in Japan) is a 1996 Game Gear Sonic the Hedgehog
game, and the second-last game Sega
released for that system, preceding The Lost World: Jurassic Park
. (As usual, it was also converted to the Sega Master System
for the Brazilian market.) Being released late in the console's lifespan, the game experiments with pre-rendered graphics Donkey Kong Country
style, with a limited success given the reduced horsepower behind the system. The title allows the player to pick from Knuckles, with his signature gliding and climbing, or Sonic, who can double jump. An oddity of the game is the amount of rings one loses from a hit varies from 10 to 30 depending on the source of damage, as well as Eggman only taking damage of he gets hit on the windshield of his Eggmobile.
The game can be found on Sonic Adventure DX
and Sonic Mega Collection Plus
, and as an unlockable demo on Sonic Gems Collection
Not to be confused with Sonic 3D Blast
(Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
) (although the two were marketed alongside each other). Nor Sonic Robo Blast 2
. Nor Sonic Blast Man
. Nor the NES
hack Sonic 3D Blast 5
- Advancing Wall of Doom: At some parts of Silver Castle, spiked walls will chase after you.
- Bonus Stage: Act 1 and 2 of each world have one, with the first act stage giving you a 1-up for beating it, while Act 2s bonus stages will give you a Chaos Emerald for beating them.
- Collapsing Lair: Silver Castle crashes into the ocean in the ending.
- Convection Schmonvection: Featured in Red Volcano.
- Double Jump: Sonic has one in this game.
- Eternal Engine: Silver Castle.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The Coconut badniks from Green Hill.
- Everything's Worse with Bees: The buzzbomber-esque badniks from Green Hill.
- Golden Ending: While both endings are identical, the real ending dosen't show Robotnik escaping from the Silver Castle.
- Kaizo Trap: If you run out of air during Blue Marine's boss encounter, you have to fight it all over again, even if you're in the victory pose.
- Kill Sat: Silver Castle is presumably this, due to its similar appearance to the Death Egg.
- One Hundred Rings: Collecting 100 rings gets you a free one-up...but immediately resets your ring counter back to zero.
- Oxygenated Underwater Bubbles: In Blue Marine.
- Quicksand Sucks: Featured in Yellow Desert Act 2.
- Sprite/Polygon Mix: Pre-rendered 3-D models for Sonic, Knuckles and the Badniks, but 2-D sprites for everything else.
- Tennis Boss: Silver Castle Zone.
- Theme Naming: Each of the five worlds is named after a color: Green Hill Zone, Yellow Desert, Red Volcano, Blue Marine and Silver Castle.
- Timed Mission: Ten minutes for each act.
- True Final Boss: Depending on whether you have all the Emeralds or not by the time you beat Silver Castle's boss, you immediately confront the real final boss.
- Underwater Boss Battle: Blue Marine zone. Extra air is only provided by the enemy striking the ground.
- Video Game Settings:
- Villain Exit Stage Left: Robotnik flees Silver Castle when it crashes into the ocean in the Bad Ending, but dosen't in the Good Ending.
- Visual Pun: The true final boss is, of all things, a cracked egg.