Video Game: Sonic The Hedgehog Triple Trouble
Released exclusively for the Sega Game Gear in 1994, Sonic Triple Trouble or Sonic & Tails 2 as it is known in Japan is the sequel to Sonic Chaos, and is widely considered one of the best Sonic games to appear on the handheld, mostly due to it being the closest in feel to its 16-Bit brothers on the Sega Genesis. It features the debut of Fang the Sniper (or Nack the Weasel, as he was initially known in English versions).Somehow finally collecting the six Chaos Emeralds without catching the attention of Sonic, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik was testing his latest weaponry when suddenly an accident scattered them once more. Robotnik was able to find one of them, but of course, Sonic and Tails learned about what happened, and now they're off to find the other five before Robotnik can. Expecting this would happen, Robotnik once again deceives Knuckles the Echidna into believing that Sonic and Tails are trying to steal the Emeralds. Thus, Knuckles becomes a nuisance that tries to inhibit the duo's progress. As all of this is happening, Fang the Sniper, a treasure-hunting weasel, has successfully located the other five during the commotion. Are you up to the challenge of thwarting this Triple Trouble?In addition to the Pogo Spring and Rocket Shoes from Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble also gives both playable characters (Sonic and Tails) their own special modes of travel. In Robotnik Winter Zone, Sonic can shred on a snowboard (far more flexible then in Ice Cap Zone in Sonic The Hedgehog 3), and in Tidal Plant Zone, he can equip himself with scuba jets, which actually allow the blue hedgehog, well known for his super drowning skills, to swim, though for a limited time. Meanwhile, Tails in Tidal Plant Zone can pilot the Sea Fox submarine, which comes equipped with a torpedo launcher and easy up-and-down movement while underwater. Tails would use the Sea Fox again in Tails Adventure.Amusingly, on the American and European boxarts, Robotnik is depicted in a slightly modified version of his Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog incarnation (this also happened on the North American boxart for the Game Gear port of Sonic Spinball, even though the Genesis original used the Classic Robotnik; one of many reasons no one mentions the Game Gear version).
This game provides examples of:
- Amusement Park of Doom: Sunset Park Zone.
- Comic Book Adaptation: A 48-page special by Archie Comics.
- Cool Plane: The Tornado, which appears in some of the Special Stages.
- Distressed Dude: After battling Robotnik in Atomic Destroyer Zone, Knuckles is shown held in a small prison capsule (presumably since he failed to defeat Sonic in the previous Zone), which Sonic then destroys, letting him free.
- Down the Drain: Tidal Plant Zone.
- Eternal Engine: Atomic Destroyer Zone.
- Evil Overlooker: Robotnik in the North American and European box art.
- Green Hill Zone: Great Turquoise Zone.
- Jungle Japes: Meta Junglira Zone.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Robotnik Winter Zone.
- Sound Test: Unlike in Chaos, the Sound Test in Triple Trouble does not require a cheat code to access it.
- Terrible Trio: Eggman, Knuckles (by virtue of his gullibility), and Fang, hence the English market title.
- Turtle Power: The first boss of the game is a metallic flying turtle.
- Underwater Base: Tidal Plant Zone seems pretty industrial. It's effectively Labyrinth Zone but with even more water and more machines.
- Underwater Boss Battle: Surprisingly, the first part of the first boss has you underwater, jumping out to hit a turtle robot. Tidal Plant Zone's boss much later in the game is entirely underwater.
- Warm-Up Boss: The first boss, a flying turtle, is actually incapable of directly harming you—the only way it can is for you to get knocked into it by a spring moto-bug while being out of your ball form.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: A possible reason for Eggman imprisoning Knuckles in Atomic Destroyer Zone's third Act.
- Zero-Effort Boss: Some of the boss encounters with Fang in the special stages. In the first Special Stage, he quite literally hits a switch and fries himself.
Alternative Title(s):Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos UsefulNotes/The 16-bit Era of Console Video Games Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine