in Japan) is a 1996 Game Gear Sonic the Hedgehog
game, and the second-last game Sega
released for that system, preceding The Lost World: Jurassic Park
. (As usual, it was also converted to the Sega Master System
for the Brazilian market.) It is notable for being the last side-scrolling Sonic game released prior to the Game.Com port of Sonic Jam
& Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
, as well as for having pre-rendered graphics à la Donkey Kong Country
. It is also the first handheld sonic game where Knuckles is fully playable. This game is also notable for being the first Sonic game where Sonic can double-jump, and only loses 10 rings per hit instead of all of them.
The game can be found on Sonic Adventure DX
and Sonic Mega Collection Plus
, and as an unlockable demo on Sonic Gems Collection
Not to be confused with Sonic 3D Blast
(Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
) (although the two were marketed alongside each other). Nor Sonic Robo Blast 2
. Nor Sonic Blast Man
. Nor the NES
hack Sonic 3D Blast 5
- Advancing Wall of Doom: At some parts of Silver Castle, spiked walls will chase after you.
- Bonus Stage: Act 1 and 2 of each world have one, with the first act stage giving you a 1-up for beating it, while Act 2s bonus stages will give you a Chaos Emerald for beating them.
- Collapsing Lair: Silver Castle crashes into the ocean in the ending.
- Convection Schmonvection: Featured in Red Volcano.
- Double Jump: Sonic has one in this game.
- Eternal Engine: Silver Castle.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The Coconut badniks from Green Hill.
- Everything's Worse with Bees: The buzzbomber-esque badniks from Green Hill.
- Golden Ending: While both endings are identical, the real ending dosen't show Robotnik escaping from the Silver Castle.
- Kaizo Trap: If you run out of air during Blue Marine's boss encounter, you have to fight it all over again, even if you're in the victory pose.
- Kill Sat: Silver Castle is presumably this, due to its similar appearance to the Death Egg.
- One Hundred Rings: Collecting 100 rings gets you a free one-up...but immediately resets your ring counter back to zero.
- Oxygenated Underwater Bubbles: In Blue Marine.
- Quicksand Sucks: Featured in Yellow Desert Act 2.
- Sprite/Polygon Mix: Pre-rendered 3-D models for Sonic, Knuckles and the Badniks, but 2-D sprites for everything else.
- Tennis Boss: Silver Castle Zone.
- Theme Naming: Each of the five worlds is named after a color: Green Hill Zone, Yellow Desert, Red Volcano, Blue Marine and Silver Castle.
- Timed Mission: Ten minutes for each act.
- True Final Boss: Depending on whether you have all the Emeralds or not by the time you beat Silver Castle's boss, you immediately confront the real final boss.
- Underwater Boss Battle: Blue Marine zone. Extra air is only provided by the enemy striking the ground.
- Video Game Settings:
- Villain Exit Stage Left: Robotnik flees Silver Castle when it crashes into the ocean in the Bad Ending, but dosen't in the Good Ending.
- Visual Pun: The true final boss is, of all things, a cracked egg.