Water pipes, ducts and similar things have a tendency to be arranged in ways that resemble great walls of metallic spaghetti.
This is especially common in videogames
that use thick pipes for Space-Filling Path
s, Insurmountable Waist High Fence
s, or just generic platforms in an Absurdly Spacious Sewer
or Eternal Engine
Can sometimes be Truth in Television
due to people taking the easy path out and just using whatever scrap parts they happened to have lying around.
- Parodied in the retro design of Terry Giliiam's Brazil, which had exposed ductwork everywhere. It even lampshaded the fact by having somebody advertise ducts on TV.
- The Three Stooges
- An underground area in The Goonies has one. Sloth pushes on a pipe and causes a traffic accident above.
- The first time Ken sees the Nuclear Utilisation Technology Centre in the Temps story "Leaks" by David Langford, he thinks "Ducts!" and expects to hear the background music from Brazil.
- Animusic's "Pipe Dream" and "Pipe Dream 2" videos have, as their names suggest, pipes that run around all of the instruments and around the walls. Some of them even launch balls to strike the instruments like mallets.
- SCP Foundation's SCP-015, a mass of pipes and plumbing work that have taken over an entire warehouse.
- A minigame on Cartoon Network.com, called Ed Edd n Eddy's Candy Machine, centers on building a huge jawbreaker delivery system in a grid. As you progress, the available parts get wackier, and using more crazy parts gets you higher points at the end of each level. There's a newer, "Deluxe" version with even more crazy parts.
- The back areas in Monsters, Inc.. where Randall carries out his evil experiments are practically made of complicated plumbing. They even made custom software for creating the piping.
- One episode of Futurama had an alien abduction of Fry happen via a needlessly complex tube similar to the famous screen-saver.
- Truth in Television: Visit a power plant sometime. The water/steam pipes really are arranged like this because all that stuff has to go somewhere.
- Refineries are basically made of 5 things: Metal beams, bright lights, tight catwalks, huge containers, all lined with and lots and lots of pipes.
- Pictured above, the Open GL Pipes screensaver introduced in Windows NT 4.0. Windows Vista removed it, but you can still copy the .SCR file from an older version for that retro feel. The more screens you have, the better the effect.