Music / Animusic
is a two-man company that uses software they've developed to make computer animations out of MIDI-based music. These animations are made from the MIDI files, rather than animated separately from the music. In Layman's Terms
, music goes in, computer animation comes out.
Animusic have released two DVDs of their works, a single, "Glarpedge
", and a third DVD, consisting of 8 songs, is in development
.Animusic: A Computer Animation Video Album:
Animusic 2: A New Computer Animation Video Album:
- "Future Retro"
- "Stick Figures"
- "Aqua Harp"
- "Drum Machine"
- "Pipe Dream"
- "Acoustic Curves"
- "Harmonic Voltage"
- "Starship Groove"
- "Pogo Sticks"
- "Resonant Chamber"
- "Cathedral Pictures"
- "Pipe Dream 2"
- "Fiber Bundles"
- "Gyro Drums"
- "Heavy Light"
This series contains examples of:
- Acceptable Breaks from Reality: As Lampshaded and Justified by Wayne. A majority of the instruments likely wouldn't move the same way or work as well (if at all) in real life.
- Alien Sky: "Heavy Light" has quite a few of the gas giants float around in the background.
- The sky in "Resonant Chamber" appears to contain multiple moons.
- All-CGI Cartoon
- Bizarchitecture: Most of the videos qualify.
- "Heavy Light" takes this a step further by having the instruments built into the building.
- Bizarre Instrument: Some of the instruments in the videos.
- Bottomless Pits: Used in "Drum Machine", "Acoustic Curves", and "Gyro Drums".
- However, a floor is implied in Drum Machine (especially in the solo cam that shows all the gears), and the split-screen view of Gyro Drums shows a small circular light base which doesn't appear in the main animation.
- Clock Punk: "Resonant Chamber" features a massive, composite stringed instrument that looks like something out of Leonardo da Vinci's imagination and plays itself with jointed mechanical arms.
- Concept Art Gallery: Included as a bonus feature on the DVDs.
- Easter Egg: On the Animusic 2 DVD, there is a hidden loop button to the right of the main buttons.
- Ethereal Choir: Used in "Beyond the Walls", "Future Retro", "Fiber Bundles", and "Heavy Light".
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Commonly used in the videos.
- Funny Background Event: In "Starship Groove", whenever the red robot finishes any of his pieces for the song, he wobbles slightly to the rhythm and holds his arms out as if he's pleased with himself.
- Genre Shift: Often happens in the middle of a song.
- Gratuitous Panning: Used to great effect in the surround mix of "Gyro Drums".
- Hard Light: "Heavy Light", of course. They produce music and percussion. Also used for the percussion in "Fiber Bundles".
- Heavy Meta: "Acoustic Curves".
- Mood Whiplash: In "Resonant Chamber", most prominently at the climax.
- The Oner: "Drum Machine".
- One-Wheeled Wonder: The drum robots in "Beyond The Walls".
- Piano Key Wave: "Starship Groove", played with Yamaha's Disklavier piano.
- Pipe Maze: Around the rooms in the music videos for "Pipe Dream" and "Pipe Dream 2".
- Recurring Riff: The last quarter of "Symphonica" borrows the leitmotif of "Resonant Chamber" for several measures.
- Rock Me, Amadeus!: "Cathedral Pictures" contains excerpts from Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", specifically "Promenade","The Hut on Fowls Legs",and "The Great Gate of Kiev", all arranged for an organ, an electric bass, and drums.
- Series Mascot: A Chapman stick called "Mr. Stick", first appearing in "Stick Figures" and later on in "Pogo Sticks".
- Shout-Out: According to Word of God, "Fiber Bundles" was done In the Style of... the music from Ratchet & Clank.
- Signature Style: Combining the natural with the bizarre; robots playing otherwise traditional instruments seems to be a favorite.
- Humans never being seen is one of the most overarching aspects of the Animusic signature style. When the instruments aren't being played by robots, they play themselves.
- Slow Electricity: Used in "Harmonic Voltage" and "Fiber Bundles".
- Space Is Noisy: Seen in "Starship Groove".
- Stealth Pun: "Seventh Alloy" is a metal song in the 7/4 timeframe.
- Truck Driver's Gear Change: In "Acoustic Curves" note , "Seventh Alloy" note , and "Harmonic Voltage" note .
- Visual Pun: In "Pogo Sticks" the points where the instruments go under a bridge on the track are also the "bridges" of the song being played.
- Uncommon Time: "Starship Groove" is in 7/4 time, and parts of "Resonant Chamber" are in 5/4 time. The second half of "Drum Machine" is in the latter time frame, too.
- Weird Moon: Seen in "Resonant Chamber". There is a moon in each of the four windows, and each of them is at a different phase.note
- Zeerust: "Future Retro" uses futuristic sounds with retro-styled instruments.