- Anime and Manga
- Animated Films
- Live-Action Films
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
open/close all folders
- An advertisement from about 10 years ago (probably for an Internet search engine or some such) has as its tagline, "There's fun stuff everywhere. You just need to know where to look." In the immediate foreground we see a dour-faced man stepping out of a subway car while further back in the subway station, almost too far away to be seen, the doors to another subway car are opening and several circus clowns are stepping out! Made even funnier by the fact that the clowns have dour facial expressions, too.
- State Farm has a commercial out now (2011) featuring a guy claiming the money he saved on insurance bought him a falcon. The end of the commercial draws attention to a guy who used his savings to buy samurai armor, but throughout the commercial there are people walking by with all sorts of things, including a cockatoo, a clown car, a stuffed moose head, etc.
- During the Compare the Meerkat advert "The Battle Of Fearlessness" there are two soldier meerkats throwing sandballs at each other near the start.
- One of the commercials for Mio Energy involves every scene having something different. The only thing that doesn't change is an older worker pushing a cart.
- A series of commercials for Food Lion (a regional grocery chain in the southeastern US) features the Food Lion mascot, a talking lion. In one of the commercials, the lion talks with a stereotypically embarrassing smother who makes snacks for a sullen teen's Garage Band. She and the lion make snack choices that embarrass her son, ("Mom! Fishsticks. Do Not. Rock!") but almost imperceptibly, one of his bandmates actually agrees with the mom, and is excited about those snack choices.
- There's an insurance commercial in which a tailor is outfitting the ad's spokesman in a custom-made suit, pinning sections of material in place as his client talks about Allstate. There's a three-quarter-length portrait on the wall behind them, which shows the client in real time: the first time it's shown he has no sleeves, in the second glimpse his left sleeve has been attached, and in the last shot of the painting he's fully suited with hands folded, exactly as the man stands in front of it.
- In New Chance, Konoha's council is still reeling from finding out Naruto's father is alive. All while Inuzuka Tsume is trying to stop her dog from eating the human heart (It Makes Sense in Context) in the dustbin near them.
- In Mega Man: Defender of the Human Race, in episode 9, Quick Man was still running when the black hole shut down, resulting in him crashing through a wall with Efficient Displacement.
- Monsters In Paradise: In Chapter Six, Yukari's Ninetales tries to squeeze into a booth next to her while the youkai carries on a serious conversation with someone, oblivious to it all.
- In the story Kitsune's Power, Kakashi and Anko have a discussion about how Anko has been training her apprentice and how bad Kakashi's team is while in the background, Naruto and Zabuza decimate the local forest as they battle.
- There are two of note in a million miles of fun: The first is the manager of the Greasy Spoon at which the fic takes place informing the waitress that spirits still have to pay with human currency. The second is the truckers gawking in the background as P'Li devours enough for the whole Quirky Miniboss Squad.
- In an untitled fic which is essentially a music video screenplay, the narrator mentions offhand that Mab is poisoning Titania's drink.
- In A Snake Without Fangs, a Wild Kratts fic, there's a scene where Zachbots are teleported into a fight looking like giant terrifying hornets because Zach Varmitech has actually been taking some lessons from nature and wanted them to look more threatening. One Zachbot in the background is still actively painting itself, stencils and all, and seems startled to be there.
- A few examples from Pokémon Reset Bloodlines:
- In Chapter 18, while Iris discusses with Ash how to train Goomy for offensive moves and evolving, Charmeleon gets into a Metal Claw fight with Excadrill, breaking a bunch of trees in the process. Their trainers just ignore them.
- In Cynthia's oneshot, while she is seeing visions of the past and possible future, she sees her birth. Her father is eating a muffin the entire length of it.
- At least twice in Chapter 24, Team Rocket was heard being sent blasting off.
- These are seen in MAD, most often in their television or film parodies.
- Vanity Police's video for "The Things You Don't Mean" has a rather hilarious moment at 1:18 where a kitten walks onto the set in the middle of the video and starts batting at the scenery. You have to wonder who didn't make sure that the cat couldn't get in while they were filming it...
