
- Sinister Scythe: Specter Knight's weapon of choice,further strengthening his Grim Reaper motif.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Polar Knight's stage.
- Squishy Wizard: Plague Knight, given his description as "physically weak."
- The Undead: Specter Knight is a "phantasm" who only sides with the Enchantress in exchange for her prolonging his undeath.
- You Dirty Rat: With propellers that carry them around. They serve as Mooks in King Knight's level.