Started on October 21, 2011, Nintendo Direct is a semi-monthly webcast providing official information about Nintendo
games and consoles. It is presented by Satoru Iwata
, as well as Reggie Fils-Aime in North America, Satoru Shibata in Europe, and Hiroyuki Fukuda in South Korea. The show can be viewed on the Nintendo eShop, YouTube
, and the official Nintendo website
Bringing the following examples directly to you:
- Art Shift: Done occasionally to promote certain games, such as Iwata having a "paper border" when presenting Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and a Lego Iwata showing off Lego City Undercover.
- Perhaps most notable with Tomodachi Life, which prominently features Mii versions of Nintendo executives, and even opens with a Mii version of Bill Trinen.
- Catchphrase: "Directly to you."
- Dream Within a Dream: At the end of the Tomodachi Life Direct Bill dreams that he is standing at a pier when a giant Reggie head rises from the sea. He is then awoken by Reggie, only to be awoken again this time by a production-crew member who tells him that he passed out.
- Memetic Hand Gesture: Putting both of your hands at the sides of your face and pointing outward with them when saying the word "Direct."
- Running Gag: People staring at fruits and vegetables. It started with Iwata staring at a bunch of bananas in the E3 2012 showcase, later that year Bill Trinen stared at a tangerine in the same way, and yet again with Lego Iwata holding a carrot.