- In The Beatles song "Girl," the word "tit" gets repeatedly chanted in the background of the the middle eight.
- The video for "Day Tripper". John and Paul sing blissfully with their guitars, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Ringo Starr is destroying parts of the set with a saw. To cap it off, only George notices.
- A black-and-white performance video of The Beatles' "We Can Work It Out" has John sitting at the harmonium making goofy faces, sometimes playing one note at a time, and peering mischievously towards the camera, while Paul does his best not to lose his composure.
- In the music video for Fall Out Boy's song “Just One Yesterday”, guest singer Foxes decides to climb halfway out of the car she's driving to sing her verse with the wind dramatically blowing her hair. Meanwhile, we see Patrick desperately trying to control the car from the passenger seat.
- Towards the end of *NSYNC's music video for "This I Promise You", the boys are seated at an outdoor cafe and Joey is putting ketchup on his food while the others are singing. And in another shot, Lance and Joey appear to be having a conversation while Justin sings to the camera.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic's music video for "Smells Like Nirvana" includes in the background among other things a guy on fire, a basketball game, and various people crowdsurfing.
- The one for "Like a Surgeon" has events like a doctor washing his feet in a sink and a lion casually strolling across the set.
- van Canto:
- In the news segment in the video for "Badaboom", the news ticker reads "A Storm To Come from dusk till Dawn Of The Brave", referencing two of the band's albums.
- In Sabaton's practice room in the same video, a van Canto poster can be seen on the wall.
- The Axis of Awesome has several in their 4 Chords video:
- "Benny Sucks" floats in behind Benny during "Hey Soul Sister"
- The two different Lees notice each other and wave at each other during "Let It Be"
- During America's Funniest Home Videos, Benny kicks Jordan in the crotch.
- During the "Take On Me"/"When I Come Around" medley, Lee walks in, still in the Spice Girls costume from the previous bit.
- Lee holds a flame in his hands during the "Love the Way You Lie" section, then runs through the background while on fire during "It's My Life"
- Lee plays with the Barbie and plush lion from earlier in the video at the end, making them kiss.
- Not as frequent as a Meaningful Background Event, which generally occurs when wrestlers run in without any music announcing, but every now and then you have something hilarious going on in the background.
- An unintentional one happened at the WWF Free For All (a pre-game show) before the first No Way Out. Vader was being interviewed by Sunny, and near the end, a nearby door opens and Road Warrior Hawk steps out, looks around, and quickly backs away. The look on his face was priceless.
- During the in-ring introductions for the ECW World Television Champion Taz vs. Bam Bam Bigelow match at ECW Living Dangerously, March 1, 1998, a fan in the crowd was able to get a "TAZ FEARS GOLDBERG" sign positioned right above and behind Taz's head.
- Famously, during a match that ended up backstage between Booker T and The Big Show, Triple H and Ric Flair seemingly randomly drove a forklift by the match.
- While Vince McMahon was doing a walk to his limo (where he would eventually be "killed" in an explosion), you could see him pass by Paul London who, in contrast to the serious mood the production was attempting to set, was visibly trying not to crack up. (This incident was rumored to be why he was fired later.)
- During the La Rosa Negra's defenses of the Ring Warriors Battling Bombshells belt against Santana Garrett, Garrett's manager Fabulous Frank would attempt to run off with the title while while the champ was preoccupied, only to be continually thwarted by Negra's manager, Rhianna Ali.
- July 7, 2014: During a match between Bo Dallas and El Torito, someone in the crowd yelled, "Motherfucker!" The rest of the crowd starts looking around trying to find who said that.
- October 20, 2014: Someone in the crowd held up a sign with Madoka Kaname from Puella Magi Madoka Magica on it. It has gone viral.
- Dean Ambrose attacks The Authority and a hotdog cart is involved. During the attack, Randy Orton hides and munches on a hotdog from the cart.
- Pretty much everything not happening at the commentary was either awesome or hilarious during the six way scramble match at Supercard Of Honor X. Related to this trope were The Boys continually trying to support Dalton Castle while steadily keeping distance between themselves and Taeler Hendrix as she tried seduce them, periodically getting a break when Hendrix would switch targets and attempt to assault Prince Nana. Later during Jay Lethal's title defense against Lio Rush Taeler Hendrix was playing with Will Ferrara's beard while he was doing commentary.
- Bayley's entrance involves inflatable tube men. One time, during a tag team match with Sheamus and Cesaro, Sheamus can be seen looking at the tube men in complete disbelief.
- Sadly, 99% of the funny background events get edited out of the final versions of AJCO roleplays, but every now and then an observant player will send a screencap into the out of context blog. The best examples tend to feature players abusing Minecraft's weapon and animal naming features.
- Destroy the Godmodder: is full of them. What is relevant to the plot isn't always what attracts the attention of the players...
- TT2000 recently declared war on Minor's fly armies.
- Then in the off-topic thread Opel and TT started arguing over how stupid it was.
- engie and piono introduced each other to their split personalities.
- Followed by eye rolling and sarcastic remarks from other posters and the forum equivalent of a facepalm from Twinbuilder.
- Some of the mini-flame wars that occasionally start between the players.
- Made funnier by the rest of the players telling them to shut up, and once even the godmodder stepping in to shut it down.
- TT2000 recently declared war on Minor's fly armies.
- Faith Testers: Any time Matias's Staff is given any mention in the text 90% of it is funny background events. 
- That little tidbit of text isn't nearly as funny without the context of all of the said staff is female and was fawning over one of the party being yelled at (ie. Miximac)... which caused the mess above to happen.
- Mixed Martial Arts: During UFC 182, two of Joe Rogan's male comedian friends sitting at cageside waited until they were both on-camera in the background of an ongoing fight and then made out.
- Magic: The Gathering features a few.
- Ekundu Cyclops features a cyclops jumping on a tree branch that looks like an erect, circumcised penis. A female is straddling the branch, with several mushrooms aimed at her butt.
- The monkeys in the background of the art of Uktabi Orangutan are in a rather...interesting position. Also the monkeys in the background of Uktabi Kong.
- The Star Wars Customizable Card Game loves these. Mostly they're ones from the movie, but they sometimes hide things like superimposing a price tag that reads "$6,000,000" on Luke's hand, with the flavor text "...better, stronger, faster."
- In at least one Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park production of A Christmas Carol, when Scrooge is in the future listening to the businessmen discussing his funeral, the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come stands calmly in the background, reading the newspaper.
- In Wicked, while the focus is on Elphaba, Nessarose makes some fairly hilarious hand gestures when she sings "Munchkin boy". (Poor Boq.)
- In Haunted by Eric Chappell, the ghost of Lord Byron haunts a writer going through a mid-life crisis. The woman he's having an affair with (another writer) comes in brandishing a newspaper review, which she tells him to read, but says not to look at her quoted age. Byron's ghost, being present at the time and only visible to the protagonist has a great opportunity to look over her shoulder at the review, double-check how old the female writer is, and react with some degree of incredulity.
- In Pokémon Live!, during the Dark Reprise of "You And Me and Pokemon", Professor Oak is banging on the bars of the cage he's locked in and climbing on them.
- During "Double Trouble," Giovanni nurses a migraine as Jessie and James sing.
- In A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, during the last part of the beautiful song "Inside Out," we see Henry D'ysquith helplessly running from the killer bees, lured by a magical dose of English lavender sprayed on the beekeeping helmet, that lead to his tragic demise.
- Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D at Walt Disney World has this at least twice. It's fairly obvious that while Dr. Bunsen is explaining his invention, Beaker is getting heavily pounded by said invention. But most viewers of the 3D film are too busy watching Kermit give a tour of the inside of Muppet Labs to notice that in one scene, Scooter and Janice ride across the hallway in the background on a double-seat bicycle. Especially notable since it's one of the very few times you can see Muppets' legs.
- In Silver Crisis. there's a scene where Pit is telepathically communicating to Palutena about their newfound knowledge of the Big Bad, Silver and what he could be like. While the conversation goes on, Luigi and Ike's facial expressions in the background get progressively more and more weirded out as they witness what appears to them as [[Cloudcuckoolander Pit becoming more and more ecstatic while talking to himself.]]